Hi

I just won a z10 in a facebook competition, I can't believe it, never won anything before. Am very excited!!!

However, it has just arrived and is charging nicely. I switched it on to have a nosey, the insert SIM page came up, swipe left it says. So I did. I have a feeling I shouldn't have done that lol as I cannot get it back to the insert SIM page. How do I do this? It is stuck on the set up WIFI page. Can I battery pull the same as the old devices? Heck, how do i even get the back off? lol

Also am I right in thinking this phone needs a micro SIM card?
    If I don't like the phone, would the micro SIM go back in my 9900?
    Anything I need to do to transfer my stuff over from 9900? would i get all my texts and stuff as i have BB protect on there?

As you can tell, I haven't a clue with this new phone, so i'll have quite a few questions.
    Thought in here be best place to ask. Thank you if you read this far lol
    01-03-14 08:45 AM
    Hii. Congrats for your z10. Check out this link:http://m.crackberry.com/first-ten-th...blackberry-Z10

Posted via CB10
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-03-14 08:49 AM
    Good choice in using the forums. Hope you backed up the 9900. hold down power button 3 seconds, it will power off. Pull back cover off, look for opening at bottom by speaker. insert finger nail and pull. it comes off easy. Insert micro sim card, turn on, follow instructions. very easy. Blackberry protect should help you restore once signed in. Good luck, enjoy the nice win.
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-03-14 08:55 AM
    Hi and welcome to CB forums.

The phone doesn't need an inserted SIM card to work, so you can just do it later. As far as I know, a battery pull is no good way to restart you bb10 phone. Anyways, you get the back cover off, when you carefully put one finger nail into the speaker hole on the downside of the phone. Just pull a little bit until the cover snaps off on the downside. Keep your fingernail is the slit between the back cover and the frame and move it arond the phone, until the cover is off. To get it back on, just press it on and be sure, that it snapped in all around your phone.

Regarding all your other questions: there have been a lot of tutorials and forum threads in the last year. Just use the search function for any of your questions and I'm sure you'll find help.

Greetings and a lot of fun with your new Z10

Phil
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-03-14 09:00 AM
    Good choice in using the forums. Hope you backed up the 9900. hold down power button 3 seconds, it will power off. Pull back cover off, look for opening at bottom by speaker. insert finger nail and pull. it comes off easy. Insert micro sim card, turn on, follow instructions. very easy. Blackberry protect should help you restore once signed in. Good luck, enjoy the nice win.
    So by back up, do you mean BlackBerry Protect? If not, what do i need to do?
    As you can tell I'm not very techy lol. Also think I need to see my phone provider about a micro sim as mine is just a normal SIM.

Is there any way i can get the z10 back to the insert SIM screen? seems stuck on set up WIFI screen? does wifi even need to be set up? can't say I've ever used it on my 9900.
    01-03-14 09:02 AM
    So by back up, do you mean BlackBerry Protect? If not, what do i need to do?
    As you can tell I'm not very techy lol. Also think I need to see my phone provider about a micro sim as mine is just a normal SIM.

Is there any way i can get the z10 back to the insert SIM screen? seems stuck on set up WIFI screen? does wifi even need to be set up? can't say I've ever used it on my 9900.
    Go to provider and have them help. Power off the phone! You will need micro sim. Good Luck!
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-03-14 09:03 AM
    Hi and welcome to CB forums.

The phone doesn't need an inserted SIM card to work, so you can just do it later. As far as I know, a battery pull is no good way to restart you bb10 phone. Anyways, you get the back cover off, when you carefully put one finger nail into the speaker hole on the downside of the phone. Just pull a little bit until the cover snaps off on the downside. Keep your fingernail is the slit between the back cover and the frame and move it arond the phone, until the cover is off. To get it back on, just press it on and be sure, that it snapped in all around your phone.

Regarding all your other questions: there have been a lot of tutorials and forum threads in the last year. Just use the search function for any of your questions and I'm sure you'll find help.

Greetings and a lot of fun with your new Z10

Phil
    Ah so I don't need to insert the SIM to have a play about with it? This is good as I need to see my phone provider for a micro SIM for it anyway. So how do i get past this WIFI set up page? can't seem to find any sort of back button or gesture or anything. Its very strange compared to 9900! So so different.
    01-03-14 09:06 AM
    I had the swipe left to skip option for the wi-fi on my z10 setup.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10.
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-03-14 09:23 AM
    I had the swipe left to skip option for the wi-fi on my z10 setup.

ah right, this is what I was thinking, yet the option doesn't seem to be there? I was wondering does the WIFI actually need to be set up at all times for anything?
    01-03-14 09:27 AM
    I would say WiFi doesn't need to be set up right from the start. You can do it later via the settings menu (swipe down from top bezel). On the other hand: to play a little bit around with you Z10 it would be nice to have some kind of internet connection. I can recommend the demo video on the blackberry homepage (BlackBerry Z10 Support - How To Demo BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone Help 101)
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-03-14 09:36 AM
    It's a great phone,don't give up ,sometimes you have to swipe down from the top and all kinds of solutions and options appear.many hidden treasures.lol
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-03-14 09:42 AM
    Thank you.

