One of the biggest points I hear when people bring up the lack (perceived) of Apps on BB10 is.....No SKYPE!

So.....I honestly don't get why it is so critical to people. I'm trying to truly understand how people use it on a day to day basis?

I've used SKYPE on my laptop to communicate when on a business trip but don't really see the necessity on my mobile device.....maybe it's just me missing the boat.
    03-27-13 03:36 PM
    Basically, people use it to keep in touch with friends and family.
    Often overseas.
    Voice and video.
    Makes the world feel smaller.
    Lots of people use it.
    kthhrrsn, KoukiFC3S, Lendo and 8 others like this.
    03-27-13 03:40 PM
    A lot of people talk on it for work.

I use it to talk to family members in NY since am not living there right now. I use the computer, but I'd also use it on the phone. I am personally in no rush for it but I still hope it comes soon.
    03-27-13 03:44 PM
    it is for those that has to communicate with others who doesn't have PB or BB10. Otherwise BBM video is way better. Skype quality sucks balls.

I used it - just sucks balls for quality but like others have mention almost everyone has it.
    Last edited by deremi; 03-27-13 at 03:58 PM.
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    03-27-13 03:46 PM
    Wouldn't a great BlackBerry-centric solution to this issue be.....convince your family and friends to also get BB10 devices (or get them for them)? Then you can use BBM voice or video as an alternative. BBM voice is also available all the way back to BBOS 5 I believe.
    xBURK, TrueKulcha and frifred like this.
    03-27-13 03:48 PM
    My above theory would also solve the WhatsApp crisis. If my friends and family won't join the revolution.......ha ha ha, now that's getting carried away a bit I think
    xBURK likes this.
    03-27-13 03:50 PM
    I have 50 clients on Skype.

I cannot ask them to change. I have family who want to see my kids who are not on BB, I can't ask them to change.

Skype is the great equalizer for many people.

If you don't use it, then good for you but don't presume your lack of need supersedes other peoples requirements of an app.
    03-27-13 03:52 PM
    I know it's extremely important to my wife for keeping in touch with her family in the Philippines, and others spread around the globe.

There are lots of different services that do the same thing to be sure, and some that do it better, but at this point in time it seems to be the one most know well and use.

Posted via CB10
    Fnen90 and bbfan1040 like this.
    03-27-13 03:55 PM
    because it works and everyone has it .... well except BB people
    jaymars, Etios, rottonj and 3 others like this.
    03-27-13 03:55 PM
    One of the biggest points I hear when people bring up the lack (perceived) of Apps on BB10 is.....No SKYPE!

So.....I honestly don't get why it is so critical to people. I'm trying to truly understand how people use it on a day to day basis?

I've used SKYPE on my laptop to communicate when on a business trip but don't really see the necessity on my mobile device.....maybe it's just me missing the boat.
    To put it simply:
    -Rogers Canada/USA long distance plan is $20 a month on top of my regular cell phone service so I can call family and friends in the states.
    -friends and family in the States on the other end will probably pay the same in order to call you as well. We are up to ($40 a month already for two people)

With Skype on your mobile, for $2.99 a month, you have unlimited calls to land line and cellphones. That's $6 a month for two people to talk to each other instead of $40.

Skype is no longer just for Skype to Skype. You can use the above Skype deal to call your neighbor across the street if your minutes on your regular plan was running out.

Oh, and a great part of the $2.99 deal is that you can specify that the other people will see your real phone number. So that person can't tell if you called from Skype app or your phone. They'll see your real number and call that number back.

I'm actually surprised Skype isn't advertising this more, you basically have unlimited minutes now for Canada/USA.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Young Z; 03-27-13 at 04:22 PM.
    momofteme and HeHates like this.
    03-27-13 04:03 PM
    Don't assume that I was presuming anything. I honestly just wanted some feedback, that's why I asked. I must live/operate/do business in a different way than those who rely on SKYPE.

I'm not judging or faulting just curious
    03-27-13 04:08 PM
    Well skype for me is important because i can stay in touch with my Family and GF
    I currently live in Jordan i study uni there and my parents live in K.S.A and u know my mom or dad having a BB! well they keep saying "why? its useless" and i'm not 24/7 in the house like my uni finishes at 4 pm and they would like to see me and i also do like to see them! so its gonna save me a lot of stuff and time to see them while walking or at the gym or even in a restaurant. so yup it is important to stay in touch with family!

and for my GF side, well my gf is an iPhone fan and she adores iphone and she is currently in USA studying law in Yale uni, so the only way i could communicate with her is skype because it will be in my hand (in my BB) and i would be out at night or something i could see her without having to go home or using a laptop.

Thats why SKYPE is important to us specially students and love birds ><

Good luck all, and i keep wishing skype gets to BB10 soon
    Last edited by mamous; 03-27-13 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spell mistake
    03-27-13 04:10 PM
    To put it simply:
    -Rogers Canada/USA long distance plan is $20 a month on top of my regular cell phone service so I can call family and friends in the states.
    -friends and family in the States on the other end will probably pay the same in order to call you as well. We are up to ($40 a month already for two people)

With Skype on your mobile, for $2.99 a month, you have unlimited calls to land line and cellphones. That's $6 a month for two people to talk to each other instead of $20.

