OLD SYSTEM: My clients fluctuate communication between email & txt - so I often have to review both to find the info I need. BB got me used to having access to email & txt infinitely stored on the device, I've never needed to make notes about my clients - I can search the device to reference order history & requests for products. As a backup, I store "received email" msgs using outlook on my desktop.

NEW SYSTEM: Z10 syncs phone email with the webmail (which is nice), but erases msgs off the phone as soon as I have webmail upload to outlook. The Z10 won't store infinite email msgs ... the system I've grown to rely on from my torch, curve, 8800. It won't store email in any manner (inbox, "saved" or copied to "remember"). Because I'm new at this, I'm not sure how it will search info beyond the 1 month boundary.

I could work in webmail rather than download to outlook - but its not optimal (I really despise the interface - plus often I only see the email content properly once I view it in Outlook). (Strange, but nobody can figure it out.) Anyhow - I would like one central backup system for my email - especially for "searching" purposes. So if I use webmail from now on, how do I merge the stuff already loaded to outlook? And will Z10 truly be able to search & review msgs stored on webmail?

Zero help from RIM/BB themselves, so I thought I'd poll fellow Z10 users:

Q#1) How do YOU make use of an email system which only goes back 30days? It must work for someone, or BB wouldn't have changed the system this dramatically!

Q#2) using search on Z10 - does it search your msgs older than 30days,
    2b) if yes - is your system set up with webmail (cloud) or computer based system (like Outlook)? Does this use extra data?

Q#3) where best to make notes about clients. easy to search. which I can access from Z10. stored infinitely.

Rumours about BB promising to change their 30 day limit ... but to what, and how soon? And in my discussion with BB - they won't confirm this promise whatsoever. I have only have 2 days remaining to return the Z10. I waited so long for Z10's arrival, I really love the phone but right now I can't justify keeping it.
    03-26-13 09:06 PM
    You could sideload an Android email client like K9 for archiving emails on the phone and use the native email app for current stuff only. That's what I do with my Playbook. The downside is having to deal with two separate apps for the same thing.

The 30 day limit on all types of accounts seems arbitrary when the phone has plenty of storage to handle huge inboxes.
    03-26-13 09:12 PM
    could I load K9 on the torch, archive the emails, then transfer it over to the Z10?

Man, that would be a ton of work, (+3yrs of msgs) but if it's the only way ...
    03-26-13 09:16 PM
    could I load K9 on the torch, archive the emails, then transfer it over to the Z10?

Man, that would be a ton of work, (+3yrs of msgs) but if it's the only way ...
    3 years of emails? Wouldn't something like SharePoint be more efficient?
    03-26-13 09:22 PM
    Wait, wtf?

Are you telling me that, at any given time -- whether tomorrow, or one year from now -- there will only be 30 days of emails stored on the device for any given email account?! That is to say, on April 25, 2015, there will only be emails stored going back to around March 25, 2015???

Please tell me it isn't so or I will have to seriously consider going back to my Torch while otherwise loving the Z10.
    03-26-13 09:24 PM
    You say you are using webmail service. I agree they suck . Soundslike maybe your web host service ? If so Move your webmail over to Network Solutions.

Now when you get an email. Emails will go to your Network Solutions webmail first then also go out to anywhere else where you setup an email account.

So input your email account settings into playbook , BB Phone and Computer Outlook. Now when someone sends an email it goes 4 places! Its solid and it works. Non of the mail is forwarded. Just accounts set in devices.

IT IS BAD to have 3 years of mail on a computer, if the .pst grows too big it can cause serious problems in outlook and etc. Do yourself a favor and do some research about it. I work in IT, seen and heard the bad . Try to keep the .pst small. Archive etc, delete whatever. I suspect 30 days for now is for a good reason and can be for a few diff dynamics.

Only 30 day problem remains for the phone. Hopefully they change that. Hopefully the playbook and computer can serve your archive needs. One last thought is after you do all of this. Open an Outlook.com webmail and sync that with your desktop outlook. Use web outlook email to look up history when out of office. No additional data is being used. Your computer will sync to the web outlook mail. You access on demand when you need to search.

If you need to do this. Dont forget to check the box in outlook email settings to = leave a copy on the server. If you dont all mail will come to computer and webmail folder will be blank.
    Last edited by Motorhead777; 03-26-13 at 09:52 PM.
    2cats1dog likes this.
    03-26-13 09:29 PM
    Wait, wtf?

