Dear Crackberry members,

I have searched google, and the entire forum for answers, and I couldn't find anything. I really need your help regarding setting up VPN on my Z10 because I am away overseas and couldnt access my netflix account.

I have 2 VPN accounts, one that is PPTP and the other is L2TP (or IPsec), I have been testing out everything the past 4 hours, including provider setup for iOS and android, as there is no helpful guide on how to do it on a BB 10 device.

The provider gave me the following details:
    1- A username
    2- A password
    3- A server address (us.l2tp.cyberghostvpn.com) on my Cyberghost vpn account
    4- A shared secret key

The protocols available for me are as follows:
    1- OpenVPN
    2- DDWRT flashed router
    3- L2TP
    4- PPTP/IPsec
    5- SSTP

This is all I have in hand. A loyal BB10 fellow that cant let go of his Z10 needs your help. Thank you all in advance for your inputs
    11-14-13 03:52 PM
    Simply put: as of now you can't. Current versions of bb10 only support obscure vpn protocols. Anything common like L2TP, PPTP or openvpn is incompatible.

There are strong indications the next major OS version (10.2.1) will support OpenVPN.

We'll have to wait until that comes out either officialy or through a leak.
    11-14-13 04:51 PM
    I am not sure if it would work, but could he not try sideloading OpenVPN using one of the unlocked runtimes?

I haven't tried it myself personally but I do have the converted, latest OpenVPN .bar file if someone is willing to give it a go? Not sure if it has been tested before and what the success of it was.
    webmeister likes this.
    11-14-13 07:26 PM
    Simply put: as of now you can't. Current versions of bb10 only support obscure vpn protocols. Anything common like L2TP, PPTP or openvpn is incompatible.

There are strong indications the next major OS version (10.2.1) will support OpenVPN.

We'll have to wait until that comes out either officialy or through a leak.
    I get your point that it would be nice for BB10 to support the many VPN solutions which will allow users to proxy their connections across international borders, but the protocols which are supported are hardly obscure! Don't forget that the implementation of the BB10 VPN client to Avaya, Cisco, Juniper and other VPN servers is to support the business/enterprise functionality of the platform.
    11-14-13 07:31 PM
    I tried converting Openvpn for Android with no luck.

If you do a search on Vpn and the PlayBook, someone figured out how to set a VPN on it. Needless to say if the PlayBook can do it, the z10 can.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 10:10 PM
    Hey gariac,

Glad to hear someone at least tried it out. Was it the latest APK of OpenVPN you tried converting? And were you using an unlocked runtime, if so, what version if I may ask? Thanks!
    11-14-13 11:43 PM
    so many people are misinformed. i personally have setup L2TP/IPSec for use on my z10 as of 10.0

heres my howto, though its probably not what your looking for
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...30-q10-862588/

heres a page to where I got my information on the howto
    Howard's blog: Create a VPN server for Blackberry Playbook (or Blackberry 10) using StrongSwan

heres though is what you most likely are looking for
    you want option 3 for your protocol

3- L2TP
    z10 config

Create a new VPN profile using the following connection details:
    Profile Name: anything
    Server Address: VPN server's public Internet address (us.l2tp.cyberghostvpn.com)
    Gateway Type: Generic IKEv2 VPN Server
    Authentication Type: EAP-MSCHAPv2
    Authentication ID Type: IPv4
    MSCHAPv2 EAP Identity: anything, this field does not matter
    MSCHAPv2 Username: user1 (username specified in ipsec.secrets) 1- A username
    MSCHAPv2 Password: password2 (user password specified in ipsec.secrets) 2- A password
    Gateway Auth Type: PSK
    Gateway Auth ID Type: IPv4
    Gateway Preshared Key: password1 (the PSK password specified in ipsec.secrets) 4- A shared secret key
    Perfect Forward Secrecy: not checked

there is one setting that would need to be changed if your using 10.1 or lower
    the configuration is almost identical, except that Authentication ID Type has to be set to "Email Address" rather than "IPv4", Email address in the VPN profile can be set to anything - this is due to a known bug in Blackberry 10 will refuse to attempt the VPN connection when Authentication ID Type is IPv4 by always returning an "Unknown Error".

its okay not to know something, but please dont misinform

edit: if you actually spent four hours trying to just configure your vpn you are dedicated. how about you just follow my howto instead it will take you maybe one hour and your vpn will be free. also you can launch the instance in any region you like. UK/USA for whatever purposes you want. I like UK for access to BBC content, for such things like the Sherlock series, then I use USA for access to netflix and hulu etc. Actually I can access BB world american content using the vpn so theres another reason you should follow my guide ;D
    Last edited by Guyzer; 11-14-13 at 11:58 PM.
    wikison and CharlieBrownBR like this.
    11-14-13 11:46 PM
    Thank you everyone for you help. I really appreciate this supportive community that we have and it really makes me happy to see how many are there to help.

