He used an Android to hack into his employer's system by bypassing the IT password policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    I'll bet he didnt even do that. Just tried to make a point with it.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 08:10 AM
    What are we talking about again??

Posted via CB10
    Over your head

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 08:13 AM
    I'll bet he didnt even do that. Just tried to make a point with it.

Posted via CB10
    From my professional point of view, I hope not.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 08:31 AM
    Awe. BB rested on its laurels. You did what any smart consumer should do and switched, and 'put it to the test'. You made your choice. Make BB pay for resting on their laurels. Don't give them the time of day.
    False. While I was on Android, I always had a secondary 9700 (thanks again, Q!!!) on prepay. You're a dual OS user as well. You know that BB does some things better than iOS and vice versa. If you didn't, you'd stick with one platform that met all your needs.

And yes, BB rested on their laurels and have scrambled to play catch up. I don't think they should have released the Playbook. I think if they had put the time, money, and resources they spent on the Playbook and put it toward developing native apps and functions on BB10. Had they done that, not only would BB10 devices had been delayed, but they could have been released a lot sooner. Likewise they would have had more time to woo third party developers to the platform. If the Z10 had been released at the same time as say the SGS3, along with beefed up native and third party features and apps, things would be a LOT different for BBRY right now.

The droid-lovers are hilarious. You act like there isn't a sh1t-ton of BS about BB on here. I can't believe how biased you people are. Always here swooping in to save your beloved platform on a BB site from all this perceived 'BS'. Well guess what. NO one refuted the OPs actual statements.
    I'd love to know how you came to the conclusion that people who have used/are using multiple platforms and tout the pros and cons of ALL are "biased." THAT'S hilarious. And of course there's a sh1t-ton of BS about BB here, and we refute that too when we see it. But do you notice that? Nope, you're too busy trolling about Android on a BLACKBERRY site to notice. Kinda like how you neglected to notice that yes, the OP's claims have indeed been refuted several times in this thread. Selective reading much?

Heres the thing. I know for a fact that there is tons of BS on every single other site about BB. I don't care. I'm not there constantly defending every little thing I perceive as a slight against BB.
    Nope, there really isn't. It's a phenomenon that's fairly descriptive of BB fanboys that they think bashing and spreading false claims about other platforms makes BB look better. Trust me, it doesn't. It makes you look petty, and that you think BB can't stand on it's own feet and let their products speak for themselves. You have to make them look bad in comparison to something that's actually ahead in the game. Me? I believe the BB10 devices are great just the way they are and have a ton of potential as long as third party support and talent at BBRY get on board.. I don't have to trash other platforms to tout the virtues of BB10. You, on the other hand, your record speaks for itself. How's that for irony?

You really have a lot of weight in 'droid. I get that. But people gotta realise that what they view as BS is often just their opinion. Its pretty ridiculous how many 'droid fans think their opinion = fact. I don't know how some of you sleep at night if you can't handle a little bad perception around 'droid.
    How do I have a lot of weight in Android? Explain that one to me. It's a mobile platform that I use to simplify my life. If that's "weight" to you, then I have nearly as much "weight" in BB, and I can only see that getting stronger with added features and functionality that I currently enjoy in Android.

Also ironic that you claim that Android users claim their opinions as fact, because that's you to a T, Mr. Apps Aren't Important. People have a negative OPINION? That's fine. Who cares? But people spreading absolute misinformation (whether they're doing it on purpose or is just repeating other bad information they took as fact) as a misguided attempt to support BBRY? That's just sad.

Fact: GOOGLE makes money off of mining your data. Everything they do is in pursuit of that. Just because you are okay/happy/accepting of that doesn't mean its BS, or that others have to accept it to.
    THAT'S not what I'm refuting here. Please show me where I say otherwise. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Back? What did you find? Nothing? I figured. What I take issue with is that people think it's ONLY Google that does this, and that they do it for malicious reasons. You can PLAINLY SEE what they do with their information in their Google Now product and targeted advertizing. You honestly think that Google is the only company that sells certain information to third parties? Have you ever signed up for something and had to uncheck a box that says that you consent to having your information given to that service's partners? By using a Google product, you KNOW you're giving consent. And how many companies sell your information anyway after you think you've opted out? If you get a mailer advertising something or a call from a telemarketer, how exactly do you know what company gave them your info?

