I just wanted to say something from a Software Engineer perspective. I am working on a personal pet project for just the chat part of Google Voice for BB10. I know that iOS has 3rd party apps.... Don't get too excited I am just doing it to give me an excuse to mess around in C++ and QML. I have no intention of releasing it, or making it visually appealing or really all that functional.

But let me tell you it's very difficult to write a App for Google Voice. There is no published API. You are basically going off of reverse engineering their HTML app, sniffing traffic and looking at JavaScript. It's not going to be easy. Also, unless you want a battery hog, you are going to need someone who set's up their own notification server for their 3rd party app. Otherwise the app developer will need to make sure their app is always running. I am not sure BB10 even allows for automatic apps to start up in the background... Also HUB integration is going to be weak going that route. Anyway, regardless if you setup a notification server that costs monthly fees and bandwidth... You would need to monetize that somehow to make it worth it...

Nothing impossible. But I just wanted to impart my two cents!
    austriker likes this.
    03-13-13 09:08 PM
    Google Voice is being discontinued for BlackBerry. You can use the HTML5 app instead
    This is true for legacy bb7 and earlier devices but it is a fact that Google will no longer write apps for non android devices.
    We can however port in these said Android apps and when future bb10 updates the android runtime to 4.1 jelly bean, our lives will be so much better. Currently bb10 runs gingerbread 2.3.3
    austriker likes this.
    03-13-13 09:20 PM
    Well, I don't think that is true... They have a new native iOS Mapping app, after Apple dropped them.
    03-15-13 07:16 PM
    Also, the key to the Jelly Bean 4.1 upgrade will be how much they improve the performance as well as application support. Many of the reasons apps don't work on the PlayBook and Z10 are not because of Android 2.3.3. Although, I think the UI is a better fit with the Z10 for Jelly Bean...

Things like native stuff... Google services, etc. will still not work on Jelly Bean for the Z10. I would caution being too excited. I don't think it will solve all your problems.

My biggest worry is Android apps are slow garbage on the PlayBook... Maybe on the Z10 it's better. But from what I have seen on the Z10 it's not the case.
    03-15-13 07:19 PM
54 123