India: iPhone 5 now retailing at lower than Z10!

Apple has now woken up to the threat of Blackberry Z10 in India. Full Page advertisements for the iPhone in the Times of India almost every other day.
    New EMI schemes launched. They seem so desperate.
    Blackberry Z10 on the other hand is out of stock in almost every retail outlet here in Bombay without A SINGLE NEWSPAPER AD since it's launch!!
    The prowess of Blackberry in India! Way to go Z10!

Apple iPhone 5 available at Rs 42,990

I really hope that Blackberry doesn't drag itself in a price war with Apple. Cause I think that's what Apple wants.
    I don't think Blackberry needs to. A retailer in my locality informed me that he has ordered 950 units of Z10s for his customers whereas he has been delivered only 20! Blackberry has assured him that his balance order will be fulfilled by 20th Mar.

This retailer also adds that with the advent of the Z10 in India, the sales of Samsung GS3 and Note2 have dropped to an all-time low! He claims that majority of the people ordering the Z10s from him are current iOS and Android users. Now only if Blackberry could expedite the shipments.

Other Indians here on Crackberry have also posted in threads about their retailers ordering 400 to 500 units of Z10s but being delivered only 5% of that.
    Now there are thousands of retailers like this in Bombay! So just imagine the quantities Blackberry is selling in just one of the cities of India!

If anything they should be increasing the prices. The same retailer informed me that Blackberry is indeed gonna increase the prices to Rs.52,000. (The cheapsters will reappear on CB and start ranting again) The primary reason behind this is the increase in taxes on mobile phones priced below Rs.2,000/- announced by the Finance Minister - Mr. Chidambaram while announcing the Budget. The other reason for increasing the prices is that the Z10 has far more premium parts than all other phones in the market and with the current Demand - Supply scenario in India they don't feel the need to subsidize the Z10.

That's great news for us Blackberry fans in India. Blackberry will be back to being the most expensive, premium and aspirational phone in India!!

The cheapsters who can't afford a Z10 can now go and buy the cheap iPhone5. So what if the iPhone5 looks cheap, is under-powered, has very low battery life, has inferior parts, with bug- ridden OS and has the worst camera, ..you'd still have saved a few hundred dollars!

Apple iPhone 5 available at Rs 42,990 - Times Of India

NEW DELHI: Apple iPhone 5 is among the most expensive smartphones in India, with a price tag of Rs 45,500 for the base model. While the government has raised taxes on phones costing more than Rs 2,000, online retailer Snapdeal has lowered the prices of iPhone 5.

The 16GB variant of Apple iPhone 5 is available on Snapdeal site for Rs 42,990, a discount of Rs 2,500 from its launch price of Rs 45,500. Similarly, the 32 and 64GB variants of the smartphone are available for Rs 50,100 and Rs 57,200. This means Rs 2,400 and Rs 2,300 respectively below their official price tag of Rs 52,500 and Rs 59,500, respectively.
    Prices of iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, the older models in Apple's smartphone series have also been cut by the e-commerce website. iPhone 4, officially available at Rs 26,500, is available for Rs 25,990 on the site. Similarly, iPhone 4S is being sold for Rs 35,500, in comparison to its official price tag of Rs 38,500.

Snapdeal, however, is not selling iPads and iPad mini at lower rates.

This is the first time that a prominent e-commerce player has lowered the price of iPhones across the board. These smartphones have been available at lower cost than the official price tags on websites like Tradus and eBay India, where several retailers can sell their goods on a common platform.