So if you have an operating system made by a company whos NO. 1 objective is mining data, I consider them to be hackers, and their operating system malware. There are no logical leaps here. Just as you say BB 'rested on their laurels'. I completely disagree with this and think its completely ridiculous (who else - NO ONE - made the acquisitions they have after the release of iphone including one huge one QNX and have a brand new phone on a brand new operating system - resting on their laurels? I guess doing all that should take a week or two, ahhahaahahha), but you don't see me calling it complete BS or going on a crusade on android central in defence of BB.
    So you don't know the definition of hacking and malware. That's cool. And I addressed your other comments above. And no, you don't go on a crusade on AC in defense of BB, you go on a crusade on Crackberry to spread misinformation about Android, which makes no sense whatsoever.

People should learn to be happy with their platform and not feel the need to go into someone elses backyard and make a big commotion because they have different views.
    Practice. What. You. Preach. Your at CRACKBERRY dude. We're here to talk about BlackBerry and how we can put our shiny new Z10's to good use (where's yours, again?) but you'd rather talk about Android and Mozilla. Like I mentioned in another post, it's unfortunate that there are people here that have enough knowledge of Android to squash your agenda. If people stopped talking about Android on a BlackBerry site, these discussions wouldn't have to happen. I don't know why that's such a difficult concept for you to grasp.

yum, blackberry cool-aid.
    And this negates everything in your post right here.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 05-02-13 at 09:25 AM.
    05-02-13 09:00 AM
    pretty sad post if not trolling, especially coming from someone with over 500 posts. you would expect that from a single digit poster
    05-02-13 09:26 AM
    you know what i cant understand with regards to the HTC One ? Writers/reviewers/the media are all saying that the HTC one is such a beautiful looking device(hardware) when they are reviewing this device . when it comes the to the Z10 (hardware) its not getting a lot of praises in the looks dept but when i look at the HTC one and the Z10 they are very similar looking devices so what really makes the HTC one better in the looks dept ? i call it hypocrisy from reviewers
    While the looks are similar in pictures, the quality of materials used in the HTC One is on another levels and when I put my z10 next to a shop display HTC one it kind of made my z10 look cheap

Posted via CB10
    kevinnugent likes this.
    05-02-13 09:48 AM
    OK so you got all pissy that no "fan droid" responded to your drivel, how about an "isheep" - as you lovely people would probably write me off.

First, I don't know what kind of former programmer you are but you clearly didn't work with a lot of Unix and Unix-like systems (and if you did, you either didn't pay attention or just want to troll now).

When you say "the separation of work and play partitions" is impossible for Linux, you're joking, right? Right? Because being a multi-user operating system is one if its tenants.

Moving on, I know Balance is really special and fancy and it seems just SO unique, but um, how do I break this to you -- it wasn't even first.

VMWare showed off the ability to do multiple personas that separate work and personal in early 2011. For Android. And there's a very good chance that wasn't the first either but it was the first time I got to see and test the concept.

Now, the implementation hasn't had much traction, but the idea is basically identical to what BB is doing with Balance - you have a second instance of the OS that you can switch to for different personas and the data between the two remains separate.

You're right in that BBRY built this container strategy into BB10, but make no mistake, Google could build it into Android as well -- in addition to changes OEMs can make at the kernel level and user level to offer a unified view.

Remember, all BlackBerry is doing to bring similar functionary to iOS a s Android is white-labeling Peak's product.

And it's not just Android. Ubuntu already has multi-user support for tablets that can run on its mobile OS. Add in an easy way to seamlessly switch or have a hybrid view model and its again, the same thing.

Considering iOS is OS X and that IS Unix, it's laughable to think Apple couldn't integrate a persona option too. In fact, with iOS it would be even easier since the sandboxing policies are more strict within apps anyway.