Are you telling me that, at any given time -- whether tomorrow, or one year from now -- there will only be 30 days of emails stored on the device for any given email account?! That is to say, on April 25, 2015, there will only be emails stored going back to around March 25, 2015???

Please tell me it isn't so or I will have to seriously consider going back to my Torch while otherwise loving the Z10.
    input your email settings somewhere else or forward your emails somewhere other than just phone. They will extend the time later. I dont see why they wouldnt!

If you want kickass email behavior it is available. Call the pros at network solutions or do some research about options. There is a whole better way to manage email now.
    03-26-13 09:32 PM
    I think 30 days of sync means older emails automatically get dropped from the Z10, at least for IMAP and Exchange ActiveSync accounts. It's utterly useless for archiving.

My Playbook email setup is this:

Messages app: Gmail IMAP, Hotmail EAS, Corporate IMAP (all 30 days sync only)

K9: Gmail IMAP, Hotmail POP3, Corporate IMAP (full sync dating back 3 years)

K9 doesn't support EAS so I had to fall back to POP3 for Hotmail. Grabbing a few years' worth of messages over IMAP or POP3 takes a long time so you can enjoy a cup of coffee while waiting Once it's done, you have a complete archive similar to using Thunderbird or Outlook on the PC. I'm assuming you leave all your messages on your IMAP or Exchange server; if they're stored offline only, you can't sync them.
    2cats1dog likes this.
    03-26-13 09:43 PM
    Wait, wtf?

That is my understanding of the Z10 - and confirmed by Blackberry Help aswell. Crazy, huh?? Sorry to burst your Z10 bubble.
    03-26-13 09:51 PM
    That is my understanding of the Z10 - and confirmed by Blackberry Help aswell. Crazy, huh?? Sorry to burst your Z10 bubble.
    They sure have made some odd decisions in cutting or trimming features, such as this. They're kind of taking away the benefits I've always found for my BlackBerry in keeping my life organized. Between this and the lack of a task app, I'm almost thinking going back to my 9810 until some ugprades come out.
    03-26-13 10:06 PM
    It need to be resolved soon. For a business device that is unacceptable. There's no reason for my GN2 to be able to access emails in a server for years ago while my Z10 only goes 30 days back.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 12:13 AM
    I remember reading here on crackberry that this is one of the issues that OS 10.1 addresses.
    elGuapoTorres and Barljo like this.
    03-27-13 12:17 AM
    I remember reading here on crackberry that this is one of the issues that OS 10.1 addresses.
    Not according to BB's blog about the update ... or it didn't make the "Top 5" points to mention about the update. But it never occurred to me they may not bother writing about this issue. So I'm just installing an update on the Z10 as I write, so crossing all fingers and toes!
    03-27-13 08:22 AM
    I don't have a Z10 yet: just trying to do research first.

Are messages that are older than 30 days still searchable/accessible? Sorry to say I'm using an iPhone (but I WANT to come back to BB!) and the iPhone allows me to search (via the "server?") my entire Yahoo inbox (though the search feature leaves a lot to be desired!). So I can still access old emails. Is something like this possible with the Z10/BB10, even if the messages aren't stored on the phone itself?
    03-27-13 08:33 AM

Are messages that are older than 30 days still searchable/accessible? Sorry to say I'm using an iPhone (but I WANT to come back to BB!) and the iPhone allows me to search (via the "server?") my entire Yahoo inbox (though the search feature leaves a lot to be desired!). So I can still access old emails. Is something like this possible with the Z10/BB10, even if the messages aren't stored on the phone itself?
    It does support remote search for EAS.

Hard to tell if it is working... I archive pretty hardcore my work Exchange Account. I don't even want 30 days of e-mail on my Outlook client, I really don't want it on my phone.

PS My Archive is fully indexed and searchable from a Desktop Client... it's not like I delete e-mail... once I get Online Archiving going I can do that from the Web too
    03-27-13 08:43 AM

I have 2 imap gmail accounts. I went to the gmail site on my z10, logged in and saved it to the desktop. I moved the link to the last page but easily accessible. For me, this works well. I'd almost rather take this approach than have years worth of email on my Z. JMHO, tho.
    03-27-13 09:18 AM
    Just do a remote search. It will search your entire inbox

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 10:05 AM
    I have 2 imap gmail accounts. I went to the gmail site on my z10, logged in and saved it to the desktop. I moved the link to the last page but easily accessible. For me, this works well. I'd almost rather take this approach than have years worth of email on my Z. JMHO, tho.
    This is all so new to me! I've been using a BB since 6280 - and it's capability (& reliability) has made me lazy! I've gotten used to having email, contacts & daytimer info with me everywhere ... without needing even a laptop. Although I backup my device's data religiously, but I've never had a crash/hardware failure/lost phone. Until now, I've never had any need rethink this system.

