Hey Guys,

Sorry for the slow response. My fianc�e flew into NYC Wednesday evening so I took the last few days "off"... have barely seen her since November with all the craziness of the last few months. Totally tried to disconnect. Think I have a few other outstanding forum threads I need to jump in on too, so will get to those soon.

SO... as for problems with my Z10, I've been trouble free compared to some of the issues others have been reporting.

What I'm using:
    - Bought a Rogers BlackBerry Z10 in Toronto back in February the day it came out. Used that on Rogers in Canada for ~ six weeks, until I came to NYC. When I was in Toronto with the phone (using LTE), I found the battery life to be less than stellar (prior to first OS update). After the OS update it was probably 35% better on LTE. When I got back to Winnipeg, where I didn't have LTE, then the battery life was amazing. Just on HSPA+ after the OS update, could go 24 hours on a battery with decent use.

- In coming to New York, the first few days I was roaming on AT&T off my Rogers SIM card. Now I have an AT&T SIM card in my Z10.

I have NEVER EVER had the phone reboot on me. Not even once.

Re: Battery life. Battery life in NYC on AT&T is definitely not as a good as I experienced in Canada. This is NOT a surprise to me, as this is something I have experienced literally with every single phone I have used in NYC over the past six years (BB, iOS, Android). When you're in NYC (as opposed to a Canadian city), your have way more cell towers in a small area that your phone is fighting to decide which to use, so you waste way more battery juice with your phone constantly flipping between towers as you go around the city. Also, way more big buildings.... radio cranks itself up to maintain connectivity. For the most part I'm still getting through the day on a charge on my Z10 here, especially if I spend a decent amount of the day in the office (where I'm on WiFi). If I'm off WiFi all day and going around the city, then I need my spare battery.

Over the years we've found the carrier your BB is on can make a huge difference. One of the tests I suggest for people is just to spend some time on the phone with the carrier disconnected (just use the phone on WiFi only), and you'll probably find any weird stuff (reboots) will go away. Also, carrier-specific problems will likely get fixed with net OS update. In the pre-release phase, there is only so much testing companies can do. Once the phone is out in the real world, then BB has a lot more data to work with to fix any issues.

So overall, I've had no real issues with my Z10. But since it seems to be VZW I'm observing the most complaints about, I'm going to switch to a Verizon Z10 this week and see if/how that changes on my end. I've been using it on AT&T for a few weeks now so have a good track record with it. Will be easy for me to determine how it compares for me in the same sort of setting.
    04-15-13 05:57 AM
    What about you Bla1ze, had any of the issues I mentioned?
    My contacts are a train wreck.. but that's about it. No random reboots, no battery issues, no real app crashes. Hell, I've never even had to do a battery pull yet.

All of my concerns revolve around things that were taken out or not yet added to BB10 that were available on BBOS. Some of which, I already know is coming soon as BlackBerry is aware of it all.

All in all, BlackBerry 10 and the Z10 has been fine for me. Could it be better? Absolutely. But there isn't any 'showstoppers' that prevent me from using (and enjoying) the device.

I should note, I'm on T-Mobile right now and not using a retail device. I'm using my LE red Z10. I don't know if that matters much but, as a reference that's what I'm running. Ohh, and that's T-Mobile LTE as well, since I'm in Phoenix currently.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 06:01 AM
    No you are mistaken, it's global.
    No, the reboots are carrier-based. If you don't believe me, search the forums for a reboot thread prior to the American release. UK and Canada had the phone for an entire month and no reboot problems.
    bigbmc26, cman5 and brian4591 like this.
    04-15-13 06:04 AM
    There you go. From the man himself OP please be happy btw who's Dave?

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    04-15-13 06:06 AM
    That awesome Kevin and Blaze!! Thanks for the feedback guys.
    cman5 likes this.
    04-15-13 06:08 AM
    Hey Guys,

Sorry for the slow response. My fianc�e flew into NYC Wednesday evening so I took the last few days "off"... have barely seen her since November with all the craziness of the last few months. Totally tried to disconnect. Think I have a few other outstanding forum threads I need to jump in on too, so will get to those soon.

