I never understood why people make this big deal about the maps not having walking or transit options. Who gives a crap... If you are walking then any application will do.. I don't need to know it will take a me a week to walk from state to another. Transit option is stupid.. The transit system runs the same courses every day.. if you ride public transit and still don't know which bus/train to get on by now then you are utterly hopeless.
    Perhaps that is true where you live if the transit system is not that extensive (not been to Atlanta) but in a city like Paris or London where the transit system is huge and complex, getting from point A to B is not easy to figure out unless it is a trip you make regularly. Google Maps can plot several options to take you from where you happen to be to where you want to go and directs you to the starting point (walking directions).

Also, walking directions are useful. If you do not drive everywhere.
    04-16-13 02:42 PM
    I've been living with my garminfone still with free map updates that's still working but way behind the times otherwise. BB should have put a full blown tomtom application on the Z10 with onboard maps. Looks like Mireo might be the ticket for an on board map application.

Downloading bits and pieces is not a map solution, garmins latest product for iPhone and Android requires a data connection to start from what I've read, Nokia Maps seems OK just need to go with a windows phone. I really like the BB10/QNX platform and BBM for the family, debating on pulling the trigger..

I dont need a strike three and your out..
    1) I picked up a gateway tablet, first one to recognize my hand writing, no longer in production.
    2) Garminfone, one device phone and gps, that relationship died just out of the chute
    3) ???? Z10 or Catwalk I'm on T-mobile
    04-16-13 02:51 PM
    Maps is OK. Mireo is much better and works offline, try the free trial. The only thing it lacks is ETA.

Posted via CB10
    I believe ETA only shows up in landscape mode in the bottom right hand corner. But they only use a 24 hour clock...didn't see an option to change it to 12 hour...

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 02:51 PM
    The Z10 maps is powered by Bing. After a couple of updates it will be just as detailed and filled with options as the desktop version.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 03:22 PM
    The Z10 maps is powered by Bing. After a couple of updates it will be just as detailed and filled with options as the desktop version.

Posted via CB10
    no it isn't, it's tom tom based
    04-16-13 03:31 PM
    "we relied on the Blackberry Z10 to direct us around in the city of Amsterdam using the handset's built-in custom Bing Maps application." - http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...red-smartphone

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 03:41 PM
    @slparry, problem is, its not free. Sounds like a viable solution but at the end of the day you pay no matter how you try to flip it.
    Sure theres a cost but with Mireo it's a one of payment that's cheap whearas with the download model you could pay many times over especially if roaming.
    04-16-13 03:42 PM
    I've put it to good use also. Worked GREAT! Data usage was not bad either considering it uses online maps.
    Data consumption was approx. 20MB for 2-hours of continual use.
    20MB in 2 hours? I average 50MB-60MB per MONTH, which includes Google Maps app for an hour or more every weekday.
    04-16-13 03:51 PM
    I wouldn't go so far to say BlackBerry Maps can replace Garmin units for frequent travelers; however, it works well for my needs as a casual map user. I use it a couple of times a week. It definitely has room for improvements like having direction of travel information, current traveled speed, speed limits, pedestrian navigation, route simulation.
    04-16-13 03:58 PM
    BB10 maps was the first mapping app I had ever used, but I still love it.
    04-16-13 04:24 PM
    yeah I read a review(s) talking how if you thought the apple maps fiasco was something, then you would be horrified by BB maps...I don't get it. I've used BB AND Google and maybe I just don't know what the f*&# I'm doing, but what exactly makes BB maps suck? Google is always the one giving me the STUPID route that goes in circles while BB maps does just fine MORE OFTEN than Google. Not scientific, I know, but....I reject your reality and substitute my own!
    04-16-13 04:32 PM
    I find it funny that people buy a BB devices and then DEMAND Google products... Same with the iPhone5, maps sucks... we need Google Maps.

Then buy a GOOGLE DEVICE!
    04-16-13 04:32 PM
    I'm using Here maps. It works really well.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 04:43 PM
    I find it funny that people buy a BB devices and then DEMAND Google products... Same with the iPhone5, maps sucks... we need Google Maps.

I don't agree. Their maps are independent of Android. Existed way before Android came along. I just don't agree at all, it's not common sense to me.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by agp101; 04-16-13 at 07:25 PM.
    04-16-13 04:51 PM

where did anyone demand google maps? i think people would likely functionality that's on par with google maps. if your solution to bb maps being subpar is "just buy an android device if you want a better experience" then don't expect blackberry to fare to well. i do actually have multiple android devices and i would very much so like to only carry around the z10. it's not a bad thing to "demand" certain things from a product you've invested in, especially when your intention is to strengthen the brand.
    04-16-13 04:52 PM
    Wow it must have sucked on the old OS.

Posted via CB10
    Indeed...

