So I just read yet another article stating my end of 2014, global marketshare was expected to be over 80% android and 0.8% BlackBerry. Pretty pathetic.

I'm not one to typically pay attention to these numbers, but of course marketshare is directly related with 3rd party support with apps, services, etc. I've weathered the storm not having access to Google services or some other apps (arguably not HUGE factors, but annoyances for sure).

I've supported BlackBerry for many years, bought the zed10 the week it came out in Canada in hopes it would reignite the company. I've defended BlackBerry every chance I get, but now the argument is just getting tired. Chen reinforces this by stating they're focusing on their core enterprise strengths, which leads me to believe as much as they'll come out with new devices and consumer-consumable features, their focus will be elsewhere. App support will still be lacking and may never recover.

Unless something seriously compelling comes out from BlackBerry later in 2014, with both hardware and services/app support, I really don't think it makes sense to buy another. OS preference aside, I'm sure one would get used to android OS just as fast AND get all the added benefits thereafter.

Anyway rant done. Just needed to get that off my chest.

Posted via CB10
    NG888 likes this.
    05-29-14 12:24 PM
    I feel exactly the same. I love my Q10 and have most of the apps I need, however the annoyance and embarrassment felt when I am unable to access certain apps does frustrate me. Ex. I was sitting around enjoying a glass of wine with a friend when he asks if I have seen the Vivino app. It takes a picture of your wine label and gives you the info on that bottle. I was unaware of the app so he showed it to me on his I phone and told me I should download it and try it. In the past I would have to grin and bear it and say my blackberry doesn't have access to that app but is a heck of a communication device. With Snap on board I have the confidence to say "yes I will download that right now and try it" (Chance to show off how Blackberry now has full access to apps). I download it, run it, and guess what!!! Won't function without google play services. So ultimately I am forced to show how Blackberry is still inferior, but is a heck of a communication device. I Love my phone, but are times where the app thing gets to me. I don't understand why Blackberry refuses to recognize this problem and come up with a fix. If they are willing to come up with android runtime, then surely they can come up with a way to get google play services so all apps will work.
    05-29-14 12:38 PM
    You should get the device that suits your needs.

BlackBerry suits me greatly. Even though I do have a few android apps to round out my needs, I don't require Google services (I'm avoiding Google itself at all costs), so that's not an issue for me.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 12:41 PM
    Have many of the same thoughts, however my preference of the BB10 UI, most especially the Hub & virtual keyboard, trump the advantages held by iOS or Android.

Snap & Amazon Appstore have relieved much of the app gap for me, but BB10 needs many refinements with how Android apps are handled before they have a real winner for Average Joe consumer.

I personally want to see a higher-end all-touch BB10 device with higher screen resolution and other spec improvements. That will keep me happy personally with the assumption that BB10 will continue to improve, which seems to be the case.
    Ecm, Septembersrain, NG888 and 1 others like this.
    05-29-14 12:46 PM
    I feel exactly the same. I love my Q10 and have most of the apps I need, however the annoyance and embarrassment felt when I am unable to access certain apps does frustrate me. Ex. I was sitting around enjoying a glass of wine with a friend when he asks if I have seen the Vivino app. It takes a picture of your wine label and gives you the info on that bottle. I was unaware of the app so he showed it to me on his I phone and told me I should download it and try it. In the past I would have to grin and bear it and say my blackberry doesn't have access to that app but is a heck of a communication device. With Snap on board I have the confidence to say "yes I will download that right now and try it" (Chance to show off how Blackberry now has full access to apps). I download it, run it, and guess what!!! Won't function without google play services. So ultimately I am forced to show how Blackberry is still inferior, but is a heck of a communication device. I Love my phone, but are times where the app thing gets to me. I don't understand why Blackberry refuses to recognize this problem and come up with a fix. If they are willing to come up with android runtime, then surely they can come up with a way to get google play services so all apps will work.
    OK not sure why it didn't work for you I just downloaded this app from the 1mobile market and it works fine on my Q10? I registered and it worked? Try it again. I found the 1mobile market a better option than snap. By the way cool app as I love enjoying wine and it scanned my wine bottle flawlessly.

Posted Via my ? Q10 ?
    05-29-14 12:49 PM
    Wine label scanning app? I would have never thought of that. I don't think that will ever show up on anyone's list of necessary apps but I can see the appeal of an app like that vs doing a Google search in a store, restaurant, or other relaxed social setting. And, it's not the kind of thing you want to go home and do a lot of research about how to install. Wine Label Instant Gratification - yeah, it's a first world problem.
    05-29-14 12:55 PM
    I've been using Vivino for a while, and even the last version works right for me, even with this Google Service popup.

Looking forward, any compelling reason to wait around for BlackBerry?-img_20140529_124830.png

Also, I understand your position with the current situation of BlackBerry but even if John Chen said he would focus on entreprise, he also said he wouldn't abandon the customer aide and still give it a go. We are still getting great updates and least, which show they are actively working on it. And for apps that aren't in BlackBerry World or natively in the OS, there is Snap, Amazon store, etc. Also, don't forget that with the 10.3 leak, we had an Android version update to 4.3. A lot of Android apps that weren't working are now. The Android runtime is there for the benefits of customers, while the efficient OS is there for prosumers.

And for those depending on Google Services, some will work, some others not. There is a work around to convert apks to remove their dependency to Google Services, which is easy to use and worked well for me for all apps I tried.

