Hi Guys

Let me firstly say I was a huge blackberry fan & user from 2008-2011, using the curve, then bold 9000, storm 2, bold 9700 and finally the bold 9900. I have since jumped to an iPhone 4S and my current phone is the 5. I was instantly curious when I first heard about the z10 coming out and have done a little research on it. I was looking for any ex iphone users who have recently made the swap over?

Don't get me wrong, I think the IP5 is a fantastic phone, but things like games don't really appeal to me, I use xbox for that. Also having an iPad feels just like having a giant iPhone at times, I don't really have a need for both. The OS on iPhone has always felt a little dull and the amount of people who have iPhones here in the UK is staggering, I fancy trying to be a little different. I also toyed with the Lumia 820/920 and Xperia Z, however my curiosity towards the z10 keeps coming back.

I just want a good web browser, some solid apps, a good camera and good source of email.

Any help would be much appreciated guys.
    05-06-13 05:40 AM
    Hi Guys

Let me firstly say I was a huge blackberry fan & user from 2008-2011, using the curve, then bold 9000, storm 2, bold 9700 and finally the bold 9900. I have since jumped to an iPhone 4S and my current phone is the 5. I was instantly curious when I first heard about the z10 coming out and have done a little research on it. I was looking for any ex iphone users who have recently made the swap over?

Don't get me wrong, I think the IP5 is a fantastic phone, but things like games don't really appeal to me, I use xbox for that. Also having an iPad feels just like having a giant iPhone at times, I don't really have a need for both. The OS on iPhone has always felt a little dull and the amount of people who have iPhones here in the UK is staggering, I fancy trying to be a little different. I also toyed with the Lumia 820/920 and Xperia Z, however my curiosity towards the z10 keeps coming back.

I just want a good web browser, some solid apps, a good camera and good source of email.

Any help would be much appreciated guys.
    This z10 is for you... email is what BlackBerry is built for back in the day... browser took them 3 years but they finally got it right and out of every android, ios, Wm8 phones touch screen keyboards nothing has ever compared to ios auto correction but once again finally the z10 has nailed their keyboard hip hip hooray!

Stereotypes of phones:

ios = followers of band Wagon don't think for themselves old and wanna be tech savvy people

Android = kids that at heart want an iphone but will pretend to be happy with the overclocked hardware and want to be a little different (but android and ios are identical now)

Windows = clueless people that don't know a thing about phones

BlackBerry = where the smartphone power users lie... the real multi tasking... people who think different and don't want a toy but want a pure connected device without the drama... HELLO BLACKBERRY!!!

They were late to the game but did a good job... camera on this thing incredible and I can actually zoom when taking a video... sorry iphone 5 can't do that can you?!?!
    05-06-13 06:02 AM
    This z10 is for you... email is what BlackBerry is built for back in the day... browser took them 3 years but they finally got it right and out of every android, ios, Wm8 phones touch screen keyboards nothing has ever compared to ios auto correction but once again finally the z10 has nailed their keyboard hip hip hooray!

Stereotypes of phones:

ios = followers of band Wagon don't think for themselves old and wanna be tech savvy people

Android = kids that at heart want an iphone but will pretend to be happy with the overclocked hardware and want to be a little different (but android and ios are identical now)

Windows = clueless people that don't know a thing about phones

BlackBerry = where the smartphone power users lie... the real multi tasking... people who think different and don't want a toy but want a pure connected device without the drama... HELLO BLACKBERRY!!!

They were late to the game but did a good job... camera on this thing incredible and I can actually zoom when taking a video... sorry iphone 5 can't do that can you?!?!
    So are you endorsing these stereotypes, or just wittily pointing them out?

