Keeping in mind I would do this using a Telus SIM, and also noting that there was a small update to Canada's initial 10.2 release version, will I be likely to:

1. Have to re-enter account credentials and/or have to redo accounts?

2. Have contact and/or contact link breakages or data loss?

3. Lose settings related to new options that were added...e.g. losing notification preferences just because a new field was added therein for actionable alerts?

4. Be faced with OS corruption and freezing on boot after update?

5. Experience any other considerable, noteworthy difficulties or quirks other than slowness on first boot aka "settle in"?

And if the answer is yes to any of the above, will Link be able to restore the data from a 10.1 MR backup file, because I'm in no mood nor haven't the time to redo contact Links or account settings.

Any input would be immensely appreciated.

Initial upgrade from Tmo 10.0 to Rogers 10.1 went well, as did the re-update when I switched to T-Mobile's 10.1 release. But the update from Tmo's initial 10.1 to their 10.1 MR went quite poorly (go figure). Corruption and having to reload fresh from Link was very uncool.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    12-06-13 01:54 PM
    Keeping in mind I would do this using a Telus SIM, and also noting that there was a small update to Canada's initial 10.2 release version, will I be likely to:

1. Have to re-enter account credentials and/or have to redo accounts?

2. Have contact and/or contact link breakages or data loss?

3. Lose settings related to new options that were added...e.g. losing notification preferences just because a new field was added therein for actionable alerts?

And if the answer is yes to any of the above, will Link be able to restore the data from a 10.1 MR backup file, because I'm in no mood nor haven't the time to redo contact Links or account settings.

Any input would be immensely appreciated.

Doing an OTA update does not require a restore - it should install over your existing OS and keep all info and databases in tact.

That said some have had issues, and were later forced to do a wipe and reload. Then the issue of doing a restore can also be an issue.

It's like Russian Roulette - some have no problems, then every now and then someone gets blown away and has to spend half a day fixing the issue.
    12-06-13 02:06 PM
    Doing an OTA update does not require a restore - it should install over your existing OS and keep all info and databases in tact.
    Thank you. I knew that part, but a take-away for me from what you said was the Russian roulette thing...that was a clever way to put it.

Let me ask, though: those that have had problems, which #s on the list above did those issues fall under, if you are aware? Oh, and were there any universal, minor issues?

12-06-13 02:47 PM
    Can anyone else please weigh in on this?

Thanks.

12-07-13 05:59 AM
    Can anyone else please weigh in on this?

Thanks.

I've done a lot of OTA updates. You might have to enter the password of one of your email accounts again but other than the small chance of that happening everything should stay totally intact given that the OS downloads properly.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 07:32 AM
    Hey.. so I have been doing update OTA for some time.( three of them to be precise)..
    So once the fone reboots..
    1)The data WILL be there..no worries there
    2)U may/may not be prompted for entering your credentials for your linked accounts( not much of a prob)
    3)And u will be encountering new settings and would have to set them as u discover them.. the old settings should remain intact (and WILL remain intact if the update is from 10.1 to 10.2..

I have Z10STL100-2/10.2.0.1791 and when I updated from 10.1.. I wasn't prompted for anything..
    Hope this helps
    Good luck

Hit via the sexiest fone there is. Did sumone say Z10?
    12-07-13 08:05 AM
    If you stick to OTA updates, there's very little to be concerned about if anything.
    I've done both OTA and Leaks on my Telus Z10. With leaks I think I had to redo my email passwords and that was about it. Oh, and contacts.. depending on how many syncs you have (BBlink to desktop, an email address, sim card, etc.) you could end up with issues.

My advice... stick to OTA.
    12-07-13 08:41 AM
    Thanks all for input - very much appreciated! Danke sehr!

I did it. Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803

RUNNING RECORD OF ISSUES ENCOUNTERED:

* Email signatures gone, had to set again. (Classification: Minor)

* Skype contacts are entered into Contacts, despite the corresponding setting being off in the Skype app. Best course of action to fix is unknown. Whether these contacts are being Gmail-synced is unknown. Would be a non-issue if they linked to existing same-name contacts. (Classification: Moderate)
    UPDATE: Issue is worse...Skype app keeps repushing contacts to my address book. I had to link them all, delete duplicates, turn Skype contact sync on then off, then reboot. Hopefully they don't repop again.

To be updated for everyone's FYI as I go. So far so good actually. Really impressed.

Last edited by STV0726; 12-07-13 at 11:13 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-07-13 09:44 AM