@ EauRouge:
    I use cloud services to stay organized with photos and docs, it never occurred to me to use email this way. Until now, I've barely used internet on my bb, only email, cell & organization apps. And I'm not sure if cloud email would work for me - I frequent locations with poor cell service (country, cottage) ... One bar of service at best. We have to drive to the top of the hill to make calls with cell phones, but it will soon get tedious to go up the hill every time I need to check something for a client.

Hmmm, this isn't going to be as easy as I thought.

ps: I find no mention the recent ios update included removing the 30day email storage limit.
    03-27-13 10:43 AM
    And I'm not sure if cloud email would work for me - I frequent locations with poor cell service (country, cottage) ... One bar of service at best. We have to drive to the top of the hill to make calls with cell phones, but it will soon get tedious to go up the hill every time I need to check something for a client.
    On my Playbook, I just synced 2000+ messages spanning 3 years over IMAP with K9. Now I have a complete, searchable offline copy of my inbox but I left out huge attachments. Took over an hour, mind you, enough for a few cups of coffee
    2cats1dog likes this.
    03-27-13 11:23 AM
    On my Playbook, I just synced 2000+ messages spanning 3 years over IMAP with K9. Now I have a complete, searchable offline copy of my inbox but I left out huge attachments. Took over an hour, mind you, enough for a few cups of coffee
    Sweet! This would be the perfect solution.

May I ask you a few questions about this process? Since I have the msgs on my Torch, can I load K9 to the Torch ... do the archiving, then move it to Z10? I'm not sure otherwise how to move the msgs off the Torch to archive them onto Z10?

eta: only finding info about sideloading to Z10 or Playbook, leading me to believe its not possible for the torch. And even then, the complexity of the instructions seem daunting. I think the smaller mountain is to upload PC Outlook email archive back onto webmail - then K9 on the Z10.
    Last edited by 2cats1dog; 03-27-13 at 12:23 PM.
    03-27-13 12:02 PM
    I think 30 days of sync means older emails automatically get dropped from the Z10, at least for IMAP and Exchange ActiveSync accounts. It's utterly useless for archiving.
    Agreed. I prefer to keep email on the server while deleting it from my BlackBerry smartphone. However, some emails are sufficiently important to keep it the smartphone indefinitely. The forced deletion from the server is contrary to the way email management functioned previously.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    mkelley65 likes this.
    03-27-13 12:07 PM
    Enormous THANKYOU to everyone's advice .... especially Blueberrymerry & Motorhead777. In a few short answers, you were more helpful than the contact I had with Blackberry/RIM tech support.

Not only am I keeping the Z10 ..... but I learned a truckload about email management.

(I couldn't tell you which makes me happier!)
    03-27-13 04:14 PM
    Well I hope they fix it before I buy my Q10 or Z10!

What is very creepy for me is emails flagged in Remember. Get "disappeared" after 30 days.

I do a lot of productivity stuff with my emails - I can't be having them vanish!
    03-27-13 05:26 PM
    eta: only finding info about sideloading to Z10 or Playbook, leading me to believe its not possible for the torch. And even then, the complexity of the instructions seem daunting. I think the smaller mountain is to upload PC Outlook email archive back onto webmail - then K9 on the Z10.
    You can't sideload K9 to the Torch because it runs a different operating system. K9 only runs on the Playbook, BB10 and Android devices.

Some questions if you don't mind:
    1. Are you using IMAP, POP3 or Exchange on the server?
    2. Are your emails still kept on the server or were they deleted and only kept in your PC's Outlook program?

If your emails are on the server (I've got a few years and a few gigabytes on mine) then you can do the K9 sync process. If they're on your PC's Outlook only, then you somehow have to move them back to the server before you can sync.

As to forced deletion from the server, the Z10 email client doesn't do this to any message when syncing. It only removes the copy on your phone which is older than 30 days. As long as you haven't chosen to delete the message, the message is still there on the server.
    03-27-13 08:02 PM
    I believe Michael Clewley mentioned on Twitter that they are going to offer longer sync options in a future update (likely 10.1). Can't remember the exact wording however so I can't confirm whether or not he meant an indefinite sync period.
    elGuapoTorres likes this.
    03-27-13 08:07 PM
94 123 ...