I've had my Z10 for close to two months and haven't encountered any of those issues. SMS is notoriously unreliable so to cite it as an issue for the Z10 is unfair.

The only issue I've had so far is with the BlackBerry holster. I was glad to see a much more reasonable price for it compared to the price for my 9900 and 9790 holsters but it feels like it's made out of cardboard and not leather and the flap closes over the headphone port making listening to music on the move pretty much impossible.
    04-15-13 04:16 PM
    I like the way Bla1ze put, cause my contacts are a "train wreck" also! But other than that I love this phone! I just snuck the 10.0.10.822 OS on my Verizon Z10 device and battery life is 10 times better. (I'm exaggerating a little, ok ALOT, but it's much better) And I never had the random reboots issue thank GOD!
    Bla1ze and I were discussing contacts lately, and decided that the way they are handled on any device is pretty abysmal. Thank goodness I never really cared about how they are, hahahah.
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-15-13 06:21 PM
    Hey Guys,

Sorry for the slow response. My fianc�e flew into NYC Wednesday evening so I took the last few days "off"... have barely seen her since November with all the craziness of the last few months. Totally tried to disconnect. Think I have a few other outstanding forum threads I need to jump in on too, so will get to those soon.

SO... as for problems with my Z10, I've been trouble free compared to some of the issues others have been reporting.

What I'm using:
    - Bought a Rogers BlackBerry Z10 in Toronto back in February the day it came out. Used that on Rogers in Canada for ~ six weeks, until I came to NYC. When I was in Toronto with the phone (using LTE), I found the battery life to be less than stellar (prior to first OS update). After the OS update it was probably 35% better on LTE. When I got back to Winnipeg, where I didn't have LTE, then the battery life was amazing. Just on HSPA+ after the OS update, could go 24 hours on a battery with decent use.

- In coming to New York, the first few days I was roaming on AT&T off my Rogers SIM card. Now I have an AT&T SIM card in my Z10.

I have NEVER EVER had the phone reboot on me. Not even once.

Re: Battery life. Battery life in NYC on AT&T is definitely not as a good as I experienced in Canada. This is NOT a surprise to me, as this is something I have experienced literally with every single phone I have used in NYC over the past six years (BB, iOS, Android). When you're in NYC (as opposed to a Canadian city), your have way more cell towers in a small area that your phone is fighting to decide which to use, so you waste way more battery juice with your phone constantly flipping between towers as you go around the city. Also, way more big buildings.... radio cranks itself up to maintain connectivity. For the most part I'm still getting through the day on a charge on my Z10 here, especially if I spend a decent amount of the day in the office (where I'm on WiFi). If I'm off WiFi all day and going around the city, then I need my spare battery.

Over the years we've found the carrier your BB is on can make a huge difference. One of the tests I suggest for people is just to spend some time on the phone with the carrier disconnected (just use the phone on WiFi only), and you'll probably find any weird stuff (reboots) will go away. Also, carrier-specific problems will likely get fixed with net OS update. In the pre-release phase, there is only so much testing companies can do. Once the phone is out in the real world, then BB has a lot more data to work with to fix any issues.

So overall, I've had no real issues with my Z10. But since it seems to be VZW I'm observing the most complaints about, I'm going to switch to a Verizon Z10 this week and see if/how that changes on my end. I've been using it on AT&T for a few weeks now so have a good track record with it. Will be easy for me to determine how it compares for me in the same sort of setting.
    Kevin you're the man!! I also envy your commitment to brighten up the BB10 experience in the US even though i know.. you have some sacrifices with your fiancee. well, you need to go back home and spend a high quality time with her. to Kev's fiancee, i can tell you your hubbie-to-be is the man. his commitment is awesome and so is his commitments to you i believe. good luck!

right, back to the topic. my cousins back home (indonesia) bought the STL-3 Z10 (i think it's from canada) and they've been using since feb and i've never had any major issues from them. there was a time where one of my cuz complained about the laggy BBM group but i asked him to update and since then, it's doing good. as for the battery life, well as indonesian carriers haven't got the LTE so HSPA+ is the fastest and the battery life has been on par with other phones they use (they have android too).

my dad and some of my friends on the other hand rock the STL-1 Z10. all of them are running on the 10.0.10.82 OS and they have no issues as well. the battery life is also alright and their phones are always on 24/7 since the moment they bought the phones.