SO... as for problems with my Z10, I've been trouble free compared to some of the issues others have been reporting.

What I'm using:
    - Bought a Rogers BlackBerry Z10 in Toronto back in February the day it came out. Used that on Rogers in Canada for ~ six weeks, until I came to NYC. When I was in Toronto with the phone (using LTE), I found the battery life to be less than stellar (prior to first OS update). After the OS update it was probably 35% better on LTE. When I got back to Winnipeg, where I didn't have LTE, then the battery life was amazing. Just on HSPA+ after the OS update, could go 24 hours on a battery with decent use.

- In coming to New York, the first few days I was roaming on AT&T off my Rogers SIM card. Now I have an AT&T SIM card in my Z10.

Re: Battery life. Battery life in NYC on AT&T is definitely not as a good as I experienced in Canada. This is NOT a surprise to me, as this is something I have experienced literally with every single phone I have used in NYC over the past six years (BB, iOS, Android). When you're in NYC (as opposed to a Canadian city), your have way more cell towers in a small area that your phone is fighting to decide which to use, so you waste way more battery juice with your phone constantly flipping between towers as you go around the city. Also, way more big buildings.... radio cranks itself up to maintain connectivity. For the most part I'm still getting through the day on a charge on my Z10 here, especially if I spend a decent amount of the day in the office (where I'm on WiFi). If I'm off WiFi all day and going around the city, then I need my spare battery.

Over the years we've found the carrier your BB is on can make a huge difference. One of the tests I suggest for people is just to spend some time on the phone with the carrier disconnected (just use the phone on WiFi only), and you'll probably find any weird stuff (reboots) will go away. Also, carrier-specific problems will likely get fixed with net OS update. In the pre-release phase, there is only so much testing companies can do. Once the phone is out in the real world, then BB has a lot more data to work with to fix any issues.

So overall, I've had no real issues with my Z10. But since it seems to be VZW I'm observing the most complaints about, I'm going to switch to a Verizon Z10 this week and see if/how that changes on my end. I've been using it on AT&T for a few weeks now so have a good track record with it. Will be easy for me to determine how it compares for me in the same sort of setting.
    And that's why you are the man. Thanks for the update from both you and Bla1ze. From what I've read it seems the rebooting could be hardware based so I'll make an exchange and see if it is resolved. Thanks again.
    John Pawling and richardat like this.
    04-15-13 06:11 AM
    You're voicing my main hesitation on getting an OS10 device (Q10 preferred): it's about all I've read on features that have been removed from 7.1. Many excuse it as OS10 being V1, which I find inexcusable: an overhaul should still contain features that makes legacy a dream- for me at least. I will wait and see- maybe OS11. Yours and Kevin's posts the most informative- vs so many subjective flames. Thank you both.
    04-15-13 06:36 AM
    I've been using it on AT&T for a few weeks now so have a good track record with it. Will be easy for me to determine how it compares for me in the same sort of setting.
    AT&T here. I've seen perhaps two reboots in the few weeks that I've owned it. At least one of those was almost certainly app related.

What I've seen more often is lack of connectivity. The phone will report a solid set of 4G bars, but will be completely unable to communicate. The phone will attempt to make calls that end up going nowhere (just dead silence). It will be unable to send texts, BBM or emails. The browser will be unable to resolve web pages... and so on. At least once I've seen it recognize this state and claim that only emergency calls were possible, and that only "limited" WiFi capability was available.

Rebooting the phone restored full network connectivity.
    04-15-13 07:38 AM
    Hey, who"s this Kevin dude ....I just google him and it just showed some guy getting his ponytail cutoff ....LOL
    bahahahahahaha spence...I spit my coffee out over that....btw...send me another whatsapp invite, would ya? switched back to my bold for a bit! *grins*
    04-15-13 07:53 AM
    There you go. From the man himself OP please be happy btw who's Dave?

