Hey guys let's put a list of apps which suck the juice out of our batteries.

No.1 hmm I think WhatsApp.
    BlackBerry travel.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 09:23 AM
    You need to add that these apps are not a battery hog for everyone.

Posted from my Z10. via CB10
    03-28-13 09:25 AM
    I need to update my car charger. When I had Waze up and a radio app and was making calls it was not quite holding it's own.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 09:26 AM
    Okay guys :/
    Tell us which apps do you THINK are taking the juice out of YOUR OWN battery.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 09:30 AM
    WhatsApp works fine for me and I leave it on all day and get 50 odd messages a day with attachments. After average daily use yesterday I still had 37% battery left after 12 hours.

So no I don't think WhatsApp is a battery hog. You must be chatting insanely using the app - but in that case you could also say surfing a gazillion sites makes the browser a battery hog too.
    03-28-13 09:48 AM
    Ebay for sure is a battery killer.

No problems with WhatsApp for me.
    millwright40 likes this.
    03-28-13 10:32 AM
    Ebay for sure is a battery killer.

No problems with WhatsApp for me.
    I concur, DON'T download the ebay app until it's updated. 40% battery in 2-3 hours after installation, almost impossible to fully charge the phone while it's installed. Delete it and back to normal.
    03-28-13 10:50 AM
    Wallpaper Changer HD
    Ebay
    BlackBerry Travel (but only when it's set a certain way to scan)

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    03-28-13 10:54 AM
    I concur, DON'T download the ebay app until it's updated. 40% battery in 2-3 hours after installation, almost impossible to fully charge the phone while it's installed. Delete it and back to normal.
    At least they give you enough time to bid on a spare battery

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 11:18 AM
    I hope you're right about eBay. I downloaded it yesterday. I went to bed last night with 70% remaining and it was dead before I woke up this morning (late, I might add, because the alarm didn't go off since it was dead).

I just deleted it so hopefully I can get through the day - and night - with power now.
    03-28-13 11:27 AM
    Hey guys let's put a list of apps which suck the juice out of our batteries.

No.1 hmm I think WhatsApp.
    BlackBerry travel.

Posted via CB10
    I have both of these apps installed on my Z10 and neither of them is putting a significant drain on my battery. BBTravel has a setting adjustment that needs to be made in order for it to not drain the battery. I believe it is Settings > Automatic Trip Scanning > Off
    sirk25 likes this.
    03-28-13 11:38 AM
    I'm starting to think Docs to Go is a bit of a battery hog.

Posted via CB10
    noelito4three likes this.
    03-28-13 12:03 PM
    Note that with any of these apps that supposedly suck major battery, you should be able to use my Battery Guru app to almost immediate see and prove it. With BB Travel we can directly observe the effect of enabling/disabling Automatic Trip Scanning within a few minutes just by watching the power reading in Battery Guru.

If you can't see it directly in the power consumption, there's a good chance you're misinterpreting the cause. (I haven't tried any of the above-mentioned apps myself, however, aside from BB Travel.)
    03-28-13 12:25 PM
    Note that with any of these apps that supposedly suck major battery, you should be able to use my Battery Guru app to almost immediate see and prove it. With BB Travel we can directly observe the effect of enabling/disabling Automatic Trip Scanning within a few minutes just by watching the power reading in Battery Guru.

If you can't see it directly in the power consumption, there's a good chance you're misinterpreting the cause. (I haven't tried any of the above-mentioned apps myself, however, aside from BB Travel.)
    I will buy your app.

Posted from my Z10
    03-28-13 12:36 PM
    Ditto on the EBay app for me.
    I un installed the ebay app and my battery seems to be doing better today.

Proudly posted via Z10 on CB10
    03-28-13 12:42 PM

Question about your Battery Guru app.
    Have you thought about developing it into a simple interface for controlling instead of just monitoring battery usage?

Here is what I imagined:
    Predefined performance settings for your device. Perhaps something as simple as 1 day, 3 day and 7 day battery life(just an example).

You can set your device to last 1, 3, or 7 days through the battery guru app. That 1, 3, or 7 day settings controls general device settings and specific application settings like notification frequency, screen brightness, LTE usage.

If you plan to be near outlets or have a backup battery you would set it for 1 day. If you plan to be on a trip for the weekend, and would rather not have to juggle batteries you set it at 3 days. If you're stranded or see that your battery is low you might set it at 7 days.
    03-28-13 12:53 PM
    Question about your Battery Guru app.
    Have you thought about developing it into a simple interface for controlling instead of just monitoring battery usage?
    The idea is great (and obviously been done before in various ways) but the problem iis that this is simply impossible on BB10 At this time since no non-system apps can do any of that. There are no APIs for it, period. Sorry... (well, we can do notifications and I'll be adding something with that in the next release but actual control is not in the cards until some future OS update lets us do that)

Posted via CB10
    BB10fanatic and sirk25 like this.
    03-28-13 12:56 PM
    The idea is great (and obviously been done before in various ways) but the problem iis that this is simply impossible on BB10 At this time since no non-system apps can do any of that. There are no APIs for it, period. Sorry...

Posted via CB10
    Is this something that can be done or is done on android because those APIs are available? Is this inherently a benefit of their more open platform, or is it an arbitrary choice that BBRY is making with BB10, to not make those APIs available?
    03-28-13 01:02 PM
    Whatsapp is just fine now after the update will wait for a ebay update before reinstalling

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    03-28-13 01:02 PM
    Wallpaper Changer HD
    Ebay
    BlackBerry Travel (but only when it's set a certain way to scan)

is the wallpaper changer a hog just when active or even when it's closed. i have been having a battery issue and i got rid of bb travel and some of my ported apps...none which were mentioned but i have wallpaper changer installed.
    03-28-13 01:05 PM
    Is this something that can be done or is done on android because those APIs are available? Is this inherently a benefit of their more open platform, or is it an arbitrary choice that BBRY is making with BB10, to not make those APIs available?
    I'm not certain how much more, if anything, the Android apps can do. Probably very little. It's a deliberate choice by them to defer this stuff for now, until the platform and ecosystem are more mature. Mostly just a matter of priorities.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 01:09 PM
    is the wallpaper changer a hog just when active or even when it's closed. i have been having a battery issue and i got rid of bb travel and some of my ported apps...none which were mentioned but i have wallpaper changer installed.
    When it's running with the super bar. I only bought it for the super bar, so I'm annoyed.

03-28-13 01:24 PM
    Peter, is there anyway for Battery Guru to also track open/active applications/processes and log them with the power consumption data? That would help track which apps are more power hungry than others.
    03-28-13 01:42 PM
    I hope you're right about eBay. I downloaded it yesterday. I went to bed last night with 70% remaining and it was dead before I woke up this morning (late, I might add, because the alarm didn't go off since it was dead).
    I just deleted it so hopefully I can get through the day - and night - with power now.
    Just a friendly suggestion, but I'd recommend that you plug your phone into the usb wall charger adapter before you go to bed so you don't have to worry about that. As an added bonus, you'll be 100% juiced up and ready to go in the morning!
    03-28-13 01:48 PM
    From a full charge at 10:00am, I dropped to 68% in about 3 hours of mostly stand-by. Thanks to this thread, I deleted eBay and changed my BB Travel to stop automatic scanning. I've now dropped just 4% in the last couple of hours. That's about 10%/hr to 2%/hr.
    jesse_h, ESCON, peter9477 and 1 others like this.
    03-28-13 01:54 PM
52 123