Okay...they're not FUNCTIONAL...but the hardware is there.

I am not starting this as a complaint and I'm not whining. I just want to share the info with people here and ask them whether they think it is worthwhile sorting this out.

The STL100-1 uses the TI OMAP4470.

Here is a screenshot from the TI tech sheet for the OMAP4470 at http://focus.ti.com/pdfs/wtbu/OMAP4470_07-05-v2.pdf:

I have Miracast, FM Radio and Wi-Fi Direct on my Z10!-omap4470.jpg

The WiLink chip needs to include support for Miracast.

If you check out TI's OMAP processors and WiLink connectivity solutions together expected to provide rich Miracast™ experiences with display over Wi-Fi - Jun 4, 2012 , you will see the following:

The latest TI-based Miracast demonstrations featuring the OMAP4470 processor and WiLink 7.0 connectivity solution are on display this week, June 5 � 8, at Computex Taipei, in booth TICC 101D.
    This means that the TI OMAP 4470 needs to be used with the WiLink 7.0 chip for Miracast to work.

It is already noted that the STL100-1 uses the WL1283 which supports WiLink 7.0.

This means that the hardware definitely supports Miracast, Wi-Fi Direct as well as FM radio.

I believe that this will make the intrinsic value of the international Z10 (which I believe sold more than the others, judging by how numbers work) a lot more than it currently is. It would make it a worth-while trade-off for not having LTE but still costing the same.

For me, it would be fantastic since I have an STL100-1 but cannot currently afford the Z30. I happen to be able to acquire a Miracast adaptor for very little.

It is my understanding that this is disabled in the OS and not in the hardware. It seems that it has just been disabled for the Z10 in the new OS (or just removed). Since the STL100-1 requires a different OS from the others because of the hardware differences, it should be possible to make this OS modification for the STL100-1 only.

Now I understand business and product continuity. However, they have already thrown that out of the window by having different hardware in the Z10 devices. The OS's that are compiled have to be done separately because of this. I understand that they have disabled these features on the STL100-1 because of the idea of business continuity. It should be fairly simple to add it to the OS since all the features were in the OS and then removed from the Z10 version.

I am just saying that it makes more sense from a business point of view to make the many users of the STL100-1 very happy to increase recommendations and positives testimonies. I understand that most of the people on CrackBerry are from the western parts of the globe and would have the LTE models but it makes sense that there is a large number of users in the less affluent parts of the world that have the STL100-1 and would like the FM Radio.

I just ask that you remove yourself from prospect of not getting it (if you have the STL100-2/3/4) and think about the positives that it would bring to us.

Anyway, I'm not just posting on here for no reason. I've also raised the issue with the BB Beta Zone and I ask that those who participate there pop by the thread and give their views on it.

https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/threads/view/21484

Please and thanks.
    03-25-14 06:42 PM
    Yeah, still can't believe they won't give us our FM radio, Wi-Fi Direct because of probably business continuity as you said and they go around and give just the STL100-2/3/4 white balance while we can't use it
    They have their stuff that they can support, we want ours too

Posted via CB10
    Nharzhool and rizdragon like this.
    03-25-14 07:03 PM
    Enabling FM radio sounds like a great idea. I was always under the impression the Z10's hardware would not allow it. Never investigated it further. Thanks for the details.
    Nharzhool likes this.
    03-25-14 07:03 PM
    Although it would be nice for STL100-1 owners to get this functionality, the product is sold as "BlackBerry Z10" and selling the same product with different functionality without a way for the lame non techie user to know the difference is a horrible idea, just imagine the amount of support calls / complains and bad reviews from 2/3/4 users that do not understand the difference or why theirs do not have such features and thinks is just broken / deffective... it would by far outweight the benefit...
    03-25-14 08:00 PM
    Although it would be nice for STL100-1 owners to get this functionality, the product is sold as "BlackBerry Z10" and selling the same product with different functionality without a way for the lame non techie user to know the difference is a horrible idea, just imagine the amount of support calls / complains and bad reviews from 2/3/4 users that do not understand the difference or why theirs do not have such features and thinks is just broken / deffective... it would by far outweight the benefit...
    Yet there aren't many calls from STL100-1 users whining that they don't have LTE...so I'm not quite sure that what you're saying makes too much sense.

If it is enabled for STL100-1 devices then how would the STL100-2/3/4 users even find out that certain devices support it.

This is like saying giving the Verizon version of the Z30 Qi Wireless Charging far outweighs the benefit because of the complaints and bad reviews of all the STA100-1/2/4/5/6/9 users. However, this hasn't happened...because people understand this difference.

Mate, I'm sorry but your point is moot because of the already existing differences between the same-named devices.
    raino, menshawy, rizdragon and 1 others like this.
    03-25-14 08:07 PM
    Yet there aren't many calls from STL100-1 users whining that they don't have LTE...so I'm not quite sure that what you're saying makes too much sense.

If it is enabled for STL100-1 devices then how would the STL100-2/3/4 users even find out that certain devices support it.

This is like saying giving the Verizon version of the Z30 Qi Wireless Charging far outweighs the benefit because of the complaints and bad reviews of all the STA100-1/2/4/5/6/9 users. However, this hasn't happened...because people understand this difference.

