We have Ips lcd on the z10 which I love it but is amoled screen better?
    I know amoled screen will occur pixel burnout cause my dad has a Samsung galaxy s3, the screen has a yellowish tint on it overtime which sucks!
    But amoled can save more battery and produce more saturated colour .
    What is your opinion?

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 02:02 AM
    Definitely AMOLED. Coming from the super AMOLED of the Motorola Droid RAZR i just gawp at the screen clarity of the Z10. There is absolutely no pixelation and the screen is tack sharp. But the contrast levels could be much better. Like when booting up the phone and the screen just glows with an ugly washed-out greyish hue all around the blackberry logo whereas it was just pitch black on the Motorola. Colors are somewhat subdued as well. Not hating on the screen but OLED screens are the way to go.
    Yeah but I also have heard that OLEDS generally portray a slightly warmer tone and burn in problems but they'll figure it out.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 02:25 AM
    I prefer IPS LCD screen against AMOLED screens as LCD are brighter, crisper, and absolutely comfy to eyes even in bright sunny outdoor. AMOLED screen are dull and too saturated in colors and looks washed out as well as suffer from burn in. So only I prefer Z10!!!!

Posted via CB10
    GS51 likes this.
    12-23-13 02:41 AM
    I knew someone who hates AmoLed screen and talks a lot of how inferior it is compared with his Z10's IPS LCD screen... when he upgrade to Z30, guess what?...

Yeah, your guess is right...

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 03:21 AM
    It is not easy to say!
    Both have it's pros and cons.

Biggest advantage having a LCD over an AMOLED is how it displays color. It is true that AMOLED has more contrast and more colors than LCD, but the whole internet, almost all cameras etc. are designed to record and show everything in RGB.
    That's what LCD is made for: RGB technology.
    That's the reason why LCD looks more accurate and more "real".

AMOLED has a bigger variation of colors and contrast which is better to see in direct sun light. But to shrink down all colors on AMOLED to RGB makes it things more look like "neon" or not so "natural".

So it depends what people like more.

One thing that clearly speaks for AMOLED is power consumption. Only pixels that are lightening up need power.

Posted via CB10
    Alvin Loh and FF22 like this.
    12-23-13 05:27 AM
    You sir are darn right ~

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 06:05 AM
    Nice to know about how the screens work! ... nice info there

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 06:54 AM
    It is not easy to say!
    Both have it's pros and cons.

Biggest advantage having a LCD over an AMOLED is how it displays color. It is true that AMOLED has more contrast and more colors than LCD, but the whole internet, almost all cameras etc. are designed to record and show everything in RGB.
    That's what LCD is made for: RGB technology.
    That's the reason why LCD looks more accurate and more "real".

AMOLED has a bigger variation of colors and contrast which is better to see in direct sun light. But to shrink down all colors on AMOLED to RGB makes it things more look like "neon" or not so "natural".

So it depends what people like more.

One thing that clearly speaks for AMOLED is power consumption. Only pixels that are lightening up need power.

Posted via CB10
    1 correction though, amoled screen are not viewable under direct sunlight, you will only see dark blue colour on the screen :P

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 11:40 AM
    One of the reasons that I sold my Q10 and kept the Z10 is the screen. I preferred the LCD screen vs the amoled. I am not planning in getting the Z30, so I can only compare the devices that I have had. Compared the Z10 to my husband's SG2 and the Z10 just looked brighter and more real. And I have my display set at half setting.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10
    12-23-13 04:00 PM
    So, if we had to guess or predict, will LDC be going the way of the dodo bird? Will the power-frugal win out in the end? Is one substantially cheaper than the other?
    12-23-13 05:53 PM
    So, if we had to guess or predict, will LDC be going the way of the dodo bird? Will the power-frugal win out in the end? Is one substantially cheaper than the other?
    Depends on how much people value battery life.
    12-23-13 06:01 PM
    I vastly prefer IPS LCD over Amoled, but color fidelity is a big deal to me. For many folks if it's more saturated its better -- even though it's "wrong."

But to each their own..... IPS, done right (as is the case in the Zed) is also very much visible outdoors. The Z-10 is one of the few devices I've been actually able to use when outside and see the screen.
    Alvin Loh likes this.
    12-23-13 10:39 PM
    But the black levels are not good on the Z10. It just glows in a washed out grey color. Everything else is top class.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 03:14 PM
    Black levels will never be as deep on a LCD due to leakage around the edge of the panel.
    12-24-13 04:04 PM