I've come to the conclusion I only have so much hassle and grief to dedicate to one activity.

I guess I've come to the conclusion that having owned virtually every phone OS on the market, the Z10 is the single best communication device, but as long we are going to have to try and get folks to "sideload" apps in order to run many popular apps, this device will never be a serious threat to the two leading mobile platforms.

As a communication device, I believe the Z10 is numero uno. Great keyboard, consolidated inbox (hub)- slick navigation. As a mobile app platform, I just don't think it is there yet. It's kind of like the Jeff Foxworthy, "You might be a redneck if.." bit- "You might be a redneck if you own a home-made fur coat, and you might not be a great mobile app platform if any part of the instructions involve, 'Go to your terminal screen...'"

After a flirtation with WIndows 8 Phone, I just bought another HTC One to run side by side with my Z10. That way I can stop hitting my head against the wall trying to get Audible to run on my Z10 and I can enjoy it for what it is (great communication device) instead of being frustrated by what it is not- at least not yet- which is a great platform for mobile apps (at least the mobile apps that I would like to run...).

YMMV.
    07-28-13 09:52 AM
    A lot depends on one's definition of "communication."
    07-28-13 09:57 AM
    A lot depends on one's definition of "communication."
    For me, not being able to feed my Audible addiction (LOVE it)- shouldn't diminish the fact that the Z10 is (at least for me) the most dependable way to handle incoming email, texts, and phone calls/voice mail. I guess that is what I was trying to say...
    07-28-13 10:04 AM
    Audible is also something I really miss and I don't want to go through this procedure mentioned in another thread. I tried it and got stuck somewhere. What I also miss is controlling my Android stick with my phone. I already tried to convert the apk but it didn't work.

What I do now is using my Galaxy S3 on weekends and my BlackBerry during the week.

The HTC One is a nice phone and IMHO better than the S4 but I want something like this Ubuntu Edge phone. For the time being I stick to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 10:47 AM
    I am using Audible on my Z10, via the debug-sideload method. It works fine, but of course it's not a satisfactory solution in the real world. It took more fiddling than I care to think about to get it going. Audible is, of course, the leading audiobook seller, and its absence from BB World is conspicuous.

But this is just another example of what we have discussed in thread after thread: the chicken-egg nature of the app gap. Amazon has the resources to deliver a proper Android port to BB World immediately. The fact that the app runs well sideloaded, without any modifications proves this. They did it for the Kindle app, even though that app hasn't to my knowledge, been updated since it appeared in BB World. This shows that they just can't be bothered to make whatever minimal effort would be needed to deliver the Audible app. It makes me wonder how BlackBerry managed to get the Kindle app on board in the first place.

And yet, the Android port of Kindle is still better than the native WP8 Kindle app, which lacks features such as highlighting and annotation (so I'm told).

This is significant because Kindle and Audible make money by giving consumers a reason to buy content. Amazon therefore has a reason to have these apps on as many devices as possible. The only possible reason for not making Audible available on BB10 is that they think that even the small expense involved in building a proper Android port, and the downstream expense of supporting it, won't be covered by expected revenues. That's pretty discouraging, because the same point can be made a thousand times over for other missing apps.

When I got Audible running on my Z10, the first thing I did was mail a screenshot to Audible, with an email stating, "Look, it works right now! All you have to do is package it for BB World."

For some reason, that had no effect. Can you imagine?
    SRVwannab likes this.
    07-28-13 12:11 PM
    I am using Audible on my Z10, via the debug-sideload method. It works fine, but of course it's not a satisfactory solution in the real world. It took more fiddling than I care to think about to get it going. Audible is, of course, the leading audiobook seller, and its absence from BB World is conspicuous.

But this is just another example of what we have discussed in thread after thread: the chicken-egg nature of the app gap. Amazon has the resources to deliver a proper Android port to BB World immediately. The fact that the app runs well sideloaded, without any modifications proves this. They did it for the Kindle app, even though that app hasn't to my knowledge, been updated since it appeared in BB World. This shows that they just can't be bothered to make whatever minimal effort would be needed to deliver the Audible app. It makes me wonder how BlackBerry managed to get the Kindle app on board in the first place.

And yet, the Android port of Kindle is still better than the native WP8 Kindle app, which lacks features such as highlighting and annotation (so I'm told).

This is significant because Kindle and Audible make money by giving consumers a reason to buy content. Amazon therefore has a reason to have these apps on as many devices as possible. The only possible reason for not making Audible available on BB10 is that they think that even the small expense involved in building a proper Android port, and the downstream expense of supporting it, won't be covered by expected revenues. That's pretty discouraging, because the same point can be made a thousand times over for other missing apps.

When I got Audible running on my Z10, the first thing I did was mail a screenshot to Audible, with an email stating, "Look, it works right now! All you have to do is package it for BB World."

For some reason, that had no effect. Can you imagine?
    What a well thought out post.

As part of what I mentioned above I just left WP8. The audible app was the worst. The software didn't keep track of where you were, and, half the time when you'd connect to a new Bluetooth device the audible software would freeze and the book would eventually start at the beginning again. Ugh.
    07-28-13 12:22 PM
    My wife likes audible so I just got her an iPod nano. She uses the q10 for every thing else, including Kindle, which I sideloaded

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 01:47 PM