I don't get out a lot but last night I gave blood and then met a friend afterward at a bar. At the blood bank I had four people asking about the Z10, it really attracts a lot of attention. At the bar I sat with a guy that had one and when he realized I had one too he asked how I like it. I raved, he ranted.

His primary complaint was that there was no easy way to move his contacts, I told him that was not an issue for me because I use Cloud email - Office 365. Then he got ranting about how hard it was to use.

He demonstrated how it takes four steps to get to the phone app. He did not know that a swipe from the bottom turns it on, a full swipe bypasses the lock screen, all he knew was the button at the top.

He did not know about peek, he said his old iPhone was easier to get things done with. He did not know about running apps and how you can switch quickly between them. I showed him this and then he asked how I learned it. I told him there was a short video to watch when setting up the phone for the first time. He confessed to skipping that. He said a person should not have to spend two minutes learning, that it should be intuitive.

He did not know how to use the keyboard at all. He did not know that you could flick words, he thought you had to wait until the word showed in blue on the space bar. Did not know how to place the cursor for corrections or flick down for punctuation.

He did not know how to pull down for options or to find help. He had the phone for a week and knew nothing about it. He is returning it.

The last thing he mentioned was he was not happy with Telus. He switched from Rogers signed up with Telus only to find the plan he signed up for only allowed for three voice mails. Now I can see how that is lame, but not only can he not watch the video, but he also cannot read the features of his plan.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 09:02 AM
    Some people don't like instructions no matter how easy it is to access them. It usually takes them years to "get it".
    03-09-13 09:12 AM
    There is learning in this kind of thing. Joe public is pretty basic. Middle aged Joe public is even more basic when it comes to the "new fangled". You can only go so far in dumbing down the experience.
    03-09-13 09:14 AM
    Haters will always hate. The guy sounds like a half empty person. A person always focused on the negative.

Anyways not everyone is a BlackBerry person.

Posted via CB10
    kh7771965 and BoldAlways like this.
    03-09-13 09:15 AM
    Sounds lazy to me. Does he think you can learn how to drive a car, or use a computer, or play an instrument, or ride a bicycle in 2 minutes? Welcome to the new and REAL world of lifelong learning!
    spike12, Drayk, Cracklen and 6 others like this.
    03-09-13 09:15 AM
    I laughed many times when reading your post. Sounds like you met someone who hates the device despite not learning the most basic of functions. The Z10 is not an iPhone. It sounds like he expected it to just be that but with a blackberry symbol on it.

I wonder if he would return a new modern Smart TV after he couldn't figure it out and outright refused to read the manual.

Posted via CB10
    brout, Cracklen, meganVee and 6 others like this.
    03-09-13 09:16 AM
    Haters will always hate. The guy sounds like a half empty person. A person always focused on the negative.

Anyways not everyone is a BlackBerry person.
    Come to think of it, all this guy did was complain on every topic. To be fair though, he is not an iPhanboy, otherwise he would not have even had a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    meltbox360 likes this.
    03-09-13 09:18 AM
    You met a guy at the blood bank who had a Z10 for a week, didn't know how to unlock the device, didn't know how to swipe words on the keyboard, didn't know about the multitasking, didn't know how to open the phone app.
    The gentleman you met has given far too much blood.
    03-09-13 09:20 AM
    To be fair, he did have a point. I don't find it intuitive either, but I did do the tutorial so now I know. Yet I dare to say that is not required for either I phone nor android and not even webOS to name a few.

I know plenty of people who would never ever read a guide, my own dad drives me mad like that but there are many like that.

Also the keyboard and editing text is just not as good as on the iPhone. It just keeps on correcting wrongly and moving the cursors is literally hit and miss. Slightly better after the update but still not there like on iPhone and android.

Don't get me wrong, there is lot to like but it does take some persevering which is not for everyone. There seem to be many on crackberry who cam only see this device through rose tinted glasses.

Posted via CB10
    ibby-berry and xxslxx like this.
    03-09-13 09:21 AM
    He was probably just having girl troubles and was taking it out on his phone. Classic case of displacement.
    03-09-13 09:22 AM
    I don't get out a lot but last night I gave blood and then met a friend afterward at a bar. At the blood bank I had four people asking about the Z10, it really attracts a lot of attention. At the bar I sat with a guy that had one and when he realized I had one too he asked how I like it. I raved, he ranted.

His primary complaint was that there was no easy way to move his contacts, I told him that was not an issue for me because I use Cloud email - Office 365. Then he got ranting about how hard it was to use.