So it's great BlackBerry has Balance -- even if it's not actually on the market yet -- but to claim no other OS could do it or that this is special is laughable.

Moreover, and Qbnkelt and other actual IT professionals can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not even sure Balance would even get adoption in the most secure environments. I'd assume that if you're going to require separate security policies and separation on a work-issues device, you'd probably just lock down the device all the way and prevent personal content altogether. For the type of customers that BB, Good, Peak and others think make the market for this product, I have a feeling most who buy the solution probably won't use it the way it's sold. Why? Because dual personas sounds great in theory but in practice it's still a pain in the ***. Just like assholes like you circumvent password policies so you can have faster access to the intranet, people will continue to mix work and personal data when on the same device.

Also -- you seem to be under the impression that under the hood QNX is more powerful and more special than it really is. The reason Android and iOS don't have to build brand new operating systems is because they picked good kernels to begin with. BlackBerry and Microsoft chose cheaply underpinnings for BBOS (which to be fair was an f'ing pager with smartphone features grafted on) and Windows Mobile that required them to rebuild with the NT Kernel and QNX respectively.

From an architectural standpoint, BB10 isn't leaps and bounds ahead of the competition, it just caught up.

Sent from my Z10 because yeah, I have one of those too.
    I am an IT security professional and I will tell you.. Balance would be as effective as our MDM solution we use for BYOD. So basically it would be locked down either way you go... We have over 20,000 android devices on our network that are PERSONAL...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    05-02-13 09:52 AM
    None of the fandroids said anything about my last post :..(

I chose Android so that I could bypass my hospital's security crap. Yes, Android had hack code to skip security settings. No one disputed it....because it actually happened! BlackBerry, with their terrible security, would not let allow it...BB wanted me to follow the rules. How is this a secure OS if there are apps whose intention is to bypass security rules!???!

And no one mentioned, or responded, or refuted, my statement about how you can not make Android as secure as BB10. It's NOT POSSIBLE from a PROGRAMMING/CODING perspective to duplicate things like 'Balance' that are OS level...with patch code? You had to have PLANNED it from the beginning.

Instead of arguing opinions, one of the fandroids should address my last post...if they get time and all.
    Well when a 'fandroid' shows up I'm sure they will. Since I'm platform agnostic and no fanboy for any platform, you apparently don't want my opinion. Can we stop with the cutesy nicknames to condescend to others now? I didn't respond to your post because the minute a poster says something like fandroid or Isheep I stopped reading as to me their opinion is rendered useless by the use of those terms.

And I've never said that android is as or more secure than BB, I just also don't fall into the trap of the ZOMG U WILL GET MALWAREZ garbage that gets spewed around here. Balance is only good if you have a BES ad well, though, and for the general consumer that doesn't generally apply.

I'm sure your employer would be interested to know that you are deliberately circumventing their security though. So kudos, I guess.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 09:57 AM
    To me they look nearly identical.

I haven't seen the HTC One yet. However, I did see the white Z10 and I preferred the black. Also, I gave heard many people praise the Z10's design.

Posted via CB10
    Lol, and I'm the opposite, i think the black z10 looks like unfinished hardware.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 09:58 AM
    you know what i cant understand with regards to the HTC One ? Writers/reviewers/the media are all saying that the HTC one is such a beautiful looking device(hardware) when they are reviewing this device . when it comes the to the Z10 (hardware) its not getting a lot of praises in the looks dept but when i look at the HTC one and the Z10 they are very similar looking devices so what really makes the HTC one better in the looks dept ? i call it hypocrisy from reviewers
    Because it comes down to materials and fit/finish.

And beside a HTC One, the z10 looks like a plastic and glass budget phone next to an aluminum uni body chassis. It's like putting a Honda Civic beside a Bugatti Veyron...

