64GB cards will work when formatted in the device.
    The evil genius speaks. You do realise you have single-handedly created a run on 64GB microSDXC cards, right?
    01-22-13 05:09 PM
    I have an 8GB microSD card in my 9860 but I have never had the need to fill it up so what in the world would you feel that you need to install on 64GB?
    I never understand why people need to post this kind of BS. I'm glad you only need 8GB, but what makes you think that because you only need 8GB that's what everbody else needs too.
    01-22-13 05:20 PM
    I didn't even think to format when I tried mine! Got an error and switched back to 32GB. Just formatted it. Switching over now.
    Thanks Kevin!

Todd
    01-22-13 05:37 PM
    Odds are they will follow the directory structure of the playbook instead rather than that of bb7.
    Nice. I know we are just over a week until the anouncement. But given that i have already ordered a case off ebay, i thought it would be a good idea to get my files all neat and tidy for my new device. Just a little way to pass the time. I want to be able to turn on and GO!....you know, since i have been waiting for this device the longest. :-) (see my previous thread)
    01-22-13 06:23 PM
    I have an 8GB microSD card in my 9860 but I have never had the need to fill it up so what in the world would you feel that you need to install on 64GB?
    Videos.

(I don't understand why you'd want that 8GB card though. Nobody will ever need more than 640K....)
    Thunderbuck, imz, jakie55 and 1 others like this.
    01-22-13 06:51 PM
    I make do with a 2GB microSD card in my 9810 at the moment, but I can certainly understand why people could need a lot more than that. I don't have any videos on my card, for instance, and those take up absolutely massive amounts of space.
    01-22-13 07:05 PM
    Videos.

(I don't understand why you'd want that 8GB card though. Nobody will ever need more than 640K....)

Exactly LOL. I'm old enough to appreciate that...

I do believe cloud computing will alleviate a lot of space concerns. I love having my media local, but have started streaming more. Don't carry movies around locally anymore. The end result is that I have barely been able to fill out the original 8GB card that came with my old device. I have barely made a dent in the current 16GB card, and I do have a lot of music onboard.
    01-22-13 07:13 PM
    Only half way. I think he was playing with words. Stating you could use a 64 GB card it technically correct. It just tells half the story.
    So are you saying when a 128GB card comes out it will accept that too?
    01-22-13 07:17 PM
    Based on Kevin's input I just ordered one from Amazon
    01-22-13 08:48 PM
    Exactly LOL. I'm old enough to appreciate that...

I do believe cloud computing will alleviate a lot of space concerns. I love having my media local, but have started streaming more. Don't carry movies around locally anymore. The end result is that I have barely been able to fill out the original 8GB card that came with my old device. I have barely made a dent in the current 16GB card, and I do have a lot of music onboard.

I have TV shows on the device for when I have to kill time and no wi-fi available. Instead of watching the same Big Bang episodes over and over I can now put several series and movies on the device.
    01-22-13 08:54 PM
    So are you saying when a 128GB card comes out it will accept that too?
    Yes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they already available?
    Wholesale 2012hot-128GB MICROSD CLASS 10 MICRO SD HC MICROSDHC TF FLASH MEMORY CARD REAL, Free shipping, $8.15-9.69/Piece | DHgate
    01-22-13 09:02 PM
    At the highest quality bit rate for MP3, a 32GB card will hold 3200 songs. At the standard bit rate it�s closer to 8k songs. Why anyone would need to carry around that many songs is beyond me. And don�t forget that the SD card is hot swappable on BB10 so�.

Some people LOVE media, music is everything to me and I like having all my stuff on one device, I've used my BB for all things portable media since I had my Javelin. I currently have 4000+ songs on my 9900 32GB also using the 6GB of internal to hold the rest, I'd LOVE to have 64GB to hold even more music and also whatever else I see fit for myself, so you can think of your own view, because I'm not the only one that does this, just because you won't, won't mean I wont. lmfao.
    01-22-13 09:35 PM
    Its a funny thing with space. It's less about what you NEED and more about having greater choice. At a pinch I have quite happily survived with a dinky 2gb MP3 player as my primary media carrier, but I wouldn't voluntarily give up the 20gb I can carry on my 9800 (4gb on board, 16gb card) because I can stretch out more and put on things that I may or may not want to listen to depending on my mood, instead of being restricted to making a single good playlist that is fine but less diverse. Also, I can carry a great amount of music and a great amount of speech.

If you ask me it was good of RIM to support microSDXC cards. They aren't vastly expensive now, and that price is going to drop sooner rather than later, so it seems like it would be a missed opportunity for them, a way to offer back-door competition to dedicated media devices but without increasing the cost of manufacture as well as meaning that there's no real need for them to offer versions with different storage devices. If the media player is good and I can spend �40 to expand the storage by 64gb, why would I need a 64gb model that costs �100 more? And why would I want to carry a 64gb iPod when I can carry that much (and more since I can swap cards) for �40. (prices pulled off amazon, I bet you can beat it if you shop around). SDXC cards are already ok priced for the capacity and will get better and bigger, and any device released today that doesn't support it is missing out.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-23-13 01:56 AM
    Videos.