as for myself, i'm using the STL-2 Z10 here in Australia, bought it outright and i use Telstra. used to be running the 10.90 OS before getting the .822 OS (thanks CB forums!). few things i notice after the update:
    + BB world app update notifications are now more active
    + FB chats flow better
    + after settling the OS for 48 hours the battery life improvement starts to kick in. on 10.90 OS i could manage up to 15-16 good hours of decent usage a day, with the .822 OS, yesterday i managed to do up to 19 hours, impressive!
    + contacts app launches quicker
    + dialer app launches quicker
    + BB Hub is snappier
    + wifi & radio (particularly LTE) seem to pick up better
    + speakerphone is now more sensitive, lesser break-ups
    + phone earpiece seems to be louder now, good for me :P
    + the camera now picks up better particularly for indoor captures and low lights
    - still got some bugs on the contacts app. if i open the app i sometimes see a blank screen, dunno why but when i tap the search button and start the search of my contacts, they are there
    - whatsapp contacts need to be refreshed as sometimes my whatsapp favs get jumbled up, didn't experience that on the 10.90 OS before
    - yeah sometimes my phone gets warm for no reason but i think that's something to do with yahoo's email sync. dunno why my yahoo mails sometimes play around
    Jacko_au likes this.
    04-15-13 06:36 PM
    Kevin I'd be curious to know if you are having any of the issues that many of us are having with our Z10's. Are you seeing:

1. Reboot issues
    2. Bad battery life
    3. Text message lag
    4. Duplicate contacts
    5. Phone running hot
    6. Any other issues not mentioned above

I've had a mixture of the above for the past week since I got my Z10 and I'd be curious if you or any of the other mods of Crackberry are seeing these issues. If so, any thoughts on them?

Please know that this is merely for fact finding and to know if our founding father is experiencing any of these issues and communicating them to Blackberry.
    Until the z10 came out in the USA, there was no mention of reboots anywhere. Here in Canada, none of us I think have had this issue. This must be carrier related.

You need to wait for your carrier update. Once we got our update here in Canada from our carriers, our battery issues got way better. I no longer have battery issues.

Again, never heard if this until now. Must be carrier related again. I don't think has anything to do with the phone or we in Canada would of reported the same problem.

As for the double contacts and unlinking I had that problem as well and a few contacts that were on my sim card were lost altogether. I had both yahoo and Gmail accounts and the synching of both were driving me nuts. I Called Rogers and he told me just put all your contacts into 1 account, Gmail or yahoo and then sync them. He said delete the sim card altogether and the local contacts. I wasn't doing this. I inputed everything into Gmail contacts and deleted the sync for my yahoo and since then I've had no issues with that problem again. When you enter a contact unto your phone enter it into the Gmail or yahoo cardDav whichever you use and not in the all contacts section. You shouldn't have any problems after that. I feel your pain here, I nearly had a stroke not being able to have my contacts straight and in order. Now everything is ok.

My phone only runs a little hot if I'm using it a lot for and extended period of time or I am watching a movie or YouTube videos. But this is a given for any smartphone, it will run a little hot when you are using it a lot. Does it run hot when your not using it or when your using it? You didn't elaborate here.

Love this phone. I have no issues after the nice update from Rogers. You need to wait for that update and it will correct a lot of issues including battery life.

Good luck and enjoy the z10 awesomeness!!

Posted via CB10 from my Awesome Z10
    04-15-13 06:37 PM
    I'm using my LE Z10 on T-Mo. I've experienced a few random re-boots. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with low Free Memory.
    Often times I only have one active frame open and I check the Free Memory and it is 950MB or less. There is also an unanswered post on the BlackBerry support forms on this.

Reboot/Restarts / Memory Leaks - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    mine is always sitting at 800-825MB on reserve. it used to dive once to the deepest one, 595 MB (that's because i've just restored all my data after OS reload & did the linking of all my contacts, arggh such a pain, BBRY you need to fix this contact linking issue!!) but after i decided to reboot it (i decided it..) then it sits back at 800-825 on reserve.

BUT i agree with you, BB10 SHOULD have a memory FREE up option so it can kill some unwanted processes (e.g. android apps) and regain the memory.
    04-15-13 06:40 PM
    Last night I had ONE reboot on Rogers in the 25 days of owning my Z10. I know it is related to memory as I was doing a lot with my phone prior to the reboot. Since then nada reboots.

Then again it could have been something that Rogers did to my phone..or not.

The post at BlackBerry about memory leaks is not surprising to me, I get them on all of my devices and I expected to get one on my Z10 eventually. Ever get a BSOD on a PC? It happens from time to time.

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-15-13 07:04 PM
    I'm on Telus and have had my Z since around Feb 10th. I had one reboot about a week in and another one about a week later and none since.

Everybody saying this is U.S. Carrier related are wrong.

I have also had my phone two times be stuck on a black screen while it was plugged in and had to do a hard reset. The first time I pulled the battery and the second time I held the lock button for about 30 seconds to force a reboot.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 07:21 PM
    I'm having issues with wifi again. After some time browsing, the wifi drops out. It will not reconnect to the default wifi signal and sometimes automatically switches the wifi settings for my default signal to 'disable'. It's extremely frustrating. This is the second handset I've has. First one was exchanged for wifi issues and hanging operating system. Provider confirmed it was software but did not elaborate.

