04-29-13 07:35 PM
51 123
tools
    It is tough being a leftie using the Z10, but I have been using it right-handed and getting more comfortable with it.
    04-01-13 11:57 AM
    I only have issues when using the right side menu. Starting peek from mire to the left of the screen rather than the middle helped me a lot. Once u realised the menu stayed open on a tap it git much easier.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 12:03 PM
    I've had the Z10 for a week and I'm a lefty. Most of the gestures aren't very usable with left hand, so I'm using both. No biggie; I love the Z10.
    04-01-13 12:10 PM
    Another southpaw here but I use my right hand for many things including my Z10. In fact, holding the phone in my left hand almost feels akward. Too bad there is not a left handed version; I would love to try it.
    04-01-13 12:10 PM
    I am left handed and simply type by looking into a hand held mirror. When I look into the mirror, my brain compensates. It takes a bit of practice but works out quite well.

Today is April 1st right?

<wink>

Via my Z10
    04-01-13 12:13 PM
    No complaints here. I hold it with the right and tend to scroll etc with the left thumb... After having the phone for 2 months I am still discovering new ways to use it but so far no issues at all with being left handed.
    04-01-13 12:34 PM
    Us lefties have always, and will always, be screwed.
    04-01-13 12:59 PM
    Thanks for all the input everyone! I might just try using my right pocket for the phone to trick my body into using that hand enough to get used to it, since there seem to be plenty of people getting by that way.

As far as I know the Q10 does have hard keys for things like reply/forward and navigating the hub, so I will wait and see if there are any big issues caused by the smaller screen or proximity of the touchscreen to the top row of keys. Otherwise I will be getting myself a Z10 and enjoying the big browsing picture I've missed since my Storm died years ago.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790
    04-01-13 04:12 PM
    I'm another lefty who always holds my phone in my right hand. Odd that so many of us do that through force of habit.

I'm not having any problems using the Z10 at all. Love it!
    04-01-13 04:19 PM
    I'm a lefty with no issues or complaints using the Z10.
    04-01-13 04:22 PM
    For years, I've been able to use my phones with my left hand thanks to the trackball/trackpad, and aside from problems with port, microphone or radio placement, I've thought this approach worked really well. In fact, every phone since the switch from a trackwheel up till now was usable in either hand without a problem, from full QWERTY, SureType, and even SurePress models. It is pretty unlikely it was designed this way just for us southpaws, but it became just one more reason why BlackBerry was the right choice for me whenever I purchased a new phone.

Then along came BB10.

I've been playing with a Z10 for a few weeks now, and I've run into a problem. The intuitive "pull up and to the right" swipe when used in my right hand is amazing, it is a very natural movement and I definitely understand why something as simple as this gesture can be a selling feature. However,the issue is that it becomes a very awkward shoving/stretching movement when done with my left hand. As well, context menus in the hub are built with this same right handed "pull". This awful shoving motion when used in my left hand just doesn't feel, for lack of a better word, "BlackBerry".

It's pretty unlikely BlackBerry is going to redesign this part of their OS for such a small portion of their users, so for now I'm going to wait to see the Q10.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or run into any other left handed problems with the Z10/BB10?
    I was looking for a thread on this subject over the w/e, as was discussing the Z10 with an interested leftie...

Was wondering if there is a 'symmetrical reset' config button to make the Z10 easier for lefties

Am also wondering whether the Q10 will also be problematic for lefties
    04-01-13 04:37 PM
    Lefty here. Something that may help : when starting the swipe up you can do it from anywhere.

So you can start the swipe up to peek from the bottom left and that makes the gesture to the right much easier and fairly natural.

The only thing I find uncomfortable as a lefty is the top right preferred placement of action buttons like "Save"

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 04:39 PM
    A load a waffle tbh imo, I am right handed, have a Z10 put I use my phone on my left hand and type predominantly, and this is not awkward.

Every each to their own I guess, everyone has their preference.

Posted on CB10 via Z10
    04-01-13 04:59 PM
    I agree with most. I have become accustomed to holding the phone in my right hand in this right handed world. I also use my left hand to type. Still love my Z10

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 05:00 PM
    Out of curiosity, how many of you lefties use a mouse on the left side with the buttons reversed? Over the years I've seen a fair amount of people that move them to the left, but only a few who change the button orientation. I had one guy that insisted we couldn't use the term "right-click". It should be "reverse-click", according to him.
    04-02-13 08:17 PM
    Out of curiosity, how many of you lefties use a mouse on the left side with the buttons reversed? Over the years I've seen a fair amount of people that move them to the left, but only a few who change the button orientation. I had one guy that insisted we couldn't use the term "right-click". It should be "reverse-click", according to him.
    I use my mouse reversed this way...it's quite amusing to watch the reaction when someone else picks it up & try's to use it ;-)
    04-02-13 09:06 PM
    Well thank you very much for ruining my Z10 experience. I too am lefthanded but I've been happily using my Z10 with my right hand all this time! Now you've confused my hands' allegiances by bringing up your left-handed quandary!

Actually, most left-handed people are more adaptable to change and will use right-handed positions more readily. I have no problems using this phone with either my left or my right or both hands, but then I have somewhat large hands and I don't have to stretch too much when doing the peek maneuver with my left.

Posted via CB10 with my Z10
    04-02-13 09:26 PM
    Same here. I'm left handed and at first I had some reservation about the orientation of Peek and Flow but they work just fine for me holding the phone left handed. I usually type with two thumbs so I'm fine so far. I just tried to type one handed with my left hand and found that it's a lot more pleasant if you turn of text prediction. (* I found turning off text prediction makes my typing experience more natural as if I were typing on a physical keyboard *).
    Reversing the orientation of Peek and Flow doesn't really work because the orientation of the sentence is from left to right.
    I use the z10 left handed and have no problems. Occasionally reaching across to the right side menu with my thumb is a bit of a stretch but other than that, no issues. The peak swipe up and push right might feel awkward to someone used to using their right hand but I've always used my left. So to me it feels awkward if I try to use the 'normal' right hand way.

When going two handed for games or Web browsing, I like to use my right hand for maneuvering the touch screen so holding in left hand is natural there too.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10!
    04-02-13 09:36 PM
    I'm also left handed and uses mostly my right hand but will switch to my left hand if my right hand is unavailable for some reason. I don't have issue with the gestures.

I actually prefer using my left hand to scroll a Web page since my left thumb doesn't hide the scroll bar on the right like my right thumb does.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 09:37 PM
    Had not really noticed. Must over the time when I am using the phone I am not holding it.
    04-02-13 09:47 PM
    Hey, go to https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/...ct=index&item= and post a comment on the bb10 board, the project manager often replies to the boards and your suggestions may lead to improvements.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 09:48 PM
    Only thing I don't like being left handed is the damn charging port is on the left so if it's plugged in and I'm using it then it's in the way.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    Yup that's my only problem too .

Wagwan.
    04-02-13 09:51 PM
    I'm a lefty and if anything I'd say it seems like the Z10 was designed for leftys. It seems to be Better for leftys not worse. I mean just look at where the back button is (and there are many more examples of this)

I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with peek or anything else.
    04-02-13 10:01 PM
    I use my mouse on the right so I can write with the left. Also use the phone primarily with the left as I don't put it in my pocket and like to keep my right hand free for doors and handshakes. My girlfriend says I have perfected the Ari gold hand motions quite well too

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 10:05 PM
    yes, i thoughts of this issue once i learnt gesture. but luckily, i am a right hand holder.
    maybe you can try to use it with ur right hand? practice more?
    its time for your right thumb to do the work!
    04-07-13 08:37 AM
51 123