Oh look another android bashing thread, people sure like to make the competition look way worse than it actually is if you have used the best Android devices on the market.

Posted via CB10
    Berry_Pink likes this.
    05-01-13 12:30 PM
    I will be using a Q10 and carrying a Galaxy S4 to get the best of both worlds. I can do this because I am not a blind fanboy and like to buy products that best suit my needs.
    05-01-13 12:42 PM
    I will be using a Q10 and carrying a Galaxy S4 to get the best of both worlds. I can do this because I am not a blind fanboy and like to buy products that best suit my needs.
    You're not alone, and I definitely think this is the way to go while we wait for more developer support for BB10. No shame in that! I'll be carrying a Nexus 4 and Z10. A friend will be carrying a Q10 and iPod Touch.
    KemKev, mush10 and MERCDROID like this.
    05-01-13 12:53 PM
    Many of you are scoffing at the OP's concerns about security with Android. I never worried too much. One of the reasons I liked Android is the freedom that the platform affords. With a wide-open attitude comes some expected risk. I got anti-virus software.

But, in BB 10.1, your phone's file manager can access your home computer...without limitations. Would you trust your Android phone and all of the hack code in the Google Play store enough to give it complete access to all of your home computer files? I mean, as we proceed into mobile computing, will you trust an OS that was built to be an app player (iOS and Android) or will you trust a platform that was built from the GROUND UP with security in mind. Android and iOS realized years after the original builds just how important security was becoming and they are trying to patch things as they go. As a former programmer, I know how things look when you plan for them and I know how things look when you don't plan for them and have to react.

Be honest haters....I, for one, would not trust ALL my sh*t to Android's afterthought security measures, but I would to BlackBerry.

Yea.. they are advertising that their phone is everything our phone isn't. I don't think they realize that that's a good thing.

My z10 isn't loaded with Android bloat ware.
    My z10 isn't full of apps that are trying to send my credit card, identity and phone information to developers.
    My z10 isn't loaded with a bogged down default keyboard where I'm forced to buy swift key which requests full permission to track everything I type.
    My z10 isn't in constant need of anti virus software from the Google play store in order to keep me secure and in order to keep it running in good condition.
    My z10 isn't being used as a tool to spy on me through location services *cough Google cough*
    My z10 isn't constantly trying to figure out how to steal my personal information. Like hijacking all my photos through some Google apps named Picasa.
    My z10 isn't another choppy android phone loaded with an edible software that constantly tries to trick you into somehow giving it permission to steal everything on it.

I should add, after seeing several angry posts claiming I'm misinformed. This is my opinion based on extensively using Android from gingerbread to 4.1.2.

I'm not a misinformed fan boy, I just don't agree with HTC that it is everything my phone isn't. And I hope no one gets offended with me outlining several reason why my z10 is an amazing device.

Posted via CB10
    KemKev and Bobcat665 like this.
    05-01-13 01:36 PM

Be honest haters....I, for one, would not trust ALL my sh*t to Android's afterthought security measures, but I would to BlackBerry.
    Honest? Samsung has galaxies that have been given fips 140-2 certification . The same as BlackBerry. If you trust one why not the other? Because it isn't a BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    cckgz4 likes this.
    05-01-13 02:08 PM
    The HTC One sounds like an amazing device.

The Z10 is a great device, enough so that it has caused me to put put my SGIII away for a while.

There is no need to put down one device to say that the Z10 is a great device. Doing so actually diminishes how great a device BB has created.
    05-01-13 02:16 PM
    Yea.. they are advertising that their phone is everything our phone isn't. I don't think they realize that that's a good thing.

My z10 isn't loaded with Android bloat ware. What? My AT&T Z10 had ATT apps all over it.... and when I tried to uninstall them, I kept getting update notifications that just added them back on!! Z10 has the same carrier branded bloatware that my HTC One has... however, my NEXUS 4 has ZERO bloatware
    My z10 isn't full of apps that are trying to send my credit card, identity and phone information to developers. What apps would those be, be specific
    My z10 isn't loaded with a bogged down default keyboard where I'm forced to buy swift key which requests full permission to track everything I type. Bogged down keyboard? "Forced" to buy swype? Part of using Android is the ability to switch keyboards as you wish... I will say the 4.2.2 Keyboard and the HTC One keyboard are the best I have used (Z10 Keyboard is really good too)
    My z10 isn't in constant need of anti virus software from the Google play store in order to keep me secure and in order to keep it running in good condition. In "need" of virus software?! Who says that? How many people on Android get malware? If you do not want Malware on your phone, do not download shady apps... this is more of a user neglect issue than anything else
    My z10 isn't being used as a tool to spy on me through location services *cough Google cough* You are important enough to be "spied" on? Give me a break.. and hey here is a secret.. you must OP-IN to google location services...
    My z10 isn't constantly trying to figure out how to steal my personal information. Like hijacking all my photos through some Google apps named Picasa. What.are.you.talking.about?
    My z10 isn't another choppy android phone loaded with an edible software that constantly tries to trick you into somehow giving it permission to steal everything on it. See the above response

