I'm using Android Google Maps 1.61403.401 as a side loaded app. It works well when it works, but crashes regularly. Does anyone know of an Android Google Maps version that works reliably on the Z10, and if so, where to get it?
    04-16-13 08:14 PM
    Magellan compass is what I use and it works awesome.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    04-16-13 08:25 PM
    For some reason I tortured myself with side loaded Google maps. Native works a million times better and works for all of my needs.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 08:35 PM
    Maps is not fantastic it's average at best and IMHO a very poor navigation app, as are ALL of the download on the fly model apps. Google Maps is also poor and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to try using a professional grade application for a while.

Whatever numbskull designs any navigation aid that relies on a mobile phone signal to pull it's data down on the fly deserves a kick up the rear ... There are times when you may be in a different country and want navigation, then get home to find you have a huge phone bill for the roaming data. Or you may be out in the sticks and need navigation and have no mobile service in that location, in that case no navigation either.

I dismayed of the OEM offering, having used Nokias excellent Maps program that downloads the data to your phone via your pc as a one off download. Until I found Mireo Don't Panic .....

Mireo

BlackBerry World - Mireo DON'T PANIC Try and Buy

Attachment 151663

Fantastic.... I tried the 1 week trial, they had a small problem initially with landscape mode, but within days released and update that resolved it. Once that was OK I happily paid for the Western Europe map, around �13 I think. It really is a fantastic product.

Bin your BB Maps/Google Maps etc etc and all others using the download model and just buy Mireo !
    i just spent the effort of downloading this free trial and downloading the 2 gb of maps along with it. it doesn't even find my zip code. and i'm in los angeles. not on the outskirts of los angeles, like the heart of los angeles, directly next to city hall. doesn't find 15 restaurants around me i tried, doesn't find my zip code, or the 100 year old building i'm living in. this app is not usable, let alone an answer to something.

i've deleted the app and removed it from app world, the 2gb of data it took up is still there somehow though and i have no way of knowing how to get rid of it. this is where free access to a file system comes in handy.
    Last edited by katiepea; 04-16-13 at 10:36 PM.
    04-16-13 10:20 PM
    i just spent the effort of downloading this free trial and downloading the 2 gb of maps along with it. it doesn't even find my zip code. and i'm in los angeles. not on the outskirts of los angeles, like the heart of los angeles, directly next to city hall. doesn't find 15 restaurants around me i tried, doesn't find my zip code, or the 100 year old building i'm living in. this app is not usable, let alone an answer to something.

i've deleted the app and removed it from app world, the 2gb of data it took up is still there somehow though and i have no way of knowing how to get rid of it. this is where free access to a file system comes in handy.
    Don't panic? Sorry, couldn't resist. A wipe or reinstall would fix that, but we really need better core utilities.

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.0.10.85)
    04-16-13 10:52 PM
    Don't panic? Sorry, couldn't resist. A wipe or reinstall would fix that, but we really need better core utilities.

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.0.10.85)
    A wipe? That's insane overkill.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 11:41 PM
    yeah I read a review(s) talking how if you thought the apple maps fiasco was something, then you would be horrified by BB maps...I don't get it. I've used BB AND Google and maybe I just don't know what the f*&# I'm doing, but what exactly makes BB maps suck? Google is always the one giving me the STUPID route that goes in circles while BB maps does just fine MORE OFTEN than Google. Not scientific, I know, but....I reject your reality and substitute my own!
    I agree totally.

Maybe Google Maps is good in some areas, but my experience with BB Maps has been superior to Google Maps.
    04-17-13 04:28 AM

Delete it from the available items in bb world and restart the phone

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 06:15 AM
    Delete it from the available items in bb world and restart the phone

Posted via CB10
    What if you paid for that app and you might want to use it at a later time?

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 06:32 AM
    It would help if we had a better local search tool, such as Poynt, integrated with BB maps, to offset its sketchiness in that area. BlackBerry's philosophy is supposed to be all able partnering. Foursquare is okay for some things, but we need more.
    I've used Poynt for several years before Z10.

The first time I turned on BB Maps and used the "search" tool in BB Maps......... my first thought was .... 'this is fantastic, I don't even need Poynt'. I have found the search tool on BB Maps to be extremely capable without the use of partner product. (this was often not the case in the old BB Maps tool as I used Poynt often).

Anyway ..... I've been very impressed with BB Maps on Z10 and at this point would consider it a waste of time to even try any other navigation/mapping app.

BB Maps has been great!!!!

What is even more amazing......... AT&T hasn't tried to block it like they did on all previous BB's and I haven't had to maintain a workaround to use BB Maps!!
    04-17-13 06:46 AM

Hi Katie

I asked the support guys at Mireo for you and they responded ...

"Hi Steve,

We keep our data in the application sandbox as is recommended from Blackberry.
    Entire sandbox should be deleted when application is deleted.
    Procedure to do so is explained in Deleting apps - How To - BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone - 10.0.0.

