Over night my Z10 drained quite a lot, constantly using around 0.2W - which was curious as it did not do that before.

The major change? I transferred a lot of files to the SD card.
    So encryption was running all the time.

Pausing encryption reduces energy use to normal levels.

So, if anybody is experiencing a roughly 0.2W constant battery drain, check whether your media card is still being encrypted - and if it is, pause the process and check if energy use reduces.

However I have no idea how long this takes as it ran all night and still has not finished.

Posted via CB10
    jrohland likes this.
    04-20-13 06:03 AM
    But even with the encryption enabled it shouldn't use more 'power' unless you're browsing the memory card, no?
    phoenix55 likes this.
    04-20-13 06:23 AM
    But even with the encryption enabled it shouldn't use more 'power' unless you're browsing the memory card, no?
    It is not about browsing the card (which should actually use more power given that encryption required CPU cycles) but rather the fact that encrypting data on a microSD card takes ages.

It is the actual encryption which is still running after more than 17 hours that is the issue...

In fact I will be deleting some files from my SD card to give my Z10 less to encrypt.

Posted via CB10
    rhitdoph likes this.
    04-20-13 06:56 AM
    OK, I deleted some folders and my encryption finished within a few minutes. Next I need to check the battery usage over a little while and see if it is back to normal.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-13 07:16 AM
    Its a valid point, thanks for sharing, other may be having the same issue.
    04-20-13 07:23 AM
    A running app can also start ill behaving and consume lots of battery. Last Thursday, my battery went from 40% to 8% in less than two hours. Battery Guru told me my phone was consuming 1W of power. Noticed that was about at the same time I started the calendar app. Closed it and the power drain went back to normal.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-13 07:55 AM
    Ok, my battery usage on standby is back to normal again (near 0W).

So, a hanging encryption process is most definitely one source of battery drain - in my case around 0.2W.

My solution was to delete some files, obviously if that is not an option, try removing files by moving them to the PC and shuffling them about.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-13 08:08 AM
    A running app can also start ill behaving and consume lots of battery. Last Thursday, my battery went from 40% to 8% in less than two hours. Battery Guru told me my phone was consuming 1W of power. Noticed that was about at the same time I started the calendar app. Closed it and the power drain went back to normal.

Posted via CB10
    Ill behaving applications are another potential cause, however without headless apps they should not be causing problems without any open active frames.
    I would assume that most people with battery problems will habe tried to close running applications.

But yes, as you correctly pointed out, they can drain a lot of power as well.

On the topic of the calendar application:
    Could it have been trying to synchronize anything by any chance?

Posted via CB10
    04-20-13 08:12 AM
    Does the encryption process need a good amount of space on the card to run efficiently? I don't think it can change the files outright, and needs to re-write them with the encryption, maybe it has problems if there's not enough room on the card to write new files.
    04-20-13 02:45 PM
    Does the encryption process need a good amount of space on the card to run efficiently? I don't think it can change the files outright, and needs to re-write them with the encryption, maybe it has problems if there's not enough room on the card to write new files.
    I don't know, but even then it would need not more space than one file needs. (In my case I copied quite a bit of music to my Z10 - despite normally using an MP3 player.)

I really have no idea what caused the "hangup" - especially given the fact that the Z10 finished very quickly when I deleted some music and moved some files to my PC... My SD card was at least 66% empty - possibly yet more empty (I would guess I am using around 10% of it.)

One thing that was different: When I copied the files over I used mass storage mode while fiddling with things back at home I only connected the phone and used the Window Explorer...
    04-20-13 03:00 PM
    I had this exact same issue. I noticed when I dumped an additional 6 or so gb onto my Micro SD card my battery was being consumed within 2 hours of taking it off of charge. I'd click on photos or music and it would say indexing files, they will appear shortly and they never do. Somebody needs to confirm the amount of files, or if there's a certain folder path and structure that is needed to make the phone run normally. Phone is super warm during this time. I've just left the card out for the past few days.
    05-12-13 11:35 PM