Posted via CB10
    kevinnugent likes this.
    05-02-13 10:06 AM
    False. While I was on Android, I always had a secondary 9700 (thanks again, Q!!!) on prepay. You're a dual OS user as well. You know that BB does some things better than iOS and vice versa. If you didn't, you'd stick with one platform that met all your needs.

And yes, BB rested on their laurels and have scrambled to play catch up. I don't think they should have released the Playbook. I think if they had put the time, money, and resources they spent on the Playbook and put it toward developing native apps and functions on BB10. Had they done that, not only would BB10 devices had been delayed, but they could have been released a lot sooner. Likewise they would have had more time to woo third party developers to the platform. If the Z10 had been released at the same time as say the SGS3, along with beefed up native and third party features and apps, things would be a LOT different for BBRY right now.

I'd love to know how you came to the conclusion that people who have used/are using multiple platforms and tout the pros and cons of ALL are "biased." THAT'S hilarious. And of course there's a sh1t-ton of BS about BB here, and we refute that too when we see it. But do you notice that? Nope, you're too busy trolling about Android on a BLACKBERRY site to notice. Kinda like how you neglected to notice that yes, the OP's claims have indeed been refuted several times in this thread. Selective reading much?

Nope, there really isn't. It's a phenomenon that's fairly descriptive of BB fanboys that they think bashing and spreading false claims about other platforms makes BB look better. Trust me, it doesn't. It makes you look petty, and that you think BB can't stand on it's own feet and let their products speak for themselves. You have to make them look bad in comparison to something that's actually ahead in the game. Me? I believe the BB10 devices are great just the way they are and have a ton of potential as long as third party support and talent at BBRY get on board.. I don't have to trash other platforms to tout the virtues of BB10. You, on the other hand, your record speaks for itself. How's that for irony?

How do I have a lot of weight in Android? Explain that one to me. It's a mobile platform that I use to simplify my life. If that's "weight" to you, then I have nearly as much "weight" in BB, and I can only see that getting stronger with added features and functionality that I currently enjoy in Android.

Also ironic that you claim that Android users claim their opinions as fact, because that's you to a T, Mr. Apps Aren't Important. People have a negative OPINION? That's fine. Who cares? But people spreading absolute misinformation (whether they're doing it on purpose or is just repeating other bad information they took as fact) as a misguided attempt to support BBRY? That's just sad.

THAT'S not what I'm refuting here. Please show me where I say otherwise. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Back? What did you find? Nothing? I figured. What I take issue with is that people think it's ONLY Google that does this, and that they do it for malicious reasons. You can PLAINLY SEE what they do with their information in their Google Now product and targeted advertizing. You honestly think that Google is the only company that sells certain information to third parties? Have you ever signed up for something and had to uncheck a box that says that you consent to having your information given to that service's partners? By using a Google product, you KNOW you're giving consent. And how many companies sell your information anyway after you think you've opted out? If you get a mailer advertising something or a call from a telemarketer, how exactly do you know what company gave them your info?

So you don't know the definition of hacking and malware. That's cool. And I addressed your other comments above. And no, you don't go on a crusade on AC in defense of BB, you go on a crusade on Crackberry to spread misinformation about Android, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Practice. What. You. Preach. Your at CRACKBERRY dude. We're here to talk about BlackBerry and how we can put our shiny new Z10's to good use (where's yours, again?) but you'd rather talk about Android and Mozilla. Like I mentioned in another post, it's unfortunate that there are people here that have enough knowledge of Android to squash your agenda. If people stopped talking about Android on a BlackBerry site, these discussions wouldn't have to happen. I don't know why that's such a difficult concept for you to grasp.

I think I fell in love just now.....

pantlesspenguin and reeneebob like this.
    05-02-13 10:11 AM

I chose Android so that I could bypass my hospital's security crap. Yes, Android had hack code to skip security settings. No one disputed it....because it actually happened! BlackBerry, with their terrible security, would not let allow it...BB wanted me to follow the rules. How is this a secure OS if there are apps whose intention is to bypass security rules!???!