I'm still amazed we need more than 5KB RAM (Commodore VIC-20).
    01-23-13 02:01 AM
    I'm still amazed we need more than 5KB RAM (Commodore VIC-20).
    Hehe restrictions breed creativity no?
    01-23-13 02:05 AM
    Either that listing is inaccurate or they have the wrong photo, because going by the picture that's just standard SD, not microSD.
    01-23-13 03:28 AM
    Either that listing is inaccurate or they have the wrong photo, because going by the picture that's just standard SD, not microSD.
    Not to mention the price is a little...eyebrow raising.
    01-23-13 03:55 AM
    ill be buying 32GB memory card then!
    01-23-13 04:05 AM
    Yeah, something is wrong there. Simply can't be as advertised. As far as I can tell, no-one actually makes 128gb microSD cards yet, and the few 128gb regular SD cards I've seen go for about 120 bucks each. Offering something that isn't yet on sale, from an unknown brand, at a price that is just way way way too good to be true... looks like a scam to me.

I clicked through the site and I am not encouraged. The site exclusively sell from China, which isn't a problem as such... but it looks like everything electronic is in some way dodgey. Stuff like Galaxy S3s for $180, but the pictures don't have Samsung logos on. I don't have a problem with buying from China (although I do it through eBay), and nor do I have problems with the look-alike devices that come out of China, they aren't bad at all if you want a cheap android device with ok specs, but advertising them as the original is just blatant fraud.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-23-13 05:12 AM
    I had another question about the micro SD cards. Mine is 64GB Ultra. Now, i know i have to use ultra in my DSLR camera due to speed (I think). microSDXC I assume will handle the "ultra" type, heh?
    01-23-13 08:36 AM
    I dont think they are available yet. But what information do you have where you feel this will accept the 128gb when it comes out? Please share with the flock
    01-23-13 08:47 AM
    I dont think they are available yet. But what information do you have where you feel this will accept the 128gb when it comes out? Please share with the flock

I've been told by a personally trusted source. I've got no reason not to believe him. The rest of you, however, need to decide for yourselves. Methinks you non-believers will remember this post when confirmed next week.(If I'm right, if not, please forget)
    01-23-13 09:10 AM
    Well I hope you are right. I have a 32gb card that will do for now. I would rather hold out for the 128gb card. If you are wrong I'm sure someone here will let you know
    01-23-13 09:21 AM
    The size of the card isn't the relevant part, it's the technology behind it. If a 64gb SDXC card works, then a 128gb SDXC card will too, and in a few years a 256gb or 512gb one will also be acceptable. They are all built on the same technology standard and so are intercompatible.

Where I think you are getting mixed up is that twoish years ago (might be longer) there was some uncertainty on lots of devices as to if they would accept 32gb cards. The reason that some devices did and some didn't was not because of the storage space on them, its because the 32gb cards were/are a slightly different technology than the earlier cards. Up to 16gb cards were SDSC (SD Standard Capacity) and 16gb was the upper limit for those cards. The 32gb cards were all SDHC (SD High Capacity) which had a 32gb limit. Some devices had SDHC support already, others needed a firmware update that enabled it, other just were never engineered to do that and so could only take SDSC cards. SDXC (SD eXtended capacity) is yet another technology, but its upper limit is 2TB. Any device that has support for SDXC technology will be able to use any SDXC card that ever is released.
    rottonj and SMocek like this.
    01-23-13 12:11 PM
    The size of the card isn't the relevant part, it's the technology behind it. If a 64gb SDXC card works, then a 128gb SDXC card will too, and in a few years a 256gb or 512gb one will also be acceptable. They are all built on the same technology standard and so are intercompatible.

Where I think you are getting mixed up is that twoish years ago (might be longer) there was some uncertainty on lots of devices as to if they would accept 32gb cards. The reason that some devices did and some didn't was not because of the storage space on them, its because the 32gb cards were/are a slightly different technology than the earlier cards. Up to 16gb cards were SDSC (SD Standard Capacity) and 16gb was the upper limit for those cards. The 32gb cards were all SDHC (SD High Capacity) which had a 32gb limit. Some devices had SDHC support already, others needed a firmware update that enabled it, other just were never engineered to do that and so could only take SDSC cards. SDXC (SD eXtended capacity) is yet another technology, but its upper limit is 2TB. Any device that has support for SDXC technology will be able to use any SDXC card that ever is released.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I will just wait in the weeds to see what people are buying and actually works as it should.
    01-23-13 12:44 PM
100 1234