One of the main issues with Z10 typing or keyboard that has bothered me a lot has been not being able to start a new line in BBM or SMS massaging. In older BB handsets, you could use (shift+enter) to start a new line but in Z10 that doesn't work and neither does just pressing enter as it'll annoyingly just send the message. However, you could just keep pressing space bar till your get to the new line which is in itself a pain in the ****!

Anyway, I found a way to get around this problem and is quite functional and you need to get used to it too. I use the "Word Substitution" feature in Z10 to solve this issue by creating a shortcut which you can perform by doing the following:

1. Open 'Settings'.
    2. In 'System Settings', open 'Language and Input' setting.
    3. In 'Language and Input' menu, under 'Text Input', tab on the 'Automated Assistance' option.
    4. In 'Automated Assistance' menu, tab on 'Word Substitution' option.
    5. In 'Word Substitution' feature and assuming that you have turned 'On' the feature, tab on 'Add Shortcut' in the bottom of the screen.
    6. In 'Shortcut' setting, under 'Typing' and in the 'Original Word' box type '**' and in the 'New Word or Phrase' box keep pressing the 'space' bar until the cursor is absolutely at the end next to the 'X' (the delete mark) and then hit 'save' and exit.
    7. To test it, open either a BBM or an SMS chat. In the chat, try typing a word in the first line, peas the 'space' bar once and type ** and then press the 'space' again to get to the next line.

Now, you can use one asterisk (*) symbol for the substitution but that could disable you from using the asterisk symbol altogether and hence I typed it twice. Moreover, for your convenience you can choose any other symbol than the asterisk (*). Lastly, remember to press the 'space' bar after the word or punctuation or symbol such as dot (.) you would like to end the line with as the predictive testing will place the asterisk (*) symbol attached to the word or the punctuation which will not be substituted.

Hope this helps you guys! Happy BBING!
    How to start a new line in BBM or SMS-img_00000481.png
    How to start a new line in BBM or SMS-img_00000482.png
    How to start a new line in BBM or SMS-img_00000483.png

Posted via CB10
    Essoo, Tavro, Corday Jc and 21 others like this.
    03-15-13 07:38 AM
    Thank you! How clever!

I decided to replace with letter "L" in small cap because it is the letter that is nearest to the delete and return key, and I don't need the extra keystroke to get to ** . And it works!!!

PS: Blackberry, please add in a feature to do this in the next software update!!!!!!
    03-15-13 07:45 AM
    At first I read your post and was like what is he talking about. Then I went to BBM and saw it for myself. However, I have yet to encounter this as an issue since I bought the Z10 on day 1.

Maybe it's because I only use SMS and BBM for short messing as this issue doesn't happen in email or on the CB app for that matter. Never the less, thanks for sharing.

Posted via CB10 using a Z10
    03-15-13 07:46 AM
    At first I read your post and was like what is he talking about. Then I went to BBM and saw it for myself. However, I have yet to encounter this as an issue since I bought the Z10 on day 1.

Maybe it's because I only use SMS and BBM for short messing as this issue doesn't happen in email or on the CB app for that matter. Never the less, thanks for sharing.

Posted via CB10 using a Z10
    I agree. I was like WHAT? Now I'm actually doing it myself.
    calicocat2010 likes this.
    03-15-13 07:50 AM
    One of the main issues with Z10 typing or keyboard that has bothered me a lot has been not being able to start a new line in BBM or SMS massaging. In older BB handsets, you could use (shift+enter) to start a new line but in Z10 that doesn't work and neither does just pressing enter as it'll annoyingly just send the message. However, you could just keep pressing space bar till your get to the new line which is in itself a pain in the ****!

Anyway, I found a way to get around this problem and is quite functional and you need to get used to it too. I use the "Word Substitution" feature in Z10 to solve this issue by creating a shortcut which you can perform by doing the following:

1. Open 'Settings'.
    2. In 'System Settings', open 'Language and Input' setting.
    3. In 'Language and Input' menu, under 'Text Input', tab on the 'Automated Assistance' option.
    4. In 'Automated Assistance' menu, tab on 'Word Substitution' option.
    5. In 'Word Substitution' feature and assuming that you have turned 'On' the feature, tab on 'Add Shortcut' in the bottom of the screen.
    6. In 'Shortcut' setting, under 'Typing' and in the 'Original Word' box type '**' and in the 'New Word or Phrase' box keep pressing the 'space' bar until the cursor is absolutely at the end next to the 'X' (the delete mark) and then hit 'save' and exit.
    7. To test it, open either a BBM or an SMS chat. In the chat, try typing a word in the first line, peas the 'space' bar once and type ** and then press the 'space' again to get to the next line.