And no one mentioned, or responded, or refuted, my statement about how you can not make Android as secure as BB10. It's NOT POSSIBLE from a PROGRAMMING/CODING perspective to duplicate things like 'Balance' that are OS level...with patch code? You had to have PLANNED it from the beginning.

Instead of arguing opinions, one of the fandroids should address my last post...if they get time and all.

Good for you, you violated likely HIPAA so you could not be in-convinced about putting in your password to unlock you phone so the data on it was secure if you lost it. Way to brag about being an awesome employee and circumventing the security measures put in place.

Also, why do you care about anything being secure? You don't seem to respect your companies security polices so why are you so concerned about how secure android of BB is?
    shief24 and reeneebob like this.
    05-02-13 10:14 AM
    @ filmgirl.....

We are not approving Balance. Straight BES on strictest settings. No BYOD.

Lesser security requirements I other agencies will. All depends on how stringent the levels.

05-02-13 10:15 AM
    Lol, and I'm the opposite, i think the black z10 looks like unfinished hardware.

Posted via CB10
    Hehehe.....different strokes, love.

reeneebob likes this.
    05-02-13 10:16 AM
    Android fanboy search using Google difference between microkernel and monolithic kernel.
    After that troll in some other forum.
    how bout you go google how much the general phone buying population cares about that when they're buying a new phone.
    05-02-13 10:27 AM
    OK so you got all pissy that no "fan droid" responded to your drivel, how about an "isheep" - as you lovely people would probably write me off.

First, I don't know what kind of former programmer you are but you clearly didn't work with a lot of Unix and Unix-like systems (and if you did, you either didn't pay attention or just want to troll now).

When you say "the separation of work and play partitions" is impossible for Linux, you're joking, right? Right? Because being a multi-user operating system is one if its tenants.

Moving on, I know Balance is really special and fancy and it seems just SO unique, but um, how do I break this to you -- it wasn't even first.

VMWare showed off the ability to do multiple personas that separate work and personal in early 2011. For Android. And there's a very good chance that wasn't the first either but it was the first time I got to see and test the concept.

Now, the implementation hasn't had much traction, but the idea is basically identical to what BB is doing with Balance - you have a second instance of the OS that you can switch to for different personas and the data between the two remains separate.

You're right in that BBRY built this container strategy into BB10, but make no mistake, Google could build it into Android as well -- in addition to changes OEMs can make at the kernel level and user level to offer a unified view.

Remember, all BlackBerry is doing to bring similar functionary to iOS a s Android is white-labeling Peak's product.

And it's not just Android. Ubuntu already has multi-user support for tablets that can run on its mobile OS. Add in an easy way to seamlessly switch or have a hybrid view model and its again, the same thing.

Considering iOS is OS X and that IS Unix, it's laughable to think Apple couldn't integrate a persona option too. In fact, with iOS it would be even easier since the sandboxing policies are more strict within apps anyway.

So it's great BlackBerry has Balance -- even if it's not actually on the market yet -- but to claim no other OS could do it or that this is special is laughable.

Moreover, and Qbnkelt and other actual IT professionals can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not even sure Balance would even get adoption in the most secure environments. I'd assume that if you're going to require separate security policies and separation on a work-issues device, you'd probably just lock down the device all the way and prevent personal content altogether. For the type of customers that BB, Good, Peak and others think make the market for this product, I have a feeling most who buy the solution probably won't use it the way it's sold. Why? Because dual personas sounds great in theory but in practice it's still a pain in the ***. Just like assholes like you circumvent password policies so you can have faster access to the intranet, people will continue to mix work and personal data when on the same device.

Also -- you seem to be under the impression that under the hood QNX is more powerful and more special than it really is. The reason Android and iOS don't have to build brand new operating systems is because they picked good kernels to begin with. BlackBerry and Microsoft chose cheaply underpinnings for BBOS (which to be fair was an f'ing pager with smartphone features grafted on) and Windows Mobile that required them to rebuild with the NT Kernel and QNX respectively.

From an architectural standpoint, BB10 isn't leaps and bounds ahead of the competition, it just caught up.

