If you want to "upgrade" from a z10 to a z30, read this.-img_20140621_001127.jpg

The z10 was my daily driver from March of 2013 until last night. I overpaid for the phone to get it earlier than us launch, to the tune of 700 dollars.

The q10 was a random purchase because I told myself I'd buy the Q when it came out because I'd never own a full touch screen, but wanted to check out bb10.

The z30 was purchased because I saw a good deal on the classifieds, while intoxicated, and decided I had to have it. The buyer seemed sketchy, so off to ebay I went.

The good over the z10:

Larger screen
    Larger battery
    Wifi direct
    5 rows of icons (20 instead of 16)

What's worse than the z10:

Larger screen
    Top and bottom don't match
    Lack of Wifi calling for t-mobile customers
    Extra 200 mhz processor isn't notably different or faster
    Display isn't as vibrant as the Z when side by side, but if I wasn't looking closely for a difference, i'd never notice it.
    Black levels have an almost reddish hue to them.
    Battery isn't swappable, thus making it impossible to use a battery bundle.

You will notice I Included the screen size on both the goods and bad.

This is because while there's a nice advantage to the larger screen, I find my thumb getting sore as I reach for qweasdzx, which is very close to the side of the z10.

In all, the 30 is a cool device, but I'm not sure it's worth the 450 dollar leap over the z10. I wouldn't consider it an upgrade as much as a "sidegrade". If you have a z10, and are happy with it, my suggestion is to hang onto it and don't rush into the purchase.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 08:41 AM
    I love my Z30. Now, where's my Z50 ?

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    06-21-14 08:43 AM
    My next purchase/upgrade isn't gonna be a blackberry. Tho I do enjoy the Z10, I just prefer my windows phones.

Posted via CB10
    vrabac likes this.
    06-21-14 08:45 AM
    I love my Z30. Now, where's my Z50 ?

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    It's not that I don't like it, because I really do, I just wish I hadn't had the Z10 before it, because it's honestly not much of a jump.
    06-21-14 09:07 AM
    I have the Q10 and Z10. Did check the Z30 out in person for long periods. Decided the Z10 suits my on the go needs. Selling the Q10. Z10 is the perfect size, gorgeous display and pretty fast for me. No complaints. I use NFC to pair it with my car stereo and DLNA with our Marantz speakers. So speaker is not an issue. Had this phone since launch and it has not shown its age.

My Z10 - an extension of me
    06-21-14 10:15 AM
    Upgraded from the Z10 to the Z30 when it came out. Definitely worth the upgrade in my opinion.

Posted via CB10 from the AWESOME Z30; because I know!
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    06-21-14 11:18 AM
    I upgraded from Z10 to Z30 and I absolutely would recommend the switch. The Z30 is just a smoother, more feature rich experience as compared to my beloved Z10. I can still use the Z30 single-handedly, the screen is gorgeous, the speakers are much better, but my favorite improvement is the speed and fluidity that the Z30's internals produce.

Right now, the Z10 is going for about $200 and the Z30 is going for about $350. They are both great phones, but if you can afford it, I'd recommend the Z30.

Posted via Z-30 STA 100-5 running 10.3.0.296/.442 hybrid on T-Mobile USA
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    06-21-14 11:35 AM
    I own a Z10 and will likely pick up an extra one while they're still around. Unless t-mo and BB kiss and make up. wifi-calling is 100% necessary where I live: no reception otherwise. And incredibly useful when I travel. Plus I find the size really perfect.
    06-21-14 11:53 AM
    I upgraded from Z10 to Z30 and I absolutely would recommend the switch. The Z30 is just a smoother, more feature rich experience as compared to my beloved Z10. I can still use the Z30 single-handedly, the screen is gorgeous, the speakers are much better, but my favorite improvement is the speed and fluidity that the Z30's internals produce.

Right now, the Z10 is going for about $200 and the Z30 is going for about $350. They are both great phones, but if you can afford it, I'd recommend the Z30.

Posted via Z-30 STA 100-5 running 10.3.0.296/.442 hybrid on T-Mobile USA
    Smoother in what regard?

Other than Wifi direct and miracast, what are the feathers the z10 doesn't have?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 12:44 PM
    I own a Z10 and will likely pick up an extra one while they're still around. Unless t-mo and BB kiss and make up. wifi-calling is 100% necessary where I live: no reception otherwise. And incredibly useful when I travel. Plus I find the size really perfect.
    Same here, I'm gonna get another Z10, my first one is in excellent condition, not a scratch on it even though it's over a year old, runs super fast, got about 10 android apps on it, all working fine. Just don't want a larger phone. It's perfect as it is (for me)

Posted via CB10
    nightridah likes this.
    06-21-14 01:05 PM
    It's not that I don't like it, because I really do, I just wish I hadn't had the Z10 before it, because it's honestly not much of a jump.
    I agree completely - in fact I find I'm using my Z10 more as my daily driver than my Z30. I find the Z30's screen is way too dim outdoors on a sunny day and the size of the phone makes it less pocketable. Since I don't use some of the features of the Z30 such as FM radio, wifi calling and miracast and the performance increase of the 30 is marginal, I find the Z10 works just fine for my use, plus I carry the battery bundle with me if I should need to swap batteries during the day which is extremely rare.
    06-21-14 01:19 PM
    Having purchased three Z10's, a Q10, and a Z30, my experience is quite different than the OP.

