Hi

If I install a leak is it still safe to use Internet for banking.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 08:58 AM
    I don't see why not.
    09-14-13 08:59 AM
    4 months of leaks and internet banking, still no shady transactions.
    09-14-13 09:04 AM
    Agreed. Non of the leaks I've used have resulted in poor phone security. That also goes for side loaded banking apps... no issues

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 09:52 AM
    The berry leaks team seems to only release almost fully functional o/s,s I hadn't had any security problems

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 10:00 AM
    All leaks come with the Certified NSA Seal of Approval
    09-14-13 10:13 AM
    That is up to you to decide

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 10:19 AM
    You cannot load an OS file that is not signed with BlackBerry's signing keys. This includes any component of the operating system.

While an application could be buggered (it is entirely possible to decompile an Android app, change it, repack and then re-sign it with a different key -- including a self-generated key) and if converted that app would also be buggered this is no different than the risk of sideloading anything you didn't personally convert -- and the way BB10 compartmentalizes things the risk is limited to your Android ports.

As an example I have one app that I use regularly and its name is too long (> 50 characters) and thus will not convert. When it updates I load it on my Android tablet, grab the APK, decompile it and change the manifest to fix the name length and then re-package and re-sign it -- then convert it. Were I malicious I could change the code in that APK in the interim and you'd be none the wiser. Since I only do this for my personal use it's a non-issue but this illustrates the issue -- if you can rip apart an application and then re-build it, re-signing it with a key you generate, this can happen.

But for the BB10 OS files this is not an issue because the only files the boot loader will accept are those that have been signed with BlackBerry's signing key. If you try to re-sign them with your key (I have) the loader will refuse to accept the file. This is a very good thing from a security standpoint.

At an OS level unless the signing key system (cryptography) used by the bootloader is compromised it's not a problem. I have always been VERY wary of any unofficial Android load since there is no signing key required to load CORE pieces of the OS on those phones. I preferred to compile it MYSELF rather than trust someone else's load for this reason.

I have no concerns of this sort with BB10 devices.
    DetlevCM likes this.
    09-14-13 01:34 PM
    ahh the misconceptions of leaks lol
    09-14-13 03:52 PM