Guyzer THANK you so much for your clarifications. Your guide is very thorough and very helpful and on top of all, straightforward. It is so much easier following up what you said, and I've managed to enter things the same way you have pointed out.

I run 10.2.0.1803 leak on my Z10. The only problem I am facing right this very moment is the timeout problem. I hope I can find a solution for that also.
    11-15-13 04:51 AM
    Hey gariac,

Glad to hear someone at least tried it out. Was it the latest APK of OpenVPN you tried converting? And were you using an unlocked runtime, if so, what version if I may ask? Thanks!
    I just used some onlike apk to bar converter. The converter I have on my PC crashes nowadays.

I don't know what unlocked runtime is, so I assure you I'm not using it. ;-)

I'm on TMobile, so I am still on the old rev of bb10.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 06:12 PM
    here is a temp account you can try on my amazon vpn

ip = 54.202.158.199
    username = user1
    password = password2

shared password = password1

let me know how it works. if your still having issues it is possible your isp is blocking outbound vpn connections. this is of course if you entered in all your settings correctly

timeout is due to the server not being setup correctly. though there might be special settings required for their specific setup it would be best to contact them regarding what they need to allow a connection

edit: it is possible your provider is running a microsoft vpn server, you would need to get these details from them. or you can alternatively play with the various combinations
    11-15-13 08:53 PM
    Here is one Vpn with instructions for the PlayBook. I presume it will work for bb10 phones.

Www.vpnreactor.com/playbook_vpn.html

I'm waiting to see if Openvpn gets supported, only because there will be more choices in providers. Fewer VPNs support ikev2.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 03:03 AM
    hey man why dont you just walk through my howto. ill literally walk you through the process. youll be surprised at how easy it is. plus its free and you know your backend is not being listened to. hey actually could you test out this vpn i put up for test. let me know how it works

Here is one Vpn with instructions for the PlayBook. I presume it will work for bb10 phones.

How to setup a VPN on a Blackberry Playbook | VPNReactor Tutorial

I'm waiting to see if Openvpn gets supported, only because there will be more choices in providers. Fewer VPNs support ikev2.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 07:18 AM
    hey man why dont you just walk through my howto. ill literally walk you through the process. youll be surprised at how easy it is. plus its free and you know your backend is not being listened to. hey actually could you test out this vpn i put up for test. let me know how it works
    Most people use VPNs to get around geographic restrictions. Setting up a VPN to your Amazon account doesn't accomplish that.

Further, I rather have Openvpn. I was just trying to be helpful by providing a commercial service that I believe will work with the z10 as it is now.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 09:47 AM
    Most people use VPNs to get around geographic restrictions. Setting up a VPN to your Amazon account doesn't accomplish that.

Further, I rather have Openvpn. I was just trying to be helpful by providing a commercial service that I believe will work with the z10 as it is now.

Posted via CB10
    Of course it gets around geographic restrictions. You can load it in any region you want.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 01:03 PM
    I just used some onlike apk to bar converter. The converter I have on my PC crashes nowadays.

I don't know what unlocked runtime is, so I assure you I'm not using it. ;-)

I'm on TMobile, so I am still on the old rev of bb10.

Posted via CB10
    Hey, thanks for the reply! I am still holding out hope then that an unlocked runtime on 10.2 may be able to run a converted apk file of OpenVPN. When I get some spare time I'll report back here with my findings once I've tried it.
    11-16-13 01:37 PM
    Of course it gets around geographic restrictions. You can load it in any region you want.

Posted via CB10
    The idea is to look like you are not in the US in my case. I can neither confirm nor deny I use proxies to watch BBC content that is not allowed to be viewed in the US. So if I load your Vpn, I will just appear to be in the US.

I have hosting on AWS. I suppose I could set this up myself but it seems kind of pointless.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 02:26 PM
    The idea is to look like you are not in the US in my case. I can neither confirm nor deny I use proxies to watch BBC content that is not allowed to be viewed in the US. So if I load your Vpn, I will just appear to be in the US.

I have hosting on AWS. I suppose I could set this up myself but it seems kind of pointless.

