Not happy.... yet. i would like offline features because i use maps a lot up north where there are no data signals.

My old samsung tablet can do it

Z10 STL100-2
    04-17-13 08:29 PM

My old samsung tablet can do it

Z10 STL100-2
    That's nice.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 12:03 AM
    Wow it must have sucked on the old OS.

Nowhere near as good as Google maps. No transit sucks

Posted via CB10
    This is correct. The current map for BlackBerry Maps there ate missing key features. I would honestly like to see information for public transit, cycling and walking trails. They are many more things that can be done for this native app.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 12:11 AM
    Sorry, can't take anything named Tom Tom serious. By the way, Google licenses Tom Tom content.
    Attachment 151867

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.0.10.85)
    It appears that TomTom no longer uses Google local search: Local Search with Google has been replaced by TomTom Places.

The key sentence is, "Google will discontinue the Local Search service, that we currently use, on 29 November 2012." So this is another example of Google withdrawing a service, and the result for us is a less robust search service. It looks like TomTom Places just isn't as good.

But I don't understand how the app "Find Near Me," which claims to use Google local search, can exist if Google has shut down the service. This app, by the way, would be a solution to the problem of weak location search in BB Maps if it worked more smoothly and passed results directly to BB Maps. Currently it does neither.
    04-18-13 10:41 AM
    It is powered by Bing.

"...., we relied on the Blackberry Z10 to direct us around in the city of Amsterdam using the handset's built-in custom Bing Maps application."

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...red-smartphone

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 12:31 PM
    i agree with the OP, it works exactly as i would want it to work almost like it reads my mind. good on Blackberry.
    04-18-13 12:34 PM
    It is powered by Bing.

"...., we relied on the Blackberry Z10 to direct us around in the city of Amsterdam using the handset's built-in custom Bing Maps application."

Blackberry Z10: A week with the Blackberry 10 powered smartphone- The Inquirer

Posted via CB10
    I don't consider that article authoritative, in view of RIM partners with TomTom for real-time traffic data and mapping | CrackBerry.com and BlackBerry Z10: 48 hours with BB10's touch-screen handset | ZDNet and BB10 Interview With the QNX Boss of BlackBerry OS.

"We also got a confirmation that the maps application was custom developed for BlackBerry 10 by TeleCommunication Systems (TCS), while the maps, points of interest and traffic data is from TomTom."

I think the theinquirer.net article just got it wrong, which is too bad, since Bing is a robust search tool and it has public transit data.
    04-18-13 12:42 PM
    I love the maps. My car is in the shop so I'm using my Z10 for navigation. It works perfectly although I don't know how to change settings like avoiding toll roads and I do wish it would go landscape so I could just put it on the car 's console.

The real gripe however is not being able to click an address in an email and open maps. Even the way it is it's very very difficult copying and pasting. VERY DIFFICULT.
    04-18-13 06:24 PM
    I need some help...

Two things that I am struggling :

1. Traffic is not working
    2. When navigating, I am always stuck on 2D mode, and does not refresh the position. I am aware that others are using 2.5D mode which is easier (at for me) .

Any one knows why?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by digitalman101; 04-20-13 at 08:29 AM.
    04-20-13 06:32 AM
    I'm doing a side by side comparison with BlackBerry Maps and Google Maps on my Galaxy and I discovered another annoying thing about the Google Maps. That version kept returning failed results because I put in Landover,Md but Google only recognizes Hyattsville (even try it's the same zip code). When I started typing in the address in my Z10, it offered hints (suggestions). So even though I started to type the Landover, BlackBerry allowed me to choose the other option.
    04-20-13 08:38 PM
    If it works..... Google nap is still better
    04-21-13 04:49 PM
    I would like the map to point in the direction I'm travelling. Ie if I'm headed south than south should be at the top of the screen. If east than east should be at the top.

Anybody else want this feature.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 11:20 AM
    I've been using Waze, but last night I decided to try BB Maps again. I was taking someone home from an unfamiliar area, so I put the address in and waited for the route, which happened to go via I-95 for part of the way. Since a number of people have complained that the ETA or estimated duration of travel time doesn't take traffic conditions into consideration, I kept an eye on that.

As I drove onto the I-95 entrance ramp, BB Maps alerted me that an accident had been reported and there was heavy congestion ahead. I never heard it do that before. I watched the estimated time and saw it change. There was indeed an accident and heavy congestion on I-95, so the drive took at least twice as long as it would have under normal conditions, especially late at night.

Nevertheless, the actual arrival time was exactly what BB Maps had updated to after reporting congestion ahead. This experiment is only a one-off, of course, but I thought it worth sharing. This was version 10.0.0.639 on leaked OS .1762, if that's of any interest. If there was going to be a mismatch between ETA and actual arrival time due to traffic, it would have shown up last night, but it didn't.

Of course there may be quite a bit of variability in how well Maps gets reliable traffic info. Has anyone else heard real-time accident reports on BB Maps? This was a first for me.
    geekaren likes this.
    05-18-13 12:58 PM
138 ... 456