Mnemonic Phone Dialing. And it's coming in 10.1
    What's mnemonic phone dialing?

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 10:25 AM
    My z10 is inconsistent. With some contacts, after a long press on the text msg, the menu bar to the right opens with an option to call the number while other contacts only give me option to view contact card.
    I realized that some contacts did not transfer over from gmail properly (some mobile numbers listed as 'other' while some as listed 'mobile') which I believed to be the reason for the inconsistency but alas, I've just tried it on another contact whose number is listed as mobile & I was only given option to view that contacts card.
    Sure, once I have the contact card open it's easy to call the number but why does it not function the same for ALL contacts? Does anyone else have these inconsistencies for this topic? Try long pressing 5 or 6 different text messages & maybe let us know how your phone reacts.

Also, if you receive a call from a mobile number and long press the number in the hub, the menu on the right doesn't give the option to text that number.
    Yup. I have text messages from two different people, long press one and the black bar on the right gives the following options:

forward
    mark unread
    view contact
    search by subject
    search by sender
    select more
    delete

long press the other text and I get the following
    forward
    mark unread
    call
    add to contact (this is weird as this person is already in my contacts)
    search by subject
    select more
    the overflow (three dots) ----- tapping this gives the same options??
    delete

what is weird is that this person is already in my contacts
    04-15-13 10:27 AM
    Well I did some research and what I've found is that one of two things cause tapping the blue bar not to bring up the persons contact card. I haven't narrowed it down to which one yet.

1. You've made changes to a contact while an active text conversation exists with them.

2. You have renamed the chat using the Name Chat option from the overflow menu.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 10:37 AM
    I know exactly what the OP is trying to say. I, too, used this feature all the time when I was using my 9900. Having a call button like in BBM is not a bad idea.

Post via CB10 for Z10
    04-15-13 10:55 AM
    What's mnemonic phone dialing?

Posted via CB10
    Like how we used to have in BB7, where you can just type the contacts name in on the phone rather that digging through your contacts
    04-15-13 10:56 AM
    I do wish they implemented the direct call feature from the galaxy s line wherein you just move the phone to your ear while viewing messages to call the contact. That would be awesome.

Posted via CB10
    I never used that feature but really liked how from a message or call log you could just swipe left to msg that number or right to call. In my wishlist of upgrades, that would be near the top.
    04-15-13 12:53 PM
    You don't think it would be annoying to accidentally call people because you moved your phone a certain way?

Posted via CB10
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    04-15-13 06:34 PM
    You don't think it would be annoying to accidentally call people because you moved your phone a certain way?

Posted via CB10
    It would become annoying only to those that have a habit of covering the top of phone while typing. It's the proximity sensor that would be the issue. A simple covering of the sensor would call the person. I'm pretty sure there would be a setting to disable

Sent From My BlackBerry Z10
    04-15-13 06:57 PM
    Like how we used to have in BB7, where you can just type the contacts name in on the phone rather that digging through your contacts
    So for the z10 we are getting smart dial???

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 07:06 PM
    So for the z10 we are getting smart dial???

Posted via CB10
    If you mean this http://pocketnow.com/thought/smart-dialing-explained then yes. With BlackBerry, smart dialing is this http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2011/...-and-countries

But yeah, we will be able to type our contacts name from the dialer and call them the way we could on the legacy os
    04-15-13 09:10 PM
    If you mean this http://pocketnow.com/thought/smart-dialing-explained then yes. With BlackBerry, smart dialing is this http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2011/...-and-countries

But yeah, we will be able to type our contacts name from the dialer and call them the way we could on the legacy os
    Excellent! I wonder how they'll implement that on such a small screen though. This is one of the most useful features in any phone because it saves you a ton of time going through your contacts. I've been a long time android user and I am very impressed with bb10, the os is new but seems to be very well thought off even to the smallest details.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 09:42 PM
    Excellent! I wonder how they'll implement that on such a small screen though. This is one of the most useful features in any phone because it saves you a ton of time going through your contacts. I've been a long time android user and I am very impressed with bb10, the os is new but seems to be very well thought off even to the smallest details.

Posted via CB10
    Glad to hear that. Not sure what the screens size has to do with it though. All it does is let you type the contacts name into the dialer. It'll probably work nicer on the Q10 given that it has a physical keyboard
    04-15-13 10:22 PM
    We are talking about smart dial like how it's implemented on the old windows phone and new HTC and Samsung phones wherein you type the number and all available contacts that match will pop up. The z10 has a small screen plus icons at the bottom so they will have to make everything fit.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 10:45 PM
    A simple tap on the blue bar on top does the trick for me. Tapping the blue bar shows the contact phone number/s with the option to call or text. A long press will only show the contacts bar on the right and another tap will show the contacts number/s - same effect with the previous method but with more taps.

Since there is a slight difference in the way we do it, perhaps we don't have the same version of the OS. I have TMO's latest and only update. I wonder what's yours.

Adding a call button, just like in BBM, as another poster above is more intuitive, and would eliminate one tap. And not only here, but in emails.

So to sum it all, while in text mode, we suggest that there be a call button or email button, or whatever button than may be added there if the contact has those services.
    The same with me. I just tap it and the contacts card comes up with the number.

Posted via CB10 via Z10 via...
    04-15-13 10:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    In 9 months of using the Galaxy I never accidentally called someone b/c of the swiping feature. It was not as sensitive as you're suggesting, it worked really well.
    04-16-13 06:49 AM
    In 9 months of using the Galaxy I never accidentally called someone b/c of the swiping feature. It was not as sensitive as you're suggesting, it worked really well.
    Indeed, this is one of the features I'd love to see on BlackBerry 10. A number of my friends have Android phones and it has never caused them trouble, it's rather convenient in fact.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:57 AM
    Indeed, this is one of the features I'd love to see on BlackBerry 10. A number of my friends have Android phones and it has never caused them trouble, it's rather convenient in fact.

Posted via CB10
    The feature is not that sensitive at all. I usually have to repeat the action twice to get it done lol

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 09:55 AM
42 12