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    Don't you worry about it. Dave's not here.

Posted via CB10
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    04-15-13 10:11 AM
    Good to see that long post from Kevin and some input from Bla1ze. Just like Kevin I haven't had any rebooting issues at all. And to agree with Bla1ze, my contacts were a train wreck up until I deleted my Gmail and twitter and just set up my hub again. I haven't had any contact issues since.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 10:30 AM
    I'm using my LE Z10 on T-Mo. I've experienced a few random re-boots. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with low Free Memory.
    Often times I only have one active frame open and I check the Free Memory and it is 950MB or less. There is also an unanswered post on the BlackBerry support forms on this.

Reboot/Restarts / Memory Leaks - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    mamous likes this.
    04-15-13 11:00 AM
    Hey Guys,

What I'm using:

Nice too hear from you on your experience of the Z10 so far.

I only had on reboot and it was app related an app called zodiac horoscope something like that. It did the reboot when I closed the app, I deleted the app and no problems since.

I am on rogers network in Ontario city with no LTE service.

I do believe it's OS based in the USA issues of rebooting an who knows I could be an app VZW an AT&T implemented onto the network or device.

A small percentage of ported android apps are making the Z10 reboot = bad code.
    04-15-13 11:02 AM
    Hi my name is Danny and I have no major issues with my Z10.

Some reason this thread feels like an AA meeting lol.

My contacts are a mess though. But a fix is on the way I'm told. And my phone does get hot if I use it too much or stream some HD video. But I haven't got scientific in trying to figure that out or to see if it effects ny battery. Doesn't happen enough to warrent such research.

Posted via CB10
    BlackberryPig likes this.
    04-15-13 11:20 AM
    When I read this post a hour or so ago I decided to do a quick google search. Kevin does not have a wikipedia page. He should have.
    Actually the one who should have a Wikipedia page is Kevin's fiancee. She. Is. HawT.
    04-15-13 11:41 AM
    Actually the one who should have a Wikipedia page is Kevin's fiancee. She. Is. HawT.
    And who is Kevin's fiancee?
    Inquiring minds would like to know...

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 11:53 AM
    Some guys have all the luck...

Posted via Z10
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-15-13 12:01 PM
    I'm in the same boat as Kevin (apart from not having to switch companies, countries, etc). I've had pretty much zero issues since I got the phone on release day on Canada (5 Feb 13). I'm on Rogers and am using the black version of the Z10 (don't think that makes a difference).

I don't have a whole lot of contacts, so when I say I have no issues with mine, I simply mean that my FB contacts don't show up in my address book and I only see my SIM contacts when I go into the app. The only issue I have is if I am in the phone app and I want to track down a contact, it brings up all of my FB contacts in addition to the SIM ones, but I'm usually looking for a specific person at that point, so a simple search within the phone app solves that. After the FB update I was having issues with my contacts and FB communicating, but that was an issue with the FB app and not my contacts. It was fixed, but I had to delete my FB account and re-add it.

I have only had one random reboot, and it was during a call while I was on bluetooth. I'm not sure why it happened, but I have been monitoring since and there hasn't been a reboot since, so I'm not sure what the issue was that caused it, but I'm going to assume either something carrier related or user error on my part.

Battery life has been great for me - I work in a job where I am not permitted to use my phone, so I use it for a bit in the morning on my commute, put it in airplane mode for the work day (apart from using it during breaks and such) and then use it fairly heavily from the end of the work day (3PM-ish) until I go to bed (11:30-midnight ish) and I'm usually down to about 65% by the time I go to bed. Most of the time I stick it on the charger at night, but sometimes I forget and I usually have no trouble repeating the process the next day if I forget without having to use the spare battery. It's a toss-up between LTE and HSPA+ for me depending on what I am doing. I've generally found the speed for HSPA+ to be perfectly adequate and much, much faster than the 9900, despite being the same type of connectivity (likely because of the newer antenna and lack of BIS). I'm usually getting somewhere between 8-12 Mbps (according to speedtest.net, though I've found that being stuck using the fully rendered version of the website as I can't seem to figure out how to make a mobile version work tends to slow the test down) when on HSPA+ and between 15-23 Mbps on LTE (usually the lower option, as I usually don't get more than three bars of service when on LTE, but a constant five bars on HSPA+).