The option to skip wifi set up isn't there? where along the bottom, it doesn't say swipe left to skip. Hmmmmm.

If I swipe down from the top of the wifi page, its just emergency call option nothing else.

Argh lol
    01-03-14 09:45 AM
    Thank you.

The option to skip wifi set up isn't there? where along the bottom, it doesn't say swipe left to skip. Hmmmmm.

If I swipe down from the top of the wifi page, its just emergency call option nothing else.

Argh lol
    You can use the device and play with it without the SIM. You need to connect to wifi though.

Posted via CB10
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-03-14 09:50 AM
    Do you have a sim card inserted and a data plan? Perhaps that is why I could skip. It has to check and download updates.

GlamGemini likes this.
    01-03-14 09:52 AM
    Don't get frustrated and follow the demos and links someone posted earlier. You don't need a sim inserted to play around. It will take a little time to get used to as its a whole new OS but once you play around with it a little I have no doubt that you will love it.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 09:53 AM
    When you don't have a SiM card inserted, you have to set up wifi because the phone has to set up a couple things over a network.

Also, go ahead and search for "blackberry link," that is what you need to use to back up everything from your 9900.

8530 -> 9670 -> palm pre -> palm pixi -> 9850 -> 9930 -> iPhone 4 -> Z10(white) -> HTC One -> S3 -> S4 -> Q10 -> Z10(black)!!!!
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-03-14 09:55 AM
    Thank you.

Argh lol
    You need to be connected to wifi for the first time you set up your device.

Posted via CB10
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-03-14 09:55 AM
    yes you need woorking Internet connection for the initial set up,anything you can ask us here

Posted via CB10
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-03-14 09:56 AM
    Do you have a sim card inserted and a data plan? Perhaps that is why I could skip. It has to check and download updates.

Ahh I see. Yeah I have a SIM but I need a micro SIM for it i think, so I can't even put my SIM in yet.
    On my normal SIM i have a 1gb data plan thingy. Would I need to up it for anything on the z10 or can I keep the same plan, seeing as you don't need wifi for everything?
    01-03-14 10:05 AM
    Same plan can be applied for the Z10.
    It still uses BIS!

I don't remember my own phone coming with instructions either, so I share your pain. Go to your carrier and ask if they could trim your SIM card. If you ever want to go back to your 9900 there are adaptors everywhere online

Posted via CB10
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-03-14 10:12 AM
    Ahh I see. Yeah I have a SIM but I need a micro SIM for it i think, so I can't even put my SIM in yet.
    On my normal SIM i have a 1gb data plan thingy. Would I need to up it for anything on the z10 or can I keep the same plan, seeing as you don't need wifi for everything?
    Wifi doesn't use data. You can keep the same data plan you just need to get the proper sim card to make calls and access data when not on wifi.
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-03-14 10:13 AM
    You need to connect up via WI-FI first as the phone checks to see if there have been any OS updates since your phone was made and if so installs this first before you do any further setting up. Just connect up to your WI-FI and let it do its thing.

Have fun. It's a great phone!

Whoosh! ? Z10 in action! ?
    01-03-14 10:15 AM
    Same plan can be applied for the Z10.
    It still uses BIS!

I don't remember my own phone coming with instructions either, so I share your pain. Go to your carrier and ask if they could trim your SIM card. If you ever want to go back to your 9900 there are adaptors everywhere online

Posted via CB10
    I thought the 9900 takes both micro SIM or the ordinary sized SIM cards?
    01-03-14 10:15 AM
    I thought the 9900 takes both micro SIM or the ordinary sized SIM cards?
    yes you can use micro sim in 9900 with the right placement, no need to use sim adapter

Posted via CB10
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-03-14 10:17 AM
    BlackBerry 10 does not need any specific data plan.you can use any normal plan(once that you use on android or I phone).on the side note if you enabled wifi hot spot from your other mobile then you have no problem setting up your z10.

Posted via CB10
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-03-14 10:17 AM
37 12