Great thread, just got my Z10 and active sync email all good to go. It's actually my wifes "upgrade" i'm using it for a few days so I can show her how to use. She is on Galaxy S2 right now. I needed to make sure my corp email would work. It's all good, she LOVES the BB10 so far from her limited use. Will migrate her to the device in a few weeks. Then pickup one for myself.

Keep this thread going, any others switching from Android or Apple please post your thoughts good or bad, also those that are thinking reasons they have not switched so we can collectively advise the CORRECT answer not what you see in the media.
    02-06-13 10:26 PM
    Great thread! Enjoyed reading.
    02-06-13 11:11 PM
    Fantastic thread, keep it coming. As for the customization, they didn't rush the OS, quite the opposite... they decided to strip down on redundancies, and they trimmed too much. Hence the bedside mode being missing, and obviously custom sounds. BlackBerry is aware of some of this issues and will probably fix them in a future update. Sounds and the such are not that important, but I am glad that you're very descriptive with all you have to do to get your info set up while leaving Apple. I knew they had a lot of control over their stuff, but I cannot believe how deep the rabbit hole goes. All this makes me a bit worried about the people who get the device and won't be able to figure out on their own how to do it (they need to be spoon-fed info instead of searching threads like this), because there's a lot of them.
    Anyway, hopefully BlackBerry gets going on making things easier in the future.
    I have to wait until friday for mine, but man... I cannot wait.
    dietertong and cman5 like this.
    02-07-13 01:10 AM
    Love the post but if you're going to make comparisons of the z10 to an iPhone shouldn't it be the iPhone 5? Just saying you have to compare it to the latest so people know how it stacks up against the latest phones
    02-07-13 01:27 AM
    Like anything has really changed between a 4s and 5. It's the same boring os so it's irrelevant.
    02-07-13 01:39 AM
    Love the post but if you're going to make comparisons of the z10 to an iPhone shouldn't it be the iPhone 5? Just saying you have to compare it to the latest so people know how it stacks up against the latest phones
    Actually, he should compare it to the latest android devices, apple stopped innovating around Iphone 3gs... really before that... I mean pull down notifications was good and all but that came from android, imessage was back supported so it wasnt anything special for the iphone 4... I guess the 4s was cool since it had siri... but yea, between 4s and 5 nothing changed except panoramic pictures.....
    02-07-13 08:15 AM
    Why would he compare it to anything you guys are saying? He has an iphone 4s. Not the 5 nor an android. Stop ruining a great thread.
    02-07-13 08:21 AM
    This is the best bb10 thread so far thank you OP , i'll be moving from a bb9810 to the Q but this will help all my iphone converts so muchhh,
    dietertong, M.Rizk and cman5 like this.
    02-07-13 08:45 AM
    Why would he compare it to anything you guys are saying? He has an iphone 4s. Not the 5 nor an android. Stop ruining a great thread.

Just responding to the person who tried to bring in the other device.. I however love this thread and am living vicariously through him since I can not purchase one yet.. (Dumb American Networks..) lol
    02-07-13 09:16 AM
    now this is the kind of info and feedback that makes CB a treasure trove of info...excellent work!!
    cman5 likes this.
    02-07-13 09:37 AM
    This is a great post. Thanks for the detailed information.

I'm not going to lie, I bought the verizon torch 9960 a little over a year ago right after the release, when everyone was oohhh'ing and ahhhh'ing over it. I had the Android Galaxy 1, and missed the BB feel. I am a huge e-mail user and BB by far tops everyone, so I came back.

Everyone was talking about the 9960 like it was great, kind of how people are about the z10 right now. So I jumped on the wagon and came back to BB.

With the 9960 people were saying its snappy and no more hourglass or hangups....that was the case for the first month...then I got restarts, hourglass hangups, slow browsing...tons of issues that I thought were resolved with the new chip and redesigned phone. Some say it was a bad phone, i was on my 3rd and same issues after 1 month of use. Only upgrades I did were whatever was pushed by verizon, and had all of 3 apps on it (FB, Scoremobile-which never works right, and a unit convertor for work). Also sick of App memory leak-seriously WTH is that, only thing i give credit to Apple for is that the iphone's never seem to have this issue.

Reason I am here mentioning this is because I am severely gun shy now. I just got my wife the iphone 5, yes she hates it and so do I---that was a mistake to buy, so basically is going to come down to the GS3 or the Z10.

I hear rave reviews about the GS3...not many people do not like it, I guess it is user preference..like i said i'm a huge e-mail user, but I also want a phone that has a solid OS and is snappy.

I don't upgrade until late march (right around when the z10 comes to the US for verizon--i hope?) , so i will continue to follow the z10 and its issues/non-issues. But I'm scared to death that i will get sucked into a phone that 1-2 months down the like starts choking and slowing up, and that a company who "promises" all the better apps that are "coming" doesn't come thru like they say.

I'm very weary of BB right now, so while the hype is all for the z10, I think we have to wait a little bit to see how it handles day to day activities for long periods of time. Let's see if there is a slowdown of performance after 1-2 months of usage. Also, lets see how fast they upgrade their app store and OS.

