My own feeling is that your suggestion of 100 x the expected data transferred due to the buggy leaked Android app is very conservative. Even if all of the 1.1 million new cross platform BBM users from last weekend were using the buggy leak it would only be the equivalent data of an extra 110 million users which should be well within the capacity allowed for with going cross platform.

But think about if it were 1000 x the expected amount of data, or 10000 x or 1000000 x .... can you see how that would bring the BBM infrastructure to its knees?

The real issue here is that right now BlackBerry has a big leak problem. For a company that prides itself on technology for mobile devices designed to stop data leakage there is more than a sense of irony to it.

There's a view that BlackBerry have been silently condoning leaks of BB10 which has led to a risky culture of hardcore users, and to an extent BlackBerry too, considering them 'harmless' and something that can be tolerated for the sake of good hardcore community relations. Well that's just backfired spectacularly hasn't it? You can bet that once cross platform BBM eventually launches BlackBerry will have developed a way to block any version at any time from connecting to their servers so that the inevitable future leaks of buggy versions can't do this to them again. It would appear they can't do that right now, hence the delay.

Posted via CB10
    If the beta/leaked apk was putting 100000x or more pressure on the server, they aren't too smart. As we know from playbook & bb10 sideloading community and the android community in general, we spend a lot of time ripping and modifying apks. It was only be a matter of time until the bbm apk made it to the wild.. which it did, more than once before release day. Knowing this they didn't find a way to block it before starting the rollout, didn't expect demand to be so high that 1 million people would search out and download the apk (they expected humans could wait when there it's possible to Not wait?). Just look at the leaked bbm apk threads and this is a BlackBerry forum.

The leaked android app has since been blocked, and it didn't take long. Should have been possible long before release day and it should have been blocked before the rollout began, imo

I could care less what the story is, I'm just waiting for it to appear in the play store and iTunes so I can get my bbm list back to its previous vigor. Only reason I wasted my time writing what was on my mind was because I've been let down, yet again. I want bbm to actually make it out of the gate next time, not trip and fall again with another excuse. I want BlackBerry to do good, not fumble the biggest blackberry news in years.

I wonder what the stock price would have looked like if the release went smoothly.

I don't like voicing my opinion.. or talking about things that can't be proven with facts (like even that 100x number, I should have kept my mouth shut lol) so I'll just read and leave my comments out this thread
    09-24-13 07:34 PM
    I wonder how the heck Apple managed to handle all that load of users activating iOS 7 on the18th along with all those new devices on Sept 21st....

I guess it was smart for them to release iOS 7 two days ahead of iPhone 5S/5C to better handle the load on their activation servers. Any network admins care to enlighten?

Posted via walkie talkie
    According to some who tried to update early they didn't quite manage it. But that is just more hearsay.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 08:39 PM
    My silly theory is, since BlackBerry is already in cost reduction program and has no longer allocated budget for testing, they leaked the BBM (as they used to do with other OS)... and when they realized that it has problem (bugs), next thing to do is to stop it... without liability from their side since it is a leaked app... but let's face it... who has the capability to leaked that app?... and why in the world that BlackBerry doesn't even care where it came from or how this leak went to public? like the rest of other OS leaks...

Again, as I mentioned earlier, it is a silly theory...

Posted via Z10
    09-24-13 09:27 PM
    You guys really have no idea what you are talking about. Stop and think about this. Look at the bigger picture

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 09:50 PM
    I find it ludicrous that 1.1 million users downloaded bbm. There is only 46 reviews on the Google play store for bbm. There should be more if 1.1 mill was downloaded.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 12:33 AM
    No, the real cause was the need to reaffirm BlackBerry incompetence and ensure that there are less complaints and no competitive bids relating to the sale.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 01:49 AM
    I find it ludicrous that 1.1 million users downloaded bbm. There is only 46 reviews on the Google play store for bbm. There should be more if 1.1 mill was downloaded.

Posted via CB10
    It was never released on play store.
    09-25-13 04:28 AM
    I believe it and on top of it. The servers couldn't handle the volume.
    I check Play store every now and then to see if the unofficial BBM apps would flood Play store.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 04:57 AM
    It's flooded everyday. I think the leaked version will get a push update when the official release is out or shut it down all together and make everyone download the official version.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 05:02 AM
    Blackberry are liers.

Look all they have to is;
    Block the .44 version from the servers and then force upgrade it just like whatsapp does. If whatsapp can do it so can bbm.

Simple idea may not be as easy as it sounds but its doable...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    09-25-13 05:31 AM
    If the beta/leaked apk was putting 100000x or more pressure on the server, they aren't too smart.
    It was a version with bugs that was never intended to go live. ALL software beyond "Hello World" goes through versions that don't work as intended and aren't meant for release during development and testing, that's not dumb it's how software is developed. The bit that isn't smart is giving people inside BlackBerry the opportunity to leak the product and not mitigating against that possibility. I personally hope the source of the leak is one if the 40% who get the chop.

