I was just checking my screws on my Z10 (was bored), I have the tools so I decided to make sure they were tight. I remember my bold 9000 had loose screws in 2008 and it would restart randomly anytime you gave it a jolt or put it on a desk. Six of my screws on the Z10 were loose slightly.

Just thought I'd mention this because it could contribute to random restarting. If the middle piece and back piece aren't tight the current can be interrupted and restart or shut down the phone. Another possibility is a loose connection inside the phone or even a lose battery that interrupts current flow once the device is placed down on a table or in a pocket, any type of shock would cause a restart.

Don't do this if you don't have the tools, it's easy to strip the screws and you might cause damage and void warranty.

Just a FYI incase someone else finds their screws loose. I think I used a t5 screw driver.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by zten; 04-13-13 at 07:36 PM.
    trsbbs, jj482, Mecca EL and 2 others like this.
    04-13-13 05:46 PM
    Wow now ppl saying Z10 has some screws loose.

I wonder if it has nuts and bolts loose as well.

Or

Maybe it's the consumers that have this issue.

Or

I guess we should send the Z10 for a psychiatric assessment and the consumers as well.

But in all respect yes this could be an issue as in computer building if a screw is loose on the motherboard or makes contact to the case it will not start up or if it does it can or will random reboot.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    04-13-13 05:56 PM
    What size are the screws?

What moves you, my Z10!
    04-13-13 06:09 PM
    Wow now ppl saying Z10 has some screws loose.

I wonder if it has nuts and bolts loose as well.

Or

Maybe it's the consumers that have this issue.

Or

I guess we should send the Z10 for a psychiatric assessment and the consumers as well.

But in all respect yes this could be an issue as in computer building if a screw is loose on the motherboard or makes contact to the case it will not start up or if it does it can or will random reboot.

Everything has loose screws, this can happen over time. Relax, I was just suggesting it as it is a quick fix with a screw driver.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 06:20 PM
    Someone with rebooting problems try this. This is an interesting theory.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 07:14 PM
    Thanks for suggesting this OP. Could be helpful to people experiencing problems.

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    adjdudley21 and Eric Shapiro like this.
    04-13-13 07:15 PM
    Yeah xamdam, I don't think zten was trying to troll.

But BlackBerry was! Now the set of T5/T6 I only ever used on my phones is good for nothing. ><
    04-13-13 07:20 PM
    I was just checking my screws on my Z10, I have the tools so I decided to make sure they were tight. I remember my bold 9000 had loose screws in 2008 and it would restart randomly anytime you gave it a jolt or put it on a desk. Six of my screws were loose slightly.

Just thought I'd mention this because it could contribute to random restarting. If the middle piece and back piece aren't tight the current can be interrupted and restart or shut down the phone.

Don't do thus if you don't have the tools, it's easy to strip the screws and you might cause damage and void warranty.

Just a FYI incase someone else finds their screws loose. I think I used a t5 screw driver.

Posted via CB10
    This is a very good idea.
    04-13-13 07:24 PM
    This is a very good idea.
    I just did it cause I hate loose screws and I'm a electrical engineer so I'm used to taking things apart. But like I said the loose screws can really mess with the device. Smartphones depend on the screws to keep pressure on different sections of the phone once it's assembled. A loose screw can cause wiggling on copper tape and other parts which can lead to weak current traveling through antenna stickers and lead to low signals and what not.

Posted via CB10
    ErinnM and Eric Shapiro like this.
    04-13-13 07:28 PM
    I just did it cause I hate loose screws and I'm a electrical engineer so I'm used to taking things apart. But like I said the loose screws can really mess with the device. Smartphones depend on the screws to keep pressure on different sections of the phone once it's assembled. A loose screw can cause wiggling on copper tape and other parts which can lead to weak current traveling through antenna stickers and lead to low signals and what not.

Posted via CB10
    I cannot begin to tell you how many laptops I've "Magically" fixed by tightening a few screws.
    04-13-13 07:30 PM
    I cannot begin to tell you how many laptops I've "Magically" fixed by tightening a few screws.
    I believe you , it can be easy money in my profession.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 07:31 PM
    An actual constructive thoughtful attempt at sussing out the problem. Bravo. Could also be dun dun DUUUUN, faulty batteries. Shhhhhh. But your suspicion sounds like a better one.
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    04-13-13 07:32 PM
    An actual constructive thoughtful attempt at sussing out the problem. Bravo.
    I know right?
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    04-13-13 07:35 PM
    While I'm more inclined to believe this is a software bug (memory exhaustion, etc), I checked it out. You can tighten every so slightly... I wouldn't go overboard as these things are usually tightened to certain specifications.

The bit I used on my STL-003 was T3 for the back screws. There's two screws that run on the side, I'm guessing those are T1s but I don't have that bit, T3 is actually my smallest bit so I lucked out
    04-13-13 08:19 PM
    While I'm more inclined to believe this is a software bug (memory exhaustion, etc), I checked it out. You can tighten every so slightly... I wouldn't go overboard as these things are usually tightened to certain specifications.

The bit I used on my STL-003 was T3 for the back screws. There's two screws that run on the side, I'm guessing those are T1s but I don't have that bit, T3 is actually my smallest bit so I lucked out
    Yea I didn't touch the two small ones either, there is also one covered in black circular tape I didn't touch that since it's the warranty seal.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 08:25 PM
    Huh, my wife's laptop loves to shut down randomly. Hrmmm ....
    04-13-13 08:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    This reminds me of the Storm 1 with the loosen up the screw trick to get a better click of the screen. And then the trick with a dime for the storm 2 or vice versa its been awhile.

I guess I'll have to pick up a set with different sizes. I only have a T5 and T6.

What moves you, my Z10!
    04-13-13 08:55 PM
    This reminds me of the Storm 1 with the loosen up the screw trick to get a better click of the screen. And then the trick with a dime for the storm 2 or vice versa its been awhile.

I guess I'll have to pick up a set with different sizes. I only have a T5 and T6.

What moves you, my Z10!
    Ugh the storm series.
    I have lots of those screw drivers they used to come free when you bought something on ebay.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 08:56 PM
    Huh, my wife's laptop loves to shut down randomly. Hrmmm ....
    That could be a bad compaciter or bad memory or overheating issue of the cpu paste not adequate or bad power supply.

Or

Lots of dust in machine causing over heating issue

Or

Can be numerous things from virus to a bad app or OS corruption.

Best to get it tested by a computer repair place that knows what they are doing, I use to do this kind of work yrs ago.

04-13-13 10:40 PM
    That could be a bad compaciter or bad memory or overheating issue of the cpu paste not adequate or bad power supply.

Or

Lots of dust in machine causing over heating issue

Or

Can be numerous things from virus to a bad app or OS corruption.

Best to get it tested by a computer repair place that knows what they are doing, I use to do this kind of work yrs ago.

Very good suggestions!

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 12:33 AM