Now with stories of BB's imminent hardware sector demise, what's the point really? Will I end up with an unsupported device in 5 months?

I started out with HTCs in the mid 2000s, then switched to Apple, and I was really excited to try out my first BB phone ever but now I'm just going to look for an iPhone 5. Sigh.
    Nonocrack likes this.
    08-22-13 12:39 PM
    People have been saying a lot of things about BlackBerry. Including that they would be bankrupt(since2011), BlackBerry 10 wouldn't launch(here we are with their fourth BlackBerry 10 phone to launch in a couple if months) and yes for over a years now that they would be sold.

Yes the situation isn't great but I would really be skeptical of a lot of it.

If anything why not buy a cheap used Z10?

Regardless I hope you're happy with you're new iPhone 5. It's a pretty good piece.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 12:43 PM
    Now with stories of BB's imminent hardware sector demise, what's the point really? Will I end up with an unsupported device in 5 months?

I started out with HTCs in the mid 2000s, then switched to Apple, and I was really excited to try out my first BB phone ever but now I'm just going to look for an iPhone 5. Sigh.
    Dude get a z10 its awesome!

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 12:44 PM
    Well the Z10 going for $200 in the employee "fire sale" was mighty tempting... but the risk is too high. I think it's mighty likely (and a best case scenario) that BB sell the hardware division and stay a software company.

What would even happen to the Zs and Qs at that point? Anyone know/have guesses?
    08-22-13 12:47 PM
    Got to agree the z10 is Excellent and I'm far from a blackberry fanboy. Get one you won't regret it..

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 12:48 PM
    Well the Z10 going for $200 in the employee "fire sale" was mighty tempting... but the risk is too high. I think it's mighty likely (and a best case scenario) that BB sell the hardware division and stay a software company.

What would even happen to the Zs and Qs at that point? Anyone know/have guesses?
    Risking $200 is too high a risk?

The Z10 is pretty awesome.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 12:55 PM
    Risking $200 is too high a risk?

Posted via CB10
    For something that might just end up being an unsupported brick? Yes.
    08-22-13 12:56 PM
    I'm kinda curious now that it's been brought up...I don't want a different phone because the Z10 is MY perfect phone. But, IF BlackBerry sells everything off and disappears as a viable company, would we still be able to use our phones on our carriers networks? My Z10 is my personal phone, not a business phone, and I use it exclusively. Just wondering.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 01:02 PM
    For something that might just end up being an unsupported brick? Yes.
    I was just asking, not being snarky. If we're defining risk as magnitude of outcome X likelihood, 200 would be the max, right? Dinner out with friends, four months of cable, less than a week of daycare,...it depends how important $200 is to you, and you've answered that.

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    08-22-13 01:05 PM

They would still be running they aren't dependent like the old BlackBerry phones on the BlackBerry network. They would continue to operate.

Posted via CB10
    beamolite and moody like this.
    08-22-13 01:08 PM
    There's no point in getting a z10, q10 or any other BlackBerry. The device has peaked. There won't be anymore improvements and devs won't make apps for a platform that may not exist anymore.

Posted via CB10 on my Black Z10.
    08-22-13 01:08 PM
    I'm kinda curious now that it's been brought up...I don't want a different phone because the Z10 is MY perfect phone. But, IF BlackBerry sells everything off and disappears as a viable company, would we still be able to use our phones on our carriers networks? My Z10 is my personal phone, not a business phone, and I use it exclusively. Just wondering.

Posted via CB10
    Yes you would. As I stated above they aren't dependent on a special network anymore. BBM may not work if the company disappears but likely all other things would.

Hell when palm got shut down by hp their phones weren't even launched but they worked and still do to this day.

Posted via CB10
    that_maynard likes this.
    08-22-13 01:10 PM
    I always put a bottle of scotch next to me when reading some of the ignorant replies some members here make.

No more BB10 support, yeah.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    08-22-13 01:10 PM

BlackBerry is not going anywhere no matter what happens.

Get a Z, you can pick up a brand new one for dirt cheap these days

Z10_10.2.0.1xxx
    beamolite likes this.
    08-22-13 01:12 PM
    There's no point in getting a z10, q10 or any other BlackBerry. The device has peaked. There won't be anymore improvements and devs won't make apps for a platform that may not exist anymore.