Now, you can use one asterisk (*) symbol for the substitution but that could disable you from using the asterisk symbol altogether and hence I typed it twice. Moreover, for your convenience you can choose any other symbol than the asterisk (*). Lastly, remember to press the 'space' bar after the word or punctuation or symbol such as dot (.) you would like to end the line with as the predictive testing will place the asterisk (*) symbol attached to the word or the punctuation which will not be substituted.

Hope this helps you guys! Happy BBING!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000481.png 
Views:	2099 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	141449

Name:	IMG_00000482.png 
Views:	2096 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	141450

Name:	IMG_00000483.png 
Views:	3367 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	141451

Posted via CB10
    Well played!

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    Pirate_King likes this.
    03-15-13 08:01 AM
    Most welcome! Just glad to help my fellow BBers!

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 08:38 AM
    Thank you! How clever!

I decided to replace with letter "L" in small cap because it is the letter that is nearest to the delete and return key, and I don't need the extra keystroke to get to ** . And it works!!!

PS: Blackberry, please add in a feature to do this in the next software update!!!!!!
    Most welcome! Just glad to help my fellow BBers!

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 08:40 AM
    in BBM it's a good thing, but SMS, not sure why you need this, because most times, the receiver still gets all the txt cramped together anyways.
    03-15-13 08:42 AM
    Thank you!!! As an English Lit major this was bugging the crap out of me not being able to do proper format.
    Funny thing thou is that in Twitter App where their is that 140 word limit and formatting is less of an issue, their keyboard has a return key.... (go figure)
    Pirate_King likes this.
    03-15-13 08:46 AM
    in BBM it's a good thing, but SMS, not sure why you need this, because most times, the receiver still gets all the txt cramped together anyways.
    I dunno about others but I tried it both in BBM and in SMS and it worked just fine without text being crammed up and in fact the text were neat and organized in lines.

Why not give a shot in SMS and see if it works without text cramming.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 08:55 AM
    I dunno about others but I tried it both in BBM and in SMS and it worked just fine without text being crammed up and in fact the text were neat and organized in lines.

Why not give a shot in SMS and see if it works without text cramming.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think you understood me, if you were to SMS me, and made everything look nice and fancy, when I receive the SMS, it's all crammed together. I have experimented with this in the past, where a friend, standing beside me, will make his txt all nice and clean looking, txt me, and my screen it shows everything all together. And same on his end when I was using my Bold 9900.

This is a great tip for BBM though, I am constantly writing entire msgs out but hitting enter and sending because I love making things look nice and easy to read.
    03-15-13 08:59 AM
    Yeah this isn't a great idea for sms since it just eats away at your word count in a message, also if the recipient of the message has a different screen size or resolution its not going to be formatted right for them.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 09:06 AM
    I don't think you understood me, if you were to SMS me, and made everything look nice and fancy, when I receive the SMS, it's all crammed together. I have experimented with this in the past, where a friend, standing beside me, will make his txt all nice and clean looking, txt me, and my screen it shows everything all together. And same on his end when I was using my Bold 9900.

This is a great tip for BBM though, I am constantly writing entire msgs out but hitting enter and sending because I love making things look nice and easy to read.
    Thanks a bunch for the kind words!!

understood what you meant but I tried it with sending sms and checked the receiving phone and the message was in lines and not altogether.

PS the receiving phone is BB 9900

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 09:07 AM
    Thanks a bunch for the kind words!!

understood what you meant but I tried it with sending sms and checked the receiving phone and the message was in lines and not altogether.

PS the receiving phone is BB 9900

Posted via CB10
    hmm weird, I guess it depends on certain variables with the receiving phone I guess. Either which way, a good find and trick
    03-15-13 09:15 AM
    Yeah this isn't a great idea for sms since it just eats away at your word count in a message, also if the recipient of the message has a different screen size or resolution its not going to be formatted right for them.

