I've been using my new z10 for the past three days now and the battery has been horrendous! I unplug at 8am and by 12 noon I'm already at 50% barely using it at all. Just some light texting, viewing 10 emails and some crackberry. My battery usually runs out by 3pm.

I have read extensively in the forums and there seems to be no pattern as to why this is not happening to all users and I think I've finally found the culprit. UNINSTALL all battery monitoring/display apps that you have. I've been using bx battery info since day one and I've been checking it nonstop during the time I had bad battery life. Today is my first day without it and I unplugged again at 8am and used my phone nonstop up til 12 noon again and I'm still at 80 percent!! This includes 30 mins of voice call, 7 text messages, checking 10 emails, some crackberry and whatsapp plus playing around with the phone with the wifi on the whole time! I sure do hope it works for everyone! I have no idea if all battery monitoring apps drain the battery (I think battery guru's more stable) but I am just really happy that I can now enjoy using my phone without worrying about the battery.

Please try it yourself and share your experiences!
    04-12-13 10:43 PM
    I've never found a battery monitoring tool that hasn't unnecessarily sucked battery life.... so I don't use them.

But good to hear you found yourself a fix!
    trynacu2 likes this.
    04-12-13 10:53 PM
    I guess I will try this.
    Nothing else is working.
    I have battery guru, but I dont think this will be the problem.
    And I have tried EVERYTHING.
    04-12-13 10:54 PM
    Just uninstall it and see for yourself. You cannot imagine how happy I am because of this revelation. I have also exhausted every possibility and have really tried using my phone sparingly just to extend battery life. I have doubled or tripled my usage with no apprehensions at all and am now still at 80. I changed nothing whatsoever with my previous settings.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 10:57 PM
    ive got battery guru installed and there is no drain from it at all
    billsterjito and peter9477 like this.
    04-12-13 10:58 PM
    I've been using my new z10 for the past three days now and the battery has been horrendous! I unplug at 8am and by 12 noon I'm already at 50% barely using it at all. Just some light texting, viewing 10 emails and some crackberry. My battery usually runs out by 3pm.

I have read extensively in the forums and there seems to be no pattern as to why this is not happening to all users and I think I've finally found the culprit. UNINSTALL all battery monitoring/display apps that you have. I've been using bx battery info since day one and I've been checking it nonstop during the time I had bad battery life. Today is my first day without it and I unplugged again at 8am and used my phone nonstop up til 12 noon again and I'm still at 80 percent!! This includes 30 mins of voice call, 7 text messages, checking 10 emails, some crackberry and whatsapp plus playing around with the phone with the wifi on the whole time! I sure do hope it works for everyone! I have no idea if all battery monitoring apps drain the battery (I think battery guru's more stable) but I am just really happy that I can now enjoy using my phone without worrying about the battery.

Please try it yourself and share your experiences!
    Thanks I will try but just one question, are you estimating that your battery has 80% left since you deleted the apps or is there another way to check toe percentage?

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 10:58 PM
    ive got battery guru installed and there is no drain from it at all
    Yeah I've read a lot of posts with people using guru and not having a problem. bx battery on the other hand..

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 11:00 PM
    Thanks I will try but just one question, are you estimating that your battery has 80% left since you deleted the apps or is there another way to check toe percentage?

Posted via CB10
    You can check your battery life in settings then about then go to hardware. That's what I'm using now to monitor usage.

I also noticed that my free ram is up to 700 to 800 mb from 300 on the 3 precious days prior. I'm not closing any apps anymore and all are running in the background.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 11:00 PM
    You can check your battery life in settings then about then go to hardware. That's what I'm using now to monitor usage

Posted via CB10
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 11:02 PM
    I've had battery charger app since day one.....never had an issue, battery is awesome.
    drmike likes this.
    04-12-13 11:04 PM
    I've never run battery monitors, but then again, I've never had issues with battery life on my Z10 since I got it. With normal usage (emailing during the day, regular texting, and about an hour of playing games during downtime/breaks), I get a full day of use. With light usage on the weekends I get a good day and a half to two days.
    04-12-13 11:17 PM
    Nope
    Didn't work for me. Can tell already.