Posted via CB10
    it is not pointless at all. you can select ireland as your region and have access to all bbc content. it just depends on if you like paying extra for a service you already have access to. you already have aws so why pay extra for proxies that you can easily setup yourself. btw if your interested in having a simple PPTP vpn (non-compatible with z10) you can use on your win 8 machine for netflix access or whatever you please you can see this website.

Setting up a VPN-server on Amazon EC2 | No pain no gain

i personally have PPTP setup for netflix via win8, and L2TP for z10

EDIT: spelling
    Nasser Alomran likes this.
    11-16-13 02:45 PM
    it is not pointless at all. you can select ireland as your region and have access to all bbc content. it just depends on if you like paying extra for a service you already have access to. you already have aws so why pay extra for proxies that you can easily setup yourself. btw if your interested in having a simple PPTP vpn (non-compatible with z10) you can use on your win 8 machine for netflix access or whatever you please you can see this website.

Setting up a VPN-server on Amazon EC2 | No pain no gain

i personally have PPTP setup for netflix via win8, and L2TP for z10

EDIT: spelling
    You do know pptp is not secure. It is so bad that there are commercial services to hack it.

I try to decentralize everything. I rather have an independent VPN service. The way I see it, it takes the feds more paperwork to hack me. I presume Amazon has the keys to the sever, so I only trust them so far.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 06:11 PM
    Well...good news is, I was successfully able to sideload the latest OpenVPN .bar file on my Z10 after sideloading the .595 unlocked runtime. Bad news is, for my VPN, I downloaded the OpenVPN configuration files but was unable to locate them inside the program to import them.

Long story short, after downloading the OpenVPN config files onto my Z10 in multiple places (root of the SD card, usual downloads folder, etc.), I was unable to navigate through the folder structure to find what I was looking for. Some folders I had tried selecting just did not want to load, while others loaded up very quickly for me to see the contents. Some folders would not read however.

I am thinking if someone is a bit more savvy with navigating through the Android folder structure (and knows a good spot to download these config files), this could be a successful method to get OpenVPN to work?
    11-17-13 01:37 PM
    Well...good news is, I was successfully able to sideload the latest OpenVPN .bar file on my Z10 after sideloading the .595 unlocked runtime. Bad news is, for my VPN, I downloaded the OpenVPN configuration files but was unable to locate them inside the program to import them.

Long story short, after downloading the OpenVPN config files onto my Z10 in multiple places (root of the SD card, usual downloads folder, etc.), I was unable to navigate through the folder structure to find what I was looking for. Some folders I had tried selecting just did not want to load, while others loaded up very quickly for me to see the contents. Some folders would not read however.

I am thinking if someone is a bit more savvy with navigating through the Android folder structure (and knows a good spot to download these config files), this could be a successful method to get OpenVPN to work?
    Maybe you can poke around the z10 with that bgshellplus app. It is the most capable behind the scenes tool I have on my phone. Most QNX commands are like linux. It takes ifconfig. I have use bgshellplus for sftp, so it can snatch files.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 03:48 PM
    Hi everyone. Guyzer I have entered the correct settings and after talking to my network provider they said there is no blocking to VPNs at all. So now I am talking to the VPN providers and trying to technically solve this from both ends. I hope it ends up well. I paid for 2 years on their IPsec package :/

Edit: I have sent a PM to you with the VPN info. Want to give it a try and see if it succeeds on your end bro?
    Last edited by Nasser Alomran; 11-17-13 at 05:31 PM. Reason: send PM with info
    11-17-13 05:11 PM
    What about the account I posted for you to try ?

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 07:03 PM
    Giving it a try as we speak. I have a feeling that my timeout issue is something from the VPN provider side, but they denied a refund to my recent 2 year subscription. I should have checked before I purchased it, they denied my refund too

Guyzer it works fine, have you checked out what I've PMed to you? any chance you got lucky with getting it to work?
    11-20-13 08:05 AM
    yes sorry for the late reply. the vpn you sent me does work, but only from a windows machine. im sure there are some settings we can make to allow it to work with the z10. in windows to setup the vpn, all you need are the

IP
    username
    password

there appears no use for the group password. it allowed me to connect and i was assigned an american ip address in virginia. to setup with windows click start, type vpn, (win8.1 you need to spell virtual private network). fill in details and you should be good to go.

Giving it a try as we speak. I have a feeling that my timeout issue is something from the VPN provider side, but they denied a refund to my recent 2 year subscription. I should have checked before I purchased it, they denied my refund too

Guyzer it works fine, have you checked out what I've PMed to you? any chance you got lucky with getting it to work?
    11-20-13 10:42 AM