that is all... i was looking foward to playing around with that part
    04-02-13 12:21 PM
    What good would Balance do for you if you don't have BES10 managing the business side of the phone? I do agree that individual user profiles would be cool so you could set up the phone to have different personalities but, that is different from Balance.
    04-02-13 12:25 PM
    Well, I agree with the OP. I think not opening this feature up without BES really restricts a whole small business or home business segment out of this feature and that socks big time. It also removes a huge selling point out of the equation for BlackBerry 10, which is not the best strategy when you are fighting from behind. BlackBerry really ought to open up this feature to everyone, enterprise or not.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 12:29 PM
    If you have kids, being able to put it into "Kid" mode would be really nice. Games only, option to restrict data and phone calls...
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-02-13 12:30 PM
    Nice idea, like Guest mode on Windows.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 12:32 PM
    This was my thought when I first heard that balance would be available to BES customers only. I'm not on BES, but there are definitely certain apps and functions I use more at work than play. Plus it would just be fun to experiment with.
    04-02-13 12:39 PM
    Listen here, I have BES10 and currently, Balance is pretty f**king useless. I spend 95% of my time in personal, as everything from Work comes into my Hub for the most part.

Having said that, BES10, like BB10 is very much in its infancy. Balance will definitely be more useful in the near future. You seem upset like others who were either misinformed about, or misunderstood Balance from the beginning. BES10 is dope for an organization. BlackBerry Work Drives (BES10-only) allows you to securely access shared network drives. Amazing!
    04-02-13 12:42 PM
    What I ultimately mean is, Balance has been inconvenient. Sure, there are some settings I can go over in BES10, but what people (including the OP) have in the mind about Balance... It doesn't even work that way on BES10. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

"I want THIS here, and THIS here" - it doesn't work that way, really. Apps are different, partition is different. You have to "allow" apps for the work side.

Having said all of this, I think Balance would be a cool consumer feature if they made it flexible for the way a consumer would want to use it.

Listen here, I have BES10 and currently, Balance is pretty f**king useless. I spend 95% of my time in personal, as everything from Work comes into my Hub for the most part.

Having said that, BES10, like BB10 is very much in its infancy. Balance will definitely be more useful in the near future. You seem upset like others who were either misinformed about, or misunderstood Balance from the beginning. BES10 is dope for an organization. BlackBerry Work Drives (BES10-only) allows you to securely access shared network drives. Amazing!
    04-02-13 12:44 PM
    Let me just say this. Having an enterprise activation on the work side will mostly suck for all of you because you'll be restricted way beyond your wildest dreams. I can say this from personal specific experience. I don't think many small/home businesses have the skills, tools and knowledge to effectively manage a non-BES work image for the phone let alone testing out apps on new major releases etc. IMHO this is a complete non-issue for the Z10
    04-02-13 12:49 PM
    This was my thought when I first heard that balance would be available to BES customers only. I'm not on BES, but there are definitely certain apps and functions I use more at work than play. Plus it would just be fun to experiment with.
    Agree.
    piper975 likes this.
    04-02-13 01:05 PM
    After using BES10 and Balance since February 5th, I whole-heartedly agree with this. High five!

Let me just say this. Having an enterprise activation on the work side will mostly suck for all of you because you'll be restricted way beyond your wildest dreams. I can say this from personal specific experience. I don't think many small/home businesses have the skills, tools and knowledge to effectively manage a non-BES work image for the phone let alone testing out apps on new major releases etc. IMHO this is a complete non-issue for the Z10
    04-02-13 01:08 PM
    If you have kids, being able to put it into "Kid" mode would be really nice. Games only, option to restrict data and phone calls...
    If I'm not mistaken, Windows Phone 8 has such a "Kids mode" feature. Maybe other companies will take notice and implement such choices going forward.
    04-02-13 01:19 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, Windows Phone 8 has such a "Kids mode" feature. Maybe other companies will take notice and implement such choices going forward.
    You are correct.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    04-02-13 01:25 PM
    Go into Settings > Security and Privacy > Parental Controls. Would this not accomplish the same thing? Set the individual features once, then all you have to do it flip the general switch for Parental Controls.
    04-02-13 01:35 PM
    So let me get the overall message of this thread straight: you want your Phone to tell you what you can and can't use on personal time? Don't most people with a work device with IT policies usually look for ways to get AROUND the IT policy? Now people are wanting it without it being a requirement?
    04-02-13 01:39 PM
    I was also disappointing when I found this out. I may not be part of a huge corporation with an IT department but that doesn't mean I don't have a use for another level of security. Why not allow us the more secure partition?