He demonstrated how it takes four steps to get to the phone app. He did not know that a swipe from the bottom turns it on, a full swipe bypasses the lock screen, all he knew was the button at the top.

He did not know about peek, he said his old iPhone was easier to get things done with. He did not know about running apps and how you can switch quickly between them. I showed him this and then he asked how I learned it. I told him there was a short video to watch when setting up the phone for the first time. He confessed to skipping that. He said a person should not have to spend two minutes learning, that it should be intuitive.

He did not know how to use the keyboard at all. He did not know that you could flick words, he thought you had to wait until the word showed in blue on the space bar. Did not know how to place the cursor for corrections or flick down for punctuation.

He did not know how to pull down for options or to find help. He had the phone for a week and knew nothing about it. He is returning it.

The last thing he mentioned was he was not happy with Telus. He switched from Rogers signed up with Telus only to find the plan he signed up for only allowed for three voice mails. Now I can see how that is lame, but not only can he not watch the video, but he also cannot read the features of his plan.

Posted via CB10
    I too had a similar experience. Yesterday I was walking down the street and saw a Bigfoot. Rare I know but not as rare as the person you met.
    03-09-13 09:25 AM
    You met a guy at the blood bank who had a Z10 for a week, didn't know how to unlock the device, didn't know how to swipe words on the keyboard, didn't know about the multitasking, didn't know how to open the phone app.
    The gentleman you met has given far too much blood.
    I met him at the bar after the blood bank, not sure sure if he is a giver. That was shallow of me.

Posted via CB10
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    03-09-13 09:25 AM
    To be fair, he did have a point. I don't find it intuitive either, but I did do the tutorial so now I know. Yet I dare to say that is not required for either I phone nor android and not even webOS to name a few.
    Posted via CB10
    I have used all three of the above mentioned operating systems, and they all took time to learn. Android was especially confusing. Web OS was the most pleasing.

Posted via CB10
    sok2507 likes this.
    03-09-13 09:29 AM
    I couldn't live with my Z10, if I didn't know about those things either. Hopefully he would want to familiarize himself with the phone before sticking to his decision, now that you showed him how it's done.
    BTW, would've been nice if you showed him how to get to the instruction videos in Help section, i.e just type help after tapping on magnifying glass icon on home screen.

Posted via CB10
    Cracklen and GRojasHruska like this.
    03-09-13 09:33 AM
    It's times like this I always remember a game I played where a chubby guy wore a belt buckle that has these letters on it.

RTFM which stands for read the fking manual
    03-09-13 09:36 AM

I know plenty of people who would never ever read a guide, my own dad drives me mad like that but there are many like that.

Also the keyboard and editing text is just not as good as on the iPhone. It just keeps on correcting wrongly and moving the cursors is literally hit and miss. Slightly better after the update but still not there like on iPhone and android.

Don't get me wrong, there is lot to like but it does take some persevering which is not for everyone. There seem to be many on crackberry who cam only see this device through rose tinted glasses.

Posted via CB10
    As I started reading your post I sympathized. I was thinking "alright, maybe this individual does have a point with the learning curve being somewhat higher than an iPhone". However, then I got to your comments about the keyboard and unfortunately you lost all credibility in my eyes. Every single review, every single person, every single skeptic and hater even that has picked up the Z10 praised one thing on this device, and that is the keyboard. Not only is it better than anything offered on the iPhone and Android, it us so much better that it is basically in a league of its own. This includes comfort, speed, accuracy, feel, everything. To say otherwise is absolute rubbish and portrays an enormous degree of ignorance.

I will give you one thing though. Text editing could be better still, though if you learn how to use the existing tools properly the only "editing" issue really is with selecting blocks of text. Picking a specific spot to select is actually quite easy with the help of the selection circle.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 09:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    Are you kidding me... the iphone is intuitive out of the box without reading or knowing anything about it? Do you know how many people I show how to switch apps on the iphone cause they don't have a clue? Or to use the multi finger gestures (that require 2 hands I might add) and I don't or have ever owned an iphone.

Your statement is just false many do not know anything beyond the basics of these devices either, if you're going to own electronics spend some time to learn them people. Sheesh...

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 09:53 AM
    It's times like this I always remember a game I played where a chubby guy wore a belt buckle that has these letters on it.

RTFM which stands for read the fking manual
    I was often accused of being the guy that refused to read the manual, but it simply is not true and RTFM is one of my favorite sayings.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 09:57 AM
    As I started reading your post I sympathized. I was thinking "alright, maybe this individual does have a point with the learning curve being somewhat higher than an iPhone". However, then I got to your comments about the keyboard and unfortunately you lost all credibility in my eyes. Every single review, every single person, every single skeptic and hater even that has picked up the Z10 praised one thing on this device, and that is the keyboard. Not only is it better than anything offered on the iPhone and Android, it us so much better that it is basically in a league of its own. This includes comfort, speed, accuracy, feel, everything. To say otherwise is absolute rubbish and portrays an enormous degree of ignorance.