Can anyone shed some light on my wifi issues? Anyone having similar issues?

its such a shame because everything else on the phone is addictive. It works so well..... when it works. I hope they fix all this up soon before I make the switch.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 07:45 PM
    It's probably safe to assume if no one else is experiencing these issues then it's likely not the Z10's fault. I do experience this problem specifically with Starbucks hotspots here in Toronto. I've chalked it up to either hardware incompatibility or wifi configuration, deployment.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 09:10 PM
    I've had my Z10 for close to two months and haven't encountered any of those issues. SMS is notoriously unreliable so to cite it as an issue for the Z10 is unfair.

The only issue I've had so far is with the BlackBerry holster. I was glad to see a much more reasonable price for it compared to the price for my 9900 and 9790 holsters but it feels like it's made out of cardboard and not leather and the flap closes over the headphone port making listening to music on the move pretty much impossible.
    LOL Jonesy, your putting the Z10 in your holster backwards!
    04-15-13 09:32 PM
    Kevin I'd be curious to know if you are having any of the issues that many of us are having with our Z10's. Are you seeing:

1. Reboot issues
    2. Bad battery life
    3. Text message lag
    4. Duplicate contacts
    5. Phone running hot
    6. Any other issues not mentioned above

I've had a mixture of the above for the past week since I got my Z10 and I'd be curious if you or any of the other mods of Crackberry are seeing these issues. If so, any thoughts on them?

Please know that this is merely for fact finding and to know if our founding father is experiencing any of these issues and communicating them to Blackberry.
    I am not Kevin and I don't speak for him. He has never er heard of me. I am AT&T interest US.

I have had only a few problems. It rebooted once before the firmware update came down. I do have some duplicate contacts however that I presume is because the synchronization function is only one way at this time. The messages when one synchronized are very clear about this. I am not on a corporate network but synchronize with Outlook 2010 on W7 64. This is a temporary situation per the message.

The only serious problem I had was problems with SMTP for mail not working. This was fixed with the firmware update.
    04-15-13 09:36 PM
    It's probably safe to assume if no one else is experiencing these issues then it's likely not the Z10's fault. I do experience this problem specifically with Starbucks hotspots here in Toronto. I've chalked it up to either hardware incompatibility or wifi configuration, deployment.

Posted via CB10
    Does Starbucks WiFi have a host spot login? When I go into Tim Hortons, it sometimes takes a minute or so before I see the browser launched with their hot spot login screen.

So far (3 times a day) for the last 25 days, I've only had to reboot once because I was in "No Connection Land" even when my indicators said I had Both connections at Timmys.

04-15-13 09:39 PM
    Bla1ze and I were discussing contacts lately, and decided that the way they are handled on any device is pretty abysmal. Thank goodness I never really cared about how they are, hahahah.
    True to some degree. Even on my older BlackBerrys there are ways to get it all screwed up.
    04-15-13 09:46 PM
    True to some degree. Even on my older BlackBerrys there are ways to get it all screwed up.
    Yup, mine were always a disaster there as well. I just stopped caring, as long as the contacts I needed were there -- you know, 5-6 times lol. At this point, I'm not even sure who to blame really cause they're messed up across all platforms really. Starting to think it's more a GMail issue than anything else, although I know there is known issues with BB10 duplicating contacts as well. They're just amplified due to the other stuff.
    04-15-13 09:50 PM
    Crackberry users, please add your carrier and your os version when mentioning issues. Almost all of the bugs in OS10 are release dependent, VZW is really screwing us or BBRY screwed up delivering software releases...someone knows...Kevin i am glad to hear you are going to switch to a Verizon account to replicate the pain some of us have had in the States. Perhaps your voice will be loud enough to help influence some change.

It's still early but getting key OS7 slickness and JB4.2.X emulator should be the next steps for BBRY after ironing out some of the truly bad bugs that will hopefully be cleared in 10.1
    semperfi45 and John Pawling like this.
    04-15-13 11:37 PM
    Does Starbucks WiFi have a host spot login? When I go into Tim Hortons, it sometimes takes a minute or so before I see the browser launched with their hot spot login screen.

So far (3 times a day) for the last 25 days, I've only had to reboot once because I was in "No Connection Land" even when my indicators said I had Both connections at Timmys.

