Ha ha ha so much for high price talks in India...

It's a virtual dogfight happening here in India today for every unit. Despite having friends inside blackberry yet to lay my hand on one.
    02-27-13 01:12 AM
    Great to hear the Z10 is in such high demand in India as well.

Posted via CB10
    web99, SDTRMG, ddlax22 and 5 others like this.
    02-27-13 01:17 AM
    Yes, BlackBerry seems to be back in the game with this innovation. And the device ofcourse is amazing.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Z10
    02-27-13 01:21 AM
    Think there are more people who are willing to shell out the big bucks for a new Z10 than some would think. Right now, it's a flagship phone, and so it's going to be expensive. Price will fall as the year progresses for sure though.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    02-27-13 01:42 AM

It's a virtual dogfight happening here in India today for every unit. Despite having friends inside blackberry yet to lay my hand on one.
    Can you let us know why you say that it's a virtual dogfight? Is it based on something you saw or something that someone told you, etc.?
    02-27-13 02:00 AM
    More info please? what are we dealing with, line ups sell outs or not so much?
    Pictures if its line ups, please.
    Jince likes this.
    02-27-13 02:26 AM
    Or is it there are few units to sell? Dogfight sounds like the carcass is singular or small.

I am really hoping that BB has plenty for the US release.
    02-27-13 03:13 AM
    One report in another thread is a shop ordered 182 and got something like 12 from the distributors. I'd say it's the usual supply throttling trick.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    02-27-13 03:15 AM
    Interested in this, as there was so much acrimony posted elsewhere about the high price there.
    02-27-13 03:15 AM
    More info please? what are we dealing with, line ups sell outs or not so much?
    Pictures if its line ups, please.
    Dapper,
    No one in India would line up to get a phone. Not saying that we are snobs, but the thing is that anyone buying a $800 phone in India is one of the privileged people in India.
    We don't buy from big chain stores, rather we buy from what you would call Mom and Pop stores. Simply because we get to know the retailer and form a longterm relationship with them which helps in getting better service. So mostly the phones are delivered to our homes or we just send someone to pick it up.
    As an example of what the OP is saying, my retailer had pre-booking for 185 Z10s but only got 12 from Redington. Now those 185 would be his regular customers and since he wouldn't want to annoy anyone he would have to be very careful how he sells his 12 units on day one. Luckily my friends and family all buy phones from that one retailer, so I am in his list of people he wouldnt want to annoy ( amongst us 8 we buy nearly 25 phones a year from him). That retailer has kept four units for us today. He called two hours ago to tell me to have those 4 picked up at 4 PM sharp as there is the dogfight going on as per OP's claim.
    Guess every market is different and the way stuff is sold is different too. As an example of the kind of facility and trust we enjoy from the retailer is that we normally pick up the phones and send him the cash or check a week or two later.
    02-27-13 03:18 AM
    One report in another thread is a shop ordered 182 and got something like 12 from the distributors. I'd say it's the usual supply throttling trick.
    Either supply throttling or not enough production. Thorsten Heins did say that they have had to increase production.
    But I could believe the supply throttling as well. There is a reason for this. A close friend of mine is heading a Mobile chain store. The way it works is that if every retailer is given enough supply then the smaller retailers would start giving discounts from their own margin and reduce the price point overall. This would anger the retailers who do high volumes of BBs as this is the time when they can sell the phone at full price and make full margin on it. Remember these are the same retailers who pushed BB when BB had no new models for a year. They gave heavy discounts from their own margins to maintain sales. This is how BB will repay them by allowing them a week or two of full margins and not providing phones to retailers who are the fly by night operators who only want to make a quick buck when the going is good but otherwise don't push BB's. There are a lot of factors going on when it comes to retail chain management.
    02-27-13 03:23 AM
    Hmmm. Interesting. I've noticed the Grey Market for Z10's has fallen pretty dramatically in the past few days. A week ago, they were selling for $1500 on eBay from a UK drop shop. Same ad this week is $800. Expansys.com.au have dropped the price to $770 and Mobilcity is now $749. ThinkOfUs (a HK drop shipper) is now at $710.00 and in stock in Sydney.
    02-27-13 03:30 AM
    Dapper,
    No one in India would line up to get a phone. Not saying that we are snobs, but the thing is that anyone buying a $800 phone in India is one of the privileged people in India.