I'm using Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175 on AT&T, which means no LTE, yet this device is as fast or faster than and gets better reception than any of the other phones. I've experienced far fewer glitches, hangs, lagging, or weirdness that forces me to have to reboot my other phones.

One of my concerns, going to the Z30 was that I couldn't remove the battery to force a reboot in a worst case scenario - something I've had to do with the other phones (seldom with the Q, but a few times with the Z10's.) I've been pleasantly surprised that this hasn't been an issue at all. This phone just keeps rocking, regardless of what I throw at it.

I'm a two handed typer, so the bigger screen isn't an issue, in a negative sense. Also, I'm one of the weirdos that use the phone as much as possible, and only fire up the laptop if necessary. This phone does so much that I'm able to get away with it because of the larger screen real estate. In fact, I frequently use my phone to remote in to any one of my several computers, when I'm out and about. I also did this with the other phones, but it was much more painful due to the smaller screens.

The screen resolution hasn't been an issue for me. It is high enough that watching a video is fine on a screen this small. I'm not really going to complain about low resolution on a phone, since I'm using it to get things done, as opposed to looking at art grade photography.

The brightness hasn't been an issue, either. The Z10 can't use the screen at a high setting, or your battery dies. The Z30 can run all day on full brightness, but I find that I can see it fine on the lowest setting. I only crank it up when viewing a video, or if I am going to be in the direct sunlight for a while.

So, for me, the Z30 isn't that much superior to several other phones - not just BlackBerry devices - on specs alone. It is superior on performance, in the day to day getting things done.

And that is why I say the Z30 is worth the price. It is literally the best phone I've ever owned. And yes, I've owned/do own most of the more popular models.

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn and syah iejam like this.
    06-21-14 02:23 PM
    Smoother in what regard?

Other than Wifi direct and miracast, what are the feathers the z10 doesn't have?

Posted via CB10
    usb to go is part of the z30, I believe
    06-21-14 07:40 PM
    You can still plug in a battery bundle into the Z30... although I very rarely have to. With my Z10, I would have to swap halfway through the day.

I bought two very-good condition used Z30s for $300-350, and there are no regrets. I use a holster (and so should anyone that cares about the soft tissue organs around their midsection) for all my devices so the larger size doesn't bother me in that respect. I don't have huge hands (foe a guy), and still find it's easily manageable and a joy to type on.

As for the screen,.. that was my biggest fear when I pulled the trigger, but quickly became irrelevant when weighed against the much larger display area.

If you can get it for ~$350 (or less)... I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 07:51 PM
    Okay, now that this has been in my hands for a few weeks, I thought I'd follow up:

I'm now totally used to the increase in screen size.

The battery life makes this thing worth a billion dollars.

The amoled screen isn't any better or worse than the z10. I've adapted for sure.

The 200 mhz processor difference is still very negligible, but it's not relevant, I didn't buy the phone for the cpu. However, the Adreno GPU makes the device operate considerably better than the z10 in graphically taxing games. The 3dmark score is also on pace with that of the more expensive and powerful android phones.

I picked him the z10 the other day, and used my brother's and girlfriends, and I need to just say: the z10 is almost intolerable after using the z30.

If it's in your budget, I urge you to upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    FF22, CerveloJohn and Gatmyer like this.
    07-06-14 02:07 PM
    Next purchase will be latest nexus device but still love my z10 a lot

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 04:07 PM
    At this point i'd wait a couple more months and see if a successor to the z10/z30 comes along. If it doesn't, then go ahead and get a z30. It'll be more cheaper by then too.
    07-06-14 05:01 PM
    Good stuff. I think I'll stick it out with the Z10 and get a Z30 later on when it can be found used and cheap. I'll do it like I did the Z10.

Z10 beat up and heavily used = $60

Spare Battery = $20

New screen and body = $50

Leather case, 16GB SD and screen protector = $60

New Z10 for under $200 = Awesome!

Let's see if I can pull off the same by fall.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 05:11 PM
    Z30 on Amazon.com $400 unlocked: if you're choosing between the two and have average or larger hands, the Z30 is a delight... but the Z10 is a great device in its own right, but do get a second battery for those "heavy days".

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 06:21 PM
    Okay, now that this has been in my hands for a few weeks, I thought I'd follow up:

I'm now totally used to the increase in screen size.

The battery life makes this thing worth a billion dollars.

The amoled screen isn't any better or worse than the z10. I've adapted for sure.

The 200 mhz processor difference is still very negligible, but it's not relevant, I didn't buy the phone for the cpu. However, the Adreno GPU makes the device operate considerably better than the z10 in graphically taxing games. The 3dmark score is also on pace with that of the more expensive and powerful android phones.

I picked him the z10 the other day, and used my brother's and girlfriends, and I need to just say: the z10 is almost intolerable after using the z30.

If it's in your budget, I urge you to upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    Does that mean you are done with your Z10?
    07-06-14 07:49 PM
    I'm considering to get three Z30 for family.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 07:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Good luck!

White z10 user.
    07-06-14 08:01 PM
    I upgraded from Z10 to Z30 and I love it! Have from day 1!

Posted via CB10 from the AWESOME Z30; because I know!
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    07-06-14 08:26 PM
    Can I be included in your framily to get a Z30?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 09:02 PM
    I've been "eyeing" a Z30 myself. Thanks for posting this

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 09:05 PM
33 12