Hello,

I bought a BlackBerry Z10 on eBay.
    I wonder if there are ways to make sure the device's OS/firmware/anything else has not been tempered with. Or, if the device may have been compromised, to make sure all trojan horses are fully erased.

Or do you have to buy only sealed packages to be sure?

Thanks
    11-02-15 08:45 AM
    BlackBerry devices aren't like iOS/Android/Windows Phone devices - the chances of malware even existing for them is pretty unlikely. The probable reason? They don't have enough market share for hackers/crackers/script kiddies or some other malcontents to even care about messing with which works out for the best (ok, I'm being facetious here, really).

Anyway, my suggestion would be the same as mentioned above but realize that when you do an actual security wipe on the Z10 you should a) have it plugged into the AC adapter or connected to a USB power source of some kind just to be safe and b) the security wipe can take anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes depending. It's not the same on every device out there, not even if you had two Z10s side by side: one of them would take longer than the other, it's just how things work out.

So, be aware of those two points and you'll be fine. Personally if you really want to be absolutely sure, get an autoloader for a current developer build (2789 is the latest and potentially the last one we'll see for some time) and install that on the device and then do a secure wipe after it's installed. Whole process could be done in under an hour barring any potential issues that may crop up which I can't say for sure will or will not happen - some people do experience very long secure wipe times so that's something to be aware of also.

Congrats on the purchase, hope you got a fair price for it or at least you feel it was fair, and welcome to the BB10 party.
    If it had been tampered with it wouldn't boot.

Go to Settings- Security and Privacy- Security Wipe, make sure it doesn't give you a warning about BlackBerry Protect and hit Delete Data.

Job done.
    11-02-15 09:15 AM
    BlackBerry devices aren't like iOS/Android/Windows Phone devices - the chances of malware even existing for them is pretty unlikely. The probable reason? They don't have enough market share for hackers/crackers/script kiddies or some other malcontents to even care about messing with which works out for the best (ok, I'm being facetious here, really).

Anyway, my suggestion would be the same as mentioned above but realize that when you do an actual security wipe on the Z10 you should a) have it plugged into the AC adapter or connected to a USB power source of some kind just to be safe and b) the security wipe can take anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes depending. It's not the same on every device out there, not even if you had two Z10s side by side: one of them would take longer than the other, it's just how things work out.

So, be aware of those two points and you'll be fine. Personally if you really want to be absolutely sure, get an autoloader for a current developer build (2789 is the latest and potentially the last one we'll see for some time) and install that on the device and then do a secure wipe after it's installed. Whole process could be done in under an hour barring any potential issues that may crop up which I can't say for sure will or will not happen - some people do experience very long secure wipe times so that's something to be aware of also.

Congrats on the purchase, hope you got a fair price for it or at least you feel it was fair, and welcome to the BB10 party.
    jas1978 likes this.
    11-02-15 08:08 PM
    Don't call it a "developer" build. Those are specifically for app developers to test their apps and are crippled OSs with some basic apps missing - like the media player, file manager and picture viewer. Some people actually find the BlackBerry Developer site, download the autoloader, then complain about the missing apps.

You mention the good OS that can be found on this forum, but it's a full OS, not a "developer build". There is a difference, and I don't want the OP to go Googling the wrong OS.

Posted via CB10
    jas1978 and ppeters914 like this.
    11-02-15 11:33 PM