`Yep I have had a skype account since skype first came out have a certified account and only pay 1 cent a min for land line calls anywhere in the world. I have a grandfathered account with them. Not many out there. Thats the reason why i need it on the phone.
    03-27-13 05:22 PM
    It is a nice way to see family members who are far away for more than a few days. Not all of them have BBM video.
    03-27-13 05:23 PM
    Simple ... it is the gold standard for voip across all plarforms,,,,,
    pels_17 likes this.
    03-27-13 05:31 PM
    Wouldn't a great BlackBerry-centric solution to this issue be.....convince your family and friends to also get BB10 devices (or get them for them)? Then you can use BBM voice or video as an alternative. BBM voice is also available all the way back to BBOS 5 I believe.
    Not everyone wants to switch to a BlackBerry Z10.

Posted via CB10
    R_from_Toronto likes this.
    03-27-13 05:38 PM
    Not everyone wants to switch to a BlackBerry Z10.

Posted via CB10
    yup not everyone is hip, cool, and smart.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 05:42 PM
    Deleting info... attempting to un sub from thread....
    Last edited by madx80h; 04-04-13 at 09:34 AM.
    03-27-13 05:44 PM

If you don't use it, then good for you but don't presume your lack of need supersedes other peoples requirements of an app.
    Was this really necessary? OP was asking a legitimate question on why SKYPE is so important to people, he didn't appear to be presuming anything, but you did.
    03-27-13 05:54 PM
    Skype is only important to me now, because MSN messenger is being discontinued, and MSN messenger is a big part of communicating with friends, co-workers and other associates, with MSN Messenger gone, Skype is the only choice.
    03-27-13 06:01 PM
    .maybe it's just me missing the boat.
    You are correct there ... missed the boat...

Some of us use our BlackBerry devices for business - and for meetings with customers and partners all around the globe. Some of these only have Skype as option, so Yes - we could use laptops - but it is much more convenient to use the phone ... Skype meetings/group calls are excellent - and ability to use the chat window for text/links etc - perfect.

We cannot tell our customers to get other devices just because we can't use skype...

But of course - Skype is not for everybody - if you don't need it you don't need it...

but just because You don't understand Why - does not mean it is not needed...
    03-27-13 06:05 PM
    Was this really necessary? OP was asking a legitimate question on why SKYPE is so important to people, he didn't appear to be presuming anything, but you did.
    It's not legitimate. Actually thinking about it for two seconds would've revealed reasons why it's important to some people. It's quite clear what the intent was.
    richardat likes this.
    03-27-13 06:07 PM
    Instant message is also a bit part of Skype that can't be forgotten. Voice and video are good, but Skype is also considered the universal instant messenger for people that are on PC's all day. And it's free compared to the others that charge you.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 06:11 PM
    I honestly don't get why people STILL have the audacity to ask the same ignorant question OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

We live in 2013. The whole world is moving towards "constant connection" - you have a BlackBerry 10 meant to KEEP YOU MOVING, and you still ask this?

Don't mean to be rude or mean, but WILL YOU PLEASE STOP IT ALREADY.

Oh, and here is why I [ME, MYSELF] - NEED - Skype and Viber:

I run a company, with 5 members. Two of them live in one country, another 2 live in another country, and the 5th lives in a different province than I.

Should I continue or do you get the message?!
    richardat likes this.
    03-27-13 06:48 PM
    Wow, Skype came a long way since I first used it and thought it was horrible. Thanks for that perfect explanation.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 06:50 PM
    another one?.......really?
    just gonna throw it out there, if you want to know why skype is so important, theres like 500 threads complaining about bb10 not having it.
    03-27-13 06:51 PM
    For the record, I don't use Skype but thought it was a good explanation. Get over it.

Posted via CB10
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    03-27-13 07:09 PM
    My kids love using it to video chat with cousins and grandparents. I love using it to see my kids when I'm traveling. If a newer video chat service comes out that becomes so universal and stays free, I would use it. Skype is available on every platform that my extended family uses, so it's easy for all of us to keep in touch.
    03-27-13 07:22 PM
    People want Skype as everyone usually has it to communicate with each other especially overseas, it's free and awesome.

Wagwan.
    03-27-13 07:23 PM
    Skype is free world wide voice and video communication and is device agnostic, every platform has it at this point. BBM is nice and all but it is ONLY for Blackberries.That is why we want skype.
    03-27-13 07:27 PM
    Perfect way to keep up with grandchildren spread all over the country, and avery inexpensive way to communicate while out of the country. AOL application requires too much coordination.
    03-27-13 07:33 PM
    because it works and everyone has it .... well except BB people
    My sentiment exactly. Sometimes it is not about utility but about why we don't have it?

I too have never used Skype on mobile or PC. But that doesn't mean it is not important to other people. Some folks want to use it for mobile chat etc.,

I have never feel the need to have news app as I just go to the website. But having news app is very important to most people as it simplifies news reading.

Having more apps is always a good thing. You have the option of whether you want to use it or not.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 07:39 PM
    I have 50 clients on Skype.

I cannot ask them to change. I have family who want to see my kids who are not on BB, I can't ask them to change.

Skype is the great equalizer for many people.

If you don't use it, then good for you but don't presume your lack of need supersedes other peoples requirements of an app.
    03-27-13 08:33 PM
    If you don't understand why Skype is important to other people, you probably don't need it...

But that doesn't apply to other million or billion human beings...

Posted via Z10
    03-27-13 09:08 PM
    If you were offended by this, then you didn't see the smartassed post about not understanding the need for tampons. Seriously?? I didn't understand the incessant harping about the lack of Skype either. Fortunately, most people here were gracious enough to explain why its useful to them and explain why its important to them to have it on their phone. I, myself still can't see myself using it, but I can see its usefulness. Unfortunately, for those of us who aren't "enlightened" and seek information from those who know more about a subject, can expect to be insulted and ridiculed. At least those who dare to speak up anyway. Which, personally, I find real funny since I still think I'm in the vast majority of people who have absolutely no use for Skype on a phone. At any rate, I was under the impression that forums were a place to gain and share information and even opinions. I have gained tons of useful info from those who know a lot about the BBOS and how to maximize it, and will continue to do so. I'm just sick of the useless, trolling, insults from those who think they're so clever....
    momofteme likes this.
    03-27-13 09:20 PM
    Blame Microsoft for buying them out and not supporting bb10

Batberry Z10
    03-27-13 09:20 PM
    It's not legitimate. Actually thinking about it for two seconds would've revealed reasons why it's important to some people. It's quite clear what the intent was.
    Yep....I guess someone seeking info from a forum is not a legitimate use of a forum. Did you read any of the comments at all? I'm curious about what this "intent" was. Please educate we unthinking people who were so stupid to think this was a legitimate question. Because, I personally, was educated from this post and comments about why Skype is important to others. Then again, I'm one of those unthinking people who think forums are for those seeking information.
    pvpjohn likes this.
    03-27-13 09:34 PM
135 1234 ...