So I installed the leaked update but my phone was wiped clean. As though it was just bought. A friend who just did a major update to his S4 said that after his update everything was there on his phone. All his contacts, calendar, emails, etc. we're still there. Even missed calls while the phone sat updating. Was what I've done a quirk or is this how BB does updates? I now have to download the apps I had including the password safe, my three email accounts, go back to update the contact list and basically start from scratch?!

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    01-06-14 09:33 PM
    If you install via autoloader everything is wiped clean. If you install the bar files, all data stays.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 09:36 PM
    Two different kinds of updates

BlackBerry 10 Help Channel
    01-06-14 09:39 PM
    Thanks. I'm going back to my last back up which, unfortunately, was a few months back (my bad). Once I do that I'll retry the download but try only the bar files.

One thing, will I be able to get my password safe back intact?

01-06-14 09:45 PM
    Thanks. I'm going back to my last back up which, unfortunately, was a few months back (my bad). Once I do that I'll retry the download but try only the bar files.

One thing, will I be able to get my password safe back intact?

Once you back up, you don't have to load the OS again all that info is gone, the auto loader wipes your phone,

Posted from my Z30
    01-06-14 10:03 PM
    So op didn't opt for the Nokia flip I see.

? AT&T Z10 STL100-3/10.2.0.1791 ?
    01-06-14 10:09 PM
    So op didn't opt for the Nokia flip I see.

A comedian is among us.

kthhrrsn likes this.
    01-06-14 10:11 PM
    If you install via leak, everything will be wiped clean. If you install via your carrier, everything will remain intact. I got tired of waiting for tmobile to release the updates and I took everything into my hands and installed the leak. It's been great so far. I backed up before installing and then restored after installing the leak. It worked like a charm. Only the contacts didnt get restored for some reason. But I have all my contacts synced to windows contacts to syncing back to BB via Link was easy. All in all, if you are installing a leak, then you should just wipe clean and do it. And then resync the contacts. That's what I will do next time.
    01-06-14 10:14 PM
    A comedian is among us.

Said the person who called the Z a Nokia flip and compares installing a leak to an ota update. Apples and oranges there.

skiendhiu likes this.
    01-06-14 10:19 PM
    On the Samsungs the equivalent of an autoloader is loading an OS via "Odin", and that's destructive (wipes everything) just like the autoloader is.

Sachesi can update in-place non-destructively (as can a carrier push) but you can only grab a firmware revision that some carrier somewhere has released via Sachesi, and for 10.2.1 there isn't one out yet.
    curvezzz likes this.
    01-06-14 10:23 PM
    On the Samsungs the equivalent of an autoloader is loading an OS via "Odin", and that's destructive (wipes everything) just like the autoloader is.

Sachesi can update in-place non-destructively (as can a carrier push) but you can only grab a firmware revision that some carrier somewhere has released via Sachesi, and for 10.2.1 there isn't one out yet.
    This has me thinking (yes, dangerous).... If one grabs the Leak and then uses Darcy's tools to extract all the bar files, could one load them NON-destructively via Sachesi?
    01-07-14 12:56 AM
    This has me thinking (yes, dangerous).... If one grabs the Leak and then uses Darcy's tools to extract all the bar files, could one load them NON-destructively via Sachesi?
    No, because you can't get all the BAR files (specifically for the OS and radio) and you need them all.

You can get .SIGNED files for those, but those are missing the manifests that contain the cryptographic checksum information that is normally in the manifest and there is no way to re-create it without BlackBerry's signing keys (which we do not, of course, have.)
    FF22 likes this.
    01-07-14 08:02 AM
    So I installed the leaked update but my phone was wiped clean. As though it was just bought. A friend who just did a major update to his S4 said that after his update everything was there on his phone. All his contacts, calendar, emails, etc. we're still there. Even missed calls while the phone sat updating. Was what I've done a quirk or is this how BB does updates? I now have to download the apps I had including the password safe, my three email accounts, go back to update the contact list and basically start from scratch?!

Well, Autoloader do wipe clean the phone. The only data that will return to your phone is BBM (not the chat history though) Restore data from backup is not recommend because sometimes its just screw up the OS.

Anyway this is a leak which is actually intended for the Crackberrian like us. However for laymen I recommend not to use leak.
    01-07-14 08:11 AM
    Hey There,

I had 2 icons showing for Whatsapp in the Hub after installing the leak. I uninstalled, restarted and then installed Whatsapp again. Now Whatsapp icon is missing from the Hub. Checked the settings and tried changing the Tone. Still Can't get Whatsapp notifications in the Normal menu or in the Hub. Any body with any recommendations ???

Really appreciate any responses.

Regards,

Abu
    01-11-14 10:07 AM
    Hey There,

I had 2 icons showing for Whatsapp in the Hub after installing the leak. I uninstalled, restarted and then installed Whatsapp again. Now Whatsapp icon is missing from the Hub. Checked the settings and tried changing the Tone. Still Can't get Whatsapp notifications in the Normal menu or in the Hub. Any body with any recommendations ???

Really appreciate any responses.

Regards,

Abu
    Delete and use bbm?

01-11-14 10:38 AM
    I just spent an hour and a half on the phone with a BB tech who could not find any reason why my text messages were not in the text message folder. We went through numerous gyrations and there were no known solutions. I deleted Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn because he thought that might be the culprits but no, nothing changed.

And by the way, has anyone had BB link issues such as updates not being successful? I've tapped the update link three times and it's not updated.

01-11-14 12:53 PM