---
    Boris"

HTH?
    04-17-13 07:11 AM
    We need to distinguish the different areas where BB Maps needs improvement. In my experience, the actual routing aspect of BB Maps works fine, and sometimes better than Google Maps. That is, when I'm testing in areas where I know my way around, and run BB Maps and Google Maps (on my wife's iPhone) side-by-side, BB Maps often gives me the better/simpler route. Google Maps has a tendency to direct me to "shortcuts" that involve zigzagging through side streets and end up taking longer. This doesn't always happen, of course, but it's something I've seen more than just once or twice.

Clearly Google Maps has more features, in terms of how and what it displays. I don't think there's any dispute about that. Some people would like to see BB add some of those features to BB Maps; others would like to have the minimalism of BB Traffic.

Although opinions have varied, I think Google Maps has the advantage on local search and POI. I don't see how it could be otherwise. Google is, above all else, about searching. This is their primary business, and I don't think BB or anyone else, with the possible exception of MS/Bing, is going to rival them in this. The only way BB Maps can improve in this area would be to integrate Google search somehow. If BB Maps could provide Google search results, which could be passed to Maps within the app, that would go a long way toward making BB Maps a better tool. I don't know if this is feasible on technical or legal levels.
    agp101 likes this.
    04-17-13 07:34 AM
    BlackBerry maps definitely needs help on just finding locations. Just from my use, I looked for3 locations. BlackBerry maps found 1. The other 2 locations I checked with Google maps which is side loaded and it found them right away. Using the actual navigation is nice though.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 07:43 AM
    I never understood why people make this big deal about the maps not having walking or transit options. Who gives a crap... If you are walking then any application will do.. I don't need to know it will take a me a week to walk from state to another.
    I agree that for walking directions, Google or Nokia maps in the browser is more than adequate. You don't need spoken turn by turn for that.

But I don't agree that...

Transit option is stupid.. The transit system runs the same courses every day.. if you ride public transit and still don't know which bus/train to get on by now then you are utterly hopeless.
    News alert: People sometimes visit cities where they don't know their way around, and don't know the transit routes or schedules. In this situation, transit info is very valuable. I've been in this situation more than once, and Google Maps was a real asset. That said, the GM web app in the browser (or the Nokia one) works just fine for this.

Granted, it's nice to have all of this functionality rolled into a single mapping/navigation app. If Google Maps were on my Z10 I'd be using it. But this is one of the things I had to think about when deciding to get the Z10 in the first place. What would I be giving up in moving from Android to BB10. On reflection, I realized that I wouldn't be giving up transit directions; I'd just be accessing them in a somewhat different way. For me, this is something I need only once a year or so; not a dealbreaker not to have it in my navigation app. Others may have different needs though.

But I use the driving directions much more frequently (though not as much as people who are constantly on the road in their job), so I want that aspect of the app to be as good as possible. That includes being able to search and find things I'm looking for. And it includes real-time feedback about traffic conditions, alternate routes, etc. This is where BB Maps needs some work.
    BerryWizard likes this.
    04-17-13 10:15 AM
    I like the blackberry maps. I think they've done a great job with a native GPS device.

My only wish here was that it would work in Landscape mode. I don't know why i prefer it in landscape but I do.
    04-17-13 10:20 AM
    All that said, i wish the google maps integration with the browswer was better. I like to use the map that pops up in google results sometimes and it just seems to not quite work perfectly
    04-17-13 10:21 AM
    My only wish here was that it would work in Landscape mode. I don't know why i prefer it in landscape but I do.
    A lot of people have that preference. Personally, I'm fine with portrait mode; it gives me a better view of the direction I'm traveling in.

That said, if we were to get a BB Traffic mode, with no maps at all, just information about the route, intersection diagrams, etc., I might use that instead.
    04-17-13 10:25 AM
    Also when using directions its ok. It points in the direction you're going but the map is always oriented north.

Any way to change that. Have I missed something

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 10:39 AM
    No its not

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 11:21 AM
    Sorry I miscommunication.

In nav mode with a direction set its great. Points in direction I'm going.

In map mode without nav destination north is always at the top of the screen rather than the direction I'm going.

I want the direction I'm going in to be at the top of the screen

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 12:05 PM
    It is powered by Bing.

"...., we relied on the Blackberry Z10 to direct us around in the city of Amsterdam using the handset's built-in custom Bing Maps application."

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...red-smartphone

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 01:54 PM
    Wow it must have sucked on the old OS.

Nowhere near as good as Google maps. No transit sucks
    It's quite useful as a NAV unit, you can find apps for public transit (such as DC Metro).

The old App was decent just dog slow on the old phones.
    04-17-13 02:59 PM
    Check your directories likely the app loaded that data in its own folder.
    04-17-13 03:01 PM
    Maps left me stranded in Tokyo last week since BB 10 has not been released there yet. but downloaded some on-board maps vis this ripping fast hotel internet connection:
    Attachment 151319
    What app has on board maps??

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 03:04 PM
    I used the Maps application for the first time today and it worked flawlessly. I live in Chicago and used it to help me get to a place in one of the western suburbs .....about 30 miles from my home. I also had my phone linked to the Blackberry VM 605 hands free device. The directions were clear and concise. The app guided me right to the door of my destination. Naturally, I'll test it again to see if I continue to get accurate guidance.
    04-17-13 05:47 PM
138 ... 3456