Just my 2 cents...i do like blackberry, but there performance has been sub-par to this point, and I've been with them for a while.
    zeteo likes this.
    02-07-13 09:38 AM
    Great thread no less. Thx OP and all others.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    jrohland likes this.
    02-07-13 09:48 AM
    Just found this Be taken over | Blippar
    Cant try as I hadn't owned a non-bb phone since 2008 but for those considering maybe you can give it a go
    02-07-13 09:53 AM
    With the 9960 people were saying its snappy and no more hourglass or hangups....that was the case for the first month...then I got restarts, hourglass hangups, slow browsing...tons of issues that I thought were resolved with the new chip and redesigned phone. Some say it was a bad phone, i was on my 3rd and same issues after 1 month of use
    something for you to consider. I've had my playbook (wifi) since release day. I have not had any issues with memory leak, hourglasses, slowdowns, hangups, battery pulls (which are not possible on a playbook), etc... The occasional app will hang up, but I'm always able to close it since apps are separated from the OS at the core level and app hangups will not freeze the playbook OS.

You may ask what this has to do with the Z10, well, its built on the exact same foundation as the playbook, and it has better performance specs than the playbook. I really believe that any slowdowns, restarts, freezing issues have been put to rest with the Z10 (obviously blackberry has no control over 3rd oarty app performance).

**disclaimer: I dont have a Z10 yet because I'm waiting for Rogers stores near me to re-supply. The 15 closest stores to me are all sold out of the black ones. I will be buying one as soon as I can.**
    J2DABIZO likes this.
    02-07-13 10:15 AM
    something for you to consider. I've had my playbook (wifi) since release day. I have not had any issues with memory leak, hourglasses, slowdowns, hangups, battery pulls (which are not possible on a playbook), etc... The occasional app will hang up, but I'm always able to close it since apps are separated from the OS at the core level and app hangups will not freeze the playbook OS.

You may ask what this has to do with the Z10, well, its built on the exact same foundation as the playbook, and it has better performance specs than the playbook. I really believe that any slowdowns, restarts, freezing issues have been put to rest with the Z10 (obviously blackberry has no control over 3rd oarty app performance).

**disclaimer: I dont have a Z10 yet because I'm waiting for Rogers stores near me to re-supply. The 15 closest stores to me are all sold out of the black ones. I will be buying one as soon as I can.**
    Thank you for your insight, and I pray you are correct because I do want this phone...but I wanted the torch and some people a week after release were stating that it was flawless and no hangups as well. I REALLY hope you are correct!!
    02-07-13 10:55 AM
    Thanks RoverSpitfire...I am looking to switch from an iPhone 4S, likely later this year (once my upgrade fee is a little bit lower), and this is EXACTLY the type of review/experience I was looking for. Very much appreciated!
    cman5 likes this.
    02-07-13 11:24 AM
    Great thread guys

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-07-13 12:56 PM
    Part IV

Two topics today: Resolving iMessage Issues and Battery Time.

Resolving iMessage Issues:
    The iMessage issue previously reported resolved itself very quickly. Apple's obviously fixed their bug, but there are still steps the user has to take to successfully migrate away from iMessage. Mine is now working perfectly fine. Here's what I did.

First: figure out every iOS device you may ever have enabled iMessage on. For me it was two Macs, an iPad and an iPhone.
    Second: For each iOS device, go into the Settings\Messages. Go to Send & Receive. Make sure the mobile number is unchecked. in both "You can be reached at" and "Send new messages from"
    Third: For each Mac, go into Messages Preferences, and turn off the same settings.

I did that at night. By morning all was fine. I sent a message from my wife's iPhone, it tried iMessage, then quickly booted it out to text automatically.

Battery Time
    Lots of threads swirling around about this. Here's my experience between iPhone 4S and Z10.

The iPhone 4S: Like most all touch smartphones, battery time is a bit of a struggle. I could easily run down my iPhone to dead in the course of a day, though usually I could get through an 8 hour workday no problem.

The Z10: I bought two batteries for the Z10. On the first cycle of each battery, run time was atrocious. Yesterday I could almost watch the battery drain. I got about 6 hours from 100% to dead before swapping in the other battery.

But now: today the battery time is excellent. I've been running 6 hours, and I'm at 71% battery remaining.