The move could be a potential game changer for the entire top-end smartphone spectrum as other retailers might follow up with a price cut. This pricing already makes at least two recently launched iPhone 5 rivals HTC Butterfly and BlackBerry Z10 more expensive than iPhone 5 (16GB model). These smartphones are priced at Rs 45,500 and Rs 43,490 respectively.
    Last edited by Ron Dennis; 03-30-13 at 03:54 PM.
    03-09-13 09:08 AM
    The iPhone5 dropped in price in a lot of places, this just happened in Canada as well. This isn't India specific. Most electronics drop in price when a new model is close to coming out, this really shouldn't shock anyone. When the next generation of Os10 devices come out, the z10 will drop in price as well.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 09:11 AM
    Funny thing is, it proves that iphone still matters alot, even the price drops is newsworthy.
    03-09-13 09:15 AM
    Funny thing is, it proves that iphone still matters alot, even the price drops is newsworthy.
    It proves a lot that the Z10 still commands a higher price.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 09:40 AM
    Most electronics drop in price when a new model is close to coming out, this really shouldn't shock anyone. When the next generation of Os10 devices come out, the z10 will drop in price as well.
    I beg to differ, If you are trying to say that the Apple is discounting the iPhone 5 since the 5S is around the corner, then you are not correct. There has been no news of 5S launch in the near future.
    And why is the price dropped to just Rs.500 ($10) under the price that the Z10 retails at. They are definitely taking the Z10 threat seriously. I am also pretty sure that their distribution partners would have alerted them that the Z10 is all sold out within 2 days of it's launch.
    03-09-13 09:51 AM
    It proves a lot that the Z10 still commands a higher price.
    Exactly!
    03-09-13 10:55 AM
    The sales guy in Singapore told me yesterday that he sold more Z10s than Galaxy Notes and iPhones.
    Snap51 and R Field like this.
    03-09-13 11:16 AM
    Considering the sales figures from India, or at least that it sold out at the price that it did, where are all those who were tweeting about the ridiculous price and calling it a disaster gone?
    03-09-13 12:05 PM
    My guess is that Apple feels threatened by Samsung announcing he Galaxy S4 next week
    03-09-13 12:13 PM
    I beg to differ, If you are trying to say that the Apple is discounting the iPhone 5 since the 5S is around the corner, then you are not correct. There has been no news of 5S launch in the near future.
    And why is the price dropped to just Rs.500 ($10) under the price that the Z10 retails at. They are definitely taking the Z10 threat seriously. I am also pretty sure that their distribution partners would have alerted them that the Z10 is all sold out within 2 days of it's launch.
    Their is tons of info floating around about a possible phone5S launch at the end of the summer, which fits with Apples previous launch raodmaps. Also, their is also a ton of information out regarding Apple launching a midlevel/cheaper iphone variant as well around this time. Nothing official, but Apple rarely comments early on these types of things. The S4 comes out this week, Apple has no choice but to counter that with a new iphone, they very well can't wait another year to launch a new phone when their biggest competitor has a brandnew flagship on the market.
    03-09-13 12:15 PM
    Finally something that has kicked the arse of Apple!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    03-09-13 12:50 PM
    In the UAE the Z10 sells lower than the iphone5. By 200 dirhams (on online sites) that's $60 cheaper than the iphone5.
    03-09-13 01:47 PM
    Considering the sales figures from India, or at least that it sold out at the price that it did, where are all those who were tweeting about the ridiculous price and calling it a disaster gone?
    The cheapsters have probably gone in their Tata Nanos to buy the Nokia Asha phone - the only device they can afford and deserve!
    03-09-13 02:01 PM
    Iphone5 is advertised for $99 here in Vancouver vs Z10 @ $139

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 03:42 PM
    I agree if anything the price drop is because of the s4 announcement or even rumored 5s. I think z10 is not really on their radar to be price drop concerned
    toujours_frais likes this.
    03-09-13 04:10 PM
    look at this <- seems it is not just Indians who whine about the price.

And lol @ some trying to portray themselves as "rich" and saying only the rich can afford something like 40k and calling others cheapsters. Maybe some spent their money saved for a Tata Nano and a Nokia Asha so that they can afford a Z10.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    03-09-13 10:27 PM

And lol @ some trying to portray themselves as "rich" and saying only the rich can afford something like 40k and calling others cheapsters. Maybe some spent their money saved for a Tata Nano and a Nokia Asha so that they can afford a Z10.
    Of course, everyone has a right to whine about the price. But to say that it can't demand the price because it's a BlackBerry......because it doesn't match up to the competition.....to say that the company is 'doomed' and heading for disaster, to pronounce it DOA without the slightest clue about the market sentiment, .....that my friend, is stupidity, be it India or the US.