Sent from my Z10 because yeah, I have one of those too.
    "but but, qnx powers rocketships and spaceships time travelling Deloreans,doomsday devices and mah Lazor, its soooooooooooooooooo much better than that android bloatware and malware and that lame isheep software that "crapple" uses".
    There, i said it before anyone else could come in and read off their prepared script
    05-02-13 10:33 AM
    "but but, qnx powers rocketships and spaceships time travelling Deloreans,doomsday devices and mah Lazor, its soooooooooooooooooo much better than that android bloatware and malware and that lame isheep software that "crapple" uses".
    There, i said it before anyone else could come in and read off their prepared script
    You lie!
    Mr Fusion powered the Delorean!

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-02-13 10:42 AM

Not even senior members choose to acknowledge something when they know they'll lose.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 10:45 AM
    Not even senior members choose to acknowledge something when they know they'll lose.

Posted via CB10
    What? The post you quoted was actually the one in error.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 10:51 AM
    Stopped by to see what my old BB friends were up to. Long time BB owner who switched after waiting and waiting on the Z10. I got he HTC One and love it. You know whats really nice, when you want something its there. No more having to make it work by sideloading. All the best to BB!
    shief24 likes this.
    05-02-13 11:02 AM
    Stopped by to see what my old BB friends were up to. Long time BB owner who switched after waiting and waiting on the Z10. I got he HTC One and love it. You know whats really nice, when you want something its there. No more having to make it work by sideloading. All the best to BB!
    Nice to hear that you're enjoying the One! I mean that sincerely. Hopefully BlackBerry puts something out in the future that'll compel you to switch back.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 11:14 AM

Talk about an overly passionate poster. This thread is full of "overly passionate" posts from all members. You guys (and girls, if I'm allowed to say so, you know who) need to chill. The discussions on these forums remind me of kids on a playground. Some senior members are no better at discussion either, though they think they are better at it. I really have so much to say but I just don't care enough to put the time into finishing this post. Maybe everyone should care less too. The passion makes many people come across as immature in discussion. Now I just have to wait for the overly passionate replies I won't bother to reply to.. hopefully by saying that, you just won't reply.

Makes me wonder why mods don't have better control over these kinds of threads. This is clearly a thread that provokes discussion that is condoned by Crackberry, which means these discussions are exactly what to expect from these forums. Bunch of little kids (seemingly) having their way when they otherwise wouldn't be able to. Then of course, the mods crack down, in true "Crackberry Fashion", on the little details and slap posters on the wrist instead of getting to the root of the problem, which are threads like these, contributed to by posters on CB. Oh wait, I think I get it now.. these threads must be allowed to exist, or else these forums wouldn't have any more posters. Sounds like bad business for CB. This is my "Site feedback". Don't slap insignificant little me on the wrist now, just because it may have been in the wrong forum. If you really care about the site, you should take feedback from wherever it comes from.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 11:15 AM
    What? The post you quoted was actually the one in error.

Posted via CB10
    Yes yes, because the "Senior Members" said so, therefore I shall believe it blatantly. I don't know who's right and who's wrong, but I do know that it's interesting no one did reply until he challenged them too. I thought these senior members try to "right" every poster with facts? I guess it's just propagandic behavior..

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 11:19 AM
    Unlike most on here, I have owned both and I can tell you with 100% authority, that it's not even close between the two. The One is faster, better built, better screen, better speakers, every bit as smooth, quicker to load apps, better camera (debatable), battery lasts longer, much much more customization if that's what you want, and the list goes on. The "android is a mess" argument is bs, but bs that the uninformed like to regurgitate.

But BB does have the Hub...lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    kevinnugent likes this.
    05-02-13 11:20 AM
    Nice to hear that you're enjoying the One! I mean that sincerely. Hopefully BlackBerry puts something out in the future that'll compel you to switch back.

Posted via CB10
    Good word. If BB10 is a first foot forward, the future bodes well for all of us with regards to mobile technology.
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    05-02-13 11:21 AM
428 ... 89101112 ...