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-an...orking-862184/

Now, this isn't as easy as exploring Google Play (even not by far), but for the benefits of having all features of the BB10 OS, I think it's worth it. I could see myself keep the core BB10 with only Android apps, and it would keep the up side of each.

Though, I admit I'm not a huge user of app, but since Snap, Everytime my Android friend wanted to show me an app, I could also download it.

Now the choice is yours if you think it's worth it. I think personally that it will get better after this pause because John Chen seems to know what he's doing. But it could take several months, or years before its done.

Meanwhile, we still get stuff. Works for me. See if it works for you.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    05-29-14 01:01 PM
    I have no issues with the android Vivino app. Works perfectly.

Also, for me, my smartphone is 90% a communications (email, bbm) platform, and the balance is apps. BB10 fits me like a glove.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    05-29-14 01:04 PM
    Following the leads, I downloaded that Wine program. But once past the Google-play-whatever, I have trouble snapping a picture. And the Gallery is not finding a picture I took manually. I grabbed the free version.

As for app development, I have to admit that each time I read Chen emphasizing the Enterprise, I cringe a bit. But I guess I understand if BB is to survive they have to gain, at least, that niche market. But clearly NUMBERS are needed for more and major developers to support BB10. Tradeoffs!
    05-29-14 03:31 PM
    I use the BBerry Vivino app. Of course, it's no longer avail on Bberry World. But it was.

Also, the % of Android vs. Bberry? Well, if 90% of all phones out there use Android... are we there yet? If BBerry went over to Android then they'd suddenly be in the top niche!... right?
    Elite1 likes this.
    05-29-14 03:47 PM
    I use the BBerry Vivino app. Of course, it's no longer avail on Bberry World. But it was.
    Thank you!
    I could have sworn there was an app in BlackBerry World a long time ago, so good to hear I haven't gone crazy.
    05-29-14 05:17 PM
    You can forget about BlackBerry gaining the market share they once had... that's not their measure of success anymore. BlackBerry will still offer the best smartphones but their focus is building BES, QNX, BBM. Devices is not their measures of how they are going to succeed in the near future. And people keep forgetting that...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    BadGoliath42, Gatmyer and miker476 like this.
    05-29-14 05:23 PM
    So I just read yet another article stating my end of 2014, global marketshare was expected to be over 80% android and 0.8% BlackBerry. Pretty pathetic.

I'm not one to typically pay attention to these numbers, but of course marketshare is directly related with 3rd party support with apps, services, etc. I've weathered the storm not having access to Google services or some other apps (arguably not HUGE factors, but annoyances for sure).

I've supported BlackBerry for many years, bought the zed10 the week it came out in Canada in hopes it would reignite the company. I've defended BlackBerry every chance I get, but now the argument is just getting tired. Chen reinforces this by stating they're focusing on their core enterprise strengths, which leads me to believe as much as they'll come out with new devices and consumer-consumable features, their focus will be elsewhere. App support will still be lacking and may never recover.

Unless something seriously compelling comes out from BlackBerry later in 2014, with both hardware and services/app support, I really don't think it makes sense to buy another. OS preference aside, I'm sure one would get used to android OS just as fast AND get all the added benefits thereafter.

Anyway rant done. Just needed to get that off my chest.

Posted via CB10
    We have just met but I think you should call a doctor. Leaving BB would be a major mistake. Google services are not that fantastic. I use them on the desktop everyday but do not on the blackberry. I dont miss them at all. Gmail ppffffttt drive, yeah I can connect to drive and do use that rarely. google calender. Yes I use and have it intergrated with the Z10 calender. No problem there. I would maybe be better off just using outlook but have chosen google to keep that info separate. Could choose other solution. Anything else? So what? no tears here.
    05-29-14 05:29 PM
    app works fine on my z10 aside from the google play services window popping up works as it should, besides google is just too darn nosy
    05-29-14 05:32 PM
    One of my main compelling reason is BlackBerry Blend. Can't wait for that, I just hope it will be available to everyone.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    05-29-14 05:57 PM
    Vivino is available from imobile. No sideloading fast and easy way to get Apks onto q10 directly. Snap does not work or at least I couldn't get it working and gave up then found imobile and would not think of snap again.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 07:46 PM
    Won't Google services be fixed in the next runtime?

Visit GTR Lifestyle @ C001247FA
    05-30-14 03:36 AM
    May be should take a look on 10.3 first and then decide.
    05-30-14 03:50 AM
    I know the feeling that maybe BlackBerry will fold and all our investment will be lost. This is my second Z10 (first one got stolen) and I still believe I chose the right smartphone. It doesn't do everything I want, nothing does, but it does a helluva good job at whatever it can do.

It's a very solid OS that can stand up by itself. Hub is amazing and the keyboard has enslaved my hands. If anything, I'll stick to BlackBerry for the experience

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    Elite1 and FF22 like this.
    05-30-14 06:08 AM
    Vivino is available from imobile. No sideloading fast and easy way to get Apks onto q10 directly. Snap does not work or at least I couldn't get it working and gave up then found imobile and would not think of snap again.

Posted via CB10
    Just confirming, but I'm sure you meant 1Mobile right?
    Didn't want someone going crazy looking for "imobile" if it's really 1Mobile.

PS Please update your profile to show your current device. It says you still use a Curve 8330!
    05-30-14 01:02 PM
    Won't Google services be fixed in the next runtime?
    Still wishful thinking at this point AFAIK.
    Haven't read anything confirming it to be true.
    05-30-14 01:04 PM
    Sorry yes I meant 1mobile.com ! Will check re profile thx!

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 01:34 PM