Posted via CB10
    CrownIsle likes this.
    04-12-13 11:38 PM
    I will try this out!

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    04-12-13 11:51 PM
    You can try my thread search for 'try this battery saving tip. Has been working great for my many.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 12:01 AM
    You can try my thread search for 'try this battery saving tip. Has been working great for my many.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I've seen that but haven't tried yet. I'm very happy with my battery life right now and I could not ask for more. The screen swipe wake feature is too useful to disable lol been using my phone really hard all morning

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 12:10 AM
    Yeah I've seen that but haven't tried yet. I'm very happy with my battery life right now and I could not ask for more. The screen swipe wake feature is too useful to disable lol been using my phone really hard all morning

Posted via CB10
    I turned It off and haven't looked back. My phone illuminate the screen when it's taken out of the holster so don't really need the swipe to unlock feature anyway. And I have been getting insane battery life. I remember my first week with the phone it would die in 6 hours and get hot. Now it's more like 14-24 hours before I need to charge it. I don't use it heavily but I wasnt using it heavily before either and it didn't last long. Others have reported similar results.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    04-13-13 12:14 AM
    Excellent! Your excitement is palpable :P What the heck, I'll try it too with battery guru. May not be the solution for everyone but everyone's z10 works differently

Posted via CB on my sexy Zee 10
    04-13-13 12:21 AM
    The ebay app is also a cause for battery drains, once I deleted it all my battery issues were gone... at least that worked for me
    04-13-13 12:50 AM
    I just solved my battery issues!!!-img_00000214.png

I have Battery Guru installed and this is today's usage.
    Almost 9AM To almost 12 AM, ~15 hours, 41% left.
    Don't really know what I did, it wasn't this good.
    04-13-13 12:54 AM
    I suggest thus if you are having battery life problems http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=793352

I've tired it for a few days and it really does work! Normally my battery does around 12 hours but it's lasted for about 18/19 now and that's with moderate usage

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 02:41 AM
    Systematic approach:
    The 3 component groups that use the bulk of your power are, in no particular order: CPU, screen, transmitters.

Start your excessive battery use investigation by turning off the transmitters. This is easy, turn on Airplane mode. Graph the battery use in Airplane mode for at least 30 minutes and then out of Airplane mode. Is it significantly different? If so, you know something is keeping a transmitter active.

Which transmitter is it? You have 4. Mobile, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC. Turn off each and graph power use. Probably you won't notice much difference with NFC and Bluetooth on and off, unless you are actively using Bluetooth. If those two do make a big difference, something is probably wrong with your hardware or OS load.

Next try with Wi-Fi off but mobile on. Much change? No. There is an app or something that is synchronizing too often. And/or synchronizing over mobile when it shouldn't.

Now let's say Wi-Fi proves to be the culprit. That is very odd but it turned out to be my problem. At home my battery life was fine, no complaints. However, at work it was not so good. I had to charge at about 14:00, having gotten there about 06:00. I tracked it down to Wi-Fi. With that off, I got similar battery life to home. With Wi-Fi on at work, my battery life was not good. I say was because the recent update from AT&T has fixed it that problem.

So, what if Airplane mode didn't change your power use much?. There really is only one other place to look: the CPU. There is a stuck app, which is easy to fix, just restart the device. Graph your power use after a restart but before running anything. Is it still high? If so, you've got a hardware problem or bad OS load.

What is a normal power use for the Z10? I don't know but, if you restart it, put it in Airplane mode and turn the screen off, you shouldn't see battery capacity change over 30 minutes. Maybe it could click down by 1% but certainly not more. For me, -0.01 watts when idle is what I see (using Battery Guru). That seems to be the smallest number it shows unless on the charger.
    Last edited by jrohland; 04-13-13 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Typo in minimum watts number
    peter9477, aha, Mecca EL and 2 others like this.
    04-13-13 04:04 AM
    The issue for the most part isn't the Z10 it's the Qalcom LTE chip that most LTE devices use; the chip isn't energy efficient so even while you are charging your phone and LTE is enabled the battery won't get its full potential charge because it's being drained constantly. So you need to use a different network like HSPA+ or H.

