I got to use the HTC One earlier this week for a bit. I loved the way it felt. The finish reminded me of the BlackBerry P 9981 -Porsche. (I'd actually like to see BlackBerry come out with a similar finish.) Beyond that, I agree. It's full of too much bloat ware. You would have to spend time deleting it. It reminds me of when I got my HP laptops and I had to spend a bunch of time deleting programs like Snapfish, etc. I'm still not sold on Android either.
    05-02-13 03:21 AM
    It's unfortunate for you and others who love to hate Android that within the last couple of years BB has chosen to rest on its laurels and wait for something to happen rather than go all out and innovate for themselves, forcing some people who were searching for a more robust mobile experience to adopt the Android platform and put it to the test. It's unfortunate that during this time people have gotten to know the ins and outs of the platform, what it can and can't do, and what is and isn't false rhetoric from people that drink BlackBerry kool-aid just as much as they condone "iSheep" and "fandroids." It's unfortunate that people don't hesitate to call out what's right and what's wrong whenever someone makes some wild accusation at the most, and something that's half-true at the least. One thing I guarantee though, is that if people stopped talking altogether about ANDROID on a BLACKBERRY site, you wouldn't see people "rabidly defending it" at all. One thing has to change in order for this to happen. People wouldn't have anything to defend if BS wasn't spread in the first place.
    It is further unfortunate that posters forget that it is unnecessary on a BlackBerry site to use putdowns for a popular Android device in order to make a BlackBerry sound good.

The Z10 is a great device in its own merit, with room to grow. It has great potential and as an early adopter I like it so much that I'm willing to give it time. I see no need to put down ,my SGIII before saying I love my Z10, and I don't care what site I'm on, if I read unnecessary trashing of a device, I'll call it out.

Had the OP not unnecessarily trashed Android for the sake of BlackBerry, those of us who Android devices well would not have written.
    05-02-13 03:23 AM
    Ah, this is a BB site. You should expect android haters. You want me go hang out on android central??? I think android sux. I'm looking forward to the OEMs adopting Mozilla. Why pay MS billions of dolllars (read 8.8 projected annually by 2017) when you can get something else for free.

Awe. BB rested on its laurels. You did what any smart consumer should do and switched, and 'put it to the test'. You made your choice. Make BB pay for resting on their laurels. Don't give them the time of day.

The droid-lovers are hilarious. You act like there isn't a sh1t-ton of BS about BB on here. I can't believe how biased you people are. Always here swooping in to save your beloved platform on a BB site from all this perceived 'BS'. Well guess what. NO one refuted the OPs actual statements.

Heres the thing. I know for a fact that there is tons of BS on every single other site about BB. I don't care. I'm not there constantly defending every little thing I perceive as a slight against BB.

You really have a lot of weight in 'droid. I get that. But people gotta realise that what they view as BS is often just their opinion. Its pretty ridiculous how many 'droid fans think their opinion = fact. I don't know how some of you sleep at night if you can't handle a little bad perception around 'droid.

Fact: GOOGLE makes money off of mining your data. Everything they do is in pursuit of that. Just because you are okay/happy/accepting of that doesn't mean its BS, or that others have to accept it to.

So if you have an operating system made by a company whos NO. 1 objective is mining data, I consider them to be hackers, and their operating system malware. There are no logical leaps here. Just as you say BB 'rested on their laurels'. I completely disagree with this and think its completely ridiculous (who else - NO ONE - made the acquisitions they have after the release of iphone including one huge one QNX and have a brand new phone on a brand new operating system - resting on their laurels? I guess doing all that should take a week or two, ahhahaahahha), but you don't see me calling it complete BS or going on a crusade on android central in defence of BB.

People should learn to be happy with their platform and not feel the need to go into someone elses backyard and make a big commotion because they have different views.

yum, blackberry cool-aid.
    In case you didn't know, PantlessPenguin owns a Z10. Reeneebob owns a Z10. I own a Z10, use a 9930 for work, and own several BB devices.

So......we own Z10s and are on a BlackBerry site discussing a thread that compares the Z10 with Android devices. Unless you recently bought a Z10, you are on a BlackBerry site haranguing Z10 owners over our opinions of Android devices we own while on an iPhone.

Which is more disingenuous?
    pantlesspenguin and reeneebob like this.
    05-02-13 03:33 AM
    As I type this from my Z10 I have to ask, captain bb10 crusader, why you troll the z10 forum when you don't own one, use one regularly and if I remember correctly use an iPhone at the moment?