    We don't buy from big chain stores, rather we buy from what you would call Mom and Pop stores. Simply because we get to know the retailer and form a longterm relationship with them which helps in getting better service. So mostly the phones are delivered to our homes or we just send someone to pick it up.
    As an example of what the OP is saying, my retailer had pre-booking for 185 Z10s but only got 12 from Redington. Now those 185 would be his regular customers and since he wouldn't want to annoy anyone he would have to be very careful how he sells his 12 units on day one. Luckily my friends and family all buy phones from that one retailer, so I am in his list of people he wouldnt want to annoy ( amongst us 8 we buy nearly 25 phones a year from him). That retailer has kept four units for us today. He called two hours ago to tell me to have those 4 picked up at 4 PM sharp as there is the dogfight going on as per OP's claim.
    Guess every market is different and the way stuff is sold is different too. As an example of the kind of facility and trust we enjoy from the retailer is that we normally pick up the phones and send him the cash or check a week or two later.
    Totally understandable. Thanks for the info.
    02-27-13 03:33 AM
    Hmmm. Interesting. I've noticed the Grey Market for Z10's has fallen pretty dramatically in the past few days. A week ago, they were selling for $1500 on eBay from a UK drop shop. Same ad this week is $800. Expansys.com.au have dropped the price to $770 and Mobilcity is now $749. ThinkOfUs (a HK drop shipper) is now at $710.00 and in stock in Sydney.
    Whats your thoughts on reasoning, Just simply lack of demand in Australia. Never has been a big BB market, or has it?
    950 + in Thailand.
    02-27-13 03:34 AM
    Either supply throttling or not enough production. Thorsten Heins did say that they have had to increase production.
    But I could believe the supply throttling as well. There is a reason for this. A close friend of mine is heading a Mobile chain store. The way it works is that if every retailer is given enough supply then the smaller retailers would start giving discounts from their own margin and reduce the price point overall. This would anger the retailers who do high volumes of BBs as this is the time when they can sell the phone at full price and make full margin on it. Remember these are the same retailers who pushed BB when BB had no new models for a year. They gave heavy discounts from their own margins to maintain sales. This is how BB will repay them by allowing them a week or two of full margins and not providing phones to retailers who are the fly by night operators who only want to make a quick buck when the going is good but otherwise don't push BB's. There are a lot of factors going on when it comes to retail chain management.
    Again Understandable and a resonable responce IMO.
    02-27-13 03:36 AM
    you should of taken pics so we can brag about it !
    02-27-13 03:42 AM
    I haven't seen too many selling for 1500 in the last few weeks. I believe that was weeks ago when the first sales happened.
    jesse_h likes this.
    02-27-13 04:21 AM
    Yeah just checked all of the completed listings for the last few weeks. There were a few that sold for ridiculous amounts at the start of Feb and since then it's mostly been 750-900. The allegation that these things were commonly selling for 1500 up to a few days ago on the Grey market and now all of a sudden it has dropped off is false. Prices have been fairly consistent with the exception of a few higher ones with the first batch for sale.
    jesse_h likes this.
    02-27-13 04:31 AM
    You checked eBay Australia?
    02-27-13 05:03 AM
    Sorry was away. Sam is right we don't lineup we have trusted reseller who would arrange it for us and either home deliver it or ask us to pick it up.

Supply throttling is also a scenario as they are not giving enough to keep the demand and curiosity high.
    02-27-13 05:05 AM
    Why in the world would BB hold back stock?
    02-27-13 05:05 AM
    Good thread people. Knowing how the consumer market works in emerging countries is interesting.

Sent from Bold 9930 #blackberrybychoice
    kbz1960 and anon(375378) like this.
    02-27-13 05:32 AM
    Good thread people. Knowing how the consumer market works in emerging countries is interesting.
    Not that it's not true in a certain economic context, but seeing the birthplace of some of the most ancient cultures and civilizations in the world referred to as an "emerging country" makes me chuckle a bit.
    02-27-13 07:09 AM
    You checked eBay Australia?
    No. I checked ebay.com. The one that encompasses them all.
    02-27-13 07:16 AM
    The comments about the price are humorous. Of course it's expensive when it's first released. There will be a price drop in 6 months and another in a year. Has anyone bought a new model of a car when it first comes out? You pay a premium and a year later its cheaper or there ae a bunch if accessories included.

There will be a Curve type cheaper model this year but why would they bring that our now when they can sell z10s?

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 07:20 AM
152 123 ...