I get 2 days or so of battery life on my Z10 using it about as much as you do.
    04-13-13 04:37 AM
    Systematic approach:
    The 3 component groups that use the bulk of your power are, in no particular order: CPU, screen, transmitters.

Start your excessive battery use investigation by turning off the transmitters. This is easy, turn on Airplane mode. Graph the battery use in Airplane mode for at least 30 minutes and then out of Airplane mode. Is it significantly different? If so, you know something is keeping a transmitter active.

Which transmitter is it? You have 4. Mobile, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC. Turn off each and graph power use. Probably you won't notice much difference with NFC and Bluetooth on and off, unless you are actively using Bluetooth. If those two do make a big difference, something is probably wrong with your hardware or OS load.

Next try with Wi-Fi off but mobile on. Much change? No. There is an app or something that is synchronizing too often. And/or synchronizing over mobile when it shouldn't.

Now let's say Wi-Fi proves to be the culprit. That is very odd but it turned out to be my problem. At home my battery life was fine, no complaints. However, at work it was not so good. I had to charge at about 14:00, having gotten there about 06:00. I tracked it down to Wi-Fi. With that off, I got similar battery life to home. With Wi-Fi on at work, my battery life was not good. I say was because the recent update from AT&T has fixed it that problem.

So, what if Airplane mode didn't change your power use much?. There really is only one other place to look: the CPU. There is a stuck app, which is easy to fix, just restart the device. Graph your power use after a restart but before running anything. Is it still high? If so, you've got a hardware problem or bad OS load.

What is a normal power use for the Z10? I don't know but, if you restart it, put it in Airplane mode and turn the screen off, you shouldn't see battery capacity change over 30 minutes. Maybe it could click down by 1% but certainly not more. For me, -0.01 watts when idle is what I see (using Battery Guru). That seems to be the smallest number it shows unless on the charger.
    This is probably the best battery troubleshooting routine I've ever seen on CB. I strongly suggest mods move this to front page or include in the help section of CB.
    04-13-13 09:09 AM
    I have been using battery guru for the last week or so and all I see from that app is inconsistent info. I'm not that heavy of a user but I do get tons of emails, text, BBMs/group BBM, but with that app I would see things like having 20 hrs till empty with 80% bat left to it dropping to 70% and it saying I would have 8 hrs left. Not sure if this will work but I will give it a shot. It may be my device or my battery but I can't stand it really.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    04-14-13 10:02 AM
    I have been using battery guru for the last week or so and all I see from that app is inconsistent info. I'm not that heavy of a user but I do get tons of emails, text, BBMs/group BBM, but with that app I would see things like having 20 hrs till empty with 80% bat left to it dropping to 70% and it saying I would have 8 hrs left. Not sure if this will work but I will give it a shot. It may be my device or my battery but I can't stand it really.
    The info shown for "time left" is provided by the OS itself, and based on the latest power reading, and the battery remaining. Unfortunately those values update only every two minutes, and in two minutes there's lots of time for conditions to change and make it appear that, instantaneously, the prediction is incorrect.

For example, if you have the screen off and low power consumption, then swipe it on and check, you'll likely see a longish value like "102h left". Given that you have the screen on and its the biggest consumer of power, that's obviously impossible.

Likewise, if you were playing an intensive game, then stop and check the time left a short time after, you'll likely see it saying only an hour or two left, when in fact you'll probably get many more than that if you don't continue the CPU-heavy activity.

The current "time left" value in Battery Guru works best if you check it only after a period of stable conditions, and only if you take into account the fact that the OS updates this value only once every two minutes.

I'm working on improvements for a future update, where the app itself will supply a projected time left rather than relying on the current one the OS is supplying to it.
    Sirhill likes this.
    04-14-13 10:14 AM
36 12