I should add, after seeing several angry posts claiming I'm misinformed. This is my opinion based on extensively using Android from gingerbread to 4.1.2. Opinion based on nothing but FUD...

I'm not a misinformed fan boy, I just don't agree with HTC that it is everything my phone isn't. And I hope no one gets offended with me outlining several reason why my z10 is an amazing device.

Posted via CB10
    Lol. I am not talking about fips and passwords and accessing the device, I am talking about the DEVICE ITSELF and likely some/all of the apps having access to your computer. The device ALREADY HAS ACCESS TO ITSELF, now I am talking about giving IT, the phone, complete access to the rest of your electronic life. If Android had such a feature (you can get an app to do it, but I don't think any of devices have it built in), you would have no qualms about all the Play Store apps and the Android OS itself having complete access to everything you've ever put on your computer? You people are becoming way too complacent. (By "you people" I mean everyone that assumes the dozen iterations of Android are looking out for your personal privacy and security....news flash...they aren't)

Honest? Samsung has galaxies that have been given fips 140-2 certification . The same as BlackBerry. If you trust one why not the other? Because it isn't a BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    The best answer is because of the way Google uses your info. They keep getting slapped on the wrist, worldwide, because of their blatant disrespect for privacy.

Sent from my HTC One
    05-01-13 02:18 PM
    You're not alone, and I definitely think this is the way to go while we wait for more developer support for BB10. No shame in that! I'll be carrying a Nexus 4 and Z10. A friend will be carrying a Q10 and iPod Touch.

I'm carrying a Z10 and an iPhone or an SGIII. No blind fangirl here either. I'm a BB fangirl again thanks to the Z10, but I also love my SGIII and my 4S, so no blindness.....slight astigmatism and near sightedness, yes....
    05-01-13 02:19 PM

The Z10 is a great device, enough so that it has caused me to put put my SGIII away for a while.

There is no need to put down one device to say that the Z10 is a great device. Doing so actually diminishes how great a device BB has created.
    Trust me, I had the Z10 for close to 60 days... before that I had the Nexus 4... now I have the HTC One. The Z10 is a great phone, for a new OS, but it is not even in the same league as the HTC One. I do not know if I should kiss the HTC CEO for pricing this phone so well (32gb $599 off contract) or if I should kick BBRY CEO in the Groin for thinking he could price the Z10 close the same (16gb $549).
    shief24 likes this.
    05-01-13 02:20 PM
    Lol. I am not talking about fips and passwords and accessing the device, I am talking about the DEVICE ITSELF and likely some/all of the apps having access to your computer. The device ALREADY HAS ACCESS TO ITSELF, now I am talking about giving IT, the phone, complete access to the rest of your electronic life. If Android had such a feature (you can get an app to do it, but I don't think any of devices have it built in), you would have no qualms about all the Play Store apps and the Android OS itself having complete access to everything you've ever put on your computer? You people are becoming way too complacent. (By "you people" I mean everyone that assumes the dozen iterations of Android are looking out for your personal privacy and security....news flash...they aren't)
    We all aren't important enough to need ultra security.. If we were android and ios wouldn't be see long like hotcakes. Would they? But I digress to the ceo of the world with all the secrets.... what you hiding?

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 02:21 PM
    The best answer is because of the way Google uses your info. They keep getting slapped on the wrist, worldwide, because of their blatant disrespect for privacy.

Sent from my HTC One
    And your saying BlackBerry doesn't have all my or your info?

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 02:22 PM

HTC is putting down every other device by saying their phone is everything that others aren't. I'm just agreeing with them and pointing out the good parts about the z10 that they don't have.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 02:25 PM
    Ultra security. Lol. Whatever dude.

We all aren't important enough to need ultra security.. If we were android and ios wouldn't be see long like hotcakes. Would they? But I digress to the ceo of the world with all the secrets.... what you hiding?

