If everyone used the same type of device (e.g. Z10, but could just as easily say iPhone), then Skype and Whatsapp would not need to exist. The reality is that Z10 has a miniscule market share, but even iPhones are not universal. Therefore cross-platform text and video messaging apps are a necessity.
    I completely understand that.

I totally get why cross-platform communications are so important.

I just never really understood why the current lack of this one application, SKYPE, was causing people to not consider a BB10 device. I got some pretty good answers to my query.

If I had the love of my life in a distant country or my son/daughter overseas defending my country's freedom or if I had my own small business and needed to video conference with customers/suppliers or if I had my family spread out across the nation and the world.......I would definitely covet such a product and not want to be without it. I don't fit any of those molds, but now I understand better some of those who do
    03-28-13 08:56 AM
    Skype is great to use across different platforms. My husband and I used it a lot when he was in Afghanistan. Sure, you can email someone a picture or text them a picture, but sometimes it's nice to video chat. Especially if it's a family member and you miss them.

That's the only thing keeping me from AT&T and getting a Z10. My husband wants my phone to have Skype on it. I REALLY want a new BB10 phone, but I'm playing the waiting game. I'm not going to be one of those people that buy a device then gripe about what it lacks. I do my homework.
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    03-28-13 03:29 PM
    we like to communicate with family overseas
    03-28-13 05:02 PM
    Well I was asking the same question about Skype, thanks to those that answered. I just feel FT kills Skype and BlackBerry video chat with voice trumps both. I'm getting my mom a new BlackBerry for her birthday so we can keep in touch better. (my wife's getting a Q for her birthday) no more Skype or FT here lol.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 05:07 PM
    One of the biggest points I hear when people bring up the lack (perceived) of Apps on BB10 is.....No SKYPE!

So.....I honestly don't get why it is so critical to people. I'm trying to truly understand how people use it on a day to day basis?

I've used SKYPE on my laptop to communicate when on a business trip but don't really see the necessity on my mobile device.....maybe it's just me missing the boat.
    Why did you even go there? The simple fact is to each his or her own and people use Skype and other apps for all kind of reasons that others may not be able to appreciate or identify with.
    03-28-13 10:58 PM
    I don't use Skype. The last thing I want to do is to look at ppl while I'm talking on a cell phone. If I'm on my cell its because I'm busy. I'm probably not giving my full attention to the conversation.

However there are lots of people for whom it is the gold standard of communication and for that reason BlackBerry needs to have it.

And I can easily see how businesses make use of it, or how much families and people, who are more touchy feely than I am, would enjoy it to see loved ones.

Posted via CB10
    Fnen90 likes this.
    03-28-13 11:30 PM
    Don't forget to read my post again, I added another point about caller display that really makes Skype even more awesome.

Posted via CB10
    You can set up Skype to show your regular cell phone number when paying by the minute as well so you don't get call screened by showing "unknown number". I am in Canada and I believe it is 2.7 cents a minute for Canada and US. If what I'm saying or hearing isn't worth 3 cents a minute I should just shut up. I have it set up with $15 and when that gets low it auto fills $15 more from my credit card. I didn't realize unlimited Canada and US was only $3 per month though. May switch over.

It is just as convenient to use SkypeOut (that's what it is called) from my cell phone as using the regular cell line.
    -Poke green icon and dial for regular cell call.
    -Poke blue icon and dial for SkypeOut call.

Bottom right on screen cap below.

I honestly don't get why SKYPE is so important to people.....can someone explain?!?!-imagehlso.jpg
    03-28-13 11:33 PM
    because it works and everyone has it .... well except BB people
    True..
    Fnen90 likes this.
    03-29-13 12:06 AM
    Can't everyone just get a bb10 phone and video chat through BBM. Is that asking too much?

Posted via CB10
    Sergeant_Im likes this.
    03-29-13 01:25 AM
    I mean do we really need to jump down OP's throat? C'mon.
    LOL. I think so. ;-)

You have to admit...it was pretty bad. We're not talking about Grandma Agnes asking, this is a person who has internet access, a laptop, a mobile phone, and on top of that, has actually USED Skype. Yet still, he just cannot figure out why some people might want it.....

As Jaymars said on the first page, thinking about for 2 seconds should have yielded the answers (and I'm sure did). If you have a phone, presumably, you've been able to figure out how phones became popular. At it's most basic level, the motivation is the same.
    pels_17 likes this.
    03-29-13 02:14 AM
    When Skype first came out... I didn't get the hype since video conferencing feature is already existed within MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger... so it seems redundant to me.

Until video calls on mobile became popular I think it is why Skype became the trend on mobile devices as no other apps provide the same experience.
    03-29-13 02:31 AM
    Hey! Leave grandma Agnes out of this! At least she knows how important Skype is to call her granddaughter Jane across the state. You were thinking caveman Joe...

Posted via CB10
    pels_17 likes this.
    03-29-13 02:44 AM
    The main reason I can think of; Skype can be loaded onto Blackberry, Android, Apple devices, and loaded onto a multitude of computers.
    It's a total cross platform for all types of devices to communicate using the video portion of the device.

Proudly posted via Z10 on CB10
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-29-13 03:17 AM
    Skype has come to be a main communication platform in business that cannot invest on other teleconference solutions.

It is if you like a kind of Universally accepted tool in medium/small business and personal communication between professionals. When your client and partner base is dispersed around the globe, believe me, skype IS important and much so.

