So I woke up and as I tried to check the time on my phone I noticed it was dead. No response. So I held down the reboot button and it flashed the red led and gave me a battery icon. So I plugged it in to charge and eventually came back to life.

Now here's the weird part. I make sure I FULLY charge my phone before going to bed. And disconnect so as to not damage the battery by over charging. I usually wake up with it still having full battery. That had never happened. Then I got this in the settings.

I woke up to a dead Z10.-img_00000178.png

There is a weird spike in the system percent usage. Anything like this ever happened to anyone? Should I be worried?

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    ndorazio likes this.
    09-23-13 08:36 AM
    It has happened 2 times to me. Traced back I think to a recent App install. Check those.
    09-23-13 08:46 AM
    You know that there are both hardware and software safeguards on BlackBerry devices that make overcharging impossible right?

A Z10 can usually do around 10 hours. If you sleep the average 8 hours, then if anything was left running in the background or a very actiive frame, it's possible for the device to burn through the juice and be dead by morning.

So, if you don't do the night charge, you may start now. Or get in the habit of turning airplane and bedside modes before going to sleep (you won't get calls, email, anything), but will hardly lose 5% overnight.
    09-23-13 08:48 AM
    General notice: Lithium battery can't be overcharged. Main wear to battery comes from full cycle charge discharge, the more time battery kept charged - the better.
    09-23-13 08:52 AM
    You know that there are both hardware and software safeguards on BlackBerry devices that make overcharging impossible right?

A Z10 can usually do around 10 hours. If you sleep the average 8 hours, then if anything was left running in the background or a very actiive frame, it's possible for the device to burn through the juice and be dead by morning.

So, if you don't do the night charge, you may start now. Or get in the habit of turning airplane and bedside modes before going to sleep (you won't get calls, email, anything), but will hardly lose 5% overnight.
    I may have left Adobe as an active frame. I was reading a book. But I doubt it would burn through a whole battery. My phone would do fine just leaving it as is. Wouldn't drain much. Almost nothing. This is weird.

Also leaving the charger in would help with waking up to a dead phone, I agree. But it would cover up the issue. For example, if at work and I get a sudden battery drain I'll be left phone less if I can't find an outlet. So hopefully someone knows what caused it and I can fix it. Thanks for your help. I did NOT know you couldn't over charge your phone.

diegonei likes this.
    09-23-13 08:55 AM
    It has happened 2 times to me. Traced back I think to a recent App install. Check those.
    What app would that be? I might have it. I did sideload some apps last night. Will try deleting one by one until it doesn't happen. See if I can find out if an app is causing it.

09-23-13 08:56 AM
    Look on the brighter side. At least you woke up.

Posted via CB10
    machfive and Undbiter65 like this.
    09-23-13 09:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    That I did. lol

09-23-13 09:17 AM
    I am sorry, the post title just cracks me up. Sounds like it was a neglected pet hamster. lol.
    09-23-13 10:14 AM
    I am sorry, the post title just cracks me up. Sounds like it was a neglected pet hamster. lol.
    Funny.. I was preparing for a Z10 Zombie horror story...
    09-23-13 11:27 AM
    Funny.. I was preparing for a Z10 Zombie horror story...
    Z10mbie? ;p

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 06:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Dark humour at its finest rofl...
    09-23-13 10:35 PM