The only one trying to start a platform war here is you, the disingenuous one who attacks posters POSTING FROM THE DEVICE THIS FORUM IS ABOUT as android lovers when you won't put your money where your mouth is and get the device you lecture us (the actual users) about.

I don't own a single android device right now except the android runtime BlackBerry built into my Z10.

Key difference is I'm not a blind fanatic, and I don't post solely to cause trouble.

Can you say the same?

Posted via CB10
    Ah.....beat me to it.....cool.....
    reeneebob likes this.
    05-02-13 03:37 AM
    None of the fandroids said anything about my last post :..(

I chose Android so that I could bypass my hospital's security crap. Yes, Android had hack code to skip security settings. No one disputed it....because it actually happened! BlackBerry, with their terrible security, would not let allow it...BB wanted me to follow the rules. How is this a secure OS if there are apps whose intention is to bypass security rules!???!

And no one mentioned, or responded, or refuted, my statement about how you can not make Android as secure as BB10. It's NOT POSSIBLE from a PROGRAMMING/CODING perspective to duplicate things like 'Balance' that are OS level...with patch code? You had to have PLANNED it from the beginning.

Instead of arguing opinions, one of the fandroids should address my last post...if they get time and all.
    First, it is not imperative that anyone answer anything.
    Secondly, as an IT professional and a manager of the BES admins at work, what you did is so disruptive to the infrastructure of the company that I have to bite my tongue to not give my exact opinion on it.
    Third, a hospital would be on BES if it values security, as it is the most robust solution for corporations. If it isn't it deserves what it got. So as an IT professional I am more shocked by the lack of foresight of a hospital than by your hacking the hospital's infrastructure.
    Fourth, heard of Knox? I am interested in seeing it.
    There.....that is my take on your post. Really can't go farther with it. And I mean, I really can't. There is a point where on a forum you have to hold your tongue. This is that point for me.
    05-02-13 03:44 AM
    Android fanboy search using Google difference between microkernel and monolithic kernel.
    After that troll in some other forum.
    05-02-13 03:49 AM
    I'd like to make a rather different point from the above.
    The HTC One is pretty and performs well. It may go a way to restore HTC's battered reputation. But it has a dark secret which you can find on the iFxit site. This is repairability.
    IFixit have the following ratings:
    Z10 8/10
    G3 7/10
    One 1/10 - they identified it is almost impossible to replace even the battery.

The G3, G4, Z10 and Q10 may not be as pretty as the One. But if anything goes wrong with them, they can be repaired easily. If anything goes wrong with the One, it's a scrap job. That means that once out of warranty, if anything goes wrong it is worthless.
    In short, like a Rolls-Royce or a Lamborghini, its depreciation is tremendous after the warranty period.
    If your disposable income is such that this is not important, the One is fine. And many people do not take this sort of thing into their buying decisions anyway even though they may not have that sort of money.
    05-02-13 03:50 AM
    "So as an IT professional I am more shocked by the lack of foresight of a hospital than by your hacking the hospital's infrastructure."
    I assume that the hospital is in the US where things may be different. But here in the UK, the people who run hospital IT are not usually at the top of their profession, and are probably instructed by managers who would not qualify for management positions in the US. I suspect that even in the US, there are places like this.
    05-02-13 03:53 AM
    I don't get the point of bashing a particular device. Smartphone choice is personal and complex. To distill it down to one or two point scoring metrics seems Like a gross simplification.

Buy an HTC One if you like, I hope you enjoy it. For me, my Z10 is ideal for me. Key words being *for me*.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 04:04 AM
    It's unfortunate for you and others who love to hate Android that within the last couple of years BB has chosen to rest on its laurels and wait for something to happen rather than go all out and innovate for themselves, forcing some people who were searching for a more robust mobile experience to adopt the Android platform and put it to the test. It's unfortunate that during this time people have gotten to know the ins and outs of the platform, what it can and can't do, and what is and isn't false rhetoric from people that drink BlackBerry kool-aid just as much as they condone "iSheep" and "fandroids." It's unfortunate that people don't hesitate to call out what's right and what's wrong whenever someone makes some wild accusation at the most, and something that's half-true at the least. One thing I guarantee though, is that if people stopped talking altogether about ANDROID on a BLACKBERRY site, you wouldn't see people "rabidly defending it" at all. One thing has to change in order for this to happen. People wouldn't have anything to defend if BS wasn't spread in the first place.
    I'm voting this post of the year

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-02-13 04:14 AM
    I'd like to make a rather different point from the above.
    The HTC One is pretty and performs well. It may go a way to restore HTC's battered reputation. But it has a dark secret which you can find on the iFxit site. This is repairability.
    IFixit have the following ratings:
    Z10 8/10
    G3 7/10
    One 1/10 - they identified it is almost impossible to replace even the battery.