Posted via CB10
    True, it eats up the word count in sms but when you wanna send a message in lines, currently there's no alternative and perhaps BB realizes this problem and will fix it with one character count. However, I have gotten used to typing with some sentences starting in new lines and still do now. Therefore, sometimes I write smses and like things to be in order so I overlook the word count or even if it was sent as an mms x_x

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 09:24 AM
    Clever; thanks!
    Pirate_King likes this.
    03-15-13 09:27 AM
    hopefully in the next update they'll add back the BBOS option "enter to send message" !
    (Menu>Option>SMS>change to "no" for sending by enter key)
    03-15-13 09:51 AM
    Has anyone on this thread been able to use the word substitution list independent of autocomplete?

For example, i have autocomplete turned off because i sometimes want to purposely misspell things. Like, "Oh i know, traffic was bruuuuutal this morning.", or whatever. But i would like the word substitution list to work so that it automatically changea mn to minutes, mypin to my actual pin, capitalize my i's, etc. etc. Has anyone been able to use the word substitution list while having autocomplete turned off?

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 10:17 AM
    Has anyone on this thread been able to use the word substitution list independent of autocomplete?

For example, i have autocomplete turned off because i sometimes want to purposely misspell things. Like, "Oh i know, traffic was bruuuuutal this morning.", or whatever. But i would like the word substitution list to work so that it automatically changea mn to minutes, mypin to my actual pin, capitalize my i's, etc. etc. Has anyone been able to use the word substitution list while having autocomplete turned off?

Posted via CB10
    I had just tested it with auto-complete turned off and you could still do the word substitution but what I don't get why turn it off as you don't need it turned off to write uncorrected words and in fact BB 10 learns your unique way of texting or writing everytime and offers you the words you had used before on top of the letters.

To help I've attached couple of screen shots.

How to start a new line in BBM or SMS-img_00000485.png
    How to start a new line in BBM or SMS-img_00000484.png

Posted via CB10
    madx80h likes this.
    03-15-13 10:44 AM
    Hey,

Sorry, I miss spoke and said Auto-Complete when I meant Auto-Correction.

I like being suggested words and correct spellings, but don't want them to "auto-correct" when I hit space. I like having the option to swipe up, or leave them as is. What I'm hoping to accomplish though is still have my phone use the word-list as was possible on my 9800. So things like, automatically capitalizing i, using the mypin feature, etc. will still work. Like this:

How to start a new line in BBM or SMS-example.jpg

Notice that despite having Word Substitution ON, it's not changing (or even suggesting) things in my word substitution list while Auto-Correction is off. If you notice though because I have autocomplete turned on, it is still suggesting the words "unfortunately, unforgettable" etc. when I begin to type the word.

If I turn auto-correction on it will automatically correct EVERYTHING I write, which I don't want.
    03-15-13 01:07 PM

Name:	IMG_00000483.png 
Views:	3367 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	141451

Posted via CB10

What does it look like to the person who received it? They may get more / less characters per line than you do. It may, to them, look like you had a tab fest between two words for no apparent reason.
    03-15-13 01:16 PM
    This excellent solution needs to be added to the BlackBerry Tips and Tricks section if it hasn't been added already.
    Pirate_King likes this.
    03-15-13 01:19 PM
    clever trick! nice!
    03-15-13 01:54 PM
    What does it look like to the person who received it? They may get more / less characters per line than you do. It may, to them, look like you had a tab fest between two words for no apparent reason.
    I dunno what you mean by tab fest as you'll read the text just as it was sent to you and there are no extra tabs/space between the words even if you are writing close to the end of the first line as you'll always start in the beginning of the second line. This is how it looks sent from my Z10 and received by Bold 9900:

How to start a new line in BBM or SMS-1363380641986.jpg
    How to start a new line in BBM or SMS-1363380478510.jpg

Realize that there are no more or less characters by the receiving phone.

Please try it yourself first before jumping to any conclusion.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 04:01 PM
    If you BBM from Hub in landscape, the word substitution shows up as what they are, spaces.
    In portrait mode it looks like a new line.
    How to start a new line in BBM or SMS-img_00000368.png
    How to start a new line in BBM or SMS-img_00000367.png
    Pirate_King likes this.
    03-27-13 12:24 PM
65 123