I will give you one thing though. Text editing could be better still, though if you learn how to use the existing tools properly the only "editing" issue really is with selecting blocks of text. Picking a specific spot to select is actually quite easy with the help of the selection circle.

Posted via CB10
    Well at least you give me text editing, phew I was going to say if you think that that part is good you really haven't tried other devices. Heck even the playbook I can just point/touch and bang I can edit and move a cursor around. There is something just not right with it on the BB10. But to then go on that if I type right I don't have to edit is just ridiculous.

Try typing my name on the keyboard Jean-Paul, it keeps on inserting spaces between Jean hyphen and Paul, then it insists on writing Paul with a lower case P. And then there is my surname again lower case d in de which it just can't seem to remember, and uppercase J in Jong. Then add some prefixes and postfixes to a name and you are pretty stuffed.

Nah, whilst I agree it has potential and perhaps if you only write simplistic US English words it may be great, but the moment you get any kind of internationalisation in it it falls down. And when it falls down you have to edit the typos the system introduces and then it falls down again through incredibly finicky cursor placement.
    H_O_Boomaye, xxslxx and cindaaaay like this.
    03-09-13 10:02 AM
    Are you kidding me... the iphone is intuitive out of the box without reading or knowing anything about it? Do you know how many people I show how to switch apps on the iphone cause they don't have a clue? Or to use the multi finger gestures (that require 2 hands I might add) and I don't or have ever owned an iphone.

Your statement is just false many do not know anything beyond the basics of these devices either, if you're going to own electronics spend some time to learn them people. Sheesh...

Posted via CB10
    I didn't say that they know anything beyond the basics, but at least they can do the basics yes there are cleverer ways to switch apps than use the home button but at least they can figure it out. Just like making a call, sending a text, composing an email, and how to receive them. Don't get me wrong I really like how it works on BB10, but please don't presume that everybody is into their gadgets. Smart phones are a commodity these days and not just for people who are 'into it' and want to read the manuals. Now I don't think it is hard, it is only short but still it has to be done in order to figure it out...
    leafnstion44 and 00stryder like this.
    03-09-13 10:05 AM
    99% of cars go to the junkyard with the owners manual unopened and sealed in the glovebox.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 10:05 AM
    Some people don't like change. I can dig it.
    03-09-13 10:09 AM
    Are you kidding me... the iphone is intuitive out of the box without reading or knowing anything about it?
    Hehehehe,. The amount of time I've had to spend teach my mother and my girlfriend (not idiots, but not interested in tech) how to do things suggest it's not always as easy as people thing. You should have seen, for example, my girlfriend try to figure out how to delete a video I put on when she was done, or attach a photo from the email program to send to someone. Or turn off the keyboard click sound that she disliked. Or turning on the video sharing between her Mac, Apple TV and iPhone like she saw done on TV. My mother struggled with the whole concept of using iTunes to sync stuff on her computer with her device.

Once I showed them, they were fine, but it was really no different than the minute I took to explain the gestures and how they worked on PlayBook and BlackBerry 10.

Honestly, I don't think either platform is difficult to use but all platforms require a learning curve for certain tasks.
    03-09-13 10:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    The keyboard isn't as good? What?....the iphone keyboard is worse than android and z10 even iphone users complain about the auto correct,and you can tell when someone is using an iphone to text/post on social sites/ the iphone auto correct is the center of countless amount over Internet jokes because of its dumb corrections, the z10 keyboard is by far the best on screen keyboard out here,i have not heard any user complaints about it yet!!

Posted via CB10
    Try typing my name on the keyboard Jean-Paul, it keeps on inserting spaces between Jean hyphen and Paul, then it insists on writing Paul with a lower case P. And then there is my surname again lower case d in de which it just can't seem to remember, and uppercase J in Jong. Then add some prefixes and postfixes to a name and you are pretty stuffed.
    If you struggle through typing it properly ONE TIME and the phone doesn't recognize it in the dictionary, just tap on the red underlined Jean-Paul you just typed, a menu will pop up, and add it to dictionary. It's really not that hard.

ALTHOUGH, i just tried it on my Z10, and it had no issue allowing me to type Jean-Paul at all. I've never typed it before, or added it to dictionary. It just knew it.
    pcguy514 and elGuapoTorres like this.
199 123 ...