The G3, G4, Z10 and Q10 may not be as pretty as the One. But if anything goes wrong with them, they can be repaired easily. If anything goes wrong with the One, it's a scrap job. That means that once out of warranty, if anything goes wrong it is worthless.
    In short, like a Rolls-Royce or a Lamborghini, its depreciation is tremendous after the warranty period.
    If your disposable income is such that this is not important, the One is fine. And many people do not take this sort of thing into their buying decisions anyway even though they may not have that sort of money.
    So, after my 2 year warranty it's a junk job? Thank god. And of course that's why god gave us insurance.

(Although cant remember a time I used a phone for 2 years anyway).
    pantlesspenguin and mush10 like this.
    05-02-13 04:17 AM
    "So as an IT professional I am more shocked by the lack of foresight of a hospital than by your hacking the hospital's infrastructure."
    I assume that the hospital is in the US where things may be different. But here in the UK, the people who run hospital IT are not usually at the top of their profession, and are probably instructed by managers who would not qualify for management positions in the US. I suspect that even in the US, there are places like this.
    Good point.

In my agency, he would be sacked for that little stunt of which he's so proud.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    05-02-13 04:17 AM
    05-02-13 04:18 AM
    I don't get the point of bashing a particular device. Smartphone choice is personal and complex. To distill it down to one or two point scoring metrics seems Like a gross simplification.

Buy an HTC One if you like, I hope you enjoy it. For me, my Z10 is ideal for me. Key words being *for me*.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, but you are reasonable. Many here are not.
    05-02-13 04:20 AM
    I can't fault that list. Thanks very sharing.
    Techradar is usually good for giving the facts

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 04:32 AM
    Yea.. they are advertising that their phone is everything our phone isn't. I don't think they realize that that's a good thing.

My z10 isn't loaded with Android bloat ware.

Posted via CB10

Strange, most of us are eager to sideload!
    05-02-13 04:33 AM
    First, it is not imperative that anyone answer anything.
    Secondly, as an IT professional and a manager of the BES admins at work, what you did is so disruptive to the infrastructure of the company that I have to bite my tongue to not give my exact opinion on it.
    Third, a hospital would be on BES if it values security, as it is the most robust solution for corporations. If it isn't it deserves what it got. So as an IT professional I am more shocked by the lack of foresight of a hospital than by your hacking the hospital's infrastructure.
    Fourth, heard of Knox? I am interested in seeing it.
    There.....that is my take on your post. Really can't go farther with it. And I mean, I really can't. There is a point where on a forum you have to hold your tongue. This is that point for me.
    Okay... I thought I read his post wrong. He hacked into his employer's stuff?

Not a whole lot to be said.
    05-02-13 06:25 AM
    Okay... I thought I read his post wrong. He hacked into his employer's stuff?

Not a whole lot to be said.
    He used an Android to hack into his employer's system by bypassing the IT password policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    05-02-13 06:32 AM
    He used an Android to hack into his employer's system by bypassing the IT password policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    So what are we supposed to say to that? I'm somewhat confused.
    05-02-13 06:36 AM
    So what are we supposed to say to that? I'm somewhat confused.
    We're supposed to congratulate him on his ingenuity in hacking into his work system and blame Android for giving him the means to do it, presumably.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 06:40 AM
    you know what i cant understand with regards to the HTC One ? Writers/reviewers/the media are all saying that the HTC one is such a beautiful looking device(hardware) when they are reviewing this device . when it comes the to the Z10 (hardware) its not getting a lot of praises in the looks dept but when i look at the HTC one and the Z10 they are very similar looking devices so what really makes the HTC one better in the looks dept ? i call it hypocrisy from reviewers
    05-02-13 06:59 AM
    you know what i cant understand with regards to the HTC One ? Writers/reviewers/the media are all saying that the HTC one is such a beautiful looking device(hardware) when they are reviewing this device . when it comes the to the Z10 (hardware) its not getting a lot of praises in the looks dept but when i look at the HTC one and the Z10 they are very similar looking devices so what really makes the HTC one better in the looks dept ? i call it hypocrisy from reviewers
    To me they look nearly identical.