And I don't blame those that tend to compare the BlackBerry to a Hero Honda.... they probably live in the parts of India where a Hero Honda or a Bullet is still a much more prevalent means of communication than a cell phone!
    sid_c likes this.
    03-10-13 01:04 AM
    this means absolutely diddly squat and speaks nothing about the Z10...

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    03-10-13 01:22 AM
    I always knew the BlackBerry Z10 would sell out in India. It's just a very huge market. There's a place for everything and anything.

I agree with most comments on the fact that the iPhone price drop is mainly targeted to hit the BlackBerry Z10 since reports on the Web show more consumers switching From their iphones and androids to the Z10.

Apple distributors must be worried about stock piling in their warehouses and are trying to reel in customers who are interested in the iPhone but haven't purchased yet.

Price drops really pushes a potential customer into impulse buying.

The Iphone 5s is expected to release in September so doesn't look like any new model is due anytime soon.

Posted via CB10
    Dapper37 likes this.
    03-10-13 01:53 AM
    Their is tons of info floating around about a possible phone5S launch at the end of the summer, which fits with Apples previous launch raodmaps. Also, their is also a ton of information out regarding Apple launching a midlevel/cheaper iphone variant as well around this time. Nothing official, but Apple rarely comments early on these types of things. The S4 comes out this week, Apple has no choice but to counter that with a new iphone, they very well can't wait another year to launch a new phone when their biggest competitor has a brandnew flagship on the market.
    yeah...from reading other threads on this same topic, that sounds about right and makes alot of sense if there's a new apple product coming out soon. Clearing room off the shelves for the news release! Another note is that it's the carrier's who determine the pricing...
    03-10-13 03:11 AM
    I agree if anything the price drop is because of the s4 announcement or even rumored 5s. I think z10 is not really on their radar to be price drop concerned
    Naaaah, it must be the z10 kicking their asses
    03-10-13 03:17 AM
    Of course, everyone has a right to whine about the price. But to say that it can't demand the price because it's a BlackBerry......because it doesn't match up to the competition.....to say that the company is 'doomed' and heading for disaster, to pronounce it DOA without the slightest clue about the market sentiment, .....that my friend, is stupidity, be it India or the US.
    That's true. Moreso, people are comparing the z10 to storm and curve touch. They won't even try the device before rating it. Its when they get a hands on that they realize how flawed their perceptions were.

I honestly don't see anyone complaining over the high prices of HTC butterfly or the iP5. It is a quality device that commands that price. It is a brand new OS, 2 years of hardwork, by a company that makes only mobile devices (they have no revenue stream from music players, or laptops), so while the hardware can be worth just a fraction, do those people think that research and development (oh! I love the peek and flow and hub), came for free?

More than half the people who were complaining on twitter or other forums were people who would never buy a z10, probably because they believe (without using) that its stupid. Or they're iSheep :P
    BlackistheBerry and Dapper37 like this.
    03-10-13 03:32 AM

You don't have to be super-rich to afford a Z10!
    Is it Blackberry's fault if someone doesn't make enough money to afford a Z10? It's their flagship device. They have all the right in the world to price it at whatever level they want. If you can afford it, good. ..If you can't, go buy a Nokia Asha.

Blackberry India MD - Mr. Sunil Dutt (the mastermind behind BB India's success) has made it abundantly clear in this article that they are not interested in cheap price points.. So cheapsters, the Z10 is an "aspirational" device, It's not for you.. Go rant somewhere else.

m.timesofindia.com/tech/enterprise-it/strategy/BlackBerry-India-MD-Sunil-Dutt-We-dont-want-to-be-in-Rs-5000--Rs-7000-market/articleshow/18687648.cms
    03-10-13 11:32 AM
    Blackberry needs to break even and make money too you know, cant just sell the Z10 at a loss each time
    03-10-13 12:13 PM
    It could also be that Apple is just dumping surplus stock since the iPhone 5 isn't selling as well as expected. Same thing happened, on a more extensive level, with the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 04:28 PM
39 12