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 02:26 PM
    HTC is putting down every other device by saying their phone is everything that others aren't. I'm just agreeing with them and pointing out the good parts about the z10 that they don't have.

Posted via CB10
    Problem is the things you point out are not standard "problems."

The malware issue... depends on the user
    Bloatware... Z10 has it as well, but not every Android phone does
    Stealing your information... depends on how much you want to give up

I could go on, but you get the point.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    05-01-13 02:32 PM
    My opinion is that it is true that Android Apps have an "All or nothing" approach to installing apps, and many of the permissions are very invasive. We never know what is happening with these permissions enabled, and that is something that personally concerns me. There is no argument for this, or against this, but we know there is a possibility that very personal information on Android phones may be passed on to third parties. It's not a joke IMO. Google isn't exactly "Privacy conscious", and their mobile operating system allows developers to further exploit the end user if they please. Again, it is my opinion, but it is also almost a fully fact full opinion.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 02:37 PM
    Would you trust your Android phone and all of the hack code in the Google Play store enough to give it complete access to all of your home computer files? I mean, as we proceed into mobile computing, will you trust an OS that was built to be an app player (iOS and Android) or will you trust a platform that was built from the GROUND UP with security in mind.
    I'm confused about this. Are you saying that by linking our BB10 phones to our computers, the information is privvy to the entirety of BlackBerry World? I'm not sure I'd be too comfy with that. They've let malicious apps in before. Who's to say it wouldn't happen again?

And how were iOS and Android designed to be "app players?" The first iteration of iOS didn't even have an app store! And on Android, apps integrate into the functions of the OS just like BlackBerry does (and in some cases moreso, but I'd imagine BB10 will get better at this once more apps are actually available). Speaking of app players, Android must be doing something right if BB designed BB10 and the Playbook to run Android apps.
    MERCDROID, Drew808, SMocek and 1 others like this.
    05-01-13 02:40 PM
    My opinion is that it is true that Android Apps have an "All or nothing" approach to installing apps, and many of the permissions are very invasive. We never know what is happening with these permissions enabled, and that is something that personally concerns me. There is no argument for this, or against this, but we know there is a possibility that very personal information on Android phones may be passed on to third parties. It's not a joke IMO. Google isn't exactly "Privacy conscious", and their mobile operating system allows developers to further exploit the end user if they please. Again, it is my opinion, but it is also almost a fully fact full opinion.

Posted via CB10
    In the Play Store, many app developers will state WHY certain permissions are needed in the app description, before you even download the app.

Also, the Play Store has distinctions for Editor's Choice and Top Developer designed apps. Those are apps that have been tried and tested and proven to be top-notch. I rarely stray from those, unless it's from a company I trust (like apps for local places).
    Drew808 likes this.
    05-01-13 02:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    You have the choice to NOT install the app if the permissions do not line up with what you feel should be accessed...

So are you telling me that iOS, BBRY, when they install apps, they do not send potentially personal information to third parties? Further... what makes you think that apps on Android are sending "personal" information to third parties? What do you mean by Third party? a Developer of the app in question... or another company who profits from information that said app gives?

On android there is enough information to give the user the power to install or not install the app... you do not get that on iOS, WIndows Phone, or BB10. You do not get the permissions list. You might have an opinion, but do not put your opinion off as fact...
    Drew808 likes this.
    05-01-13 02:53 PM
    05-01-13 02:59 PM
    I love my Z10, it really is a great platform with tons of potential. BUT if the One was available through VZW, I would pick that up with absolutely no hesitation.
    05-01-13 03:02 PM
    That's really neat!
    05-01-13 03:08 PM
    05-01-13 03:15 PM
    I give up. Android is perfect for security and BlackBerry is terrible at it.

I'm confused about this. Are you saying that by linking our BB10 phones to our computers, the information is privvy to the entirety of BlackBerry World? I'm not sure I'd be too comfy with that. They've let malicious apps in before. Who's to say it wouldn't happen again?

And how were iOS and Android designed to be "app players?" The first iteration of iOS didn't even have an app store! And on Android, apps integrate into the functions of the OS just like BlackBerry does (and in some cases moreso, but I'd imagine BB10 will get better at this once more apps are actually available). Speaking of app players, Android must be doing something right if BB designed BB10 and the Playbook to run Android apps.
    05-01-13 03:21 PM
428 ... 23456 ...