Skype is no longer just for Skype to Skype. You can use the above Skype deal to call your neighbor across the street if your minutes on your regular plan was running out.

Posted via CB10

That is a great explanation! I honestly didn't realize it was that universal and could now be used to call landlines, etc.. I guess I only used it in it's infancy when it was a glorified webcam app. Thanks!
    momofteme likes this.
    03-27-13 04:10 PM
    That is a great explanation! I honestly didn't realize it was that universal and could now be used to call landlines, etc.. I guess I only used it in it's infancy when it was a glorified webcam app. Thanks!
    Don't forget to read my post again, I added another point about caller display that really makes Skype even more awesome.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 04:13 PM
    I use it for work, the messaging system and video is really good for business, and it's difficult to ask business partners to change services just for you

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 04:18 PM
    I honestly don't get why tampons or maxi pads are so important to people...can someone explain?!?!

I honestly don't get why it is so critical to people. I'm trying to truly understand how people use it on a day to day basis?

I've seen them in my cabinet at home but don't really see the necessity in my daily use.....maybe it's just me missing the boat.

Or, maybe, just because I don't use something doesn't mean it's not useful to at least someone else...
    mamous, rcab, xBURK and 4 others like this.
    03-27-13 04:24 PM
    One reason it is important is that the Iphone and Ipad have it! All of my family has Iphones and they use skype. I have to carry my laptop with me when i travel to chat with them. There is no skype for playbook or BB phone. So it is not easy to get family members to switch especially if they are in the middle of a contract them self. It is like buying insurance so that when needed you have it. So for many of us there is a time when we need it. We may not need it daily but without it we have to use workarounds and convince family members to do the same so that they can chat with us when we are traveling. To the BB critics it is an example of where BB fails in providing needed apps. So just because you may not need it does not mean everyone has the same situation. There are other apps that I do not use and therefore do not need but I can understand how some in CB do need them
    03-27-13 04:26 PM
    I keep in touch with my contractors on the other side of the World via Skype...Skype is a valuable business tool
    Thomas Tompkins likes this.
    03-27-13 04:27 PM
    It's a skype so it's a hype. When i need to call i use a telephone, not skype. It's patchy at best. And Microsoft may not keep it free indefinitely.

Z10, Indonesia
    03-27-13 04:28 PM
    I for one would not have bought the Z10 had they not confirmed Skype at the launch event. Its importance really can't be understated. I've got 2 main reasons why I think it's important,

1. It's the gold standard in cross-platform video chat. FaceTime is great for iOS to iOS, BBM Video is great for the new BB10 people, but the only widely used cross-platform solution is Skype.

2. As lcohen999 said above, it's the great equalizer. PlayBook has a lot of problems at launch, but a major continuing one is the lack of Skype. If a platform doesn't have Skype, it's immediately deemed inferior, consumer confidence is greatly reduced, and that pisses off developers.
    03-27-13 05:00 PM
    To put it simply:

With Skype on your mobile, for $2.99 a month, you have unlimited calls to land line and cellphones. That's $6 a month for two people to talk to each other instead of $40.

Oh, and a great part of the $2.99 deal is that you can specify that the other people will see your real phone number. So that person can't tell if you called from Skype app or your phone. They'll see your real number and call that number back.

I'm actually surprised Skype isn't advertising this more, you basically have unlimited minutes now for Canada/USA.

Posted via CB10
    I'm with the OP i thought skype was a shaky webcam app also.
    Thanks for the explanation, the clamoring for it makes a little more sense now.
    03-27-13 05:04 PM
    Microsoft owns skype and they are in teh process of killing off MSN messenger and making skype their "official" IM client. A lot of people's work use MSN messenger and so skype now.

Also, skype is awesome. Call quality is excellent. It more-or-less just works with very little set up or twiddling. It's a mediocre IM client though, imo.
    03-27-13 05:08 PM
    i could care less about it. lots of people have their panties in a bunch over it though.
    03-27-13 05:08 PM
    Microsoft owns skype and they are in teh process of killing off MSN messenger and making skype their "official" IM client. A lot of people's work use MSN messenger and so skype now.

Also, skype is awesome. Call quality is excellent. It more-or-less just works with very little set up or twiddling. It's a mediocre IM client though, imo.
    You're right. Skype is pretty ***** proof and works extremely well. If you have a crappy exchange, it's not Skype, it's your internet.
    pels_17 likes this.
    03-27-13 05:18 PM
    I echo. I use it for work and for personal reasons over long distance. A lot of times, my phone and tablet are connected to WiFi. And everyone I know is on Skype. Yeah, I *CAN* Facetime on my iPhone and I *CAN* video chat on my PlayBook, but most people I know use Skype. End of story for me.

My non-technical mother and non-technical aunt both have PlayBooks. First question? Does it have Skype? Second question? Does it have Netflix?
    03-27-13 05:21 PM
135 123 ...