So how did this miraculous turn of events happen? I needed to adapt my behaviours to the new operating system. BlackBerry does some things differently than iPhone. But what I'd learned about battery management from iPhone came in very handy on the Z10. Here are the steps I took:
    * The iPhone doesn't like having a lot of apps 'open'. I found that I could get about a 20% improvement in performance by closing unnecessary apps. It's something I would do every day or two: go into the 'open' apps by double-clicking the home button, press and hold an icon until the red x's appeared and then close everything I hadn't used in the last hour.
    * I also watched the monitor on the iPhone to get a sense of pace. If the battery seemed to be draining faster than normal, I would close apps, then re-boot the phone. Re-booting also seemed to help, though I couldn't say definitively why.
    * Where iPhone kept apps 'open' they weren't always active. For example, if you sit on Google Finance with your stock picks showing, as soon as you navigate away from Safari, they would stop updating. The application is effectively on pause.
    * So now we come to the Z10. There, BB10 keeps active applications more engaged. They refresh. They display updated tile information. All of this uses battery power. Quick solution: close what you don't need. I know it's part of the benefits of BB10 to have your most recent apps open, but do you really need the weather app open all the time? The Weather Network app (yes, available on BB10!) is a great app, but it uses ads. And they refresh in the background. Which uses data and the radio. Which uses battery. Kill it!
    * On the Z10 apps open so fast there's no need to leave something running in the background if you're not using it regularly, especially if it is a client of any sort (pulling information from the internet).
    * Get yourself a good battery monitor. I tried a bunch. I settled on Battery Info from Toysoft Inc. It is simple, works really well, and doesn't draw any battery while it's running (others that are supported by ads do, and drain more battery, making you check the battery app more frequently, fueling the ad cycle and draining your battery).
    * Go wifi wherever you can. LTE is a massive battery drain. If there's a hotspot around, use it. I'm draining almost no battery when I'm at home on my wifi compared to when I'm at work on LTE.

So now I'm completely happy with my Z10's battery time. Would I like a bigger battery? Sure, who wouldn't like to charge their phone once every few days instead of once a day. But by simply managing your open apps and using a decent battery monitor, it's a whole different ball game.

Hope that helps!
    02-08-13 12:31 PM
    Very informative and written great. Thank you again. The battery still that high after 6 hours sounds great. Seems like it needed to settle in first. That's why I don't pay much attention to reviews, where people played with the phone for just a few hours.
    In my opinion, one needs to spend several days with the device before one should come to any kind of conclusions.
    That is the reason why I listen to you, and not the basher idiots from the "tech" sites.
    02-08-13 12:43 PM
    Part IV

Battery Time
    Lots of threads swirling around about this. Here's my experience between iPhone 4S and Z10.
    This is my experience with the iPhone 4S battery, too. Battery was atrocious for the first week of adjustment, sometimes lasting only 4-5 hours... I thought the phone was defective, but after a while it was great. Easily lasts a full day (morning to late night) of regular usage. I have no doubt the Z10 is the same.

Great info on the iMessage resolution!
    02-08-13 12:47 PM
    thats pretty easy to do, but lol i still can't figure out where to download them from :S duhhhh i'm to lazy to read all the threads we have and dig through the links
    goodereader.com has full instructions and tonnes of apps.
    02-08-13 12:50 PM
    This thread keeps getting better and better. Rogerspitfire aka OP how is emailing on the phone. I keep hearing there is no push. Can you clarify more on your email coming in and out experience? Thanks!
    02-08-13 12:58 PM
    This thread keeps getting better and better. Rogerspitfire aka OP how is emailing on the phone. I keep hearing there is no push. Can you clarify more on your email coming in and out experience? Thanks!
    Good question. I'm sure that the quality of the push varies depending on who your mail provider is. In short, yet it has push, but with some caveats. My experience:

When I had a Pearl back in the day I loved the immediate push e-mail. Same experience on my current corporate Bold. But both those devices were connecting to BIS and BES respectively.

I use Rogers mail for my personal e-mail. It never worked well with the Pearl. I had to reload the service books constantly to get e-mail at all. But my [email protected] address was solid. Again, that's the BIS/BES.

When I switched to my first iPhone (a 3GS), there was no push. The best you could do was to set the phone to poll every 15 minutes. I was very disappointed.

Then Rogers outsourced their e-mail to Yahoo! and Apple launched push for iPhone. This was very sketchy at the start. No idea if it was Yahoo! or Apple, but I suspect it was a bit of both. Tons of complaints from iPhone users.

But after about a year, that firmed right up and push started happening within a reasonable timeframe. Within the last year it has become very reliable and push happens in under a minute from time of send.

Now the Z10. It's slower, but it still get's push. I still have my iPhone active, but not on a mobile network, just wifi. I've noticed that an e-mail will arrive on the iPhone and my iPads first, followed a few minutes later on the Z10. Of course, if you are anxious and want to force the Z10 to poll, you can. After that it resumes waiting for push. Really though, it's just a few minutes, not a big deal.

I expect that over time the bugs will get worked out and BB10 will improve in it's syncronization with Yahoo! and other mail providers just as iOS did.
    nyplaya610 likes this.
    02-08-13 01:14 PM
    The battery on my 4s is terrible. I can't even make it till 3 without having to plug up and charge. Going back to a 9930 until I hear more on the q10.
    02-08-13 01:31 PM
    niceee post OP.

not sure if this was shared but, i never like to use software to get data onto my devices. since the phone is similar to the playbook, i thought i could just view the folders in explorer and copy things on.

I did that, and it works just fine, didnt fiddle with blackberry link, not even for a second. I noticed a transfer speed of 4MB/s through usb. maybe might be faster with my wireless N setup, dont know, didnt try. will try later because wireless is soo convenient .

If i HAD to use blackberry link to copy my files to the device, id be pissed. im glad its not as locked down as apple did forcing users to use ITUNES.
    02-08-13 02:36 PM
160 1234 ...