Posted via CB10 using my awesome BB Z10
    05-06-13 06:14 AM
    i would say the z10 is a solid option if you're looking for a good web browser and messaging system. and if you're not crazy into apps, then it's a good option too, i think. there are a few decent apps in the world at the moment with a few major gaps yet to be filled. e.g. we have whatsapp already - native and viber is coming soon too, also skype... overall, though, in my opinion, given how thorsten heins thinks device sales to go, BB10 will become a platform that developers can't ignore. and eventually it will lead more and more to people thinking about portability of apps early on, as is already happening. We can already see that with windows phone - they have filled a lot of app gaps, even though device sales have been slow to reach the decidedly low volumes we're seeing now. (for whatever reason) So i think things are looking up for next year, it seems like all big name apps (essentials that would benefit from being on all platforms - e.g. viber, spotify, netflix even ) will not be able to ignore all 4 "major" platforms - android, iOS, BB10, Windows phone... Unless of course, apple has a wild card up it's sleeve that changes the software game entirely with some Jony Ive inspired black magic. Which i don't think is likely, because i think Tim cook wants to play it safe with the iPhone for now. Minor changes that won't be insignificant, sure, but i think the likely talking point from WWDC will be the creation of a new product category instead.

To answer your question, I feel that you'll be spending most of your time messaging, calling etc. that the z10 would give you a solid experience in that department. And if we support the platform then it will benefit the smartphone landscape as a whole. and eventually, you'll have all your essentials... especially since you have an iPad that you can run the apps you miss on.
    Davids_cj likes this.
    05-06-13 06:24 AM
    lol! no, i think all the power users are still clinging on to android and iOS in some shape or form at the moment. but that's hopefully (likely in my opinion) to change after WWDC. that is going to be the deciding factor for what's going to happen to the smartphone OS war. android market share is going to continue to grow globally for now no matter what - maybe at a slower pace, but it all depends on who's going to manage to steal share from iOS, if that's possible.

but the BB10 experience is cool, and it's only going to get better. And i think the UX paradigms in BB10 are the most advanced on the market, and so we should support it!
    aarty likes this.
    05-06-13 06:30 AM
    Thanks guys. Yeah I'm not a huge user of loads of apps, I just want the most productive ones really. I have a lot of apps on my iphone that I've probably opened once since downloading them.

I had a bit of experience using Android 4.1 JB and just found the whole android experience rather "messy".

BB 10 looks a nice compromise between being different but also clean looking at the same time.
    05-06-13 06:39 AM
    Hollowman if you are blackberry power user I think a Q10 would suit you better. Unless you prefer a bigger screen and touch keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 06:47 AM
    I know someone who had a BlackBerry but bought an iphone 4s to replace her busted BlackBerry. I told her to wait for the z10.

Well I ended up getting the Z10 and for the first week of playing with it, I kept finding cool handy features. I would show it to her and she would get pissed at apple because she hates her phone. But just to point out that she was originally a BlackBerry fan.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 06:49 AM
    You will love the zed10

Posted via CB10
    mango1228 and blakobecwa like this.
    05-06-13 06:51 AM
    i too was a huge bb fan, then switched to the iphone when bb starting falling behind on the apps. had a few versions 1, 3, 4, and then the iphone5. all those years typing on the iphone made me so angry, i just missed the ease of what a phone is supposed to be...and thats a BlackBerry.

i NEVER intended to buy the Z, but instead wait for the Q. well, i couldnt wait, so i bought the Z10 the day it came out on AT&T. its honestly, THE BEST DECISION i have made. everything i loved so much about the BlackBerry is back tenfold. the messaging light i missed so desperately, the keyboard, albeit virtual..is INCREDIBLE. i can type on it flawlessly, unlike the iphone..which in 6 versions of their OS, they have yet to make it better. total joke.

yea, native apps arent all there YET, but ive sideloaded every one i cant live without, so i dont miss a thing about the iphone. at all. you really wont regret it. the BB os is lightyears ahead of apples, so welcome aboard if you decide to get it, and youll see what a phone is really supposed to be like.

