Stupid question, but even more stupid if I don't know and don't ask!

What is NFC used for. It stands for Near Field Communication correct? Other than that, I don't know how to make use of it.

Suggestions?

Thanks
    Paul

Posted on CB 10 with my Z10
    07-15-13 08:36 PM
    NFC is used to transfer data from one device to another (media and docs). You just need to both device NFC to be ON its on network connections in Settings. Then you just place the two devices together back to back , less than 2-3 seconds the data will start transferring. Used it yesterday for the first time its awesome
    eBud likes this.
    07-15-13 08:43 PM

What is NFC used for. It stands for Near Field Communication correct? Other than that, I don't know how to make use of it.

Suggestions?

Thanks
    Paul

It's used for a multitude of things.

Most common is file transfer. You can enable NFC on two capable devices, put them back to back and watch a file you've chosen instantly transfer, no wires, no need for fumbling with settings, just NFC on, and tap devices together.

NFC is the same technology in Credit Cards "Tap to Pay" systems, and that is enabled in phones as well. You can actually use your Z/Q, even the 9900 to make secure transactions from your phone, with out ever having to pull out a credit card.

It can also be used to quickly switch functions on device with a "NFC Tag". I could buy a tag, program it to turn my wifi on/off, and stick the sticker by say my house door, so when I leave the house I tap the tag to turn off wifi, and when i get home, tap the tag to turn it on.
    bgregory902, Vijik and eBud like this.
    07-15-13 08:46 PM

Most common is file transfer. You can enable NFC on two capable devices, put them back to back and watch a file you've chosen instantly transfer, no wires, no need for fumbling with settings, just NFC on, and tap devices together.

NFC is the same technology in Credit Cards "Tap to Pay" systems, and that is enabled in phones as well. You can actually use your Z/Q, even the 9900 to make secure transactions from your phone, with out ever having to pull out a credit card.

It can also be used to quickly switch functions on device with a "NFC Tag". I could buy a tag, program it to turn my wifi on/off, and stick the sticker by say my house door, so when I leave the house I tap the tag to turn off wifi, and when i get home, tap the tag to turn it on.
    And I thought I knew it all. Wow and they say blackberry aint got features. The iphone don't have that smh

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 08:47 PM
    Yeah, but I think for now it hasn't really picked up yet. At least at where I'm at.

Not many devices has nfc for me to test it out! Haha. The Z is way ahead of its time!

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 08:52 PM
    Almost every device but the iphone has nfc built in

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 09:03 PM
    Used it to transfer songs and also 'pass' a Web page to a friend instead of copying then pasting then bbm'ing it to him.

Hope to use it for payments as Kris mentioned above... sooner rather than later. Cmon RBC!

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    So if I want to share a picture with my buddy that has a Z10, we have to have our NFC on and then select the file and then tap the phones back to back until the file transfers?

So if I want to share a picture with my buddy that has a Z10, we have to have our NFC on and then select the file and then tap the phones back to back until the file transfers?

Exactly, (and you may need to click share - nfc, if for some reason it plays stupid)

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 09:05 PM
    How about the tags?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 09:14 PM
    ShortcutMe 10, the Native, NFC Enabled, BBM Connected, BB10 application with Cards!

Doesn't get better than this^^^ Click to follow the link to Vijik's thread on his app
    07-15-13 09:20 PM

Suggestions?

Thanks
    Paul

It's not a stupid question at all. I still amaze my friends who have BB10 phones and don't know about it and best of all is they usually have it turned on. It sounds like it was answered very well though so I won't give you my version.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 09:33 PM
    also 'pass' a Web page to a friend instead of copying then pasting then bbm'ing it to him.

You know that you don't actually have to copy and paste anything to send a Web page via BBM. Right?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 09:36 PM

Great answer!

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 09:38 PM
    You know that you don't actually have to copy and paste anything to send a Web page via BBM. Right?

Posted via CB10
    True. Had a brain lapse. There is the share method of course. 'bump' just seems to be a convenient way as well...

07-15-13 09:40 PM

Tried this with a coworkers s3. The s3 requires some app for files to be transmitted. Z10 can't get theapp to install. S3 sucks.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 10:27 PM
    Tried this with a coworkers s3. The s3 requires some app for files to be transmitted. Z10 can't get theapp to install. S3 sucks.

Posted via CB10
    S3 needs "S beam" on in order to work, it's a stupid Sammy feature. I've transfered from Q and Z to a S2/S3/S4 before

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 10:33 PM
    True. Had a brain lapse. There is the share method of course. 'bump' just seems to be a convenient way as well...

It is! I love using it.

Posted via CB10
    bintheredundat likes this.
    07-16-13 04:45 AM
    Few things to add to the good answers already posted:

NFC on BlackBerry, in addition to supporting payment standards (ISO 14443), also supports Access Control standards (ISO 15693 and ISO 14443).
    So, if the proper apps get developed by access control companies, and B2B deals get signed with carriers, you should also be able to replace your access control badge with BlackBerry and even open your house door with it.
    BlackBerry has made the technology available.
    The reason why NFC is not used that much is maybe mostly because of the Carrier's greed where Carriers want to make money out of everything.

Another thing to add is, if you ever want to try NFC tags, avoid buying Mifare Classic tags (many of them sold under Mifare 1k and 4k names). Those tags are not NFC standard and therefore also not supported by BlackBerry.

And remember that for transferring files between 2 NFC devices, or reading a NFC Tag, NFC must be On, Backlight must be On, and the device must not be locked.
    07-16-13 07:29 AM
    Don't forget about contact sharing as well

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 08:29 AM
    Few things to add to the good answers already posted:
    I knew if I shined the NFC signal on the night sky Vijik would show up!

Posted via CB10
    Vijik likes this.
    07-16-13 09:23 PM
    I knew if I shined the NFC signal on the night sky Vijik would show up!

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 09:44 PM
    Used NFC to transfer a song from my Z to my wife 9900 and she was blown away. Now she is telling all her friends about it.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 09:50 PM
    NFC has been very buggy for me. I haven't had the chance to try it with a Z, but I tried it with an S3 and all I was able to send was a link, then I tried it with a 9930. The 9930 was able to send my Z a picture, but I could not send one to the 9930.

Posted from my T-Mobile Z10, no longer on the Sprint Meh network.
    07-16-13 10:02 PM
    NFC has been very buggy for me. I haven't had the chance to try it with a Z, but I tried it with an S3 and all I was able to send was a link, then I tried it with a 9930. The 9930 was able to send my Z a picture, but I could not send one to the 9930.

Posted from my T-Mobile Z10, no longer on the Sprint Meh network.
    When you want to transfer few bytes of data, all that data is sent over NFC and during the tap.

If the data to be transferred is relatively large, like a music song, etc, standard NFC devices, switch to Bluetooth and transfer that data over Bluetooth. The tap in this case just sets up Bluetooth and does simple pairing between the tapped devices. This is how BBs doing it.

Samsung, in addition to Bluetooth, also has a mode that is not standard (yet) and uses Wifi Direct instead of Bluetooth to transfer large files. If that mode is selected on S3, then you can't send large files to a BlackBerry using NFC (S3 switches to Wifi, while BB wants to connect over bluetooth).
    Sending a web link however might be okay as it is few bytes of data and that is sent using pure NFC (P2P) .

I haven't seen any issue sending any kind of data between any BlackBerry models (BB10, or legacy BBs).
    DocDRM likes this.
    07-16-13 10:23 PM
28 12