Mate, I'm sorry but your point is moot because of the already existing differences between the same-named devices.
    Completly different thing, carriers have made clear with all their 4G / LTE / Coverage / etc. advertising that these are features that are network / carrier dependant and will be the same for every phone out there including Apple and Samsung phones, people know this... ask around how many people have even heard the word Miracast in their life, they will say MiraWhat? I understand you want the feature and I would love for you to get it (one more satisfied BB user) but doing such a thing just does not make sense, business, marketing, strategic or any other way...
    Nemzy likes this.
    03-26-14 12:09 AM
    It's totally unfair from Blackberry. Z10 STL 100-1 payed the same rate as STL 100-2/3/4. But we don't have 4G or white balance feature. So BB can activate FM Wifi direct and Miracast as a replacement when hardware supports it.
    rizdragon likes this.
    03-26-14 01:20 AM
    I'm totally agree with this. BlackBerry, please make us STL100-1 user be more proud on our phone. We don't have the LTE and white balance, but please give the miracast, wifi direct and FM radio.

Posted via CB10
    rizdragon likes this.
    03-26-14 04:53 AM
    During development of z10 or alpha series I had read somewhere that they are going to make one international version of z10.. now I realise that may be stl1 is the international version that has the power to support everything and goes internationally for sale hehehe

So time to be proud on stl1

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 06:09 AM
    Yip it was known from a while back, during one of the webcasts that BlackBerry was hosting one of the BlackBerry developers or someone from BlackBerry was asked with regards to this and said it won't happen.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 06:27 AM
    Still crap that they didn't use a micro usb ab port on all BlackBerry 10 phones for USB OTG. Only for the Z30 and PlayBook, but the PB doesn't support USB OTG (OS)

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    03-26-14 06:31 AM
    Imagine the demand for STL100-1.
    03-26-14 06:58 AM
    Where, how do we get these files?
    03-26-14 07:53 AM
    If hardware have it i want them right now blackberry

i did not expected this **** from blackberry
    kolowosh likes this.
    03-26-14 08:01 AM
    why limit the features by way of software when the hardware supports it??? it's beyond me...

others have 4G & LTE, White balance... we don't as our hardware does not support it... should BB restrict their white balance and LTE/4G to make all BBs the same? No... so why are they doing it with the STL100-1??? it's like buying a Farrari but restricting its maximum speed to 120 Km/h... lolz...

if the STL100-1 hardware supports miracast, wifi direct and usb OTG we should get it... i say BB should let every model/make of BB use the hardware capabilities fully... not restrict one models function coz it isn't available on the other models.
    kolowosh likes this.
    03-26-14 08:07 AM
    Then can we all STL 100-1 users start a petition and send to blackberry to enable the features?
    Nharzhool, kolowosh and badiyee like this.
    03-26-14 08:22 AM
    I tried to attract attention of Michael Clewley of BlackBerry on this...and this is what he had to say...
    I have Miracast, FM Radio and Wi-Fi Direct on my Z10!-img_20140326_185646.png

Not sure what to interpret...

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 08:30 AM
    I tried to attract attention of Michael Clewley of BlackBerry on this...and this is what he had to say...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140326_185646.png 
Views:	2406 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	258467

Posted via CB10
    You try asking directly then.
    03-26-14 08:32 AM
    You try asking directly then.
    Here....
    I have Miracast, FM Radio and Wi-Fi Direct on my Z10!-img_20140326_191808.png

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 08:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    This response doesn't make sense. The model is already out. I don't think he read anything there.

This is why I asked that people look at the Beta Zone Because devs monitor that.

Mmm...CB10! Just the tip though...
    03-26-14 09:01 AM
    Completly different thing, carriers have made clear with all their 4G / LTE / Coverage / etc. advertising that these are features that are network / carrier dependant and will be the same for every phone out there including Apple and Samsung phones, people know this... ask around how many people have even heard the word Miracast in their life, they will say MiraWhat? I understand you want the feature and I would love for you to get it (one more satisfied BB user) but doing such a thing just does not make sense, business, marketing, strategic or any other way...
    Funny thing is that BlackBerry purposely didn't put an LTE radio in the STL100-1. The SoC supports it.

Also, in most of the world where the STL100-1 is sold, LTE isn't well known or distributed.

How does it NOT make sense?! They've already done it with the STA100-3 and Qi charging. You're picking nits that aren't even there.

There isn't much they need to do. It is a bit of software tweaking.

Your response makes it seem like you're arguing the point just to argue the point.

Nobody can use the business continuity excuse anymore, thanks to Verizon and the wireless charging on the Z30.

This should be done and there is no good reason why not.

03-26-14 09:07 AM
    It all comes down to licensing, blackberry wrote off millions of z10s, so they don't want to pay the licensing fees to support those devices. Even tho the hardware supports it. Another way for BlackBerry to save a few bucks although under the disguise of brand continuity or whatever else ppl are trying to defend BlackBerry choice for.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 09:19 AM
    It all comes down to licensing, blackberry wrote off millions of z10s, so they don't want to pay the licensing fees to support those devices. Even tho the hardware supports it. Another way for BlackBerry to save a few bucks although under the disguise of brand continuity or whatever else ppl are trying to defend BlackBerry choice for.

Posted via CB10
    Miracast, FM Radio and Wi-Fi Direct are standards that don't require licensing fees.

There are no fees to pay...

Remember that they also wrote-down the Q10 and Q5 but THOSE got Miracast.

extisis likes this.
    03-26-14 09:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    That model isn't out?
    What the heck am I holding in my hands and have been using for the last 8 months then?? :P

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 09:43 AM
    That model isn't out?
    What the heck am I holding in my hands and have been using for the last 8 months then?? :P

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I was a bit confused there...I thought that I was in some kind of Truman Show situation and it's all some giant joke.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    03-26-14 10:00 AM
71 123