The leaked android app has since been blocked, and it didn't take long. Should have been possible long before release day and it should have been blocked before the rollout began, imo
    My hunch from reading around is that they couldn't block the leaked version specifically without also stopping release versions from working so what they've had to do is stop BBM for Android from working altogether until they can implement a way to block specific versions. There's a lack of a risk assessment there on BlackBerry's part but it also shows the down side of users treating leaks like some kind of divine right and using them without any thought as to the harm they can do by running unfinished software.

I could care less what the story is,
    I don't mean to offend but what you wrote there means you actually do care. What you should say instead is that you "couldn't care less".

Posted via CB10
    Roscopcoletrain and pcguy514 like this.
    09-25-13 05:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    If you're reading reviews for BBM in Google Play then you're looking at a fake app. It never went live in Google Play only the Apple App Store in certain parts of the world. So that 1.1 million new users is made up of some iPhone users and the buggy leak installing Android users who couldn't wait a day for the official release. Thanks guys!

Posted via CB10
    pcguy514 likes this.
    09-25-13 06:06 AM
    It's become a well known sport for people to get their kicks in while BB is down. In fact, people who have been away from BB for a while now, feel they need to chime in to post something negative when the opportunity presents itself. Sure, I'm amenable to the idea that people criticize because they care. But let's be perfectly honest shall we, that's not likely the case here. They do it for far less noble or constructive reasons...probably just to vent or perpetuate the wave of negativity that's taken over the BB platform. Look around CB, and you'll find many many threads that litter this site with pissy comments and BB sucks "consumer feedback". They post those because they care about BB? Maybe a small fraction...but highly unlikely.
    09-25-13 06:31 AM
    that's not dumb it's how software is developed. The bit that isn't smart is giving people inside BlackBerry the opportunity to leak the product and not mitigating against that possibility.
    I wasn't saying it wasn't smart to create the app. I was saying what you just said "The bit that isn't smart is giving people inside BlackBerry the opportunity to leak the product and not mitigating against that possibility. "
    But where you say "peopke inside BlackBerry the opportunity to leak it", I'm saying due to the nature of android apps, it was just a matter of time until the apk was going to leak

I don't mean to offend but what you wrote there means you actually do care. What you should say instead is that you "couldn't care less".
    None taken, I'm passing the blame to autocorrect lol
    09-25-13 09:39 AM
    It was a version with bugs that was never intended to go live. ALL software beyond "Hello World" goes through versions that don't work as intended and aren't meant for release during development and testing, that's not dumb it's how software is developed. The bit that isn't smart is giving people inside BlackBerry the opportunity to leak the product and not mitigating against that possibility. I personally hope the source of the leak is one if the 40% who get the chop.

My hunch from reading around is that they couldn't block the leaked version specifically without also stopping release versions from working so what they've had to do is stop BBM for Android from working altogether until they can implement a way to block specific versions. There's a lack of a risk assessment there on BlackBerry's part but it also shows the down side of users treating leaks like some kind of divine right and using them without any thought as to the harm they can do by running unfinished software.

Posted via CB10
    Kevin from Crackberry in a podcast hinted that the "leaked" version was in fact the final version that was to be released.
    09-25-13 10:34 AM
    I have two different (versions) leak. Were they both final build? No
    Got them both on twitter. Like the rest of the world .

They may not have the best track record but all info released by bbm is very plausible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    09-25-13 11:15 AM
    I'm guessing it's a blatant lie whipped up to cover up the fact that they're probably never going to release it after the sale of the company. I'm fine if they're not going to release it, not like we have no other chat apps out there, but to lie with such a stupid reason is a d*ck move.
    Daveensannie likes this.
    09-26-13 11:21 PM
    Could also be that blackberry wanted this to happen, they have done it with all things thorsten said : We will get all apps!!! We don't have them, thorsten said : we can use all the android apps, can you imagine, we can but not all and runtime is locked and will stay locked, thorsten said : YES PlayBook gets updated! PlayBook didn't get one, he also said BBM will go cross platform, still is not. It sucks!!!!
    For the first time in my life I bought a BlackBerry because I thought this could be something, being part of a OS that is going to something big was what I want, but now?........i don't want to be a part of it anymore, blackberry is big, big in giving false promises, if my kids lie then they are grounded...

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 12:42 AM
    A thing about adding more capacity... sometimes when you upgrade small pipes to really big ones, unnoticed problems that were choked off to go unnoticed suddenly get the ability to go hog wild. I saw it when people upgraded 11b networks to 11g networks years ago.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    09-27-13 03:22 AM
    Kevin from Crackberry in a podcast hinted that the "leaked" version was in fact the final version that was to be released.
    BlackBerry denied that in their statement, they said the leak was an earlier version with a known bug. Turned out that bug effectively performed a Denial of Service attack on their own network!

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 07:14 PM
    Check this link : http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=855769
    It explains the real reason why bbm never released.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 07:40 PM
    Is there a new forum for "armchair CIOs"? I didn't get the memo. IT folks don't pretend to know how (whatever your business is) works. Don't pretend to know how IT works because you know how to work a browser and run angry birds.

Posted via CB10
    pcguy514 likes this.
    10-03-13 08:15 PM
    Check this link : http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=855769
    It explains the real reason why bbm never released.

Posted via CB10
    No it explains one persons personal opinion why he thinks bbm never released

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 04:58 AM
73 123