Well, I just got off the phone with Virgin Mobile a few minutes ago, talking about an early upgrade to a Z30 from my Z10. I couldn't believe what I was just told.....

I asked her why at Bell, they offer the Z30 hardware for free and at Virgin, they don't even offer the Z30. She told me that quote "You know the BBM thing for IPhone and Android? It's to commemorate BlackBerry being phased out of the hand set market. They are being phased out. "

I asked her what she meant. I asked her if BlackBerry is going bankrupt, and she said no, but they are phasing out the Hand sets. That's why we aren't seeing them being carried at Costco anymore, for example.
    Apparently that is why there are only about three models of BlackBerry phones to choose from at Virgin. I said, well, you better do some more research, because they are coming out with a few more hand sets this year alone. She said that's not necessary.....she didn't need to research anything further. Apparently, BlackBerry told them this.

Are we doomed with the BlackBerry phones we currently have and with the services provided?

Someone. Please fill me in why she said this.

Posted Via Z10
    02-08-14 01:53 PM
    I vary between thinking that some network staff make things up as they go along cos I hear some daft reasons for not stocking Blackberry devices.....and that some network employees just might be getting commision on other makes.....
    02-08-14 02:02 PM
    Yeah Ok. Wow. Phasing out handsets. Maybe she said that since Virgin doesn't carry the Z30 and she didn't want to lose a sale or potentially a customer (depending on how much you want the Z30). Even if BlackBerry decides to phase out handsets in the future, the one you own will still work.

Posted via CB10 by way of a Z30
    02-08-14 02:06 PM
    Virgin Mobile are **** when it comes to selling phones here in the UK at least. Their contracts are fine, but its their phone shop which is rubbish and usually has very outdated phones or the latest phones at sky high prices. I wouldn't believe anything they say regarding this issue. They won't know anything more than we do.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-08-14 02:07 PM
    BlackBerry going corporate may mean you buy devices outright from BlackBerry direct. This person probably misinterpreted "Virgin won't be selling BlackBerry handsets" as "BlackBerry isn't selling (making) handsets anymore".

BlackBerry selling handsets unlocked without carrier "interference" anymore can only be a good thing: all that money wasted on the carrier launch that did more harm to the BlackBerry brand than good: put that money into direct sales / marketing rather than costly store displays then have the store staff s*it all over the thing by talking it down.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 03:56 PM
    Yea, I got my Z10 from Digicel corporate , but going into 3 franchised Digicel stores I did not see one Z10 or Q10 for sale, displayed.....i called Digicel head office and bitched to them about it

Digicel Jamaica Official10.2.1.1925 release
    02-08-14 06:24 PM
    Yea, I got my Z10 from Digicel corporate , but going into 3 franchised Digicel stores I did not see one Z10 or Q10 for sale, displayed.....i called Digicel head office and bitched to them about it

Digicel Jamaica Official10.2.1.1925 release
    Strange
    All 3 phones are still publicly displayed here in Curacao by Digicel and you can buy them normally. They always have promo's with them in it (when they don't use the DL-600)

Posted via CB10
    Jbernardoo likes this.
    02-08-14 06:45 PM
    Well, I just got off the phone with Virgin Mobile a few minutes ago, talking about an early upgrade to a Z30 from my Z10. I couldn't believe what I was just told.....

I asked her why at Bell, they offer the Z30 hardware for free and at Virgin, they don't even offer the Z30. She told me that quote "You know the BBM thing for IPhone and Android? It's to commemorate BlackBerry being phased out of the hand set market. They are being phased out. "

I asked her what she meant. I asked her if BlackBerry is going bankrupt, and she said no, but they are phasing out the Hand sets. That's why we aren't seeing them being carried at Costco anymore, for example.
    Apparently that is why there are only about three models of BlackBerry phones to choose from at Virgin. I said, well, you better do some more research, because they are coming out with a few more hand sets this year alone. She said that's not necessary.....she didn't need to research anything further. Apparently, BlackBerry told them this.

Are we doomed with the BlackBerry phones we currently have and with the services provided?

Someone. Please fill me in why she said this.

Posted Via Z10
    Thanks for the laugh of the day. So she must know John Chen on a personal basis, and in spite of what we heard from him on that issue, she has a different scoop. O. K. tell me something that is really believable now
    02-08-14 07:21 PM
    I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I said to her that BlackBerry is coming out with a few more hand sets this year! She downplayed that idea, and said BBM was basically a pitty thing for Apple and Android, as BlackBerry hand sets are on their way out the door! Lol.

