I get the calls and the texts. On a galaxy s3. Bare in mind that if someone on your contact list downloads an app that has access to their contact list and also has control over the phones functions the app can spam their contacts with texts from that app. Shortly after someone I know downloaded an app that did this I received some nice spam texts with links to the site, promising that the chick added pics or some such thing. Too many permissions are being required to run apps, no app or program should be able to bulk spam your contact list.
    RazzBerry likes this.
    05-06-13 10:52 PM
    I think it must be a bad app permission thing. Maybe I'll shut the, off one by one and see if it stops. Never had this issue before and seems not to be carrier related.

I get the calls and the texts. On a galaxy s3. Bare in mind that if someone on your contact list downloads an app that has access to their contact list and also has control over the phones functions the app can spam their contacts with texts from that app. Shortly after someone I know downloaded an app that did this I received some nice spam texts with links to the site, promising that the chick added pics or some such thing. Too many permissions are being required to run apps, no app or program should be able to bulk spam your contact list.
    05-06-13 10:56 PM
    I haven't gotten any at all.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 11:00 PM
    Doubt that will stop incoming. I got a spam text from an app someone on my contact list downloaded. I don't have that app, nor will I ever. The calls are across all makes and types of phones, know several people with plain dumb phones getting those too.
    05-06-13 11:03 PM
    Hold up!

You mean to tell me the z10 makes phone calls too?

Heh.. no change in my spam, always the same calls I always been getting on Rogers. Usually, just Rogers calling to tell me to pay my bill or their stupid automatic customer service survey callbacks lol.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    05-06-13 11:08 PM
    Spam calls, regular calls don't count in this thread.
    05-06-13 11:27 PM
    Bla1ze, would take your carrier calls, rather than the calls coming in for some of us. They usually come with call display of Washington Dc or New York, with a +1 suffix at the front. And they call at all hours.
    05-07-13 12:09 AM
    How annoying ! I haven't had this problem.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 01:11 AM
    I never get any spam texts just the "you've won a free cruise" calls once in awhile on my Z10 but a buddy of mine get's the spam texts and calls all the time on his galaxy and we're both on the Telus network. I wouldn't look towards BB being the culprit as much as I would one of your friends phones getting infected with malware and your info being sent to a botnet this could really happen on any OS but *cough* android *cough* who knows for sure
    05-07-13 01:31 AM
    How annoying ! I haven't had this problem.

Posted via CB10
    There is still hope for you yet!
    05-07-13 01:32 AM
    I hate telemarketer calls, but in my country there is no such thing as the phone leaking out my phone number, at least not yet. They are usually getting my data from bank, credit card providers, and insurance companies, which is very annoying.
    For this reason alone I have bought a $30 Nokia dumbphone that specially handle my number to give out when applying for banking services, insurance, etc.. in which I referred it my "tarnished number".
    My blackberry uses different number that I give out strictly for business use, family, relatives, and close friends. This proven to be effective so far.
    05-07-13 01:41 AM
    I never get any spam texts just the "you've won a free cruise" calls once in awhile on my Z10 but a buddy of mine get's the spam texts and calls all the time on his galaxy and we're both on the Telus network. I wouldn't look towards BB being the culprit as much as I would one of your friends phones getting infected with malware and your info being sent to a botnet this could really happen on any OS but *cough* android *cough* who knows for sure
    This is why an anti virus program was my first download, been using it to block the calls. They just alter the number slightly and call again. Like add a 1 to the original number. Android permissions are all or none, you can't pick what to allow or deny.
    Can you still pick the permissions on the z10, could on my torch but that was a different os. Planning to return to blackberry in the next couple months, like to know we still control what applications can do on the phone.
    05-07-13 01:52 AM
    This is why an anti virus program was my first download, been using it to block the calls. They just alter the number slightly and call again. Like add a 1 to the original number. Android permissions are all or none, you can't pick what to allow or deny.
    Can you still pick the permissions on the z10, could on my torch but that was a different os. Planning to return to blackberry in the next couple months, like to know we still control what applications can do on the phone.
    Ya you can select what permissions you'd like to allow during the installation and then afterwards you can alter them in the settings>security and privacy>application permissions setting if you think something is shady. I've noticed some newer developers have been adding the reasons for the permissions needed for that app in there app description in BB world which is something I think others should follow suit with put's a lot of skeptical downloaders at ease knowing why and what that app is accessing.
    05-07-13 02:06 AM
    I was about to say that I had no idea what you all were talking about then it came to me...

Since I got Z10 there were two mornings where I was BOMBARDED with fax calls. Hang up one, phone rings again a minute later. This went on for ten maybe fifteen minutes. Different number each time, and some were international.

I'm on T-Mobile US by the way. They offered me a free number change but since it stopped (knock on wood) I declined for now.

I also turned location based ads off but I am hesitant to turn off traffic data collection because doesn't that refer to road traffic? Or do they mean just data traffic as in data activity?

I'm curious as to how many of you are getting ALOT of spam texts and sales calls-img_00000092.png

~STV
    05-07-13 02:19 AM
    I was about to say that I had no idea what you all were talking about then it came to me...

Since I got Z10 there were two mornings where I was BOMBARDED with fax calls. Hang up one, phone rings again a minute later. This went on for ten maybe fifteen minutes. Different number each time, and some were international.

I'm on T-Mobile US by the way. They offered me a free number change but since it stopped (knock on wood) I declined for now.

I also turned location based ads off but I am hesitant to turn off traffic data collection because doesn't that refer to road traffic? Or do they mean just data traffic as in data activity?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000092.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	159022

~STV
    Traffic data is used for maps and similar apps and is anonymous and as for the location based ads there is nothing to worry about there either.

Turn on or turn off location-based ads - How To - BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone - 10.0.0
    Last edited by inked18; 05-07-13 at 02:33 AM. Reason: spacing
    05-07-13 02:31 AM
    Most people I know at work get text spam and junk calls. It goes in waves. Variety of phones, various carriers. Even my wife gets the odd text spam on 7-11's prepaid service. Seems to have been a lot better for me lately, though... Maybe Telus installed some spam filtering? Last time I compared carriers, Bell had the gall to be charging a monthly fee for SMS spam filtering.

Got a scam call last week, though, and a new tactic (for me) was used : spoofed local number. So much for only answering unrecognized numbers if they're local.

EDIT: Missed an earlier post on someone getting spam texts with Telus. So much for my theory. Just dumb luck I've been spared recently.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 02:51 AM
    Since getting the Z10, I have had an unusual amount of spam texts and sales calls from people I don't know.
    Still waiting for someone to come up with an App for controlling this.
    Yes, I know about parental controls but it doesn't suit my needs fully.
    I was curious how many others are having this problem of an unusual amount of spam text and sales calls since getting the Z10.
    If you are, would you be so kind as to list your carrier. I am wondering if numbers were sold to out side vendors by the carriers.
    Thanks!
    I had AT&T turn off my texting completely to stop the spam. Use email instead or BBM or such. This was before I got the 10 but on my 9810.
    05-07-13 03:08 AM
42 12