Are you kidding me?? People ******** about not having skype is valid. People ******** about not having instagram or Netflix is not...

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 10:51 AM
    I'd prefer Instagram over Skype.

I don't know why people don't use Google video/hangout more. It's cleaner/easier and better than Skype.
    03-29-13 01:06 PM
    I thought it was full-moon that brought out the craziness - seems like Easter has taken over...

I'd prefer Instagram over Skype.
    Yea - group voice calls via Instagram rocks... right?

I don't know why people don't use Google video/hangout more. It's cleaner/easier and better than Skype.
    Have you ever tried to call a Skype user from Google hangout? When you find out how to do it - please show us...

And also - Where is that Google hangout app for BB10? No need for the video part - just voice... I'm sure you can put it together over the Easter weekend.... right?
    pels_17 likes this.
    03-29-13 01:28 PM
    In my case my wife uses Skype to talk to her family in Chile.
    03-29-13 01:29 PM
    In my case my wife uses Skype to talk to her family in Chile.
    and soon @Aristeian will show us how to do the same with Instagram

ha ha ha
    pels_17 likes this.
    03-29-13 01:32 PM
    I get why people use Skype (and still think it should be pronounced "skip-ee"). What I don't get is trying to use it on mobile devices. Granted, my only experience is on an iPad and iPhone4, but the video quality was crap. Guess I should try it on my wife's Android.
    03-29-13 01:37 PM
    I get why people use Skype (and still think it should be pronounced "skip-ee"). What I don't get is trying to use it on mobile devices. Granted, my only experience is on an iPad and iPhone4, but the video quality was crap. Guess I should try it on my wife's Android.
    If voice is what you need - Skype delivers - Video still require a lot more bandwidth - all the way between all participants - and many seems to forget that Uplink speed is usually less than a fraction of the Downlink speed.
    03-29-13 01:42 PM
    I see it as important, but not critical because so many people now also have an iPad, or to a lesser degree, an Android tablet. Since they all have Skype, people have options.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 01:56 PM
    Are you kidding me?? People ******** about not having skype is valid. People ******** about not having instagram or Netflix is not...

Posted via CB10
    What makes you right and someone who finds Netflix or Instagram important to them wrong? I get asked about Netflix on PLayBook and Z10 all the time. People see that HDMI out and three guesses where they go with it ...
    03-29-13 01:57 PM
    I see it as important, but not critical because so many people now also have an iPad, or to a lesser degree, an Android tablet. Since they all have Skype, people have options.

Posted via CB10
    You must have bigger pockets than me.
    03-29-13 02:24 PM
    I have a friend in Canada that pretty much sticks to Skype so... That's why I want it.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 02:41 PM
    Yea - choice is good... that's why we choose to leave the iPad's and Android tablets home for the children to play games on,... At work - we use either Laptops - or our Z10 phones.
    Even do 90% of all sales presentations with the Z10 now - streaming wireless to big screen TV - and also to projectors when needed... no more need to carry a big back-pack to hold all gadgets and special connectors.

WHEN Skype soon is released, we will also be able to communicate with our Skype using customers world wide. Already using TruPhone on the Z10's for Voice calls - which gives a much better audio quality than "normal" phone calls... You should give it a try. Cheap international rates ...
    03-29-13 02:50 PM
    Already using TruPhone on the Z10's for Voice calls - which gives a much better audio quality than "normal" phone calls... You should give it a try. Cheap international rates ...
    I wish I could say I have had the same experience with the truPhone app on the Z10. I've tried calling people with it many times and each time the sound quality is so bad to the point that with the volume jacked up, I could hardly hear them and then it is disconnected or they hang up. I've deleted and re-downloaded and still the same. Not one in the 10 calls I have tried with it that I've got a good connection. I was hoping they would have a fix in an update.
    03-29-13 03:55 PM
    What makes you right and someone who finds Netflix or Instagram important to them wrong? I get asked about Netflix on PLayBook and Z10 all the time. People see that HDMI out and three guesses where they go with it ...
    Because last I checked the Z10 is a communication device... playbook makes sense for it to have Netflix asap.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 11:11 PM
    For the record, I don't use Skype but thought it was a good explanation. Get over it.

Posted via CB10
    +1
    Same here...legitimate question and had some decent replies.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 11:26 PM
    One of the biggest points I hear when people bring up the lack (perceived) of Apps on BB10 is.....No SKYPE!

So.....I honestly don't get why it is so critical to people. I'm trying to truly understand how people use it on a day to day basis?

