Ok, I'm sorry if this sounds like snake oil or voodoo magic, this isn't my intention. I only want better battery life and I know wonky things can sometimes happen with operating systems. Anyway, I need some data and here is where you come in. Most of us use WiFi while at home or the office but we also leave Data Services on even though we technically don't need to. Here is what I want you AT&T users or anyone really to test for me and leave your results.

Please indicate if you are in a poor LTE reception zone and have great WiFi reception. This is the condition of my experiment.

You all start out with WiFi ON and Data Services ON. I want you turn OFF Data Services and tell me if there is any difference in power usage. Technically, the phone should not be using the Data Services anyway since it is on WiFi.

NEXT

Turn Data Services back on. What do you notice?

Remember, please look at each scenario over a SIZABLE duration of time and with SIMILAR usage. We want the conditions of the experiment to be the same in both cases.

I won't tell you what I noticed as I don't want to introduce a placebo here.

THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR DISCUSSING BATTERY SAVING TIPS.

IT IS NOT FOR GETTING INTO ARGUMENTS AS TO WHY PEOPLE WHO GET GREAT BATTERY LIFE ARE FULL OF ****.

THIS IS AN EXPERIMENT THAT I WANT TO CONDUCT TO GET TO THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM.

AT&T and Verizon users are not able to turn off LTE. This is why this experiment is being conducted. If one is on WiFi then the Data Services should not be used and we should be getting battery life comparable to those on 3G and the like. Please respect one another if you choose to participate and don't insult people.

Thank you for your time.
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-30-13 03:10 AM
    I propose an experiment for those on AT&T and Verizon. Trying to solve the battery life issue.-img_00000010.png
    This represents the first hour this morning. Half the time spent Wifi only the other with both Wifi and LTE on.

Battery was at 96% after all night charge on PlayBook charger.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 07:04 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000010.png 
Views:	1430 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	145341
    This represents the first hour this morning. Half the time spent Wifi only the other with both Wifi and LTE on.

Battery was at 96% after all night charge on PlayBook charger.

Posted via CB10
    Guess I should have said I was just browsing CB10 forum's.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 07:34 AM
    But if you turn off network, you can't get phone calls, right?

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 07:36 AM
    I propose an experiment for those on AT&T and Verizon. Trying to solve the battery life issue.-img_00000012.png
    After last post my son played a brick breaker game for 30 minutes.

Looks like I will be going on charge by 11 AM

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 07:37 AM

Name:	IMG_00000012.png 
Views:	1372 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	145344

Posted via CB10
    Do you have anything open in the background? That's a lot of power to be using just browsing CB forums. Have you done a reboot or battery pull?
    03-30-13 07:47 AM
    Do you have anything open in the background? That's a lot of power to be using just browsing CB forums. Have you done a reboot or battery pull?
    The only active windows I had were CB10 and Battery Guru. I have been away from BlackBerry for awhile now forget how too tell what else might be running.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 07:52 AM
    The only active windows I had were CB10 and Battery Guru. I have been away from BlackBerry for awhile now forget how too tell what else might be running.

Posted via CB10
    You are using way too much power for just those 2 apps. I would do a battery pull and see if things improve.
    03-30-13 07:56 AM
    Also, do you have things like Twitter, Facebook, BeWeather installed? If so, how often do you have them checking for updates?
    03-30-13 08:01 AM
    Also, do you have things like Twitter, Facebook, BeWeather installed? If so, how often do you have them checking for updates?
    Facebook and Twitter but I can't seem to find where I set the update frequency. I did a battery pull yesterday don't think that there was any improvement. Will try again

Thanks for helping. I love the phone but this battery drain is killing me.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 08:13 AM
    I found the CB app to be the reason for my battery drain. I put the settings on manual updates, and now get reasonable battery life.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 08:39 AM
    Tazish, what did you find? This is the exact battery drain that I've had. Could you do it for a little longer this time? It looks like it is drawing a bit more power with data services on, right? Or am I reading that wrong?
    03-30-13 02:49 PM
    But if you turn off network, you can't get phone calls, right?

Posted via CB10
    I said to turn off Data Services not the Mobile Network.
    03-30-13 02:59 PM
    Gotcha. How do I do that?
    Thx!

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 04:30 PM
    Gotcha. How do I do that?
    Thx!

Posted via CB10
    Settings then network connection

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 05:30 PM
    I am on my third charge for today. The last charge ended around 5. Phone was in pocket except for 3 hockey score checks and my son playing brick breaker for 20 minutes. Back down to 25%. If I don't figure this out soon it is gone and I love the phone otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 08:19 PM
    I propose an experiment for those on AT&T and Verizon. Trying to solve the battery life issue.-img_00000122.jpg

This graph is with wifi on att mobile data off. This is longest that I have went without charging almost 10 hrs with 1.8 hrs to spare . During this time I have used the browser a lot, cb, Twitter, text, talked on phone, visited bbw browsed a couple movie previews, downloaded apps, downloaded the BB10 software update, ran the maps programs a couple times for a trip that I am planning. I even had my display on 100% brightness.

With data on my battery would have died at the 5 - 6 hour mark.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 11:46 PM
    I propose an experiment for those on AT&T and Verizon. Trying to solve the battery life issue.-img_00000017.png

This is seven hours on nights and while sleeping. Data and Wifi on. Only app open was Battery Guru. Use 10% an hour sitting doing nothing.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 05:51 AM
    AT&T and Verizon users are not able to turn off LTE.
    I did not know this. That makes me pretty mad. I have a question, what if I don't have LTE in my area? Will my phone be constantly polling for an LTE connection?

My AT&T Z10 arrives this Wednesday so I'll test this as well.

P.S. I hate AT&T!! They ruin everything.
    03-31-13 06:11 AM
    Ok well I am amazed. My battery is doing awesome today. About 130 inbound mails 30 out. Several texts including mms. Came off charge around 7:30. Now 5:30 and still over 50%. I did notice I was using tons of data. 2gb in first 4 days. That has slowed down drastically. I wonder if it has anything to do with its initial sync to the servers.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 04:39 PM
    Also forgot about 30 minutes on CB10 and download a few apps

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 04:40 PM
    Ok well I am amazed. My battery is doing awesome today. About 130 inbound mails 30 out. Several texts including mms. Came off charge around 7:30. Now 5:30 and still over 50%. I did notice I was using tons of data. 2gb in first 4 days. That has slowed down drastically. I wonder if it has anything to do with its initial sync to the servers.

Posted via CB10
    Something was using up data (and battery) like mad. Email, facebook, etc. Now you are getting normal battery life. Hope it stays that way for you.
    04-02-13 04:51 PM
    Something was using up data (and battery) like mad. Email, facebook, etc. Now you are getting normal battery life. Hope it stays that way for you.
    It sure was. Wish I could figure it out. I did turn off push email and sync every 15 minutes now on exchange and 30 on Gmail. Can't believe that alone did it. I noticed the change last night at the Devils game when it uploaded 3 videos and didn't die like the 4s would have.

Thanks for all the help.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 04:54 PM
    SO what have we learned? ... A good developer should develop an app that will automatically turn data services on when needed service is in use and turn it off when service is done.
    04-02-13 06:35 PM

Name:	IMG_00000012.png 
Views:	1372 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	145344

Posted via CB10
    That is a hot battery! Mine runs at about 77 during moderate use.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 07:18 PM
27 12