TLDR:
    I have this cool Z10 phone, it's rad. however, some intuitive things just aren't present, so I've noticed in my brief few hours fiddling with it. This is a long post, so the main question, if you wish to skip the diatribe that follows, is this: Is it possible to assign custom icons to the email accounts that appear in the Hub's notification sidebar?

The latest thing that's been somewhat disappointing, although not too much (just surprises me how some things would seemingly be easy to implement and stick right out at you as a new user, but somehow they aren't determined to be important at development time -- or is the problem just one of deadlines and too much to do.. who knows.. what would be nice is to see a laundry list of "to do" bug fixes and planned features so that it would cut down on disappointment as well as the noise in the forum comprised by speculative chatter -- isn't this a no-brainer if you're a software developer? Let your customers know what's coming to save you the hassle of having to re-read the same things over and over (when you could be working) and of course to help your customers feel better about their purchase and the prospects of future features?). OK that was a long parenthesis and not purely relevant to the question, but I am frustrated OK? I thought this new hotness was going to be light years ahead of my BB 8530 -- yes I acknowledge that there is quite a bit of innovation, a lot of which I probably haven't discovered yet, but I sort of expect the design to be informed by the cumulative wisdom and experience from the successes, failures, and lessons learned from the many past devices over the years. Truly, this is the first high end smartphone that I've ever bought, even though I've lived on the internet since I discovered it as a freshman in highschool in 1991. I know that this sort of disappointment has its roots in the development cycle and how deadlines often lead to a less than perfect result.. but forgive me if I expect more. Corporations are supposed to be great at leveraging past knowledge to create amazing things -- what happened? Maybe these will be the only couple of complaints I'll have, but that they've surfaced almost immediately makes me wonder what other limitations I'm going to discover, and will this end up being a huge waste of time? I'm open to criticism of my perspective if it will make me feel optimistic about the future.

Anyway, the latest thing is when I have a few email accounts added, and see my blinky red LED, of course I have no idea which email account it is (and thus can't decide if I should look at it or not -- is it the yahoo account that gets spammed day in and day out? is it my sales@ account which equals=chaching (and signifies time to get to work)?). Well ok, so I pick up the phone, swipe it open, and swipe over the notifications sidebar. Hmm, several "envelope" icons are visible, but which is which?

So, how about the ability to make custom icons for various email accounts displayed in the HUB? Even something as simple as overlaying the first letter of the Display name or Account name would be sufficient, although I like to play with Illustrator and would prefer to use my own artwork. Either way though..

Since I have the floor, I'd like to take this time to complain again about the lack of profile customization on a per-account basis. On my 8530, for the sales@ account, I have a snazzy "cha-ching" cash register sound that plays upon receipt of a new message. For the shipping@ account, it's a jet flying by. For the info@ account, it's a radio tower doing some morse code. And so on.. each one of these tells me something different and I don't even have to look at the phone to know what I need to do next. When we are bombarded by so many messages, it is extremely important that we are not distracted by every single spam message that comes in my yahoo account, but I still need to be notified when something comes into the important accounts. I just don't get the reasoning for why the notifications have regressed so drastically.. I know this has been said before, but doesn't such a thing just baffle the rest of you too?

Like mentioned before, if only I knew what the development team had planned, I could know that (perhaps) there's nothing to worry about, I don't actually have to worry about having to return the phone in the next two weeks, and I can spare everyone of having to read the same expression of bewilderment at such an ... oversight? .. over and over again. Is there a blog somewhere where the developers say what is coming? Doesn't anyone else find the lack of such (if that is the case) outrageous? I mean, not even because of the selfish point of view where the customer might feel entitlement, but just for the sake of saving themselves the pain of having to weed through all this noise in the forums. Or is there a more official feature request channel? I'm sorry guys, but after so many years of having these opportunities for getting feedback from your customers, shouldn't you take advantage of the capability of information going the other way, for your own benefit as well as to embrace the concept of customer outreach and goodwill?
    Last edited by keyboard_cat; 04-06-13 at 01:51 AM.
    04-06-13 01:11 AM
    TLDNR

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 01:33 AM
    TLDNR

Posted via CB10
    I did. Twice. Wish I cudve said tldnr

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    04-06-13 01:40 AM
    That's why I summarized in the first sentence silly :P
    04-06-13 01:50 AM
    I read, fully concur and wanted to rant too!
    04-06-13 02:10 AM
    I think I read it.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 02:14 AM
    Holy walls of text batman lol

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 03:28 AM