I've used SKYPE on my laptop to communicate when on a business trip but don't really see the necessity on my mobile device.....maybe it's just me missing the boat.
    I use it for making a living. Many of my clients are international and their hours can be odd and I need to Skype with them when they need me.
    03-29-13 11:40 PM
    Wouldn't a great BlackBerry-centric solution to this issue be.....convince your family and friends to also get BB10 devices (or get them for them)? Then you can use BBM voice or video as an alternative. BBM voice is also available all the way back to BBOS 5 I believe.
    So, you think a reasonable alternative is to make friends and family switch to a platform they probably don't like or want (hence why they aren't on it now) instead of being able to use a service that's available on most other platforms as well as on computers?

That seems reasonable. *eyeroll*

Posted via CB10
    pels_17 likes this.
    03-29-13 11:46 PM
    Because last I checked the Z10 is a communication device... playbook makes sense for it to have Netflix asap.

Posted via CB10
    I must have hallucinated using a communications device (gs3) to watch Netflix in my hospital bed this month. Yes, it sure wasn't nice to have access to for those 4 days. Why do you think that because you don't think it's necessary, no one else should either?

One of the first things I side loaded was Netflix.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 11:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    That is the typical narrow thinking that got blackberry in trouble in the first place.
    03-30-13 06:26 AM
    Placing calls from your Skype Mobile on BlackBerry Z10 to any land line or mobile in Canada or the USA costs $2.99 month unlimited minutes / calls. Skype to Skype is free! Video conferencing is also incuded.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 12:20 AM
    LOL. I think so. ;-)

You have to admit...it was pretty bad. We're not talking about Grandma Agnes asking, this is a person who has internet access, a laptop, a mobile phone, and on top of that, has actually USED Skype. Yet still, he just cannot figure out why some people might want it.....

As Jaymars said on the first page, thinking about for 2 seconds should have yielded the answers (and I'm sure did). If you have a phone, presumably, you've been able to figure out how phones became popular. At it's most basic level, the motivation is the same.
    I obviously figured out why people "might want it", just not why it was such a deal breaker.....until now, after all the good responses (scattered amongst useless and bad natured comments that didn't belong in my thread)
    04-02-13 11:33 AM
    So, you think a reasonable alternative is to make friends and family switch to a platform they probably don't like or want (hence why they aren't on it now) instead of being able to use a service that's available on most other platforms as well as on computers?

That seems reasonable. *eyeroll*

Posted via CB10
    My comment about a "BlackBerry-centric approach" was made tongue-in-cheek. With all the talk of word of mouth advertising I thought we could start with family first!! Pretty much 90% of what I say is said with a smile, probably a bit smartass-ish and is meant to stir discussion and probably be a bit of a Devil's advocate.

My biggest issue with text based conversations like forums and IM is that people can easily misinterpret my meaning, especially since I'm very sarcastic!!!! I guess video chat on SKYPE would solve that............FINALLY I found a solid personal reason to NEED SKYPE!
    reeneebob likes this.
    04-02-13 11:49 AM
    Ummm video chat with the front facing camera?

Sent From My BlackBerry Z10
    04-02-13 11:56 AM
    Thanks Lindstrom but I'm not crazy and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks Skype is overrated and sucks. I used it for a while and the call quality and video was awful. I wasn't even calling internationally. Having now used Google hangout and Facetime, they are both vastly superior. I'm hoping my friends switch to bb10 soon so we can try bbm video.

I'm sure you're a cantankerous old man who doesn't watch shows like Girls but I agree with Hannah when she said that people who still use Hotmail are weird. Everyone I know has a google mail account and therefore, can Google hangout. I think it makes far more sense to have a video chat option built into a mail application than downloading/signing up for an entirely separate service like Skype that does just one thing, and to boot, does it poorly.
    04-04-13 08:41 AM
    Thanks Lindstrom but I'm not crazy and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks Skype is overrated and sucks. I used it for a while and the call quality and video was awful. I wasn't even calling internationally. Having now used Google hangout and Facetime, they are both vastly superior. I'm hoping my friends switch to bb10 soon so we can try bbm video.

I'm sure you're a cantankerous old man who doesn't watch shows like Girls but I agree with Hannah when she said that people who still use Hotmail are weird. Everyone I know has a google mail account and therefore, can Google hangout. I think it makes far more sense to have a video chat option built into a mail application than downloading/signing up for an entirely separate service like Skype that does just one thing, and to boot, does it poorly.
    Did you know that you can also chat using Skype? Stop being ignorant, puhlease...
    04-04-13 09:06 AM
135 ... 3456