Yep....I guess someone seeking info from a forum is not a legitimate use of a forum. Did you read any of the comments at all? I'm curious about what this "intent" was. Please educate we unthinking people who were so stupid to think this was a legitimate question. Because, I personally, was educated from this post and comments about why Skype is important to others. Then again, I'm one of those unthinking people who think forums are for those seeking information.
    On a device whose primary function is communication, produced by a company that built its rep on mobile communication, you couldn't figure how an app like Skype could be useful either? And you also couldn't google it and see how useful it is for people? You're right. You're quite "unthinking."
    03-27-13 10:07 PM
    Skype is only important to me now, because MSN messenger is being discontinued, and MSN messenger is a big part of communicating with friends, co-workers and other associates, with MSN Messenger gone, Skype is the only choice.
    I guess I have been using Facebook for this purpose. Used to have a ton of contacts on MSN but seems over the years they have fizzled out and been replaced with Facebook. On Facebook I can share photos and updates on mass and chat with friends in an MSN-like fashion.

Guess it really just boils down to your circle of friends and personal preference. I use Facebook for friends and family and Link In for business.

Thanks for all the REAL responses and good feedback....I learned quite a bit about SKYPE and I'd definitely more inclined to try it out again.
    03-27-13 10:19 PM
    On a device whose primary function is communication, produced by a company that built its rep on mobile communication, you couldn't figure how an app like Skype could be useful either? And you also couldn't google it and see how useful it is for people? You're right. You're quite "unthinking."
    Oh, you're so clever, arent you....you still haven't answered your asinine assertion that there was some other intent to the original post. I take that as you have no intelligent answer to your ridiculous assertion. On another note, my apologies to you, the self appointed forum police, for following a thread on something I wished to gain knowledge about. Apparently, in your view, CrackBerry is for jerkoffs to criticize "morons" who actually use a forum for what its supposed to be for....troll on all you want, I for one am done with this. Thanks for proving my point though...
    VaderZ10 likes this.
    03-27-13 10:24 PM
    You are correct there ... missed the boat...

Some of us use our BlackBerry devices for business - and for meetings with customers and partners all around the globe. Some of these only have Skype as option, so Yes - we could use laptops - but it is much more convenient to use the phone ... Skype meetings/group calls are excellent - and ability to use the chat window for text/links etc - perfect.

We cannot tell our customers to get other devices just because we can't use skype...

But of course - Skype is not for everybody - if you don't need it you don't need it...

but just because You don't understand Why - does not mean it is not needed...
    I never said it wasn't needed.....just never fully understood. I can try it and use it and understand it as a piece of Software but until I got some human feedback I wasn't really aware of it's full range of uses and how many people use it for many different purposes.

.....and please don't assume anything about me and my use of my BB device for business. I use BB Groups extensively to collaborate with colleagues across the world and I access my Linked In Groups on my Z10 to share research and solve problems. My business just doesn't require voice contact or video conferencing very often, my needs are more document sharing.
    03-27-13 10:25 PM
    I never said it wasn't needed.....just never fully understood. I can try it and use it and understand it as a piece of Software but until I got some human feedback I wasn't really aware of it's full range of uses and how many people use it for many different purposes.
    .....and please don't assume anything about me and my use of my BB device for business. I use BB Groups extensively to collaborate with colleagues across the world and I access my Linked In Groups on my Z10 to share research and solve problems. My business just doesn't require voice contact or video conferencing very often, my needs are more document sharing.
    Apparently many cannot read past the headline and read the whole post. It's easier to flame on someone without actually reading what was posted.
    03-27-13 10:37 PM
    I honestly don't get why people STILL have the audacity to ask the same ignorant question OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

We live in 2013. The whole world is moving towards "constant connection" - you have a BlackBerry 10 meant to KEEP YOU MOVING, and you still ask this?

Don't mean to be rude or mean, but WILL YOU PLEASE STOP IT ALREADY.

Oh, and here is why I [ME, MYSELF] - NEED - Skype and Viber:

I run a company, with 5 members. Two of them live in one country, another 2 live in another country, and the 5th lives in a different province than I.

Should I continue or do you get the message?!

Rude.....very rude. I ask a question to prompt some conversation and get treated like this??? I apologize that I haven't read another post that answered this for me.

If you can't participate constructively then don't participate in my thread. Skip it. Read something else. Go SKYPE! Just don't be unnecessarily rude and obnoxious.
    03-27-13 10:41 PM
    I understand Skype is important, to see and chat with loved ones, over great distances but is it worth having a tantrum over, insulting people, because it's not on your phone? Can't you use a computer? Are you often skyping on the bus? in a car? On the subway? Skype is important to those who like it, but it's not a kidney dialysis machine. You will live without it until it arrives on the Z10. All is good.

From Z to U via CB10
    03-27-13 10:58 PM
    One of the biggest points I hear when people bring up the lack (perceived) of Apps on BB10 is.....No SKYPE!

So.....I honestly don't get why it is so critical to people. I'm trying to truly understand how people use it on a day to day basis?

I've used SKYPE on my laptop to communicate when on a business trip but don't really see the necessity on my mobile device.....maybe it's just me missing the boat.
    PS: I agree.

From Z to U via CB10
    03-27-13 11:02 PM
    It's a skype so it's a hype. When i need to call i use a telephone, not skype. It's patchy at best. And Microsoft may not keep it free indefinitely.
    Maybe it is patchy in Indonesia but not in other places. I am from Canada so when I travel to the US or the UK my roaming fees for mobile are very high. Hotel phone charges make even the normally usurious Canadian wireless carriers seem like charities as you pay ridiculous amounts. Skype to skype or skype to phone is dirt cheap and it works well.
    03-27-13 11:04 PM
    Don't assume that I was presuming anything. I honestly just wanted some feedback, that's why I asked. I must live/operate/do business in a different way than those who rely on SKYPE.