I haven't seen the HTC One yet. However, I did see the white Z10 and I preferred the black. Also, I gave heard many people praise the Z10's design.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 07:15 AM

Secondly...things like 'Balance' and other security measures in BB10 can not be duplicated with Android. The separation that BB10 is doing between their work/play partitions is impossible in Linux. It's not a high-level problem where you just hack on a user or some sort of interface. It's outside of Google/AOSP's scope. It's going to have to happen below the OS level and that's in the realm of the OEM's and carriers. So, I would be very surprised if the implementation the OEM's hack up are as seamless as what BB10 has because it's baked into the OS model.

If iOS and Android were designed now, brand NEW, they would do a lot differently. They would do some of what BB10 is doing. For now though, when they copy (and believe me, they will have to copy 'Hub' and 'Balance') it is patch code over an OS NOT BUILT WITH THOSE THINGS IN MIND! It's an afterthought.

So, maybe the OP didn't say things the best way, but the security differences are real. In my opinion, BB10 is the best mobile OS in several areas....let them have some credit.
    OK so you got all pissy that no "fan droid" responded to your drivel, how about an "isheep" - as you lovely people would probably write me off.

First, I don't know what kind of former programmer you are but you clearly didn't work with a lot of Unix and Unix-like systems (and if you did, you either didn't pay attention or just want to troll now).

When you say "the separation of work and play partitions" is impossible for Linux, you're joking, right? Right? Because being a multi-user operating system is one if its tenants.

Moving on, I know Balance is really special and fancy and it seems just SO unique, but um, how do I break this to you -- it wasn't even first.

VMWare showed off the ability to do multiple personas that separate work and personal in early 2011. For Android. And there's a very good chance that wasn't the first either but it was the first time I got to see and test the concept.

Now, the implementation hasn't had much traction, but the idea is basically identical to what BB is doing with Balance - you have a second instance of the OS that you can switch to for different personas and the data between the two remains separate.

You're right in that BBRY built this container strategy into BB10, but make no mistake, Google could build it into Android as well -- in addition to changes OEMs can make at the kernel level and user level to offer a unified view.

Remember, all BlackBerry is doing to bring similar functionary to iOS a s Android is white-labeling Peak's product.

And it's not just Android. Ubuntu already has multi-user support for tablets that can run on its mobile OS. Add in an easy way to seamlessly switch or have a hybrid view model and its again, the same thing.

Considering iOS is OS X and that IS Unix, it's laughable to think Apple couldn't integrate a persona option too. In fact, with iOS it would be even easier since the sandboxing policies are more strict within apps anyway.

So it's great BlackBerry has Balance -- even if it's not actually on the market yet -- but to claim no other OS could do it or that this is special is laughable.

Moreover, and Qbnkelt and other actual IT professionals can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not even sure Balance would even get adoption in the most secure environments. I'd assume that if you're going to require separate security policies and separation on a work-issues device, you'd probably just lock down the device all the way and prevent personal content altogether. For the type of customers that BB, Good, Peak and others think make the market for this product, I have a feeling most who buy the solution probably won't use it the way it's sold. Why? Because dual personas sounds great in theory but in practice it's still a pain in the ***. Just like assholes like you circumvent password policies so you can have faster access to the intranet, people will continue to mix work and personal data when on the same device.

Also -- you seem to be under the impression that under the hood QNX is more powerful and more special than it really is. The reason Android and iOS don't have to build brand new operating systems is because they picked good kernels to begin with. BlackBerry and Microsoft chose cheaply underpinnings for BBOS (which to be fair was an f'ing pager with smartphone features grafted on) and Windows Mobile that required them to rebuild with the NT Kernel and QNX respectively.

From an architectural standpoint, BB10 isn't leaps and bounds ahead of the competition, it just caught up.

Sent from my Z10 because yeah, I have one of those too.
    05-02-13 07:38 AM
    What are we talking about again??

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 08:04 AM

The droid-lovers are hilarious.

Really?? I'm reading your posts. Pretty funny here too. You write a lot and don't say much. I like that. We have lots in common

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 08:07 AM
428 ... 7891011 ...