You shouldn't have to wait for your browser to launch. You'll either get a notification in the hub that your in a hotspot zone, if you've saved the hotspot settings, you can log on to the hotspot from there or you can go to your wifi settings and log on to the hotspot from there as well. In my case at times when I'm at Starbucks, I go to my wifi settings and my Starbucks setting is disabled.
    Also instead of rebooting, just turn your wifi off then back on. That'll get you connected to your wifi quickly rather than rebooting.
    Last edited by giggabotch; 04-16-13 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Further advice.
    04-16-13 12:27 AM
    No problem at all with my new z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 12:33 AM
    Crackberry users, please add your carrier and your os version when mentioning issues. Almost all of the bugs in OS10 are release dependent, VZW is really screwing us or BBRY screwed up delivering software releases...someone knows...Kevin i am glad to hear you are going to switch to a Verizon account to replicate the pain some of us have had in the States. Perhaps your voice will be loud enough to help influence some change.

It's still early but getting key OS7 slickness and JB4.2.X emulator should be the next steps for BBRY after ironing out some of the truly bad bugs that will hopefully be cleared in 10.1
    I have software rel 10.0.10.90 with os version 10.0.10.69, STL100-2. Provider is optus in australia.

The wifi was running fine for a week. I had purposely delayed inserting my sd card and installing more as to check if the wifi issue was still a problem with the new handset. Almost lasted a week, but alas its dropping out again. Turning on and off wifi doesn't work and after some time rebooting also doesn't work. I will try a wipe and restore tonight. Need these bugs sorted out and fast!

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 01:09 AM
    [QUOTE=zten;8317350]

I think I joined two weeks ago? Nope last week I got my z10... wow its been a week!

Posted via CB10
    Over 200 posts in a couple of weeks? You sir are a true CrackBerry addict!
    04-16-13 02:29 AM
    I've had 4 re-boots since the new AT&T software update late last week. In fact, I'm sitting at my desk working right now. The Z10 is in front of me. No apps running, not being touched. Screen is off.... suddenly screen shows "Blackberry". It's re-booting. I wasn't even using it and it wasn't running any apps. Just sittin' there.

Not cool, AT&T... not cool at all.
    04-16-13 05:11 AM
    You shouldn't have to wait for your browser to launch. You'll either get a notification in the hub that your in a hotspot zone, if you've saved the hotspot settings, you can log on to the hotspot from there or you can go to your wifi settings and log on to the hotspot from there as well. In my case at times when I'm at Starbucks, I go to my wifi settings and my Starbucks setting is disabled.
    Also instead of rebooting, just turn your wifi off then back on. That'll get you connected to your wifi quickly rather than rebooting.
    turning off my WiFi didn't work nor did going into airplane mode. Had to do a restart. It was a weird problem that hasn't shown up again. Like the the memory leak post at BlackBerry forum, it most likely was a memory shortage, which is only resolved by a 3 minute restart. No big deal.

04-16-13 06:34 AM
    Why ask Kevin? As usually, BBR will pay for Kevin to talk good things about Z10.
    04-16-13 06:45 AM
    Why ask Kevin? As usually, BBR will pay for Kevin to talk good things about Z10.
    No he's always upfront about flaws and problems with their devices. He may sugarcoat them a little but he's still honest about them.

With that said, these reboots are killing me. If it continues through the rest of the week it's going back and I'll go back to my 9900 until they figure out the litany of bugs in this phone.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-16-13 06:58 AM
    I am in the UK on Vodafone. Other than devs and special people I was probably one of the first ordinary consumers to get my hands on a Z10, on February 4th.

I was annoyed to find that I could not transfer my Contacts using USB, but the Cloud resolved that one. I have an issue whereby the Z10 forgets my most-used POP3 email account login; I'm told this is due to competing calls on the server, but it never happened with my Storm. I had the Twitter app outage like everyone else, but since the browser Twitter works fine that was no big deal.

Apart from that, I have had zero problems. Zilch. Nothing. Zero. To me, that suggests that the phone is fundamentally sound and that any problems suffered by US users are down to the different build/networks etc in the USA. No doubt BBRY will soon resolve these problems.

As far as I am concerned, I am a very happy UK user and I absolutely love my Z10. My old Storms are long forgotten and consigned to a dusty drawer. Goodness, was it really just over two months ago that I was still using them? It seems like a different age.

I don't wish to harp on about it, because if you are a US user having problems it must be very annoying, but I'm simply suggesting that at heart, the Z10 is just fine, so there is cause for optimism.
    04-16-13 07:37 AM
    LOL Jonesy, your putting the Z10 in your holster backwards!
    LMAO! You had me thinking there for a second! If I put it in the other way around, which would be the screen facing into my hip, then I can't see the LED alert, so either way I'm screwed. In meetings, and I have many to slog through in a week, the ringer and vibe are muted and I rely on the LED alerts for important emails.
    Last edited by Jonesy1966; 04-16-13 at 09:07 AM.
    04-16-13 07:39 AM
104 ... 2345