ETA: the messages come instantly on my BB vs my iphone. gmail, exchange, etc. 15 mins later, i hear my iphone pinging to tell me i received those same messages. +1
    Grumblegrumble likes this.
    05-06-13 06:58 AM
    I'm also assuming that side loading an app to BlackBerry 10 is probably easier than jailbreaking an iphone.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 07:03 AM
    Hi,

I was a previous iPhone user and I made the switch last year to a Bold 9900 and then onto a Z10. A part from the lack of certain games I used to gave on my iPhone 5, I don't miss ios or the iPhone at all.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 07:11 AM
    If your coming from the iPhone 5 and don't really care about games, you will enjoy the z10. The screen is beautiful. The camera takes great pics and awesome video. With 10.1 you will get hdr pics. Signal strength and call quality far super seeds the iPhone. The virtual keyboard is way better. I came from an iPhone 5 and I am very satisfied. Once you get used to the gestures. You won't wanna ever go back. Trust me. :-)

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 07:11 AM
    I'm also assuming that side loading an app to BlackBerry 10 is probably easier than jailbreaking an iphone.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, and there easy instructions on CB How to do it as well. If you use Chrome browser, there is an extension that will allow you to sideload directly from the browser. All you would need is your desired apps, and to switch your BB/PB into dev. mode. Plug your device in and go! Couple moments later you should have your apps sideloaded and ready to go!
    05-06-13 08:37 AM
    I'm not recommending anything. Try several devices and see which works best for you. Figure out what you need the device for most. Find out if particular apps that YOU need are available for each device that you try. Don't make a decision until you try the devices without a salesperson breathing down your neck like someone trying to sell you something at Christmas.
    Spawn12 likes this.
    05-06-13 08:38 AM
    You sound like me: looking primarily for a tool, not a toy. Also, I do need to occasionally swap batteries. And much prefer removable memory.
    05-06-13 08:42 AM
    Personally, I hate this tool/toy classification and will simply say that the Z10 does both GREAT instead of blasting people for being so narrow-minded. BlackBerry created a phone for BOTH. All the games I have played(including the Dark Knight) has played beautifully.

Talking about things other than games: the keyboard is absolutely phenomenal. The iPhone's virtual keyboard cannot hold a candle to it. With 10.1, it has becoming something more than phenomenal. There is a word there but I can't place it.

The hub brings all your communication together. It may not seem like it would be useful but it is. Instead of just email, text, whatsapp, EVERYTHING is now just communication. No more sandboxes!

The app screen looks like the iOS so no difference there.

Active frames provide a seemless way to multitask and it is GREAT if you use such features.

BlackBerry Link is a bit finicky but importing contacts from your mac's address book is great and all my album art comes through
    05-06-13 09:10 AM
    The process is really simple

1) Ask yourself: What do you like about your current device, and make sure the new one checks off those boxes.

2) Ask yourself: What do you NOT like about your current device and find one that does those things better.

3) Choose your device
    05-06-13 09:20 AM
    05-06-13 09:33 AM
    Personally, I hate this tool/toy classification and will simply say that the Z10 does both GREAT instead of blasting people for being so narrow-minded. BlackBerry created a phone for BOTH. All the games I have played(including the Dark Knight) has played beautifully.
    I concur with this. Any smartphone out there can make phone calls, send text messages and load/send emails. The tool/toy talk needs to die.
    05-06-13 10:06 AM
    Yes, and there easy instructions on CB How to do it as well. If you use Chrome browser, there is an extension that will allow you to sideload directly from the browser. All you would need is your desired apps, and to switch your BB/PB into dev. mode. Plug your device in and go! Couple moments later you should have your apps sideloaded and ready to go!
    I tried to follow those instructions, and it is pretty complicated.

All you have to do is find a website that already has .bar files then download ddpb and connect your device then install. If the app you want doesn't have a bar file yet, use a website that can convert an .apk file to .bar file. You'd be to find the apk file first.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 10:15 AM
    I am not a fan of apple, but I think it's childish argument to call an iphone a toy. Those people who calls it a toy probably never held an iphone. It doesn't feel like a toy at all. Yeah people use it to play games, but it is no toy.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 10:19 AM
    My household owns two iPhones, an iPod Touch, an iPad and two Android devices (one of which is a Nexus 4). I just got a Z10 and can tell you it blows all those other devices away when it comes down to working and multitasking (I came from a Torch 9800).

If you can live with a limited app selection (sideloading Android apps does help), it's better than an iPhone, and for my use, even better than the Nexus 4.
    05-06-13 11:02 AM
    I came back to BlackBerry after a year with my iPhone 4s. The iP4 was a good phone and I had no gripes at all but I am pleased with my z10 and won't be going back to apple again.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 11:17 AM