Posted Via Z10
    02-08-14 07:31 PM
    Are u from Canada, OP? Cause in canada virgin is the budget carrier under a larger premium carrier (Bell). The same as Fido under Rogers and Koodo is under Telus. These budget carriers never carry the "less popular" high end phones. The only high end phones they carry is iphone and s4's.

This is because they have cheap rate plans. The parent company who have expensive rate plans will have all the phones because they charge alot more monthly. Its one of the few incentive for customers to actually sign up with the parent company.

Posted via CB10
    Lawrie Sherratt likes this.
    02-08-14 08:00 PM
    I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I said to her that BlackBerry is coming out with a few more hand sets this year! She downplayed that idea, and said BBM was basically a pitty thing for Apple and Android, as BlackBerry hand sets are on their way out the door! Lol.

Posted Via Z10
    I hope Chen can make BlackBerry have a come back so they all can eat their words lol

Posted via the Amazing Q10 10.2.1.537
    02-08-14 08:01 PM
    Actually, Virgin gives the best plans, but you pay for the hardware.
    Bell gives you less of a plan, but the hardware is free.

Posted Via Z10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    02-08-14 08:02 PM
    As for the comment about BlackBerry phasing out handsets: telco employees know nothing more than you and I about smartphones and their makers. Shes talking out her ***. I know, I used to work for one of these companies.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 08:02 PM
    planning to buy z10 next week.now I'm thinking twice whether to buy it or not. Howeve with the continuous software update I don't think they will stop handset business...

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    02-08-14 08:13 PM
    I call B.S.!!
    acovey, LuisCast, Carjackd and 3 others like this.
    02-08-14 08:18 PM
    I used to work in sales for camera equipment. My advice is never believe anything a salesperson tells you, period.

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

Most of them don't lie that much, and it might be half true, or just omitting some details. But it's usually slanted for their advantage - Steering you to prefer the product they want you to purchase.

And 9 times out of 10, the consumer walks away unaware.

At least you aren't one of them!
    02-08-14 09:51 PM
    Why did she say that? To get you off the phone.
    wincyUt and RyanGermann like this.
    02-08-14 09:58 PM
    A lot of sales staff are merely focused on selling iOS and Android. A sad state of affairs...
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-08-14 10:41 PM
    At The Source they've pulled off all their Virgin BlackBerry phones from the shelves, said that BlackBerry recalled them or something.

But the Virgin kiosk at the Eaton centre still had them...

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 10:44 PM
    According to Bell website Z30 is $129, it's not free

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 11:42 PM
    Sounds like she was just talking out her rear. Using the same talking points you find on any tech blog with their anti BlackBerry rhetoric.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    02-08-14 11:48 PM
    Clearly this person has no clue what they are talking about. Even if what they are saying is true, it wouldn't be some sales rep who would have knowledge of it before anyone else (this is the first i've heard about a complete phase out)....and certainly wouldn't be because of that "BBM for iPhone and Android thing" lol. People should learn to keep their mouths shut if they don't know what to say.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ray689; 02-09-14 at 12:01 AM.
    bungaboy and brout like this.
    02-08-14 11:49 PM
    If you believe her and not do any research on your own you should just sell your phone and move on!

As of this point, it is obvious that the way the media hates BlackBerry the second the company is doing anything as dumb as that they will be all over it before some bubble gum chewing rep on a phone.

How many stories are we going to hear about this. Until we turn it around on them and call them out for being that stupid they will keep coming. Wow.

Hate solves nothing, Respect gains everything!
    bungaboy and wincyUt like this.
    02-08-14 11:53 PM
    Are u from Canada, OP? Cause in canada virgin is the budget carrier under a larger premium carrier (Bell). The same as Fido under Rogers and Koodo is under Telus. These budget carriers never carry the "less popular" high end phones. The only high end phones they carry is iphone and s4's.

This is because they have cheap rate plans. The parent company who have expensive rate plans will have all the phones because they charge alot more monthly. Its one of the few incentive for customers to actually sign up with the parent company.

Posted via CB10
    Wrong!

Fido carried the Xperia Z for a while, The Z10, and the Q10, Koodo as well. Quite a few decisions by rogers is like you stated but once in a while a surprise happens after 3mths.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    02-09-14 12:18 AM
    OP, you should know better. Or seek second opinions.
    02-09-14 01:03 AM
67 123