You basically summed it up. No ecosystem, no nothing. Sigh. I'm pretty sad about that. I wanted BB to survive and thrive and I wanted to join the ranks of BB users... I'm sold on the functionality but not on what support it'll get.
    08-22-13 01:13 PM
    Even if the company was broken up, whoever bought the hardware division would have to support the old phones for a while. The phones will still work on your phone company's wireless network and you could still sideload new android apps to the phone. And that's a worst case scenario. So don't worry and go out and buy a Z10.
    08-22-13 01:15 PM

Hope that was a joke because that is the most moronic thing I heard all day.

10.2 is around the corner which is loaded with goodies and tons of amazing apps made for bb10 are out daily. They are also releasing the z30 which will be a bigger screen and of course my favorite bbm cross platform. My bbm friend list will grow again.

Z10_10.2.0.1xxx
    sklotz2000, BB10QNX, moody and 2 others like this.
    08-22-13 01:17 PM
    - Man this same thing just keeps coming up .. will I have a unsupported device .. blah blah ..

Here is something I had posted on an another forum discussion

"- 1. The company won't close or it's services won't go away. why you may ask? They never said we are shutting it down, they never said we are bankrupt and dead. They said they are looking at ways to bring back the company into profitability, i.e by the means of a 'Partnership', 'Selling the company', going 'Private'.

So Basically the Blackberry services won't go away. Your phones will receive periodic updates and so on.

P.S: Don't just blatantly believe what's the media say's, read into things a bit more.

Have a good day"
    08-22-13 01:20 PM
    You basically summed it up. No ecosystem, no nothing. Sigh. I'm pretty sad about that. I wanted BB to survive and thrive and I wanted to join the ranks of BB users... I'm sold on the functionality but not on what support it'll get.
    Look dude, anybody here using a bb10 Device will say it is amazing! It's powered by qnx which is what probably powers your car like for the last 30 days. Bb10 is new technology and will grow to be the best. IOS is a sinking ship as it is starting to become what the old bbos was. "Outdated"

If you made your decision already then good luck and maybe we will see you in the future. If you haven't then I suggest you try out a Z or Q. Once you start using it you will love it! Then you have 30 to return it or price match.

Best of luck!

Z10_10.2.0.1xxx
    beamolite, moody and chris8189 like this.
    08-22-13 01:23 PM
    @rohit_k

That's what I'm saying. People just don't understand. Takes time and patience

Z10_10.2.0.1xxx
    Rohit_K likes this.
    08-22-13 01:25 PM
    If your device is an unsupported one in 5 months, i will pay you back full for your original price.
    anon(2313227), moody and Nonocrack like this.
    08-22-13 01:26 PM
    Haha I see the game here....

Ya bud z10 is awesome get it or dont.....if you're trying to troll CB through a sinister angle just go....we dont want those types here. cheers

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 01:28 PM
    That's the problem with BB fanboys. I want to be one, but BB is gonna have to work harder to make me one than what they're doing now.

Any negative words or even concerns about investing in a BB phone and fanboys are all over you like white on rice...
    08-22-13 01:41 PM
    That's the problem with BB fanboys. I want to be one, but BB is gonna have to work harder to make me one than what they're doing now.

Any negative words or even concerns about investing in a BB phone and fanboys are all over you like white on rice...

You asked us about the z10 we answered...people here love it.

The fanboy nonsense is nonsense. People here like their phones, and they have answered you. Should be good enough no?...no replies required right?

Cheers hope you choose the z10 its a very nice phone.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 01:46 PM

Well. You're guessing there, and you're asking us to guess as well, it's pointless.

BlackBerry will be around for a long time, worst case they could trim their workforce down to a thousand and just run the company with the bare minimum, ie down size, they would then start turning a profit on their operation and get on the road to recovery, but all that is guesswork.

Just get the dam phone. You'll love it.
    BlackBerry ain't going anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    damien kupuku and miker476 like this.
    08-22-13 01:47 PM
248 123 ...