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 05:23 PM
    Nowhere near as good as Google maps. No transit sucks
    For navigation, I love it a lot more the google maps on my other blackberry. However, I agree with you about it not having transit. Was the main reason I used google maps.
    04-16-13 05:50 PM
    Lol, l don't rely on it (i have an integrated nav system) but this map is not so good to be honest, a lot to upgrades will be needed to bring it on par with the majority of os out there

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 05:55 PM
    Quick fact: the name Tom Tom is both redundant and ridiculous.

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.0.10.85)
    04-16-13 06:17 PM
    yeah I read a review(s) talking how if you thought the apple maps fiasco was something, then you would be horrified by BB maps...I don't get it. I've used BB AND Google and maybe I just don't know what the f*&# I'm doing, but what exactly makes BB maps suck? Google is always the one giving me the STUPID route that goes in circles while BB maps does just fine MORE OFTEN than Google. Not scientific, I know, but....I reject your reality and substitute my own!
    There's what is some examples :
    1- integration with the other fonctions of the phone ( calendar, contacts, texts, bbm, email and browser:click on the business name/address and it will give you the option to navigate there. I think the os7 has this....) basically, were ever within the os i see an address, it should be able to recognize this input as an address in my area and bring an option just underneath the "Copy " to offers me to navigate there .

2- more accuracy for the address selection ( i leave in one of the major cities in Canada, Montreal not in Alaska! This thing still find ways to get me to the streets next to the one I'm looking for or to tell me it can't find the address)

3- road work alerts??! ( come in my city for one single day and you will understand why i need this....)

4- SPEED!! Noff said , i think you ever used this map you perfectly understand what i mean , the side loaded Google maps is ligne year faster. ( this should be number one if i placed them by importance .

5-public transportation option

6- this supposed to replace my bb traffic app right? So were is the
    "Send arrival time via text/emaill " option????

7- "Set as home " and "Set as work "
    There's a favorite option but it's not the same thing : with bb traffic i would use it to find the best way on a given day to be to work or come back home.i perfectly know these addresses, dont moke me. With the traffic density of my area it took 15 mins to make these one way trips on Monday...1 hour today to go and come back ! see why i need that?

Lastly, again a concern about traffics : it doesn't really give you the best route when you want to get there fast as it does not acknowledge the traffic density. It does show it to you but it doesn't use it to select the best route.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:28 PM
    Quick fact: the name Tom Tom is both redundant and ridiculous.

Fact : TOM TOM is an international standards and quality reference when it comes to GPS handheld devices.

Posted via CB10
    Sim_1 likes this.
    04-16-13 06:33 PM
    It would help if we had a better local search tool, such as Poynt, integrated with BB maps, to offset its sketchiness in that area. BlackBerry's philosophy is supposed to be all able partnering. Foursquare is okay for some things, but we need more.

I've been using Waze increasingly, instead of BlackBerry Maps. Apart from the clock glitch, it works well. I did try Mireo but it doesn't say the street names. I like to hear the street names when coming to a complicated intersection where "Turn Right" might not be enough information.

For a full suite of features, however, Google maps is hard to beat on a smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:58 PM
    Maps so far has been decent. It finds the locations that I'm looking for fairly accurately. HOWEVER, there is an issue that I'm having, which I hope somebody can help resolve.

When I click on a contact and click on their address, BlackBerry Maps loads up and shows me the location. I click on the big triangular arrow and the voice says "calculating route". From there, I click on "Start", and it does the "starting navigation". From there, the majority of the times, it just spins its wheels and then errors out telling me it can't locate my gps position. This happens whether I'm sitting in the car or out in a wide open parking lot, with full bars of reception. To resolve this, I reboot the phone. Note that rebooting doesn't always resolve the issue.

Other times, it works flawlessly and there are no problems. For example, I'm sitting at my desk in my house and I can get it to obtain a gps signal and do the navigation. Other times, it just gives me an error saying that it cannot locate my gps location.

Due to this inconsistency, I cannot rely on the Z10 as a primary GPS unit. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? If so, how do you resolve it? Currently running 10.0.10.85 on TMobile network.
    04-16-13 07:17 PM
    where did anyone demand google maps? i think people would likely functionality that's on par with google maps. if your solution to bb maps being subpar is "just buy an android device if you want a better experience" then don't expect blackberry to fare to well. i do actually have multiple android devices and i would very much so like to only carry around the z10. it's not a bad thing to "demand" certain things from a product you've invested in, especially when your intention is to strengthen the brand.
    Not in this thread, but others. I don't care either way, but it's a bit silly.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 08:03 PM
    Fact : TOM TOM is an international standards and quality reference when it comes to GPS handheld devices.
    Posted via CB10
    Sorry, can't take anything named Tom Tom serious. By the way, Google licenses Tom Tom content.
    Maps is just fantastic!-tomtom.jpg

04-16-13 08:03 PM
138 ... 23456