I'm very happy with the Z10 experience. I'm not a "power user" and I don't use my phone for work, so I can't comment in that respect. I don't mind the 30 day limit on email because of what was previously stated. In the rare event that I need an old email on my phone, I log into the browser and forward a copy to myself. I do miss my @blackberry.net email address as I used that extensively with my gmail account as a means of masking where my emails come from (sent emails from @blackberry.net but was seen to be sending them from @gmail.com). It was a nice feature and I miss it, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

I'm more than pleased with the features that were put into the phone and that outweighs the disappointment I've felt by some of the features that were removed from BBOS. I'm hopeful that some of these features will return, but if they don't, I will still be happy with the experience. With all the hype surrounding the Q10, I can't help but want to get my hands on one as well, and I also can't help but wonder if I had known what the specs for the Q10 were (better LTE antenna, AMOLED screen, bigger battery, etc), I might have waited for the Q10 launch; however I didn't, and I plunged in with the Z10 (a decision I do not regret). It's a great phone that works well and is the smoothest experience I have ever had with a phone. EVER.

JB
    John Pawling and yvpan1 like this.
    04-15-13 12:02 PM
    Don't you worry about it. Dave's not here.

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha...stellar

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 12:15 PM
    1. No
    2. Can't answer a subjective question.
    3. Not on T-Mobile.
    4. Google contacts issue.
    5. App controlled.
    6. No

That's my experience in the past 3 weeks. So far 220 talk minutes done. 388 text messages sent/received. 5.22GB of data downloaded.

Posted via CB10
    I'm rolling up to the three week on mine. Havent rebooted one. On purpose or not.

As far as battery. I find it better than most 4g phones out there, but not near as good as my 9780. So Meh.

I'm on T-Mo as well, no lag on text msgs.

The only duplicate contacts were when I first moved over from my old bb, had a lot of dups. Once I linked, removed some of the dups, it has been fine.

Yeah, the phone gets hot, expecially when I am doing a lot of data intensive stuff. Doesnt surprise me. Not worried about it.

If you try to load a bookmark from your old bbos phones that was set to be avail off-line, it'll cause the browser to crash. /once/ then it'll load fine after that. Only issue I've found.

I've got 39 minutes used, 454 txt msgs, and 13.7GB used. I couldnt be happier with this phone.
    04-15-13 12:43 PM
    I've had "Mobile Data" off for the last week (Data Cap), and haven't suffered the daily restart since...

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 12:50 PM
    I like the way Bla1ze put, cause my contacts are a "train wreck" also! But other than that I love this phone! I just snuck the 10.0.10.822 OS on my Verizon Z10 device and battery life is 10 times better. (I'm exaggerating a little, ok ALOT, but it's much better) And I never had the random reboots issue thank GOD!
    04-15-13 12:58 PM
    1. Bad battery life
    2. Phone running hot
    it sucks
    04-15-13 01:12 PM
    I like the way Bla1ze put, cause my contacts are a "train wreck" also! But other than that I love this phone! I just snuck the 10.0.10.822 OS on my Verizon Z10 device and battery life is 10 times better. (I'm exaggerating a little, ok ALOT, but it's much better) And I never had the random reboots issue thank GOD!
    And how did you get that update n a Verizon phone pray tell?
    04-15-13 01:28 PM
    And how did you get that update n a Verizon phone pray tell?
    More than likely the leaked OS v10.0.10.822 that was posted on the CB main page yesterday.

Leaked OS v10.0.10.822 for the BlackBerry Z10 (STL100-2) | CrackBerry.com
    04-15-13 01:44 PM
104 12345