Many of my clients include it on their business cards, that should tell you something. It also reduces costs that go towards communication expenses in companies.

I also avoid using it, I am not a particular fan of voip or video through skype but many people also use it for their communication with friends and family. Just imagine you are abroad and your family has skype on their phone as you do... instead of calling through carrier, you get to a normal wifi and call each other from your mobiles for free....

Skype IS a big deal, I do not use it often but it IS a really big deal for many people and in many areas/levels.
    03-29-13 05:41 AM
    Two things come to mind for me:

1. No one I know is on the other end of BBM any more.
    2. Skype lets me visit with my Grandson 1200 miles away. Priceless.
    currentodysseys and pels_17 like this.
    03-29-13 06:34 AM
    Cheaper to call to Indonesia, Australia , Namibie from Holland. Do in need it Yes but not on my mobile just on my PC and also using it for online gaming when i play battlefield 3 on PS3. I use skype for hours to talk to my brother and friend
    03-29-13 07:34 AM
    Cheaper to call to Indonesia, Australia , Namibie from Holland. Do in need it Yes but not on my mobile just on my PC and also using it for online gaming when i play battlefield 3 on PS3. I use skype for hours to talk to my brother and friend when we online
    03-29-13 07:37 AM
    Not surprised in the slightest that people are upset over Skype not being here yet. 2 months ago Thorsten stood on stage and told us BB10 would have Skype. I understand it's coming eventually, but for some of us its already been 2 months of waiting, with zero updates or specific information about a probably release time.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 07:39 AM
    I have 50 clients on Skype.

I cannot ask them to change. I have family who want to see my kids who are not on BB, I can't ask them to change.

Skype is the great equalizer for many people.

If you don't use it, then good for you but don't presume your lack of need supersedes other peoples requirements of an app.
    Agree.. it's all about COMMUNICATION especially to loved ones far from you and don't have BBs. BlackBerry is a useful tool for commuication therefore it's just rightful to add this application.

Posted via CB10
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-29-13 08:24 AM
    People use Skype for the same reason they would use WhatsApp, different instant messaging services, and BBM/iMessage because they talk to people nationwide and globally.

Nationwide: some people may not have text (don't know who would nowadays) and want talk rlk cross platform or met on forums/online and don't want give out their number (excluding WhatsApp)

Globally: simple, they don't want to pay for the high international rate most carriers have.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 08:33 AM
    I always use Skype, what I don't see as important though is instagram
    pels_17 and rammmsss_M like this.
    03-29-13 09:09 AM
    Well, so far, I understand that users of Skype have explained very well why IP telephony is so important to them. IP telephony which now includes video and instant messaging is an excellent way to keep in contact with family, friends and business contacts for little or no money. For those that tend to go with the flow, it is important to note that Skype is one of the most widely used IP telephony services out there and so I get why they want it as an app on BB devices.

As far as I am concerned, Skype is not the only player out there and I have chosen to try out different programs/apps that are available to BB devices such as Faceflow and Comwave. Most people I communicate with still only use their phones which are platform/app agnostic. I can call them for free though they can't call me back for free unless I set up an account with a number in their area code. So far, the number of calls they make to me does not warrant the bother of doing this.

For my laptop, I use Fongo because it includes voicemail and call forwarding for free. I can keep the same number and no matter where I go in North America, people I know here can contact me at no cost to them. I can return any missed calls for free using my PB and Comwave. It is a good solution that works for me without Skype.

I have not had any need for coming up with a solution for instant messaging. None of my contacts has indicated they would like to send me an instant message so I have not looked into setting anything up. It does not mean there is nothing available with the services I use, just that I have not looked into it. I do send instant messages to others on occasion via e-mail (typically (their phone no)@(their service provider)).

Perhaps the best solution is for an app that can communicate with everyone else regardless of platform or brand of IP telephony. That would obviously harm whatever revenue model that would accrue to a company that would stake its success on being the only player in town but perhaps that sacred cow could be put aside n favour of a new revenue model.
    03-29-13 09:11 AM
    Forgot to add this; Want to know how important Skype has become for communication? Do a search on "skype france telecom"

Basically France wants Skype to register as a telecom like every other phone company. Paying all the correct taxes and following the telecommunications guidelines to have fair competition, etc.)

I believe this will be harmful to the future of this medium and impede progress, but at the same time, I can see where France is concerned. The lines between a once Web Cam service is blurring into a full fledge telecommunication service. Just my humble opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Young Z; 03-29-13 at 10:55 AM.
    03-29-13 09:30 AM
    What about creating BBM for all other platforms?
    03-29-13 10:43 AM
    I don't use Skype. The last thing I want to do is to look at ppl while I'm talking on a cell phone. If I'm on my cell its because I'm busy. I'm probably not giving my full attention to the conversation.

However there are lots of people for whom it is the gold standard of communication and for that reason BlackBerry needs to have it.

And I can easily see how businesses make use of it, or how much families and people, who are more touchy feely than I am, would enjoy it to see loved ones.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds exactly how I felt lol, but once you add a baby to the family, video chat these days is almost mandatory!! Traveling internationally for the first time in my life gives you a new appreciation for wifi communication be it bbm or what's app. One more option such as Skype is good. Don't use it much but I would've if it was available at the time.
    03-29-13 10:49 AM
135 ... 23456