I purchased a Z10, then an a carrier unlock code. I have done this successfully once before with another Z10. This time the code I purchased for this phone did not work. The seller of the code requires a video of the unlock procedure to verify the code doesn't work, but that would consume a precious "unlock attempt"(I have five left).

My question is: How does one determine the carrier of a cell phone without a sim or phone number? Is it "in" the phone hardware somewhere?

I was told this phone was AT&T.
    The AT&T logo is shown during boot-up.
    There are also a few AT&T icons on the phone-"my AT&T, AT&T Family Map and AT&T Device Help".
    It seems like an AT&T phone.
    Do any other carriers use AT&T phones?
    I ask this because perhaps this phone is locked to a different carrier, and that is why I'm getting a bad unlock code. I have purchased another unlock code from a different source and it was the same as the first.

I purchased another locked Z10 a few months ago. It was described as an AT&T phone. It had an AT&T logo on the battery cover, but I never watched it boot-up. My records show I purchased an AT&T unlock code, and it worked. I have since noticed the phone shows T-Mobile during boot-up, and has both AT&T and T-Mobile icons in the menu. Did the sim affect the phone? I'm on Simplemobile and it is my understanding they use T-mobile's system.

Recap-
    Purchased Z10 and unlock code.
    Unlock code doesn't work.
    Purchased unlock code again(from different source), was same code.
    Have five unlock attempts remaining.
    Who is the phone's carrier? 611 doesn't work without a sim card.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Jeff
    12-15-15 07:04 AM
    Well... if it's locked and got at&t "stuff" all over it... however if you want to be a billion % sure, look at the label under the battery and the label should say the model is RFF91LW.
    The AT&T logo is shown during boot-up.
    It sounds like AT&T was the original carrier. That's the same thing my AT&T -3 version use to boot to. It also displays the AT&T logo upon shutdown.
    12-15-15 07:39 AM
    Well... if it's locked and got at&t "stuff" all over it... however if you want to be a billion % sure, look at the label under the battery and the label should say the model is RFF91LW.
    12-15-15 09:51 AM