I'm not judging or faulting just curious
    If you wanted feedback, why not search the forums? There have been like a million topics about this.
    03-27-13 11:05 PM
    I use Skype a lot- especially when i travel internationally. I'm able to call other Skype users FOR FREE from my laptop. If I use my BB to phone home, it costs me $1.50 per minute. I can also use Skype to call landline phones for some insanely inexpensive amount of money. I'll say that it costs me no more than a couple of cents per minute to call my homephone & talk to my wife and kids while overseas. Having Skype on a mobile device and calling from it saves money- especially when the mobile is connected to a hotspot.

In addition, Microsoft is retiring Messenger and moving everyone to Skype instead. It's an incredibly popular and important app, so I understand the desire to stick with a platform that has a Skype app if you're an avid user. If not, I understand how you would understand what the big deal is.
    03-27-13 11:21 PM
    I wanted to ask my own question, start my own thread and get my own responses. This is how forums work. Just because a question has been asked before doesn't mean it can't be asked again.

If you don't like it, don't open it, don't read it, don't comment.

Communities need to be patient and understanding and helpful. They need to welcome people with open arms and just because they don't know everything about one subject doesn't mean they don't know a he'll of a lot about other things......I want to live in the prison NOT Woodbury! May be a far out and obscure reference but I'm sure those who get it will appreciate the sentiment.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 11:26 PM
    Surprised this hasn't been released yet. Expected it this week or last week free those BlackBerry employees tweets.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    03-27-13 11:29 PM
    I'll DL it when it comes and I probably won't use it. Seems like ill just dl apps to tell people "Yes my BlackBerry has that App" yet I won't use them.

When I had the ip5 and sgn2 barely used skype.

Posted via CB10 with my Zed 10
    03-27-13 11:30 PM
    I mean do we really need to jump down OP's throat? C'mon.
    03-27-13 11:32 PM
    Why ppl use skype? Same reason why hundreds of millions of people are using whatsapp, line, wechat, qq. But, but BBM is spposed to be the leetest of them all! They should all be using BBM! Unfortunately, thats now how it works, they found a secret recipe that makes them wildly popular (hint: one of those secret ingredients is cross-platform)

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 11:34 PM
    I want it because my brother and I use it to chat, as he lives halfway around the world. It's handy and useful, enough said? We also get our parents, who aren't.... "good" with technology.... to use it to chat with us, as it's simple, easy, and straight forward. So simple and easy in fact, that I can also use it to chat with my little niece. She has somehow found a way to exit her Elmo game on my brother's iPad and launch Skype, and periodically calls the family members they have on their Skype list. I think it's hilarious when I get a Skype call from a <4 year old, all while her mother is in the kitchen and has no idea what's going on. Those calls amuses me to no end everytime she pulls it off. THEREFORE, I wan't Skype on my Z10!

Note, yes I can use it on my computer. But I'm with my phone the entire awake part of my day, and certainly not on my computer for even a fraction of that.
    VaderZ10 and bbfan1040 like this.
    03-27-13 11:37 PM
    Yes, some of you may be ticked that people still ask these kinds of questions. Myself, I found it interesting. I definitely have a better understanding of Skype now. If you don't like the question, why can't you just go to the next thread? What's the point in trying to get people to think the way you do? Seems like a waste of energy to me.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 11:46 PM
    I started to use skype when I was learning other languages (english and chinese)
    then I kept it to keep in touch with friends
    Now, I use it for business, since I'm in china, to make free calls to my customers and do video chats, and the wifi version works better and it is much clearer in conversation than making a direct phone call to the other countries... sadly but true, they have a fast connection, BUT, what I don't understand, is why calling to usa is too slow, and other latin american countries I can both way video calls without lag... and downloading ...
    03-28-13 12:02 AM
    SKYPE > instagram in what I get out of it but having both would shut everyone up :P
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    03-28-13 06:39 AM
    yup not everyone is hip, cool, and smart.

Posted via CB10
    I too own a Zeeeeee, but don't criticise others for not doing so. I do not like I-phones also, but do not imply things about others who do.

This is a place for free thinkers and for people who like technology.Do not make it a war zone please.
    VaderZ10 likes this.
    03-28-13 06:53 AM
    I run my business on skype
    I have a skype-in phone number, all outgoing calls on skype-out
    overseas calls inexpensive
    I cant leave without it
    Thomas Tompkins likes this.
    03-28-13 06:55 AM
    I use Skype as my business line as well. It travels with me when of the road, and I don't have to give out my cell phone number to everyone. I actually use a Google Voice number to forward out calls to both cell and Skype.

I also use Skype to video chat with my daughter. When she was deployed to Iraq, I would never know what her schedule would be like, especially with a seven hour time difference. No real phone service. Skype was the easiest way to communicate. Having Skype access on my phone means I won't miss chatting with my daughter when away from my computer.

Posted via CB10
    VaderZ10 likes this.
    03-28-13 07:10 AM
    I too own a Zeeeeee, but don't criticise others for not doing so. I do not like I-phones also, but do not imply things about others who do.

This is a place for free thinkers and for people who like technology.Do not make it a war zone please.
    I agree with you 0110 0100 % akavbb!
    03-28-13 08:34 AM
    If everyone used the same type of device (e.g. Z10, but could just as easily say iPhone), then Skype and Whatsapp would not need to exist. The reality is that Z10 has a miniscule market share, but even iPhones are not universal. Therefore cross-platform text and video messaging apps are a necessity.
    03-28-13 08:44 AM
135 12345 ...