I will start by saying, I have been a BlackBerry loyalist for many years. I have allowed nothing but BB's in my house.

Last year I upgraded three phones (wife's, son's and myself) to Z10's. Well about 9 months in my wife's phone dies...not damaged, just went black and wouldn't turn on. Fortunately Rogers warrantied it and she got a replacement.

Then, last week, my son's Z10 did the same thing. I contacted Rogers and at first they said, no problem, bring it in and they will get it fixed up. Well when I get to their store I was advised the phone is two weeks out of warranty and all cost associated with the repair are on me. After a number of conversations with Rogers I was told, too bad, so sad deal with BlackBerry(ya, good luck dealing with them).

So after years of being a BB loyalist I'm not sure I can sound the trumpets much longer. (although I will never be assimilated to the iBorg).
    03-21-14 10:28 AM
    Doesn't Rogers just like Telus have $0 for a new Z30 on a 2 year contract? Depending on how much you have left on your device balance (Z10 needing to be replaced) I think if you're going to spend to have it fixed...it's better to pay the remaining device balance and re-sign a new 2 year and get the Z30 for yourself for free and give your Z10 to your son or vice versa so he can give massive advertising amongst his friends with oooh, aaaah, wow factor, awesome speakers, battery life etc...

Sent via ? BlackBerry Z10 smartphone on Telus Network
    FairlightRacing and awindsr like this.
    03-21-14 10:35 AM
    Well that's why there are warranties. Technology is not infallible. This could have happened to you from any manufacturer and I've known people who have had it worse than you. I'd take the opportunity to get the more powerful Z30 or try something new. See what your son would like maybe. If it's cheaper to fix then just fix it. Crap happens unfortunately.
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    03-21-14 11:19 AM
    Similar thing happened to me, phone went black, wouldn't turn on. Exactly 2 weeks after the warranty expired.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 11:25 AM
    it have to be some kind of code that Blackberry put in their phone so the phone break down 2 week after the warranty expired...

/conspiracy /sarcasm
    03-21-14 11:38 AM
    Well that's why there are warranties. Technology is not infallible. This could have happened to you from any manufacturer and I've known people who have had it worse than you.
    I agree, but when you have a 66.7% failure rate, it doesn't leave a consumer with much confidence in your product.
    03-21-14 12:02 PM
    I agree, but when you have a 66.7% failure rate, it doesn't leave a consumer with much confidence in your product.
    You have a sample size of 3, your failure rate is not relevant. Imagine a person buying one iPhone and it breaks: "Apple has a 100% failure rate, consumers don't have much confidence in their products."

With that said I also want to be helpful in my post. How did you pay for the unsubsidized portion of the phones? If you put it on a credit card you may be covered through them. A lot of credit cards offer an additional year of warranty coverage though I don't know how it would work as you probably did not charge the full cost of the device to the card.
    03-21-14 12:13 PM
    This happened to my Z10 a couple months back (Before I got my Z30.)

I was really hoping to get it repaired, but it's a shame I can't.

I think it's something in the main board that dies. Almost worth it just to buy a brand new one if I wanted one... Otherwise it's worth nothing but parts.

Z30 is so much better anyway.
    03-21-14 12:35 PM
    I have the dubious fortune of being able to witness the reliability (or lack thereof) of literally hundreds of thousands of phones every year. The reasons why I stick with BlackBerry aren't because of the company logo.
    awindsr likes this.
    03-21-14 02:28 PM
    Had the same problem with a Q10. Shut it off one day then tried to power it back up and nothing. Wouldn't take a charge, nothing. Just sitting here now to remind me of my last keyboard. This Z30 is just as easy to type on plus I get that BIG screen for everything else.

Posted via CB 10 on Z30
    03-21-14 02:47 PM
    My first z10 crapped out on me after the first 2 weeks. Got it replaced, and then later a month later the battery failed and replaced it with the battery that comes with the charger bundle. traded it in for a z30 that's has been rock solid so far. Think the z10 has problems. My friends speaker turns off once in a whole and he has to slap it in the back to get it working.....

Z30 Pooooooooower!!!
    03-21-14 02:53 PM
    This thread reminds me of the IT dude, that had one Iphone and one Z10 both out of warranty and the level of service from Apple was exceptional vs BBRY. Some argued it was because of the money flow, but at the same time, California is taking over Canadian markets,,, yet BBRY which I could walk to from my workplace some days -- doesn't have a front like sure bring it in - we test pay parts good bye.

They are understaffed and just focused on reporting a profit, They have gotten very money hungry. BB10 huge success had the marketing not be a totally fking flop.

Anyway what I would suggest you do is email BBRY directly and see what happens even call them claim your 700+ bought from carrier brand new phone should last more than a year etc etc. I hope they help you out -- POST BACK
    03-21-14 02:58 PM