I for one would love if Blackberry opened up Balance to all.
    04-02-13 01:41 PM
    Thanks OP for bringing this up. I for one, would have liked a "Balance" like feature without BES as I would like to completely separate my work workspace from my personal workspace. E.g. I have a set of contacts that are specifc to work only (professional contacts) and other contacts being personal. Lets say, I have two Jims in my contact list, one personal friend, the other professional work contact (customer/client), when I email/text/call, I may type "Jim" and now, both Jims will show up. My nightmare will be to accidentally send a personal email to the wrong Jim or vice-versa (confidential client privilege information to the friend). That applies to texting or calling (especially using voice command, e.g. Jim Wong vs. Jim Wang). It would have been really nice to be able to separate work from personal workspace even locally on the phone.
    04-02-13 01:45 PM
    Again, Balance isn't the beautiful flower garden that people are picturing in their heads. They may have the intent to make it like that some day, but it shouldn't have been advertised as much as it was because now people think it's something that it isn't.

I was also disappointing when I found this out. I may not be part of a huge corporation with an IT department but that doesn't mean I don't have a use for another level of security. Why not allow us the more secure partition?

I for one would love if Blackberry opened up Balance to all.
    04-02-13 01:46 PM
    that is all... i was looking foward to playing around with that part
    Lets look at this. Balance is for a work and personal profile. If your work requires to have separate profiles, then get them to install BES 10. Do you know what Balance does for you? Do you know that it can remote wipe your phone back to factory specs? Seems likes a pretty powerful feature to have in everyone's hands.
    04-02-13 01:57 PM
    Well, I agree with the OP. I think not opening this feature up without BES really restricts a whole small business or home business segment out of this feature and that socks big time. It also removes a huge selling point out of the equation for BlackBerry 10, which is not the best strategy when you are fighting from behind. BlackBerry really ought to open up this feature to everyone, enterprise or not.

Posted via CB10
    Some phone providers offer this as a service. That solves the problem.
    04-02-13 01:58 PM
    Again, Balance isn't the beautiful flower garden that people are picturing in their heads. They may have the intent to make it like that some day, but it shouldn't have been advertised as much as it was because now people think it's something that it isn't.
    I dont think anyone wants the exact same version as the corporate version, just a partition that we can password protect and stick our more sensitive items behind.
    04-02-13 02:12 PM
    I run a small business. When I heard about Balance I was thinking anyone could separate personal and business. Really sucks because I was looking forward to it. Oh well. Maybe they might come up and update that will allow us to do it.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 11:49 AM
    Lets look at this. Balance is for a work and personal profile. If your work requires to have separate profiles, then get them to install BES 10. Do you know what Balance does for you? Do you know that it can remote wipe your phone back to factory specs? Seems likes a pretty powerful feature to have in everyone's hands.
    Doesn't everyone have the ability to remote wipe their phone to factory spec. with BlackBerry Protect?

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 12:02 PM
    Either way. I think BlackBerry missed the boat on this one.

They should have offered a small business Balance where it's not about downloading corporate apps, etc. But more about having the whole phone have a separation from work and personal.

Like one user gave an example, it would be nice to have work and personal contacts separated and not just by the contacts app. I know there has been a couple of scare for me sending the wrong email to a co-worker.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 12:06 PM
    But that has been a "good idea" based on the average users misinterpretation of Balance. That's like a company inventing something specific, and someone saying they "missed the boat" because it wasn't general enough that it included them as a target demographic.

Yes, the misconception of Balance is a dandy idea. Hopefully BlackBerry will offer this

Either way. I think BlackBerry missed the boat on this one.

They should have offered a small business Balance where it's not about downloading corporate apps, etc. But more about having the whole phone have a separation from work and personal.

Like one user gave an example, it would be nice to have work and personal contacts separated and not just by the contacts app. I know there has been a couple of scare for me sending the wrong email to a co-worker.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 12:20 PM
31 12